Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Immunities (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10455)

Selkie December 8, 2020 19:32

Immunities

Do immunities to fire, electricity, cold and acid do anything more than protect your gear from getting destroyed? Do they function in the same way as a double resist?

Basically, I've managed to assemble my randarts to give me all four immunities. I'm just wondering how useful this is if it's only to protect gear. I'm sacrificing CON stats and a bit of speed for this luxury.

archolewa December 8, 2020 19:44

It also renders you completely immune to damage of thst element. If a fire dragon breatha on you and you have fire immunity, you take zero damage.

Selkie December 8, 2020 19:58

This is what I was wondering. So in that respect an immunity is probably more powerful than another 100HP and another +10 speed when I'm already at +21 speed with endless ability to haste.

DavidMedley December 8, 2020 20:06

Immunity is amazing against breathers of that element. I feel so badass when I walk up to an ancient red or Itangast the Fire Drake and punch them in the snout! Breathe all the fire you want, mudder fudder!

Thraalbee December 8, 2020 21:19

Just rememer not to ignore plasma hounds and other not-just-elemental attacks

archolewa December 9, 2020 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkie (Post 149888)
This is what I was wondering. So in that respect an immunity is probably more and the powerful than another 100HP and another +10 speed when I'm already at +21 speed with endless ability to haste.

Depends on the stage of the game and the class. Base elemental immunities are less important against Sauron and Morgoth, so Id rather have the extra 100 HP there. Sinilarly a mage might benefit more from the 100 HP since they have a renewable source of temporary resistance (and Banishment).

Selkie December 9, 2020 00:27

I'm a level 45 kobold rogue. For further consideration, I also have a randart flail that can offer resistance against the big four and poison.

I suppose you're right in what you say. When I come to kill the two nasties then I might swap around. For now I'm grinding the vaults for a better suit of armour.

Sky December 9, 2020 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkie (Post 149888)
T.. an immunity is probably more powerful than another 100HP and another +10 speed when I'm already at +21 speed with endless ability to haste.

not really, no. If you can cast resistance, no.
*Fire is great to have because you can walk on lava, ignore the balrog breaths that leave lava pools, and over time, you do save a few useful consumables from being destroyed. *Cold as well, *Acid not so much.

However, they are not that important. When you have double resists, you will take pathetic amounts of damage anyway. Remember, breath weapons scale down with the monster's hp, so a dragon wounded 50% does 50% of the damage a healthy dragon does.

100hp AND +10 Spd is a lot and i would not trade it for an immunity.

Estie December 9, 2020 03:15

I love immunities for the farming phase, for the end fights they are all but irrelevant.

DavidMedley December 9, 2020 15:00

You don't need ALL immunities for farming, either. If you have just 1 then you can pick on the enemies that use that element. I don't think I've ever had more than 1 at a time, honestly. But I don't play with randarts.