Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FAangband 2.0beta (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10172)

Nick July 18, 2020 04:16

FAangband 2.0beta
 
There is now a (mostly) playable beta version of the new FAangband available here, as source and built for Windows and macOS.

This is an early stage in recreating FAangband built on Angband 4.2. It has most of the core features of FA, but some are still missing; also there are a decent number of bugs and balance issues that need attention. But it's more or less playable, and I figure having people complaining will help me fix it. In particular, there is a known (and annoying) bug where mountain levels are disconnected (workaround - leave the level and try again :)).

I am aiming to release a series of betas, aiming toward a 2.0.0 release. I am also hoping that this process will identify code and gameplay improvements that can be fed back to V.

Please play, enjoy and complain :)

MITZE July 18, 2020 04:35

Report Batch #1
 
Beornings: I haven't noted the full list of what's disallowed for bearform (I'm guessing it applies to shapechange in general), but entering your own home probably shouldn't be on it. It's cute with the actual shops, but who else is in your home that's slamming your own home's door in your face?


Flavor Text: Flavor text is missing from a number of things; I've specifically noticed torches, lanterns, and the general flavor text for categories of objects.


Level Teleportation Effects: Deep Descent crashes the game if read in the wilderness, haven't tested in the dungeon yet. Dangerous/annoying if you've been use-IDing scrolls.


Illegal Spawning: I've noticed monsters and objects spawn in the permarock surrounding the wilderness levels.


Magestaff Activation: Magestaves restore SP for non-mage non-necromancers, despite their flavor text saying otherwise.


The Day/Night Cycle: Nightfall wipes out the terrain knowledge for the current level if you're outside when it happens; there's no convenient [R]est option for waiting until sunrise/sunset.

MITZE July 18, 2020 05:30

Report Batch #2
 
Rune Knowledge: There is an odd issue with rune knowledge; characters seem to forget and remember all known runes at random. It ranges from just not recognizing that you know all the runes of a piece of equipment (i.e. marking it with {??} even when you know everything) to temporarily forgetting runes that you do know (i.e. not knowing what's on a piece of equipment when you inspect it, even if you should know). EDIT: The bug with forgetting seems like it's caused by something in town, either buying or selling. It seems to fix itself by saving and reloading the game.



Monster Knowledge: There appears to be some sort of (possibly only) display bug with the monster knowledge display under ~; there are things I've definitely killed with my current character that the game tells me I've killed none of. Perhaps related to the rune knowledge bug somehow?


Throwables: Stuff suitable for throwing (daggers, sling ammo, ect.) is marked up quite a bit, both making it a bad idea to buy from the store and an excellent source of income when you sell it.

Sideways July 18, 2020 11:29

Racial resistances seem to be off somehow, Grey-Elves start with 79% light resistance (even though the files seemingly specify 40%), and Ents start with -119% fire resistance (the file says -30%).

MITZE July 18, 2020 12:54

Report Batch #3
 
Shapechange: After changing auto-inscriptions via the object knowledge menu the game does not automatically inscribe applicable objects in your inventory—noticed as a beorning in bearform.


Shapechange: As a beorning, turning into bearform while wearing equipment that has unknown rules reveals said runes simply by doing so; might apply to shapechange as a whole.

moosferatu July 18, 2020 13:16

Thanks for doing this, Nick! Looking forward to trying it!

wobbly July 18, 2020 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147211)
Shapechange: After changing auto-inscriptions via the object knowledge menu the game does not automatically inscribe applicable objects in your inventory noticed as a beorning in bearform.

You can't manual inscribe either while shapechanged, at least in V. I assume it applies to both.

MITZE July 18, 2020 23:58

Report Batch #4
 
Rune Knowledge: I have a Cloak of Protection that is both too good and bugged; 27% rAcid, 80% rFire, and 20% rCold, and it has an additional rune that refuses to identify, even with scrolls of identify rune (unrelated to my troubles with spontaneously forgetting rune knowledge; I made sure that that issue wasn't in effect for the character before trying).


Visuals: Random @ glyphs occasionally spawn; I've only noticed it on wilderness levels that lead to a dungeon I think.


Sling Ammo: I don't know if it's just rogues--I've been told that they're throwing specialists now--but throwing sling ammo is far more damaging than slinging it for me, nearly x2 damage doing a quick check with my current state.


Artifact Names: Directly named artifacts don't have their name put in single quotation marks as I'm used to seeing, e.g. The Robe 'Insert Name'.


Knowledge Menu: A bunch of the knowledge menus crash the game, including the ones that show store inventories and the equippable comparison.


Knowledge Menu: Trying to view the home inventory via it leaves the game claiming you have an empty home.


Quivers: One can't quiver throwable but otherwise normal weapons; this makes throwing daggers, spears, ect. far less useful because they take up more inventory for less utility.


Egos: Various egos which should have maluses innately attached to them to not.

dhouseholder July 19, 2020 07:53

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Nick,

Loving the game so far, great work.

I'm getting a repeatable crash when trying to enter Talath Dirnen.

My savefile is attached, just try to go down the stairs next to @

The error is:

You enter a winding firstageangband:cave-square.c:1400: square_set_feat: Assertion `square_in_bounds(c, grid)` failed.

And then the segmentation fault/core dumped message.

Nick July 19, 2020 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhouseholder (Post 147233)
I'm getting a repeatable crash when trying to enter Talath Dirnen.

My savefile is attached

Sorry, I'm going to need your randart file too, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get that from live.

Holy_Rage July 19, 2020 10:34

Could a "rest until the sun sets/rises" button be implemented? (it was "$" in FAangband)

Necromancers' beginning spell (Nether Bolt) has a 34% chance of failure at level 1, even with 18/40 INT. A bit too steep perhaps?

Bat form (necromancer spell book 1, spell #4) does not reduce SPs, as in FAangband.

Very excited about this, Nick! Thanks for working on it!

Gwarl July 19, 2020 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 147234)
Sorry, I'm going to need your randart file too, and I'm not sure how easy it is to get that from live.

if it shows up in the same folder as pref files and char dumps the user should be able to download it themselves in order to send it over

edit: actually if you know what they're called the char dumps and pref files are all public,

https://angband.live/UsersName/Varia...rtfilename.ext

Nick July 19, 2020 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwarl (Post 147238)
if it shows up in the same folder as pref files and char dumps the user should be able to download it themselves in order to send it over

edit: actually if you know what they're called the char dumps and pref files are all public,

https://angband.live/UsersName/Varia...rtfilename.ext

So they'll be in the archive directory inside the user directory. The tricky part will be knowing the randart file name. In this case it should be randart_09b65405.txt, but I had to play silly games with the savefile to get that.

Nick July 19, 2020 14:28

Thanks for all the bug reports in this thread. A few are fixed (in development and on angband.live), and some are also recorded on the FA issues page. The rest I aim to put into one of those categories soon.

dhouseholder July 19, 2020 15:29

1 Attachment(s)
***edit: I did not see your reply with file name at first. I found it and have attached.

I have sysop access to angband.live (I am 'vert' in the discord).

Would you be able to tell me which one of the 78 it is?

<snip>

Holy_Rage July 19, 2020 18:01

Read Minds (necromancer spell, book 1, spell #5) is supposed to map the area around the spirit detected, but does not do so.

MITZE July 19, 2020 18:53

Rune Knowledge Bug Update
 
Narrowed down the rune knowledge bug a bit for you.


Just sold an unidentified potion in town and bought it back identified (EDIT: Just confirmed that AFAICT it's selling an unknown flavor to the store that seems to trigger the bug), something in that seems to have caused me to forget specifically the % resists on equipment--but not pvals or binary flags, like sustains or protections.


AFAICT it only applies when [I]nspecting equipment; the rune knowledge menu itself still claims you know the resist flags, and if you look at the character sheet it'll still show you your resist totals as they should be.

MITZE July 19, 2020 22:59

"You have no room for 2 Dagger 'Nimthanc' (1d5) (+8,+5)."
 
Nimthanc just generated for me--in a stack of two. Further, once I broke up the pile of Nimthanc they refused to stack again.

Nick July 20, 2020 03:40

OK, I think everything reported so far has either been captured on the issues page or fixed (possibly only in development). A few other notes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147210)
Racial resistances seem to be off somehow, Grey-Elves start with 79% light resistance (even though the files seemingly specify 40%), and Ents start with -119% fire resistance (the file says -30%).

This should be fixed now; it was only ever a display problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy_Rage (Post 147236)
Could a "rest until the sun sets/rises" button be implemented? (it was "$" in FAangband)

That will happen some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy_Rage (Post 147249)
Read Minds (necromancer spell, book 1, spell #5) is supposed to map the area around the spirit detected, but does not do so.

The area mapped starts at just the spirit, but then expands with character level.

MITZE July 20, 2020 05:30

Throwing Damage
 
Not absolutely positive that this is a bug, but the way things tally up for the throwing damage of various objects according to the game don't seem right to me.


Nimthanc: (1d5), +5 deadliness, perfectly balanced: 89.7 branded, 35.2 otherwise


Well-balanced Dagger of Melting: (1d4), +10 deadliness, perfectly balanced: 81.6 branded, 32.1 otherwise


Spear of Shocking: (1d6), +8 deadliness, normal throwing balance: 128.5 branded, 51.1 otherwise


Basically, I would think that well-balanced throwing stuff would be more competitive, but it looks like the XdY (and/or maybe the weight, I saw the commit) of the weapon are far far more important for damage than the deadliness bonus or even being perfectly balanced. Maybe that's on purpose, but it feels wrong that a spear with +1 side and +3 deadliness over Nimthanc outstrips it by so much, despite being nominally worse for throwing.

Nick July 20, 2020 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147271)
Not absolutely positive that this is a bug, but the way things tally up for the throwing damage of various objects according to the game don't seem right to me.

I'll have to check it thoroughly; it's entirely possible that the shown damage is not the actual damage.

Sideways July 20, 2020 15:30

Entry 74 in history.txt (character description for ents) has one space too many at the end.

The same monster was described as simply a "cutpurse" when it woke up and when it fled in terror, but as a "dwarf cutpurse" when I actually fought it; not sure if this is intentional, but it looks very strange.

A giant black louse just generated inside the northern boundary wall of a wilderness level. The square displays as a normal permanent wall when I'm not close enough to see the louse. I cannot actually inspect either the louse or the wall because they're outside the intended play area, but the louse shows up normally on the '[' monster list. (The game eventually crashed on this level, I think that happened either when the [sleeping] louse tried to wake up, or when it had already woken up and tried to multiply.) I guess MITZE already reported this bug.

Would be nice if kin summons from green-elf priests and the like would summon more green-elves, or at a minimum more elves, rather than just other monsters with the character p.

Sometimes the game just chucks me out for no apparent reason. Not completely sure if that's firstage or angband.live, but I haven't seen any other variants do the same.

Spirit nagas should be worth way more XP.

Holy_Rage July 20, 2020 16:01

In Belegost's Black Market ("7"), the number of scrolls of Identify Rune shown to be available for sale is superior to the ones actually available.

Buying and using scrolls of Identify Rune on an unIDed item does not always reveal the targetted rune. Used three scrolls to manage to get results on a single rune.

Holy_Rage July 20, 2020 20:40

Casting offensive spells against enemies occupying a tree or rubble square does not trigger a miss chance due to them hiding behind a tree or a boulder. Intentional perhaps?

While in wilderness (Thargelion 11), once nighttime fell, a skeleton kobold spawned right in the same square as @. Casting See Invisible didn't reveal it, it kept attacking until I actually moved away from the said square. Very thematic if intended, an undead clutching @'s foot and clawing :P

Sideways July 20, 2020 21:15

The game (apparently) crashes or gets stuck when I try to give-ID a resistance armour with some unknown rune on it. This seems to be reproducible, maybe dhouseholder can get you the files.

dhouseholder July 20, 2020 21:18

crash when giving items to shop for ID
 
1 Attachment(s)
Rodent has reported a bug. When he tries to give his armor of resistance to a shop to ID the runes it crashes. He says it is reproducible.

Here is his save file & the eight most-recent randart files.

Nick July 20, 2020 23:15

I've just pushed a fix to Github and angband.live which disables the store and home inventories from the knowledge menus, and fixes dhouseholder's crash - which was a dumb mistake in generating the levels with the entrances to Nargothrond and Tol-In-Gaurhoth.

I'm assuming this thread will continue to outgrow my fixes, at least until the weekend. I hope the bug-finding is fun and rewarding :)

dhouseholder July 21, 2020 01:14

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Nick,

I am able to enter Talath Dirnen 29, but I could not find a dungeon entrance after magic-mapping the whole level twice.

I also tried to go into Sirion Vale 36 but I am getting a repeatable crash. That's where the attached save is at.

MITZE July 21, 2020 03:19

Report Batch #5
 
Prices: May in fact not actually be a bug, but curses don't appear to have an effect on pricing; I checked what I would get for a cursed amulet I was carrying, completely uncursed it, and it fetched the same price afterwards.


Object Destructibility: Certain objects should maybe be immune to elements that their base type otherwise wouldn't be--wands/rods of lightning bolts vs. lightning attacks, for example.


Monster Confusion: Confusion doesn't seem to stop monsters from at least breathing (maybe casting spells too, I didn't notice that). Should it?


Monster Tracking: Probably unwanted behavior in regards to monster tracking and player traps; if the player, monster, and trap are in the right spot the monster will continually walk over a trap trying to get to a player. This worked to my benefit against Lokkak.

MITZE July 21, 2020 06:25

RFEs
 
Player Traps: Make the info for player traps display what element they do and the damage, where applicable.


Resist Potions: Make the info for the resist potions display how much % resist they give, or if it's a non-set amount give some indication of what you can expect.

Holy_Rage July 21, 2020 09:22

Sold a Ring of Hindrance (unIDed) to a number "9" shop in a small town (Eriador Town) and it did not ID the rune. Furthermore, the Ring disappeared and did not show in the shop's inventory (it didn't sell rings to begin with).

MITZE July 21, 2020 09:38

More Price Stuff
 
Prices: Enchanted ammo is still far more valuable than anything else; a stack easily goes for 6-10k, while most armor egos are a few thousand and the weapons generally aren't much better.

MITZE July 21, 2020 10:01

Repeatable Crash
 
Just tried to recall back into Amon Rude DL30 after leaving it after killing Mim; the game freezes when the recall actually triggers.

Sideways July 21, 2020 10:54

Maim Foe on Blackguards sometimes gives no attacks, only the stunning; and if that happens against a sleeping monster, you can stun them without waking them up. Not sure if the first part's intended (the spell description is ambiguously worded), but the second part definitely seems weird.

Sideways July 21, 2020 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147207)
Level Teleportation Effects: Deep Descent crashes the game if read in the wilderness, haven't tested in the dungeon yet.

Tested it in the dungeon, it didn't crash the game but there was a mysterious "you are thrown back in an explosion" which I presume was caused by the DD since it had no other visible effect.

MITZE July 21, 2020 13:34

Dungeon Entrances
 
At least the dungeon entrance at Talath Dirnen DL29 doesn't generate; I thought I saw complaints about other entrances to dungeons that aren't Amon Rudh, but I'm not sure.

Nick July 21, 2020 14:14

Dungeon entrances to Nargothrond (in Talath Dirnen) and Tol-In-Gaurhoth (in Sirion Vale) should actually work now.

MITZE July 21, 2020 18:57

Ego Knowledge Menu
 
The ego knowledge menu lists pretty much every ego as having most resists, nearly all of them at 80%.

Sideways July 21, 2020 21:15

wobbly and I were looking at the code here for "reversing" a resistance. The actual intended purpose of the code was not immediately clear to either of us, but I'm pretty sure it's not achieving it; it's deducting a (presumably positive) resistance level from RES_LEVEL_MAX (which is 0), making the res_level go negative (meaning negative damage taken), but there's code later to tone it down to 80% resistance. wobbly's look at older FA seems to indicate this code originally turned resistances into vulnerabilities, and got broken when RES_LEVEL_MAX (formerly 200, now 0) and RES_LEVEL_MIN (formerly 0, now 200) were flipped around.

Nick July 21, 2020 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147323)
wobbly and I were looking at the code here for "reversing" a resistance. The actual intended purpose of the code was not immediately clear to either of us, but I'm pretty sure it's not achieving it; it's deducting a (presumably positive) resistance level from RES_LEVEL_MAX (which is 0), making the res_level go negative (meaning negative damage taken), but there's code later to tone it down to 80% resistance. wobbly's look at older FA seems to indicate this code originally turned resistances into vulnerabilities, and got broken when RES_LEVEL_MAX (formerly 200, now 0) and RES_LEVEL_MIN (formerly 0, now 200) were flipped around.

Yes, you're right.

Nick July 22, 2020 03:39

Issues page updated. A couple of explanatory notes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy_Rage (Post 147302)
Sold a Ring of Hindrance (unIDed) to a number "9" shop in a small town (Eriador Town) and it did not ID the rune. Furthermore, the Ring disappeared and did not show in the shop's inventory (it didn't sell rings to begin with).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy_Rage (Post 147277)
Buying and using scrolls of Identify Rune on an unIDed item does not always reveal the targetted rune. Used three scrolls to manage to get results on a single rune.

These should be fixed (I think) in the Github and angband.live code thanks to diagnosis by Sideways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147296)
Monster Confusion: Confusion doesn't seem to stop monsters from at least breathing (maybe casting spells too, I didn't notice that). Should it?

Following V, monster confusion does two things to spellcasting:
  • A flat +50% to failrate - this only affects cast spells, not innate things like breaths, webs etc;
  • A progressive decrease in accuracy (ie chance of choosing the wrong direction) as the monster gets more confused.

Sideways July 22, 2020 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 147336)
These should be fixed (I think) in the Github and angband.live code thanks to diagnosis by Sideways.

Might be MITZE's shopping/rune-forgetting bug rather than my bug, MITZE's bug can cause weirdness with the ID'ing of "unknown" runes because they are actually already ID'd.

MITZE July 22, 2020 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 147336)
Following V, monster confusion does two things to spellcasting:
  • A flat +50% to failrate - this only affects cast spells, not innate things like breaths, webs etc;
  • A progressive decrease in accuracy (ie chance of choosing the wrong direction) as the monster gets more confused.


Does the "chance of choosing the wrong direction" thing still apply if the monster uses an innate ability like breaths/webs/boulders/whatever? I'm not positive that it does and it feels like it should.

Sideways July 22, 2020 11:44

RFE: can you make "stay still (with pickup)" bring up the same "get which item" prompt as "get objects on the floor" if the pickup_always option is on? Currently it just picks up all the objects in order, which usually means you pick up whichever object you just dropped to get room for the others, and then have no room for the others.

MITZE July 22, 2020 13:45

Report Batch #6
 
Monster Knowledge: Probably related to the bug I reported earlier, but Mim apparently isn't in my knowledge menu, despite the fact that I very definitely saw and killed him.

MITZE July 22, 2020 13:46

Repeatable Crash
 
Have crashes, I think they're related to shapeshifters (not sure whether it's the specific monster or monster shapechangers in general) trying to do something. When I paid attention to the last action before a crash it was a shapeshifter "intoned strange words."

Sideways July 22, 2020 14:12

My randart Iron Helm supposedly activates for 7d40 healing, but activating it actually does nothing. (As far as I can tell, activating it also doesn't trigger any timeout, so I can immediately activate it for nothing again the next turn.)

Summons and breeder offspring seem to at least sometimes spawn asleep; is that a bug, or an intentional way to tone down summon danger even more? (Edit: MITZE says even hounds and vortices are spawning asleep, both as summons and as non-summons.)

Nick July 22, 2020 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147337)
Might be MITZE's shopping/rune-forgetting bug rather than my bug, MITZE's bug can cause weirdness with the ID'ing of "unknown" runes because they are actually already ID'd.

Yes, likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147338)
Does the "chance of choosing the wrong direction" thing still apply if the monster uses an innate ability like breaths/webs/boulders/whatever? I'm not positive that it does and it feels like it should.

It does for missiles, doesn't (but agree, should) for breaths, and webs are directionless.

Issues page updated again, 61 open now :eek:

wobbly July 22, 2020 15:25

only 61? Surely we can do better then that.

I didn't see Mitze mention it, but he easily cleared a weapon of Angband of all its curses.

Also major bug: Vorpal Bunnies are missing from the monster list.

MITZE July 22, 2020 18:36

Report Batch #7
 
Elvenkind Ego: The flavor seems to imply that Elvenkind will gen with resist to the elements (Acid, Elec, Fire, Cold) and one other element (any other resist than those just listed). What it actually appears to gen with is rBase, plus a random resist which may in fact be something it already got. Either the extra resist flag is wrong or the flavor text needs changed.

Sideways July 22, 2020 22:19

Tried to re-enter Amon Rudh 30 by stairs with Mim dead, same result as MITZE's attempt by recall. Amon Rudh 30 just doesn't generate properly with no Mim. (Update: I do have Mim properly displayed in my monster lore, unlike MITZE.)

I managed to temporarily assume the shape of a red dragon through a DSM activation (so that activation worked at least!). It had no effect on my rFire though, I even still had the racial vulnerability from being an ent, or at least was displayed as having it.

Silver Crowns are displayed as yellow, like V's golden crowns (and unlike old FA's silver crowns, which were properly displayed as silvery).

Sideways July 23, 2020 12:12

I got a mysterious "error -- object property not recognized" upon recalling home from Nargothrond 39. No idea what that was in reference to.
(Edit: I looked into it a bit. This is a total guess, but my suspicion is that this is pushing high resists over the edge like the other high-resist bug did, thereby causing this error message.)

A high-elf animist successfully shapeshifted into a mumak, who was then displayed as a high-elf mumak! (I did not notice similar behavior earlier when a druadan druid shapeshifted into a scorpion.)

Did get some seemingly shapeshifter-related crashes later, and also a mystery crash on attempting to enter Nargothrond 41, only happened that one time so will be very hard to reproduce.

Nick July 23, 2020 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147347)
Elvenkind Ego: The flavor seems to imply that Elvenkind will gen with resist to the elements (Acid, Elec, Fire, Cold) and one other element (any other resist than those just listed). What it actually appears to gen with is rBase, plus a random resist which may in fact be something it already got. Either the extra resist flag is wrong or the flavor text needs changed.

Yes, flavor text there is still the original from O, even though the extra has been to be more of one of the base resists since FA0.3.0.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147352)
I got a mysterious "error -- object property not recognized" upon recalling home from Nargothrond 39. No idea what that was in reference to.
(Edit: I looked into it a bit. This is a total guess, but my suspicion is that this is pushing high resists over the edge like the other high-resist bug did, thereby causing this error message.)

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147352)
A high-elf animist successfully shapeshifted into a mumak, who was then displayed as a high-elf mumak! (I did not notice similar behavior earlier when a druadan druid shapeshifted into a scorpion.)

LOL

Issue page not updated, another day.

Sideways July 23, 2020 15:58

I am still getting "error -- object property not recognized", so something else must be also causing that bug (unless it's somehow being triggered by me...)

Not sure what that something else would be; I'm unclear on why this uses i for stats but i+1 for sustains, but even if that is an error, I'd expect it to overflow in a way that doesn't cause this bug. Maybe you can tweak the error message to include more identifying data (in a way that won't itself cause the game to crash)?

MITZE July 23, 2020 18:08

Report Batch #8
 
Curses: Various things about the curse system need tweaking/rebalancing. Certain threshholds of curse power have no distinguishable reason for existing (the 41-50 range for instance; since the lesser Scrolls of Remove Curse are 1d20+20 and I think the greater ones are 1d50+50, there's no difference between a power 41 curse and a power 49 curse. Unless the holy casters get curse removal that gradually covers that range?). Staves of Remove Curse have the same power as the lesser scrolls, but the latter is available in unlimited quantities in the [5], so there's no point to the former either. Lastly, an RFE for curses themselves: have the power of the curse have some measurable effect on how it affects the player (curses that randomly proc do so more often with higher power curses, the mixed blessing curses scale the blessing with the power and the drawback more aggressively so, ect.).


Mattocks: Mattocks do not appear to have a digging bonus attached to them, outside whatever their weight provides.


Potions of Dragon Breath: Show up too late and do too little damage to be worth messing with at depth.


Randarts: Not something that I cared about, but you seemed to, so for posterity randarts have lackluster flavor text ("Random foo of power 1750").


Dwarven Shield Ego: Is missing its flavor text. Again mentioned for posterity, you were debating on eliminating it entirely.


Mature Dragons: The various mature dragons do not seem to have any drops; not sure if that's intentional, but it's noticeable since the worms drop 4 and the drakes drop 6 that the dragons drop nothing.

Sideways July 23, 2020 21:09

To add to what MITZE said about curses, the mixed-blessing curses probably need to be rebalanced for percentage resistances; steelskin, for instance, is much more of a blessing than a curse in FAA.

Glaurung is now a level 75 monster and much buffer than in old FA, yet he still inhabits Nargothrond 55. That's not necessarily a problem if characters like MITZE's are the FAA norm, but my @ needs to get a lot buffer before fighting him.

RFE: would be very nice if each town had a consistent seed for the duration of a game. It would both be more realistic (buildings do move about in reality I suppose, but not that fast!) and reduce the considerable annoyance of having to re-find all the shops every time since you'd eventually remember where everything is. (Another way to reduce that annoyance would be to make shop entrances easier to spot.)

the the in "the so-and-so shimmers and changes!" isn't properly capitalized.

Sideways July 24, 2020 12:10

The game crashed when I used my last ?recall to get back to Belegost, and now I'm stuck in some kind of hybrid Nargothrond/Belegost with no ?recall. The game seems to think I'm in Belegost Town, but the layout and the monsters are still those of the dungeon level I "left". Taking any stairs predictably crashes the game due to the game's confusion about where I actually am. Recall might or might not solve the situation, but I don't have any and there isn't any on this level; basically, @ is screwed.

Nick July 24, 2020 15:35

1 Attachment(s)
Savefile is here:

Sideways July 24, 2020 16:28

Thanks, Nick!

--

A few quick notes:

- monster.txt has "name:lords of misrule" where it should be "plural:lords of misrule"
- the last 3 curses in curse.txt have capitalized descriptions, resulting in things like "It Drains your experience"
- the birth screen is buggy for races who don't start at CL 1, at least the character's displayed max HP is much lower than the actual birth HP and seems too low even for a notional CL 1 birth

MITZE July 24, 2020 17:42

Report Batch #9
 
Scrolls of Dispel Undead: Same as Potions of Dragon Breath, they show up too deep and are too weak to be messing with.


Message output: "hits the Druadan illusionistDruadan ."


Runes: Not sure whether this is a bug or not; several rune effects seem to have multiple runes attached to them. Experience drain, for example is listed under both curse runes and other runes in the knowledge menu. I just found a helm of the shadow realm, where I didn't know the experience drain rune. Read a scroll of identify rune, learned it, but when I put on the helm to test it out, the game told me I learned the rune again after doing so.

Sideways July 24, 2020 23:08

I'm getting crashes on level-gen semi-regularly and trying to figure out what's up with them by messing around offline.

Figured out at least one reason for the "object property not recognized" error, get_property() has no code for handling the ignore flags (like "ignore electricity") but there's an ignore electricity call in choose_type().

Edit: Rings of the Elements cause crashes on gen because of the off-weapon brands, this line for processing them accesses unallocated memory. (Also, the element-ring activations RING_ELEC and RING_COLD need to have their descriptions swapped around.) It seems like this is the main reason for the crashes, I replaced that line with "append_brand(&obj->brands, pick);" and I'm now getting far fewer crashes. I do think there's still at least one other crash that's much rarer, it gives error messages for a failed assertion in rand_div() on z-rand.c line 169 (where it asserts that m <= 0x10000000) but it's so rare I'm having trouble reproducing it. Will go after it in the morning if you don't find it first.

MITZE July 24, 2020 23:46

Report Batch #10
 
Two-handing: Certain weapons have the the " two-handed wielding needed" rune. Firstly, there's minor formatting typos there, secondly, there doesn't seem to be anything different in wielding them--in FA IIRC you had to put your shield on your back when you wielded a weapon with both hands, which did something to the bonuses you'd be getting from the shield, but here, it doesn't seem like there's a difference between a weapon that's two-handed and one that is not.


Hallucination: The game correctly informs you what you're attacking, and walk over, when you are hallucinating.

Nick July 25, 2020 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147358)
Mattocks: Mattocks do not appear to have a digging bonus attached to them, outside whatever their weight provides.

Diggers have an innate digging ability - shovels +1, picks +2, mattocks +3 - aside from any magical bonus to digging. If you look at how quickly they dig stuff it should be much better than an equivalent weight weapon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147383)
Two-handing: Certain weapons have the the " two-handed wielding needed" rune. Firstly, there's minor formatting typos there, secondly, there doesn't seem to be anything different in wielding them--in FA IIRC you had to put your shield on your back when you wielded a weapon with both hands, which did something to the bonuses you'd be getting from the shield, but here, it doesn't seem like there's a difference between a weapon that's two-handed and one that is not.

Yes, the actual gameplay difference is yet to be implemented :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147383)
Hallucination: The game correctly informs you what you're attacking, and walk over, when you are hallucinating.

I think this is standard in V. Maybe the Z-likes have a better implementation.

Issues page updated, 64 currently, will try to get at least a few knocked off this weekend.

Nick July 25, 2020 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147382)
IEdit: Rings of the Elements cause crashes on gen because of the off-weapon brands, this line for processing them accesses unallocated memory.
...
It seems like this is the main reason for the crashes, I replaced that line with "append_brand(&obj->brands, pick);" and I'm now getting far fewer crashes.

Thanks, done. Quite incredible that I made that function as it is for that purpose, and then failed to use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147382)
I do think there's still at least one other crash that's much rarer, it gives error messages for a failed assertion in rand_div() on z-rand.c line 169 (where it asserts that m <= 0x10000000) but it's so rare I'm having trouble reproducing it. Will go after it in the morning if you don't find it first.

Possibly this is actually the same problem, but for slays (a few lines down from where you found the last one). More likely though it's some bad call to randint0() (or randint1()) where it's been fed a silly (probably negative) value.

Nick July 25, 2020 02:56

OK, fixed the outstanding crash bugs (I think), but now there are 67 open issues so clearly I can't count.

Sideways July 25, 2020 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 147386)
OK, fixed the outstanding crash bugs (I think), but now there are 67 open issues so clearly I can't count.

Am I hallucinating this, or should the chest level fix be "MIN(obj->kind->level, 55)" rather than MAX?

Nick July 25, 2020 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147394)
Am I hallucinating this, or should the chest level fix be "MIN(obj->kind->level, 55)" rather than MAX?

No, that's correct :rolleyes:

MITZE July 25, 2020 18:32

Nargothrond DL55
 
Game freezes on me when I attempt to enter Nargothrond DL55, presumably because of something related to Glaurung.

wobbly July 25, 2020 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147401)
Game freezes on me when I attempt to enter Nargothrond DL55, presumably because of something related to Glaurung.

Not sure if it is the issue, but Glaurung is depth 75 with a force_depth flag so I've been wondering if he will actually gen or not.

MITZE July 25, 2020 23:02

Stair Detection
 
Not sure if it's intentional and/or limited to the Detect Stairs spell in the mage realm, but Detect Stairs doesn't seem to detect wilderness exits (but it will detect dungeon stairs just fine).

Nick July 26, 2020 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 147402)
Not sure if it is the issue, but Glaurung is depth 75 with a force_depth flag so I've been wondering if he will actually gen or not.

Yeah, that was it, fixed now.

Also detect stairs is currently intended not to detect wilderness exits, we'll see how that goes.

Several other fixes by the awesome backwardsEric pushed to Github and angband.live:
  • Probable fix for most of the "Egos not getting bad stuff" problem
  • Fix to the birth screen HP problem
  • Another fix also in V that means @ notices secret doors on their first turn on the level as for every other turn

Nick July 26, 2020 03:36

More fixes made and pushed:
  • Glaurung can now generate (I hope), and has less HP
  • Fix by Sideways to negative resists not happening as often as they should (#73)
  • Fix to high dragons not dropping anything (#87)
  • Fix by backwardsEric allowing access to birth options from quickstart
  • Fix to web placement in valleys (#80)
  • Adjust wands of Dragon's Breath (etc) so they get the device skill boost (correct now after 4 attempts)

That's probably it for this weekend.

Sideways July 26, 2020 13:26

I think I know now what's causing the Maim Foe issues. For some reason Maim Foe is designed to be used with targets rather than directions, even though it only works against adjacent monsters. Since it is much more intuitive to use directions I do that a lot, and it results in the weird partial success of issue #71. The fix should be to support directions :) And maybe review whether getting stunned should automatically wake up monsters.

Nick July 26, 2020 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147413)
I think I know now what's causing the Maim Foe issues. For some reason Maim Foe is designed to be used with targets rather than directions, even though it only works against adjacent monsters. Since it is much more intuitive to use directions I do that a lot, and it results in the weird partial success of issue #71. The fix should be to support directions :) And maybe review whether getting stunned should automatically wake up monsters.

Maim is actually implemented as a short beam, so directions should be fine. I'll have to test. And yes, I think stunning should wake monsters.

EDIT:Ignore that, I'm an idiot.

MITZE July 26, 2020 16:26

Ego Maluses
 
The fix that supposedly enabled mixed blessing egos to receive their maluses appears to have not taken--at least, I looked at a weapon of Angband and a hat of Trollkind and I still see no maluses, aside from curses on the Angband weapon that are nominally removable.

Sideways July 26, 2020 16:29

Lanterns of shadows do have -4 light now, though.

MITZE July 26, 2020 23:41

Glaurung
 
Glaurung doesn't seem to have any luck calling for aid when he summons; he cast the spell without crashes, but nobody came when both rodent and I fought him.


Honestly, when FirstAge is less of a beta you might want to ruminate more on what you want him to be; he seemed kind of lackluster as a fight, without his summons especially so.

Sideways July 26, 2020 23:44

The description for RESTORE_MANA implies it is not a full mana restore, but it is.

The Phantom of Eilinel is misspelled; also, there's a typo in the description for Bows of the Ossiriand ("It's wielder").

RFE: would be very nice to have Exo's patch for producing CharOutput.txt. It's mostly for angband.live, but I think the Frog patch has helped me a couple times offline too.

There's at least one massively exploitable bug with Leap into Battle. The code for moving the player towards the target only checks if the squares in between are passable, not whether there are monsters in them. If there is a monster in one of the in-between squares, the player will try to move through that square anyway and therefore attacks the monster in it (for a full round of attacks, not the limited blows Leap into Battle normally gives, since it's a normal move)... and if the monster doesn't die, the MOVE_ATTACK moving algorithm will select the same move again next time and give the player another full round of attacks, continuing until the monster does die or Leap into Battle runs out of moves. You can get 20 attacks against a single monster in one turn this way.

MITZE July 27, 2020 01:08

Report Batch #11
 
Monster memory: does not mention is a given monster is a flier. Useful to know for traps, and may not be immediately obvious, seeing as how I didn't know the pre-Angband dragons were flightless.


Fear: Certain enemies should not ever get scared, whether from magic or from low health. Golems, for instance--I've seen them start running at low health.

Gwarl July 27, 2020 02:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147424)
RFE: would be very nice to have Exo's patch for producing CharOutput.txt. It's mostly for angband.live, but I think the Frog patch has helped me a couple times offline too.

Oh no actually I just need to inform it that firstageangband is a V-like, which it will understand implicitly when I get round to just having it listed as the nightly build of faangband. I'll get round to that soon.

MITZE July 27, 2020 04:03

Shop Talk
 
Shopkeepers still tell you about the old resistance system; 1/3 for resistance and presumably 1/9 for permanent and temporary resists.

wobbly July 27, 2020 11:23

There's either a bug or bad design navigating the world map. I'm in Menegroth & on the map I can see Amon Rudh is on the left. If I press up the branch for the valley of Nan Dungortheb opens up on the map & now Amon Rudh is on the right of me.

wobbly July 27, 2020 12:00

I don't think a druid's martial arts are displaying correct damage on the character sheet.

Sideways July 27, 2020 12:54

Maim Foe causes the game to crash if you target an adjacent square with no monster in it. This does not happen if you target an empty direction, which is probably why I didn't catch it before ;)

Nick July 27, 2020 14:32

Maim Foe should now work properly, including only stunning when a blow hits. Forceful Blow should also now only throw the monster back when the blow actually hits.

These changes will need to go into V too.

Sideways July 27, 2020 19:36

I got insta-killed on DL 90 by what appears to be a bug. Smaug breathed dragonfire on me for 1000 damage (more than my max HP) because dragonfire is presently unresistable. Although there are resistance calculations for dragonfire here, the "special damage" they calculate isn't actually used for anything, and adjust_dam() ignores it and eventually returns the original unresisted full damage instead. Hellfire appears to have the same problem; both should have "return special_dam;" appended to their code.

Nick July 27, 2020 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147437)
I got insta-killed on DL 90 by what appears to be a bug. Smaug breathed dragonfire on me for 1000 damage (more than my max HP) because dragonfire is presently unresistable. Although there are resistance calculations for dragonfire here, the "special damage" they calculate isn't actually used for anything, and adjust_dam() ignores it and eventually returns the original unresisted full damage instead. Hellfire appears to have the same problem; both should have "return special_dam;" appended to their code.

Bug fixed now :(

MITZE July 28, 2020 02:51

Report Batch #12
 
Hard Biscuits: More of a silly RFE, but they should deal a small amount of HP damage when they nearly break a tooth. Also they should be throwable, since they're so hard.


Shapechangers: should probably be prohibited from mimicking uniques. Maia of Aule keep turning into Quaker on me, after I already killed him no less!

MITZE July 28, 2020 03:59

Great Elementals
 
Checking the monster list; I've seen at least one 'Great Earth Elemental,' whose average life rating is apparently zero and whose killed column is filled with 'shape.'


This supposed to indicate that it only ever appears as a shapechange?

Nick July 28, 2020 14:30

Latest on Github and angband.live has the Leap into Battle exploit removed, and ego items with bad properties (weapons of Angband, hats of Trollkind, etc) generating properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147443)
Checking the monster list; I've seen at least one 'Great Earth Elemental,' whose average life rating is apparently zero and whose killed column is filled with 'shape.'

This supposed to indicate that it only ever appears as a shapechange?

That's right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147439)
Shapechangers: should probably be prohibited from mimicking uniques. Maia of Aule keep turning into Quaker on me, after I already killed him no less!

This is a deliberate design feature. Wait until you see something change into Huan.

Holy_Rage July 28, 2020 16:11

Rings of Mobility do not always offer Free Action; please check out the runes/item properties before wearing one!

Sideways July 28, 2020 16:36

I'm getting weird coloring and bad formatting on the birth screen while playing on angband.live. I'm pretty sure I know what's causing this, since Frog used to have the same bug: the early screens are displayed before various Angband-specific things like the proper colors are loaded (and before the first call to TERM_XTRA_REACT), so they use the system's default colors and settings instead.

Winged dragon of powers should be pluralized as winged dragons of power :) Same for winged dragon of Ilmens.

Is that one-way connection between Nan Dungortheb 70 and Doriath 24 supposed to be like that?

Update on #53: I'm also getting extra @s on levels with dungeon entrances, it seems to happen when I recall to such a level but I've yet to see it when I get there by stairs. The extra @ changes color with regular @ if my HP takes a hit.

Nick July 28, 2020 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy_Rage (Post 147466)
Rings of Mobility do not always offer Free Action; please check out the runes/item properties before wearing one!

OK that's a bug, they should.

MITZE July 28, 2020 23:46

FirstAge Archery
 
I'm going to be starting a Ranger so I'll probably get a better feel for it with a class that's supposed to specialize in ranged damage, but my experience with the rogue tells me--and rodent/Sideways agrees, I think--that the current state of archery feels pretty underpowered; shooting doesn't feel like it does competitive damage, my best numbers have been with branded multiple shots a round, and even then it felt subpar.


Something that I think might be affecting it--though I might be remembering wrongly--is that as per old FA O-style combat deadliness from non-shooter non-ammo equipment applied to shooting as well as melee, whereas currently it only applies to melee (I'm guessing as a consequence of non-O mechanics).

Nick July 29, 2020 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 147482)
Something that I think might be affecting it--though I might be remembering wrongly--is that as per old FA O-style combat deadliness from non-shooter non-ammo equipment applied to shooting as well as melee, whereas currently it only applies to melee (I'm guessing as a consequence of non-O mechanics).

Yes, archery in O was quite different to V. I'm going to move to more exactly original O-combat at some point, which may mean ditching V-combat altogether.

Sideways July 29, 2020 15:56

1 Attachment(s)
I'm getting a reproducible crash on trying to re-enter Ephel Brandir here. You can download the files below (thanks to dhouseholder for getting them!) but I think they're probably unnecessary, it seems trying to re-enter any town at night causes a reproducible crash now.

MITZE July 29, 2020 18:19

RFE: Missing FA stuff
 
Didn't see any of this in the existing issues or in the 2.0 milestone stuff on Git, so for the record:


There are some things from old FA still absent from FirstAge; uniques like The Desperate Adventurer and artifacts like the art devices among them (EDIT: also wands of shrapnel).

wobbly July 30, 2020 17:19

Inventory bug that's probably in vanilla too. I refueled from a stack of 2 lanterns with a full pack and my long bow dropped out of my pack.

Sideways July 30, 2020 18:26

Running frequently works in unexpected and often counterproductive ways, especially in the wilderness. It runs past items, runs past road intersections, successfully follows a road if and only if I don't want it to follow that road, and sometimes changes direction by 45 degrees in the middle of nowhere :)

Spider webs don't seem to work in tree areas.

Dagmor should be buffed somehow, it's really, really weak with O combat.

The average damage/round for unarmed combat doesn't seem to be displayed anywhere, which makes it very hard to compare armed and unarmed options, especially if show_damage is not on.

--

A few things that would be very nice to have:

- digging not auto-repeating if the player has a 0% chance of clearing the obstacle
- more transparency in the speciality selection menu (I've had to code-dive to figure out which ones I actually want)
- some way to highlight unidentified items on the object list, either through special coloring or by moving them to the top of the list (some way to travel to them automatically would be doubly nice!)
- item origins including the location (e.g. Nargothrond or West Beleriand) in addition to the depth

MITZE July 31, 2020 05:08

Report Batch #13
 
Dark Nagas: "hurt by cold, but resists cold and poison"


Jewellery: I've occasionally seen jewellery that have no bonuses or maluses. Rings of Hindrance should probably have their flavor text reworked or be guaranteed to have maluses.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.