Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No Sell - I am convinced (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4550)

Raxmei June 15, 2011 21:05

In the absence of the black market you'd lose your biggest money sink unless you ramp up the price of consumables really high. Looking for random cool stuff there and hoping I have enough money is interesting for the first half of the game and I'd miss that feature if it disappeared.

I do agree that more things should be guaranteed in stock. Basic spellbooks being absent doesn't serve much purpose and low CCW supply has caused some aggravation but hasn't altered my behavior in any way I would consider desireable.

Bahman Rabii June 15, 2011 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 54798)
Some players may prefer to start with no armor and more consumables, or with a different weapon, or skip a bow when they're playing as a ranger. With selling, you can sell your starting gear and buy what you like; that's obviously not possible with no-selling, hence the change. If you have a better idea for how to start out no-selling, feel free to make your case.

I agree that it is nice to have these choices. I just don't think it is worth the cost. Sticking new characters with standard starting gear is not *that* bad.

If you really see this as an issue we could have a separate birth option to start with standard gear vs start with all cash. I am generally not a fan of birth options, but this one seems relatively benign.

dos350 June 15, 2011 22:00

no selling ~ why bother??

please no rage!

Derakon June 15, 2011 22:09

Because it's more fun!

Have you tried no-selling yet? I know you've said you don't like it, but I can't tell if that's an informed opinion or just your reaction to the concept.

Max Stats June 15, 2011 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos350 (Post 54820)

please no rage!

Trust me, you should try it. I thought there was no way I would, but it turns out I love it!

Bahman Rabii June 15, 2011 22:51

Quote:

Do you like heading back to town just to sell stuff?

Do you like being slowed because you are carrying heavy items you will never use because they are "valuable" for selling?

Do you like giving up inventory space you could use for useful, fun items?

If you answered "no" to any of the above, you may like no-sell. The only think I don't like is that I didn't think of it myself.

Netbrian June 15, 2011 23:04

Quote:

Since it means I don't have to sell anything, and compensates by giving me significantly more money from drops?

soyaki June 15, 2011 23:30

Trophy room

The thing I hate about "no selling":

finding low-priority Artifacts in the dungeon and deciding I need to keep, say, my stack of !CCW and thus I wind up leaving the Arty on the floor of the dungeon. The floor! It's disgraceful! :)

With selling ON at least I could find a good home for that artifact--and grab 10-30K AU on the side (though usually at the point this happens AU is no longer a concern.)

I think what would make me more happy about no sellling would be a special room in my Home where I can place objects and then come back to look at them--but never again use them. I think I actually would drag up that useless pair of RandArt boots (especially if they are a Unique drop) if I could just mount them somewhere nice.

I realize it's irrational. But hey, it's a game.

Bahman Rabii June 15, 2011 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyaki (Post 54836)
The thing I hate about "no selling":

finding low-priority Artifacts in the dungeon and deciding I need to keep, say, my stack of !CCW and thus I wind up leaving the Arty on the floor of the dungeon. The floor! It's disgraceful! :)

With selling ON at least I could find a good home for that artifact--and grab 10-30K AU on the side (though usually at the point this happens AU is no longer a concern.)

I think what would make me more happy about no sellling would be a special room in my Home where I can place objects and then come back to look at them--but never again use them. I think I actually would drag up that useless pair of RandArt boots (especially if they are a Unique drop) if I could just mount them somewhere nice.

I realize it's irrational. But hey, it's a game.

There is such a place. It's the end of your character dump where all your found artifacts are listed.

Derakon June 15, 2011 23:48

Every once in awhile someone suggests adding a Mathom House to the town, where you could deposit but not withdraw any number of items. I'm confident if someone were to submit a patch adding such a building, it'd be accepted.