Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Calris? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8410)

icefyre June 5, 2017 05:06

Calris?
 
Hello all,

My ranger is currently sporting "Aiglos" as his main melee weapon. I just found Calris which seems much worse in the damage department and heavily cursed to boot. However, the +5 con is very appealing in a weapon slot.

Does it make sense to hold on to Calris? How do I go about uncursing it?


Thanks!

Pete Mack June 5, 2017 07:53

Enchant it above +0, and the curse will break with 50% chance every time it works. Otherwise, a scroll of *Remove Curse* will work. Aggregation is a bigger problem until pretty late in the game, when you have unlimited teleport other and *Destruction*. But it makes a great swap weapon, especially when your other weapon is low-weight like Aiglos.

Sky June 5, 2017 16:30

I dont think it's worth the bother. The stronger scrolls of *Enchant only show up late in the game, and you will soon be showered with weapons better than Aiglos.

Derakon June 5, 2017 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 121449)
Enchant it above +0, and the curse will break with 50% chance every time it works. Otherwise, a scroll of *Remove Curse* will work. Aggregation is a bigger problem until pretty late in the game, when you have unlimited teleport other and *Destruction*. But it makes a great swap weapon, especially when your other weapon is low-weight like Aiglos.

What does the aggregation curse do, roll up groups of weaker monsters into single more powerful monsters? :)

Huqhox June 5, 2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 121463)
What does the aggregation curse do, roll up groups of weaker monsters into single more powerful monsters? :)

Could be nasty

The baby red dragon aggregates (x20)
The Greater Hell Wyrm breathes
You die

Pete Mack June 5, 2017 18:19

It's certainly worth keeping hold of. He's a ranger, so all he needs is CL35 and Tenser's to use it. And depending on which version he's playing, enchant may be available in the store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 121460)
I dont think it's worth the bother. The stronger scrolls of *Enchant only show up late in the game, and you will soon be showered with weapons better than Aiglos.


joemaro June 9, 2017 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 121449)
Otherwise, a scroll of *Remove Curse* will work.

Hello all! I was told on IRC that there is no *Remove Curse* on 4.0.5. Are you saying this about the dev-version or is there a *Remove Curse* ?

Thankful for clarifying and happy to form part of the forums:
joe

Ingwe Ingweron June 9, 2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaro (Post 121549)
Hello all! I was told on IRC that there is no *Remove Curse* on 4.0.5. Are you saying this about the dev-version or is there a *Remove Curse* ?

Thankful for clarifying and happy to form part of the forums:
joe

In 4.0.5, if I recall correctly, there is no remove curse, however, Enchant scrolls will remove curses. You can enchant Calris up on its to-hit stat as far as +15. Usually not worth it, in my opinion.

joemaro June 9, 2017 14:40

Ok thanks for the clarification.

in my case i didn't know about the existence of cursed items, until i found&wielded the Zweihander 'Mormegil' (3d6) (-15,-15) [-10] <-10> , which ended that game because of no remove curse and enchant is too rare to enchant it enough.

Feels like an oversight in the design, but can't say how it can be fixed elegantly. (well maybe it has been fixed already i guess?)

Huqhox June 9, 2017 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaro (Post 121557)
Ok thanks for the clarification.

in my case i didn't know about the existence of cursed items, until i found&wielded the Zweihander 'Mormegil' (3d6) (-15,-15) [-10] <-10> , which ended that game because of no remove curse and enchant is too rare to enchant it enough.

Feels like an oversight in the design, but can't say how it can be fixed elegantly. (well maybe it has been fixed already i guess?)

You've fixed it yourself. When you play from now on you know that Mormegil is cursed so don't wield it

Angband is unlike most games in that you have to learn how to play by playing it and finding what's good and bad by experience. That's why it can take years to notch up your first win, but that makes it all the sweeter.

Although yes, the new curse system in general is a considerable improvement over the old 'sticky' only curse (IMHO)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.