Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Angband for Android 10 (volunteers needed) (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9856)

Diego Gonzalez February 20, 2020 13:29

Angband for Android

I've uploaded another version to the play store, this time updated to android 10

I don't have such a device. Can someone try it and tell if it works?

Thank you all!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...band&hl=es_419

Yamaneko February 23, 2020 18:27

I tried this on my Nokia 6.1 with Android 10 (we discussed this through email) and after the port was updated to version 1.6, everything seems to run just fine.

Thank you so much for your efforts!

Diego Gonzalez February 23, 2020 18:30

Thanks to you for trying !

saeniel February 26, 2020 20:57

Thank you so much!
It looks..great!

Just one question. How do I have turn on the keyboard in landscape orientation?

Diego Gonzalez February 26, 2020 21:34

Thanks! Long-press over the game show options.

Usually I pick "Fit height" and "Toggle Keyboard"

Diego Gonzalez February 27, 2020 02:18

Also, you can set the orientation of the screen there.

saeniel February 27, 2020 09:49

Oops. Thank you :)

By the way, are you planning some updates to improve usability for Android gaming ?

Diego Gonzalez February 27, 2020 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by saeniel (Post 143267)
By the way, are you planning some updates to improve usability for Android gaming ?

As you know, Angband is keyboard-intensive, and it has a lot of commands. The menus can also have many options (letters and numbers).

The angband screen has many elements (stats at the right, flags at the bottom), so dealing with all that (on small devices) isn't an easy job. Plus, we are all accostumed to access the many commands of the game in a very fast way.

I think that the transparent keyboard is a nice addition, but it's a bit annoying in the middle zone of the screen. Still, the game remains playable. I have a ranger near dlvl 100 right now.

I have plans to take that middle portion of the keyboard and put it in the upper-right corner as a possible improvement.

I'm open to brainstorm about new inputs methods :)

Pete Mack February 27, 2020 17:52

Nick did something similar for FA on NDS (IIRC) back in the day. There were only a handful of buttons left--one for "use", one for fire, ones for directional movement/running, and it had mouse movement. It also allowed new buttons bound to keymaps. And it was heavily used by the FA guru Psi.

Diego Gonzalez February 27, 2020 18:25

Thanks! Have to take a look!

Yamaneko February 27, 2020 20:56

I'm super happy with the Android port. Usually I play in portrait mode with the fit width option. But zoom-in and zoom-out mapped to the hardware volume-up and volume-down buttons respectively is really helpful.

On Android I play much slower compared to the desktop version. This is not necessarily a bad thing; playing on Android has a certain flow to it. For me, the interface is well done overall.

I use tap on screen for movement. This works well most of the time, but I also ran into some walls because I tapped slightly off, like I wanted to walk west but somehow my big thumb landed on southwest. Maybe an optional and very transparent 3x3 grid overlay would help me.

In addition, I was wondering whether it might be helpful to extend the keyboard by including F-keys. Let's say five of them.

Some frequent commands on Android require multiple taps and are more cumbersome compared to a full-blown hardware keyboard, such as "list of monsters" or "cast netherbolt." If I had five F-keys, which I would be able to easily remap, I would put list of monsters on F1, list of known objects on F2, netherbolt on F5, or something like this. This is not about remapping key commands. Instead, it's about having additional keys to make some commands more easily accessible and more convenient while keeping the original keyset intact. Ideally, I would be able to assign F-keys to keystrokes such as m-a-a (or whatever I happen to choose).

But as said, I’m very happy with this port, so these suggestions are more for convenience.

Finally, I recommend to have a look at the Android port of DCSS (ASCII version). There too the interface is done quite well IMO.

Again, thanks for your efforts so far. :)

Diego Gonzalez February 27, 2020 22:45

The game has 3 keyboards, the normal one, the "Sym" and the "Ctrl^".

If you tap in the "Sym" key you get access to the F-keys and other stuff.

Long press over "..." and "Ctrl^" trigger different levels of keyboard visibility.
Long press over p,f,o,u trigger (Ctrl-P, Ctrl-F, Ctrl-O and U, the last one is the "use" command).

I like your idea about the tap "zones" very much. Will do that.

I installed DCSS briefly on my phone some months ago. I'll take a better look now.

Thanks!

Yamaneko February 28, 2020 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez (Post 143275)
The game has 3 keyboards, the normal one, the "Sym" and the "Ctrl^".

Yes, I know about the three keyboards. As said, I find the interface well done actually.

But why not allow for some more customization by adding five (or whatever number) of additional buttons to the interface that can be mapped and re-mapped by the user? I called these buttons "F-keys" in my last post. They can be optional of course, but would allow to increase the flow of gameplay without tempering with the original keyset.

I didn't know about long-press p to trigger Ctrl-P (and the others). This is nice.

fph February 28, 2020 08:33

On a touch interface, it would be very cool to use gestures (for instance, swipe up for "use", swipe down for "monster list"), but I have no idea how hard it is to implement it.

tg122 February 29, 2020 13:04

In terms of UI and Key mapping, i find that Nethack for Android works really well. You can create customizable, scrollable key mapping ribbons on the bottom of the screen and down the sides. This doesn't intrude upon the playable window too much, and you can easily access the keys you frequently use by mapping them the way you like. The reason why it works so well is because you can create multiple key ribbons and its highly customizable.

I found that I was able to map it so that I could have the frequently used keys all at my fingertips, and the less frequently used keys would require me only to have to scroll slightly to access. It may be worth trying Nethack out if you want to see how this works.

Diego Gonzalez February 29, 2020 13:25

Yes, the current keyboard implementation is kind of "fixed", little open to customization. It's actually a modification of the classic "bottom" Android keyboard.

Angband is very interesting, most the time you use only a few keys, and suddenly you need many.

The ribbon approach is the right way. Thanks!

Pete Mack February 29, 2020 17:04

I am trying to play in tablet mode on my netbook. Unfortunately the on-screen keyboard doesn't have escape or backquote on any screen (let alone on main screen.)

Diego Gonzalez February 29, 2020 17:41

The escape key is bound to the back button of the device. Your netbook has one?

I'll add the backquote key soon.

Pete Mack February 29, 2020 18:35

Got it. That is a little tricky, since the toolbar gets hidden on keyboard input. Another question: how to choose a smaller font? I am seeing something like 18 or 20 point type with the default.

tg122 March 1, 2020 13:34

I've had some time to play this more over the last day. Wow, this is an excellent port. I think the keyboard and interface works really well, and I can enjoy playing the game without struggling against the interface. I like specifically how you can use the "..." key to hide most of the buttons quickly, so you always have the keyboard at your fingertips, but can quickly hide it to see what's going on on the screen. The only minor difficulty I have is when I have to keep switching between the different keyboards. For this reason, I think that combining this current keyboard approach with a vertical, scrollable ribbon of programmable keys/macros on the right hand side of the screen would be perfect for me. That way I would have all the major keys I need from the main keyboard, and can program whatever other keys/macros on the right hand side to minimize having to switch keyboards.

Thanks again for creating this port. I love Angband but it's difficult to find time to get in front of a PC these days and this allows me to be able to play still. I'm sure there are probably a lot of other people in the same boat as me. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Maybe the right hand side of the screen wouldn't be the best place for the ribbon, because that would put it right next to the directional keys and cause a lot of accidental presses. Also, is there a vertical bar | key anywhere? I'm having trouble figuring out how to drop arrows in your quiver.

Diego Gonzalez March 1, 2020 16:27

Thanks for your reply and encouragement! You all have very good suggestions for this port.

This is my current todo list:

1. Add missing keys (vertical bar, backquote, escape in main keyboard)

2. Add visual markers for direction zones in the game view (9 almost transparent squares at different locations)

3. Add horizontal ribbon of buttons with customizable keys (a la NH). I agree that swapping between the different keyboards is a bit tedious.

4. Improve portrait mode. Keyboard has to many keys per row and it looks ugly in portrait. I'm thinking about adding 1 or 2 more rows.

5. Related to point 4... Add an option in the core game to replace the left sidebar (stats, equippy, health, etc.) with a "bottom-bar". That way we could have a widest dungeon.

6. Fix font size and term size (Thanks Pete for the reminder!)

A couple of these are easy. In the next few days will be a new release, that will include the last changes to rangers and blackguards.

Pete Mack March 1, 2020 16:38

The 'fit horizontal ' model works well enough on a phone, but it is wasteful on a tablet, leading to a huge font. Though I suspect it might be OK in portrait mode when the problem with empty space between map and keyboard is fixed.

Diego Gonzalez March 1, 2020 22:23

New version in the playstore. Implemented points 1 and 2 of the todo list.

Yamaneko March 2, 2020 11:12

Thanks for the update! Works well so far. The visual markers are really helpful. Looking forward to the other improvements as well :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez (Post 143309)
4. Improve portrait mode. Keyboard has to many keys per row and it looks ugly in portrait. I'm thinking about adding 1 or 2 more rows.

Indeed, the main keyboard is a bit cramped. My suggestion would be to remove the numpad and add the numbers as an additional row (like a regular hardware keyboard). Movement can be done with tap on screen, so the numpad might be redundant anyway.

moosferatu March 2, 2020 15:34

Personally, I don't like touch directions and play with them disabled. Is it possible to not display the new touch hit boxes when touch directions are disabled?

Diego Gonzalez March 2, 2020 16:06

Yes, of course! In the next update will be optional. Do you use portrait or landscape ?

moosferatu March 2, 2020 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez (Post 143330)
Yes, of course! In the next update will be optional. Do you use portrait or landscape ?

Thanks!

I play landscape on a phone with the opacity sliders all the way to the right. I move with the numpad and use the "..." to toggle the rest of the keyboard as needed. I prefer the numpad to touch directions because I like not having to stretch/move my fingers/thumbs so far to move. On that note, I frequently toggle run, and wish that it was slightly closer to my left thumb... But, that's a minor point, and it sounds like it'd probably be solvable with the customizable ribbon, assuming that proves possible to implement.

Thanks again for putting this together!

tg122 March 2, 2020 17:31

I play on a phone with a 6.3in screen and also play in landscape mode using the number pad (which works great for me, with the occasional mistake if i get sloppy). I find with a larger phone, its difficult for me to use the touch directionals because my thumbs can't easily reach the middle of my phone if i'm holding the phone on both sides in landscape mode. One thing that could be useful is if you could customize the size and location of the touch directionals to all be located on the top right quadrant of the phone, then you could easily reach all 6 with your right thumb. I'm only saying this because there may be people with wider thumbs that might make it difficult to use the number pad, but still can't reach the middle of the phone with their thumbs (as phones become bigger).

Either way, great job with this. I'm still amazed at how easy Angband can be to play on a phone thanks to this well thought-out design. I would have never guessed it could be done.

Diego Gonzalez March 2, 2020 18:09

You are reading my mind! I also think that the touch directions are too far away one of another! I'll work on your suggestion.

The next little project I should do after that is to adjust the size of the term to make use of all the screen. That will be more noticeable in portrait mode.

The port works only in 80x24. I've to modify this.

Thank you all for the reviews!

Pete Mack March 4, 2020 22:25

much better with escape key (on devices with soft back button.) Bizarre behavior of number keysroguelike mode. (They are replaced with hjkl literals, as if they become macros rather than keymaps.) Additionallly, can't select items from a menu by letter, only by navigation. (I'd use the normal keyset, but I don't know any of the commands.)

Also: tablet mode, allow mini keyboard (and removal of number keys from default keyboard.)

Diego Gonzalez March 5, 2020 01:46

Thanks for the bug report! I've fixed it and the app is being uploaded to the play store.

I also added some experimental code to fill the screen with the dungeon. It's more noticeable in portrait mode, when you choose "adjust font size to width", or "height".

I have to fix the portrait keyboard yet.

tg122 March 5, 2020 19:43

Thanks! I really like the new directional buttons. Would it be possible to be able to map the center directional to the "5" key so you can use that to wait a turn?

Diego Gonzalez March 5, 2020 20:06

Yes, search the preferences. Bind the center button to "Comma". Version 1.9 is uploading, with a modified keyboard. Sorry for the constant updates...

Pete Mack March 6, 2020 01:49

@Diego--
this is to be expected when the very first users (other than the dev) start using a product. Hardly a surprise.

Turns out I can't use my external keyboard, really. Neither ESC nor ` has any effect (not even when trying to make a keymap.) Using a logitech K360 (standard android) keyboard.

tg122 March 6, 2020 20:16

Regarding the new keyboard layout, one thing I like is how the number keys are bigger and the period key is easier to reach for running. However, one issue I'm having is that I keep getting confused by the i, o, and p keys being the same shade as the number keys. Would it be a good idea to put an option to darken the i, o, and p keys to be the same shade as the center keys? I find that the number keys are much easier to use when they are a separate shade from the other keys.

Diego Gonzalez March 7, 2020 01:50

@Pete
The game only recognizes esc or backquote if you use the soft keyboard. I will upload a new version that handles a hardware esc key soon.

I rely on you to test it.

tg122 March 7, 2020 18:50

Here is a quick suggestion. There is 1 additional button that I wish I had easier access to without having to switch keyboards, and that is the " - " key. This would allow you to utilize items on the ground without having to switch keyboards, and would come in handy when your inventory gets full. There are a few other buttons that I regularly switch keyboards for (">", "<", and "/". But the " - " is by far the one that I use the most.

Diego Gonzalez March 8, 2020 00:18

I had to take away a key, and picked that one hehe.

You can trigger floor selection with the left direction. Cursors cycle between inventory, quiver, floor, etc.

Thats a nice addition made by the Vanilla team.

tg122 March 8, 2020 01:20

That's perfect, I never knew that before. Thanks for the tip!

moosferatu March 10, 2020 13:39

The "run" button doesn't work in roguelike mode. <shift>+<letter> works, but is kind of annoying because the entire keyboard needs to be visible and the relative positioning of the keys is different than a standard keyboard, which is a little disorienting.

[Edit] I take that back! The "run" button does work when combined with a directional letter, but it doesn't work when combined with the numpad. It would be nice to be able to play with the roguelike key bindings (that I'm more familiar with) but still be able to just have the directional controls displayed on the side like the numpad.

Diego Gonzalez March 10, 2020 13:52

Yes, previously the run command worked replacing numbers with letters, but menu selection was broken that way.

Shift+Letter or RUN+Letter works.

I'm going back to the classic qwerty keyboard (with one row more). I think today I will be uploading a new version. There will be an option to select qwerty+numpad.

moosferatu March 10, 2020 19:35

2 Attachment(s)
I noticed that occasionally the top line of text does not display in its entirety. Attached are two screenshots with examples.

Flambard March 10, 2020 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez (Post 143271)
I'm open to brainstorm about new inputs methods :)

Please take a look at http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9889

That's what I'm using/going to use for Android MAngband.

Diego Gonzalez March 11, 2020 02:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flambard (Post 143515)
That's what I'm using/going to use for Android MAngband.

This looks great, thanks! I will include this in this port!

Diego Gonzalez March 11, 2020 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosferatu (Post 143513)
I noticed that occasionally the top line of text does not display in its entirety. Attached are two screenshots with examples.

Thats very strange, I will pay more attention to this.

Diego Gonzalez March 11, 2020 19:34

Version 1.10 is up.

Pete, can you try it with your keyboard? Test the F1-F12 keys too.

DrWho42 March 11, 2020 20:01

i might be down! i have an android phone

Pete Mack March 11, 2020 22:06

@Diego -- ESC or ` key still doesn't work on hard keyboard. Menus work in roguelike mode otherwise.

Diego Gonzalez March 13, 2020 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 143548)
@Diego -- ESC or ` key still doesn't work on hard keyboard. Menus work in roguelike mode otherwise.

Damn ! I'm baffled about this one. The lack of external keyboard makes it hard to debug.

Diego Gonzalez March 13, 2020 15:02

I have a question for vanilla developers...

I want to send a list of keys from the core game to the UI. Like which ones you need to perform the current command. The key list can be packed into a string.

The best way to do this is to add a new Term function, so the UI cant react and display the proper buttons?

Thanks in advance!

Pete Mack March 13, 2020 15:52

Since the soft keyboard is outside the game proper, yes.

Nick March 13, 2020 22:27

Yes, that sounds correct.

Flambard March 14, 2020 12:40

Just to add 2 cents, that's precisely what I did when presented with a similar task.

If this ever goes folded back into V, I would like to discuss it a bit and adopt the "official" Z-Term improvements.

Diego Gonzalez March 14, 2020 14:01

I'm making a naive approach:

extern errr Term_control_msg(const char *what, const wchar_t *msg);

This morning I was thinking that the message can be a simple string in some cases, and in other cases it could be a packed representation of structured data, like JSON.

For now I have it working with a simple string of keys:

https://github.com/Cuboideb/angbandr...d788131031188c

Some bits of this code will change soon.

tg122 March 20, 2020 04:54

Got my first win on Android. Thanks again for this fantastic port! I thought the game played very nicely on an Android phone (who would have guessed?) Thanks also to Nick and the team for keeping at it. This was my first game in a few years and I really like where you're going with the game.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23388

Diego Gonzalez March 20, 2020 22:16

Congratulations! The first win on Android I think.

I'm just working on a button ribbon right now! Hope it will make things a bit easier.

moosferatu March 26, 2020 15:17

Diego, have you considered putting your port up on F-Droid?

https://f-droid.org/en/

Diego Gonzalez March 26, 2020 15:41

Will do!! Thanks for the tip

Soon I'll be finishing a large batch of changes (see the ribbon branch in the repo). I added the button ribbon, the ui-cmd font made by Flambard, mouse (actually finger) support for menus and directions.

I think you will like it.

https://i.ibb.co/h93P97G/screen1.png

moosferatu March 26, 2020 15:50

Thanks!

Looking good!

Pete Mack March 26, 2020 17:13

Very slick, though two of the icons are ambiguous ( hand with fire around vs between fingers.)

Diego Gonzalez March 26, 2020 17:43

The first one is a lame attempt of giving an icon to the 'reapeat' command hehe

Pete Mack March 26, 2020 19:20

Yeah, i sure did not guess that. Is there one for rods/staffs wands? (I dunno how to distinguish them in a picture, except maybe put a star or light at the end of the wand.)

Diego Gonzalez March 31, 2020 02:53

New version in Playstore!

Version 11 has the button ribbon and many ui improvements.

From the documentation:

The game has two input methods: the soft keyboard and the button ribbon.

The soft keyboard
It has three modes (alphanumeric, symbols and control-keys) and several opacity settings to make playing a bit easier on small devices.

The button ribbon
Accessed when the soft keyboard is hidden, the button ribbon has two modes (command and full).

In command mode, the ribbon contains icons for the most used commands in the game. Some commands perhaps are missing in this mode (zap a rod, aim a wand, etc.), but most of them can be triggered using the Inventory, Alter and Use commands.

It's important to remember that directions can be used to cycle between equipment, inventory, floor and quiver.

To reduce the number of buttons in command mode, the Alter command can also open chests and close doors.

If you feel that some action should be in the ribbon anyway, every keymap defined inside the core Angband is displayed in the button ribbon. This is also handy for spells and repetitive keystrokes.

Besides the touch directionals, every touch in the term view is sent to the core as a mouse press, allowing movement and menu selection.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hial.xyangband

tg122 April 1, 2020 17:33

I haven't had a chance to play much since the button ribbon was released, but I did spend a few minutes figuring out how it works. I think it's great so far. I like how the regular buttons are on one row and the keymaps are on the other row. I also think that the directional keys are more comfortable to use now because they were resized and now they aren't so close to the top. This is easily one of the best pc to mobile ports I've ever seen, so thank you for all your hard work!

If I had just one more suggestion, it would be to add a quick option to move the directionals to the left side of the screen for when your character is all the way at the right edge of the map. It can be difficult to navigate sometimes when your character is located exactly where the directionals are. Having a quick option to swap the directionals to the left would solve this.

moosferatu April 1, 2020 17:42

I've only had a chance to try the new version very briefly. One thing that feels like a step backwards is that the "..." button now opens a menu, which means it takes more taps if you just want to toggle keyboard visibility. That said, I understand why you did it, and I don't have a better suggestion off the top of my head.

Diego Gonzalez April 1, 2020 18:46

Both suggestions are great. Will work on them. Also this give me the chance to incorporate the most recent updates from V

Thanks!

Diego Gonzalez April 5, 2020 15:50

New version!

This one eliminates the menu launched from the "..." key and incorporates a command for placing the touch directionals to the left. This command (and others) are triggered from the already existing contextual menu.

Also, a long press over a button in the ribbon tells you which command is executed.

The recent changes from Vanilla are incorporated too.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Cuboideb May 15, 2020 00:31

Version 18 is up! This one includes:

-Support graphics modes.

-Customizable user keymaps.

-Pseudo-ascii mode. Ascii for monsters and player. Tiles for everything else.

-Move the touch directionals with a long-press.

Enjoy and thank you all for your suggestions!

Playstore

Github repository

joeljpa May 15, 2020 13:29

Looks like I'm late to the party! I've been playing the **** out of this and have so far got one dwarf warrior dead at character lvl 30 and more recently, a Dunadan ranger at lvl 36 (my best so far).

Yesterday I started a gnome mage to see how feasible it is with all the spells, without keymaps and just the ribbon keys. Ranger was manageable given the limited noncombat spells. I am lvl 16 now but will admit there was lot of screen mashing involved, think I would get RSI heheh... joking.

Was going to provide my feedback here but your update with keymaps couldn't have come at a better time. I'm right now setting it up and giving playing with this a test drive.

Thanks a lot Diego for this! PS: It seems you've shapeshifted from Diego to Cuboideb over here. :P

EugeneLesnov May 15, 2020 13:41

Yo're doing an amazing job, great work!

Cuboideb May 15, 2020 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeljpa (Post 145492)
Thanks a lot Diego for this! PS: It seems you've shapeshifted from Diego to Cuboideb over here. :P

Haha, yes! I wanted to unify my user with the one I have in the playstore. I have a link to oook in the app.

The keymaps are one of the things that make you think: why I didn't that sooner?

Thanks for the feedback!

joeljpa June 5, 2020 17:29

I've so far found one minor bug (updated to your latest version as of typing this). I use the default short style ribbon (I assume most would prefer this). I find pressing 'C' for the character screen and exiting fails to revert back to the default ribbon style, instead, it keeps the second style having all the possible keys. I'm forced to manually select "change ribbon style" in the quick settings each time I exit the Character screen.

For example, now that I'm currently a high-level character, I frequently visit that screen to check not just my burden levels, but my detailed list of resistances and object bonuses that I have or lack.

I'm happy to be of whatever help! :) I can give other general feedback later as I play more.

PS: I've been still playing at it given my career workload has decreased and now have a warrior max Lvl 50 (never knew this was a thing) and reached the deepest level I've ever gone, 73! I've never gotten past character lvl ~30 or dungeon lvl ~40 before FYI.
Heck I may end up having my first victory I daresay? All I needed was someone to port it to the phone XD? A similar thing happened to me for DCSS.

Pete Mack June 11, 2020 02:01

'Mouse' move works strangely when you click on unreachable or unknown territory. I expect it to mean 'run in this direction' but sometimes it sends you in a random direction.

Pete Mack June 11, 2020 22:13

* List selection is inconvenient in portrait mode. Even to cast spells, often you need to scroll right--though there is plenty of real estate to show a dozen or two choices on screen.
* Can't figure out how to pick up floor objects in ribbon mode.

joeljpa June 11, 2020 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 146225)
* Can't figure out how to pick up floor objects in ribbon mode.

Doesn't the default ribbon button layout have the 'g' key near the beginning? That's what I use (I force landscape mode and play, if that makes a difference here).

Pete Mack June 11, 2020 23:47

Oh I found it. Failed to guess the symbol. Also couldn't find it in the peculiarly ordered command list menu.

Cuboideb June 13, 2020 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeljpa (Post 146069)
I'm happy to be of whatever help! :) I can give other general feedback later as I play more.

Heck I may end up having my first victory I daresay? All I needed was someone to port it to the phone XD? A similar thing happened to me for DCSS.

Thank you for your feedback! I've fixed the bug you found and in short time it will be in the playstore.

I'm very glad you like the port. I need to pulish it a bit more hehe. Thank you again!

Cuboideb June 13, 2020 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 146229)
Oh I found it. Failed to guess the symbol. Also couldn't find it in the peculiarly ordered command list menu.

We are too accostumed to a plain keyboard. I'm using the other ribbon mode these days (the one with every possible key).

You can see the action of the symbol by doing a long-press. There is also an option to turn off the icons.

You can also define your own keymaps. See the context menu "Manage Keymaps". You can create and move around the buttons in the two ribbons. This speeds up the game a lot.

In the top ribbon, the fourth button from the left displays the list buttons in a condensed table. As always, in portrait mode this needs more work.

Other mobile games resolve this in a better way, but Angband has so many commands and playing styles. Portrait phone is the worst scenario I think. I should focus in Portrait tablet in the next release.

joeljpa June 13, 2020 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 146255)
Thank you for your feedback! I've fixed the bug you found and in short time it will be in the playstore.

I'm very glad you like the port. I need to pulish it a bit more hehe. Thank you again!

:D! Wow, that's great to hear.

It comes to no surprise that my warrior died though, but my own hubris. That'll teach me not to dance with multiple ancient dragons at ~500 hp even with all the resistances. Oh well, next time. :)

joeljpa June 13, 2020 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 146257)
We are too accostumed to a plain keyboard. I'm using the other ribbon mode these days (the one with every possible key).

You can see the action of the symbol by doing a long-press. There is also an option to turn off the icons.

It was those icons that must have been confusing. This was something I was going to say and forgot about it. I disabled that option the moment I installed it. I then found it way easier to get my bearings and start playing then. Otheriwse, think the default shortstyle is great and that's what I'll recommend ppl to use. It has almost all the basic keys I've needed.

I've been playing with that shortstyle ribbon + landscape mode + right hand directional keys + keymaps. Touch simulating cursor for quick travel has been blessing though not easily available everytime. I use the transparent fullkeyboard as a fallback when I occasionally need to press a key not in the ribbon, swapping to that is easy thanks to the quick settings.

You use the long-form style ribbon the whole time? :O I find it so difficult and scrolling through it, it's endless.

Cuboideb June 13, 2020 02:02

With keymaps!

I've put these on the upper ribbon (blackguard): w + ^P R mb L U n ma [

Lower ribbon: i l e d g h

I manage playing the game with that. For longer list options I use the "up" arrow of the touch directionals (to the right like you) to cycle the list and get to the last items (I'm too lazy to display the condensed table).

joeljpa June 14, 2020 15:13

It's quite interesting, just take three of us random ppl and we all play it so differently...given the multiple options.

A few other things I've noticed
  • You've added tooltips for the keys which have icons, but not the for the main keys. I know they might seem obvious but yea. For example, until reading one recent comment here, I didn't know that the preceding key in front of both the ribbons expands all the said ribbons keys till now! Whoa, useful! and I've played for more than a month. But yes, the first time I installed the app I did have to guess what they did and by trial and error. So tooltips would be good for a first-timer lest they get lost.
  • While on the above note, I'm assuming the corner most key in front of enter is ESC? If so, I barely use it, given the phone's back button suffices.
  • One important key I've noticed is missing...space. Important for scrolling down long msg screens. I noticed especially while inspecting artifacts with long descriptions. I've remapped the arrow keys centre key to space for that. The option of remapping the centre key pretty darn useful right now.

Cuboideb June 14, 2020 18:19

These two images perhaps can clarify the meaning of the special keys of the ribbon.

Ribbon Buttons

You can use the keymap editor to add the missing space bar (space is \s). Another option is to inspect the item, then press 'I' and move down. Found by chance.

Keymap Editor

I will include these on the online help of the game.

Cuboideb June 14, 2020 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeljpa (Post 146294)
While on the above note, I'm assuming the corner most key in front of enter is ESC? If so, I barely use it, given the phone's back button suffices.

Some devices don't have a back button. The full soft keyboard has it too.

Cuboideb June 15, 2020 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeljpa (Post 146069)
I've so far found one minor bug (updated to your latest version as of typing this). I use the default short style ribbon (I assume most would prefer this). I find pressing 'C' for the character screen and exiting fails to revert back to the default ribbon style, instead, it keeps the second style having all the possible keys. I'm forced to manually select "change ribbon style" in the quick settings each time I exit the Character screen.

Uploaded fix and minor changes

joeljpa June 15, 2020 22:07

Cool! I've played for some time with the latest update.

Must say the Help file is good, I've learned more new things..again.
I didn't know we could drag and drop the directionals! neat. Quick-traveling via cursor on the right-hand side won't be a problem anymore. Some shortcuts in the full keyboard too will be useful for me.

Otherwise I think the help file is great for newcomers with those sections for each feature and the annotated images explaining the ribbon. Oh and found typo at "A long-press allowes" in the touch directional section.

I'm not sure what is the Dpad Trackball feature, this was referred to in the old Angroid project too if I recall. How do I use it if it's implemented? I tried following the instructions but don't even know what is a Dpad in this case. Pardon me if this is a stupid question lol. It talks about digging made easier for example?

Another thing I've yet to try is the profiles. I bet they'd be useful when I have made custom keymaps for each background, instead of editting them each time I start off with a new character, swap from Mage to Paladin etc?

tg122 June 19, 2020 23:24

Do you have any plans to ever port any Variants to Android as well? This is the best Mobile port of an ASCI roguelike I've ever seen and should be used as an example. I would love to see FAangband ported to Android someday (or FAangband 2 once Nick finishes it).

Pete Mack June 22, 2020 04:46

2 Attachment(s)
Regression:
Doesn't work well in ascii mode. There are spaces between the wall '#' symbols, and the horizontal map distance is minimal.

Edit: compare and contrast splash screen vs gameplay:

Pete Mack June 22, 2020 20:16

Followup:
Allow smaller font.
Make "run" icon a toggle when hit twice (like caps vs lock), rather than a single command.

Cuboideb June 27, 2020 01:02

Thanks for the feedback!

I've fixed the width of the font in development. If you want a smaller font now you can turn off the 'duplicate tile size' option.

https://i.ibb.co/H4CWWC8/portrait.jpg

I'll try to fix some of the other problems you saw.

Cuboideb June 27, 2020 01:05

It seems that the ribbon is not very useful in portrait mode. The full keyboard seems more appropiate, but I need to add the user defined keymaps of the ribbon here too... It could be a mix of the two methods.

Pete Mack June 27, 2020 07:00

Ribbon in portrait is ok if you rearrange the icons. (E.g. spellcasting icon can be offscreen for warrior.) But I agree it could be better--say with another rank of commands, and with more room for the selection list for commands that pick from inventory, spell or book lists, etc.

tg122 June 28, 2020 20:33

I love the way Shockbolt's tiles look but I find it difficult to use them in landscape mode on a phone because you have to zoom in to 2x to properly see them, and that means I can only see 5 spaces up and down (I always keep the map centered). I would like to suggest 2 ideas which may be able to help with this.
1) Adjust the tile multiplier so they aren't stretched so tall and skinny. It looks like zoomed mode on Android is equivalent to a 3x3 tile multiplier on a computer. I think the 4x2 looks much better and lets you see 2 extra spaces up and down.
2) Is it possible to add a quick hotkey to zoom in and out? This would allow you to quickly zoom out if you need to and then zoom back in so you can easily switch back and forth between the 2.

One final thing, zooming in and out sometimes crashes the game for me on Android.

Cuboideb July 6, 2020 01:47

New version in the playstore

Changes:

-Incorporated latest Vanilla commits.
-Fixed a bug related to tile display.
-Added size multiplier for ribbon buttons.
-Added option to auto display long lists of choices in a condensed fashion. At first it seems strange but I think it speeds up the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tg122 (Post 146616)
Adjust the tile multiplier so they aren't stretched so tall and skinny. It looks like zoomed mode on Android is equivalent to a 3x3 tile multiplier on a computer. I think the 4x2 looks much better and lets you see 2 extra spaces up and down.

I'll include that in the next release. BTW, zooming or changing screen orientation sometimes cause a crash. I don't know exactly why. It's something related to the interaction between Java and C, I think.

Next in my todo list is adding support for sub-windows, at least for the monster list.

As always, thanks for the reviews!

joeljpa July 7, 2020 08:28

Nice, downloaded the update yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 146838)
Changes:

Next in my todo list is adding support for sub-windows, at least for the monster list.

Wow. :D:D

Cuboideb July 13, 2020 00:56

New version in the playstore

Version 1.23 - 2020/07/12:

- Reworked the ordering of some preferences.
- More tile multipliers (they have their own preference option now).
- Sub-windows (up to 3, map views are not supported).
- Added toggle for sub-windows in the quick settings menu.
- Option to keep touch directionals fixed in place.
- Position of touch directionals are saved between games.

joeljpa July 25, 2020 09:49

I've just tried it after a month hiatus and found myself unable to zoom out like I used to before. Updated to the latest version and one setting of mine it changed was this. I'm fully zoomed in and that's not how I used to playing.

Using touch to zoom out didn't work, but the classic volume down key did..at the cost of zooming out even the UI fonts including the subwindow. Even the fit to width/height is based on this 'new' default size which I recall wasn't before. I don't use any tileset. What changed?

I wanted to try out your mouse and subwindow features.

Cuboideb July 25, 2020 17:50

It's strange. The only way I remember for zooming out is using the volume keys, decreasing the font size.

Perhaps you missed the new tile size multiplier preference. The default value is 4x2 (best value for graphics mode). Please try 1x1 or 2x2. Those are suited for text mode.

Also the subwindow font has its own multiplier, in the sub-window preferences.

joeljpa July 26, 2020 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 147399)
Please try 1x1 or 2x2. Those are suited for text mode.

Also the subwindow font has its own multiplier, in the sub-window preferences.

Ah it was this that got changed with the update, I set it and I'm back to how it was, thanks!

joeljpa July 26, 2020 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 147399)
It's strange. The only way I remember for zooming out is using the volume keys, decreasing the font size.

Oh and come to think of it now that you said this, I probably got confused this app with the dcss port. They have similar basic features, but only dcss has that zoom via pinch touch.