Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FAangband 2.0.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10887)

Thraalbee September 12, 2021 09:55

Enjoying FAangband again! Happy to see the new release.

I am having problems with moving house to Gondolin though. This is the second character that fails to enter Gondolin after initiating the house move. Game crashes instead.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24639

Nick September 12, 2021 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thraalbee (Post 155304)
Enjoying FAangband again! Happy to see the new release.

I am having problems with moving house to Gondolin though. This is the second character that fails to enter Gondolin after initiating the house move. Game crashes instead.

This is a known bug, fixed shortly after 2.0.0 came out. I really should release 2.0.1 with it fixed. If you play the latest release from here the problem should not happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinkhog (Post 155302)
Just played through this to completion as a warrior, here's the dump.

Great variant, moving around the greater map through the different outdoor areas is really cool. Too bad 90% of the game is still in the regular dungeon. Would be better the other way around IMO.

I only noticed a couple of bugs, one is that items sometimes say they were found in the Arena. The other is that town building locations reroll every time you visit the town.
Also no quest on level 99 but I assume that's deliberate.

Going to play through again as a spellcaster I think.

Is the idea to move fully to Tolkein lore? As I noticed there's still lots of D&D monsters and stuff.

I had a feeling the town-changing thing was a fixed bug too, but can't find a reference to it; I can't reproduce it in the latest release, though, so maybe it's fixed?

Items found in the arena is interesting, where were they actually found? Any other details?

As for more time in wilderness and closer to Tolkien lore, I do have another project (Beleriand) on the go which I will hopefully be able to say something about soon.

Blinkhog September 12, 2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 155307)

Items found in the arena is interesting, where were they actually found? Any other details?

eg. "Dropped by Gothmog, the High Captain of Balrogs in Arena Town"
when it was actually Angband at 4700' feet, but happened occasionally in other locations too.

How do I move houses?

Nick September 12, 2021 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinkhog (Post 155317)
eg. "Dropped by Gothmog, the High Captain of Balrogs in Arena Town"
when it was actually Angband at 4700' feet, but happened occasionally in other locations too.

How do I move houses?

Thanks.

Move house is the '$' command; use it when you're in the town you want to move to.

Cuboideb September 13, 2021 22:22

Request for Android

It could be possible in FA and V (center_player on) to have the player always in the center of the screen, even when the character is near the edges of the dungeon? I mean, drawing a blank pad outside the edges.

This is a difficult request, but a lot of action happens at the edges, where the android port has the input widgets.

Ingwe Ingweron September 14, 2021 17:29

Nick, I'm at the tail end of my bug-testing, which entails going through all the text files. The same as before with Angband, I do this by creating a new test class and race. I've successfully done the class portion, but I keep running into a problem with the race. Aside from p_race and history, are there any other files that are necessary? Maybe ghost or race relations? Currently, I get all the way through the birth process, but then it dumps me out and no savefile is created. (The new class will work as long as I don't adjust the p_race and history files.)

Nick September 14, 2021 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 155352)
Nick, I'm at the tail end of my bug-testing, which entails going through all the text files. The same as before with Angband, I do this by creating a new test class and race. I've successfully done the class portion, but I keep running into a problem with the race. Aside from p_race and history, are there any other files that are necessary? Maybe ghost or race relations? Currently, I get all the way through the birth process, but then it dumps me out and no savefile is created. (The new class will work as long as I don't adjust the p_race and history files.)

First, thanks for doing this, it's an excellent test :)

I think it's likely race_relations that's the problem. It shouldn't be ghost, and the other possibility is store, but I think that's unlikely too. Let me know how it goes (or if you get sick of testing, in which case I'll probably follow it up). Ideally you should be able to add a race without other stuff breaking, so I may want to try and make that happen.

Blinkhog September 15, 2021 07:21

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought this item at the mage shop for 0 gold ... seems like a good deal

tg122 September 17, 2021 01:09

I just noticed that when I was in the wilderness and rested til sunrise/sunset, 3 days passed before I woke up. Sun rose and set 3 times each. I'm assuming this is probably a bug?

Nick September 17, 2021 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tg122 (Post 155394)
I just noticed that when I was in the wilderness and rested til sunrise/sunset, 3 days passed before I woke up. Sun rose and set 3 times each. I'm assuming this is probably a bug?

Sure looks like it.

Thraalbee September 18, 2021 14:26

Disappointing sling damage, what am I missing?

I'm at 1 shots/round. Why so low damage?
What is difference between avd damage/round and avg thrown damage?
Not like I'm using them in melee. I guess one is with sling the other without, but again - damage is not impressive.

a Sling of Velocity (x2) (+10,+25)

19 Rounded Pebbles of Holy Might (2d2) (+10,+8)
Slays undead, demons, evil creatures.
Average damage/round: 32.2 vs undead and demons, 23.9 vs evil
creatures, and 15.6 vs. others.

Average thrown damage: 41.3 vs undead and demons, 30.2 vs evil
creatures, and 20.4 vs. others.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24653

Pete Mack September 18, 2021 14:48

Deadliness instead of damage means the sling is horribly crippled compared to the crossbow. The base damage on sling ammo is just catastrophically low. With thrown damage, there is a large bonus for weight, so the base damage isnt quite so crippling.

Thraalbee September 18, 2021 16:01

Thanks! Xbow clearly more effective.

MITZE September 18, 2021 22:07

Basically, with O-combat dice sides are king.

That deadliness bonus? That's to sides. +50% deadliness on a 1d4 weapon turns it into a 1d6 weapon, but on a 1d6 weapon it turns it into a 1d9 weapon.

Sling ammo, IIRC generally stays around Xd2 to Xd4, while a crossbow, in addition to having a higher base mult, does Xd5 at base IIRC.

Note that the above only takes into account the deadliness bonus by itself too; slays and brands further add base damage and deadliness on top of that.

Slings eventually do become usable, but you have to have a x4 sling with branded high-tier ammo for it.

Ingwe Ingweron September 27, 2021 20:15

Bug: For Smite Evil and Venom spells, the commensurate damage estimates are not showing up in the information displayed for weapons or missiles, although the message display does indicate that such damage is being done to the monster being attacked.

Nick September 27, 2021 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 155560)
Bug: For Smite Evil and Venom spells, the commensurate damage estimates are not showing up in the information displayed for weapons or missiles, although the message display does indicate that such damage is being done to the monster being attacked.

Thanks, added that to your other bug.

Sacksquatch September 28, 2021 12:19

Late to this: Grats Nick and all!

Edit: Pardon me if this has already been reported. I'm a notorious skimmer. Played this (2.0) today on angband.live. Traveled to Belegost and moved my house there. Went down west stairs and then headed back in to Belegost to drop stuff in house, game crash. Attempted to recall into it but also crashed while fighting off uniques in that zone. Feel free to snag my save, it's under name: sasquatch

Cuboideb September 29, 2021 17:36

Im playing a druadan rogue. This character can sense all 'p' in the level. It's a feature ?

Sacksquatch September 29, 2021 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 155576)
Im playing a druadan rogue. This character can sense all 'p' in the level. It's a feature ?

Yes, Druadan get telepathy.

Cuboideb September 29, 2021 20:24

I mean the whole level for p monsters. Other monsters are sensed only if they are close to the player

EugeneLesnov September 29, 2021 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 155576)

For now I cannot reproduce reported bug.
I tried to create druadan rogue and telepathy works as it expected.
Moreover, my current character is druadan priest and in this case telepathy works fine too.

Please, provide more information about your problematic run (save file would be nice too).
Which version are yout playing? What type of dungeon (Standard WIlderness, Extended, Hybrid Dungeon or Angband Dungeon), etc

Nick September 29, 2021 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 155579)
I mean the whole level for p monsters. Other monsters are sensed only if they are close to the player

That's interesting.

Cuboideb September 29, 2021 22:27

1 Attachment(s)
Standard wilderness. In this level you can 'd'etect a dragon and an imp. The persons are always visible. Try the M command

Nick September 29, 2021 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 155584)
Standard wilderness. In this level you can 'd'etect a dragon and an imp. The persons are always visible. Try the M command

Thanks, confirmed, bug filed.

Nick September 29, 2021 23:34

Fixed version now on the release page. I'll try and actually get 2.0.1 out in the next few days.

Sacksquatch September 30, 2021 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 155579)

Sorry, didn't catch that you meant across the entire level.

Nick September 30, 2021 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 155041)
average damage/round on weapons information does not update when @ wears jewelry (combat rings, physical prowess rings, etc.). How does one choose what to wield without accurate damage/round information?

Is this still happening? It seems to be working OK in my brief testing.