Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taking advantage of multiple pvals (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4060)

Derakon January 22, 2011 00:21

Taking advantage of multiple pvals
 
It's brainstorming time! Now that multiple pvals are on the cards, how would you recommend changing items in Angband?

Here's my suggestions on artifacts, made without overmuch thought put into them:

* Ringil used to give +1 to all stats and speed, way back in the day. That went away when decimal speed was added. I doubt it'll change its balance too much to bring this back.
* Give Thorin -4 to stealth or -2 INT/WIS.
* Give Beruthiel +6 to INT/WIS to make the -5 STR/DEX/CON more tempting.
* Give Gorlim +4 STR/CON for similar reasons.
* Nerf Dal-I-Thalion's speed bonus to +2 or +3 on the theory that it's a bit too good as stands.
* Give Thror -1 to stealth, likewise.
* Give Wormtongue -2 to STR or CON (probably not both), likewise. All of the boot artifacts are pretty awesome, really, especially compared to the non-BoS egos they compete with.
* Modify the 'thancs:
* Narthanc: -1 STR/INT
* Nimthanc: -1 WIS/DEX
* Dethanc: -1 CON/CHA
* Give Mormegil +4 to STR/DEX/CON
* Nerf Gondricam's DEX bonus to +2
* Nerf Sting's blows bonus to +1, and remove its speed bonus.

And about here I run out of steam, a bit over halfway through the artifacts list...

And a general suggestion: replace AGGRAVATE with huge stealth maluses: good? bad?

Remember you can also make suggestions for egos, both existing and any new ideas you might have.

celem January 22, 2011 02:31

Only one of those I've seen yet is Wormtongue Boots.
I'd agree the +3 to 3 stats is kinda overkill at the point where they drop.

The dex is nice and in character for speedy style boots but it has a huge impact on play through number of blows, especially due to their shallow location.
They compete with boot of stealth/free action/feather fall and the like...no contest

Loving them for my warrior, but cant help but feel they're a little bit too good, could always up the -hit/-dam to aim them more at casters

Nick January 22, 2011 03:47

Excellent plan - I don't know the current state of the V artifact set very well, but your suggestions look reasonable at face value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 47317)
And a general suggestion: replace AGGRAVATE with huge stealth maluses: good? bad?

I like this as a general plan, to be considered case by case. I would also suggest that if (as I believe is intended) curses become more interesting, then aggravation becomes a curse.

Quote:

Remember you can also make suggestions for egos, both existing and any new ideas you might have.
I have already had some fun with FA egos, which might be worth a look. One of my favourites was removing the (boring) armour of Resist Foo and weapons of Slay Foo, and replacing them with more mixed blessing things, eg

Code:

N:3:of Ered Engrin
X:5:0
W:0:10:0:1000
T:37:1:18
C:0:0:10
B:RES_FIRE[40] | STEALTH[-2]
F:CUT_RAND | SLOW_REGEN | HOLD_LIFE | XTRA_TO_A | SHOW_CURSE | PERMA_CURSE
I:HOLD_LIFE | CUT_RAND | SLOW_REGEN
D:Forged in the fire of Angband beneath the Iron Mountains, this rough iron
D:suit of armour is hard on your body, but will defend against the dread touch
D:of Morgoth's servants.

and

Code:

N:85:of Sneaking
X:7:0
T:21:0:2
T:22:0:2
T:23:0:11
W:0:12:0:500
B:SLAY_TROLL[20] | SLAY_GIANT[20] | STEALTH[3]
F:LIGHT | TELEPORT | DRAIN_MANA | SHOW_CURSE | PERMA_CURSE
I:SLAY_TROLL | SLAY_GIANT | TELEPORT | DRAIN_MANA
D:This weapon is small and light, making it ideal for use against the large and
D:slow-witted. Unfortunately it will also use up your magical energy to
D:teleport you around randomly.


Atarlost January 22, 2011 04:37

with permacurse? Doesn't that mean that you can't even consider it unless it's endgame quality?

Nick January 22, 2011 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarlost (Post 47334)
with permacurse? Doesn't that mean that you can't even consider it unless it's endgame quality?

Permacurse in FA means the curses on these objects can't be removed - but they're not sticky cursed. FA has 20-odd curses, and sticky wield is just one of them; and I'm very careful not to let permacursed objects get the sticky curse.

dos350 January 22, 2011 07:59

hi, i like the remove aggrivate idea, no other thing good tho~ please nagatives arent fun ~ eee!

Derakon January 22, 2011 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos350 (Post 47342)
hi, i like the remove aggrivate idea, no other thing good tho~ please nagatives arent fun ~ eee!

If aggravation gets removed, it'll be replaced by something nearly as bad (e.g. -10 to stealth). And one of the big motivating factors for multiple pvals is to let us make mixed-blessing items, which means adding penalties.

The game's already too easy; we aren't here to make it easier.

Timo Pietilš January 22, 2011 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 47317)
* Give Thorin -4 to stealth or -2 INT/WIS.

* Nerf Dal-I-Thalion's speed bonus to +2 or +3 on the theory that it's a bit too good as stands.

* Nerf Sting's blows bonus to +1, and remove its speed bonus.

Thorin: why? Thorin is pretty essential item because of +4 CON, I rather would give other shields bonus to compete with it. Like what I wrote to other thread, Haradrim +2 PVAL instead of +1 and remove blows/shots.

I really mean essential, not overpowered. CON bonus is valuable and there are several class/race selections that just plain need that +4 CON (and usually also STR), so it isn't really overpowered, it just doesn't have competition.

Dal-I-Thalion gives only DEX bonus in addition to speed, just drop both. +4 would be enough, and it would still be useful with +3 because conf resist. However dropping speed too low would make BoS too tempting. Even +5 BoS would be better than Dal-i-Thalion with +3 speed (yes, speed is that powerful IMO).

You say that artifact boots compete with non-BoS egos. I disagree. They need to compete with BoS-egos, not non BoS. Otherwise you see them only as swap items.

Sting: that would make it next to useless. Any good big-dice westernesse +2 or weapon of extra blows +2 would then beat it. Sting is already weak, even with speed bonus, no need to make it any weaker.

Magnate January 22, 2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 47352)
Thorin: why? Thorin is pretty essential item because of +4 CON, I rather would give other shields bonus to compete with it. Like what I wrote to other thread, Haradrim +2 PVAL instead of +1 and remove blows/shots.

You and Eddie don't seem to understand that the Thorin being "essential" is a *problem*. It definitely needs weakening. I agree that the +4 CON is necessary for many characters, but should it really come with rchaos, rsound and iAcid on a very easy to find low level artifact? It's nonsense, and always has been.
Quote:

Dal-I-Thalion gives only DEX bonus in addition to speed, just drop both. +4 would be enough, and it would still be useful with +3 because conf resist. However dropping speed too low would make BoS too tempting. Even +5 BoS would be better than Dal-i-Thalion with +3 speed (yes, speed is that powerful IMO).

You say that artifact boots compete with non-BoS egos. I disagree. They need to compete with BoS-egos, not non BoS. Otherwise you see them only as swap items.
I agree with you here. Leave the speed bonus on Dal-i-thalion at +5 and drop the Dex to +3.
Quote:

Sting: that would make it next to useless. Any good big-dice westernesse +2 or weapon of extra blows +2 would then beat it. Sting is already weak, even with speed bonus, no need to make it any weaker.
Sting isn't weak. The way +dam works at the moment it's hugely powerful. But if there's any artifact that gets to retain +2 blows, it should be Sting.

Timo Pietilš January 22, 2011 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 47354)
You and Eddie don't seem to understand that the Thorin being "essential" is a *problem*. It definitely needs weakening. I agree that the +4 CON is necessary for many characters, but should it really come with rchaos, rsound and iAcid on a very easy to find low level artifact? It's nonsense, and always has been.

I agree that needing that much CON is problem, but Thorin being strong item is not the cause of that problem. Reason why everyone uses it is that it is the only useful item in that slot that gives CON (and STR) bonuses. Even if you take out IMM_ACID, RES_SOUND and RES_CHAOS, it would still be used. Even if you give it penalties it would be used. There is no other choice.

Problem is that it has no competition. Give it competition. Something like Dwarven shield with random high resist and like +2/+3 STR and CON with rConf would be no-brainer to anyone lacking rConf (or maybe even nexus or blindness) even with Thorin. Thorin would then be reduced as swap-item to give IMM_ACID when needed. Or not, if you already have all your gear ignore acid. Acid is the weakest of basic4, with just resist acid you get max 266 points of damage from monster that breathes it full strength, and monsters that do breathe acid at any significant amount are rare indeed (GWoMColors breathes for about 1470, only Ancalagon breathes acid full strenght). Double-resist and you hardly get any damage at all, which means your gear is also saved.

Constitution just is too valuable. Only thing that goes over it is speed, which is another reason we have this problem, because any source of speed usually doesn't have CON bonus (Gondor, Thror and Sting are exceptions), and major source is rings, which means one valuable slot less to get CON. Maybe change in entire HP concept to reduce value of CON and increase value of clvl is in order.

If you find Thorin too powerful as low level item then make it deeper. There is no need to make it weaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 47354)
Sting isn't weak. The way +dam works at the moment it's hugely powerful. But if there's any artifact that gets to retain +2 blows, it should be Sting.

That depends where you compare it to. Sting is low-damage weapon, what makes it powerful is the +2 it also gives for combat stats which might actually make it +3 blows weapon if stats are right, and speed it has. For a weapon you can have pretty much any high-dice extra blows weapon and get it beaten. Especially with off-weapon brands. For out of curiosity I gave a debug char pretty normal set of gear for mid/late-game including RoDam +11, Elessar and Cambeleg and just long sword of extra attacks (2d5) (+10,+15) (+2) was enough to clearly beat Sting. Only that speed bonus gives it advantage if it is nearby some breakpoint (+8/9 or +18/19). Something like Haradekket beats it easily, and medium-rarity weapons like Til-i-Arc or Totila are about in par with the damage (with warrior).

Maybe Sting isn't weak, but it definitely is weak enough that it doesn't need any further weakening.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.