Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Magical attacks and some other attacks don't show damage dealed to monsters (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9766)

lea2501 January 12, 2020 18:23

Magical attacks and some other attacks don't show damage dealed to monsters

Hi! lately I've noticed that many spells as mage or necromancer don't show the damage that they dealed to monsters, i have the "Show damage player deals to monsters" option set to "yes".

For example, if i shoot and arrow to a jelly, i see the message:
"Your Bolt (1d5) (+0,+0) hits the blue jelly (15)."

but if i fire a nether bolt as a necromancer the message don't show the dealed damage, showing only:
"The blue jelly quivers in pain."

I think the damage dealed is very useful and i like to have it, but why not for spells?

Nick January 12, 2020 20:13

Spell damage is more difficult because spells often hit multiple monsters. That said, it should be possible - I will file it as a change to be made.

Pete Mack January 12, 2020 21:43

You just need to do the targeted monster. If none is targeted, don't bother with damage.

lea2501 January 12, 2020 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 142297)
Spell damage is more difficult because spells often hit multiple monsters. That said, it should be possible - I will file it as a change to be made.

Wow! i'll love to see the damage dealed to targeted monsters with my spells! thank you so so much! :D

takkaria January 13, 2020 00:09

Yeah, show_damage is half-baked, that's my fault :) It seemed like it would be difficult to make the damage display show up well in the messages. The alternative is something like Sil's combat terminal, which would show you a list of all the damage dealt, then it wouldn't have to be in the main message text.

Nick May 20, 2020 01:26

OK, I think my optimism was unwarranted here. While this would be technically possible, it would require a largish amount of code and would result in either a lot of message spam ("5 uruks cry out in pain" becomes 5 individual messages with damage amounts) or only recording damage sometimes. Summary: I don't think this is worth it, for maintainer or players.

Ingwe Ingweron May 20, 2020 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 145635)
OK, I think my optimism was unwarranted here. While this would be technically possible, it would require a largish amount of code and would result in either a lot of message spam ("5 uruks cry out in pain" becomes 5 individual messages with damage amounts) or only recording damage sometimes. Summary: I don't think this is worth it, for maintainer or players.

Yes, that's what I remember of the conclusion you reached long-ago when you took on the gargantuan task of maintainer while we were play-testing the first new version.

Pete Mack May 20, 2020 21:35

What might be better is having multiple health bars (like PCB.) Say, for your current target and the next 2 most powerful monsters who are attacking you.

Tibarius May 20, 2020 21:42

damage shown for spells

+1 for the suggestion of showing the damage dealt to the targeted monster

Like Lea i would welcome it a lot to see the damage done with spells.

archolewa May 22, 2020 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 145665)
What might be better is having multiple health bars (like PCB.) Say, for your current target and the next 2 most powerful monsters who are attacking you.

I feel like this risks being confusing, especially if you are fighting e.g. a group of Dreads.