Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current master post 4.2.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9659)

Pete Mack January 27, 2020 19:54

Any reason why electric arc doesn't work like an ordinary beam spell? Destroying rods and wands on the floor can be pretty crippling when taking down a bunch of trolls. Currently there is no true beam spell in the town books.

eastwind January 27, 2020 21:15

Late to the party on glow suggestions...

What about 'a glow surrounds you'? Or is that effect already in use for something else like blessings?? (that might be why I thought of it, because I'd seen it, lol).

Always wondered how you could tell your hands were gloing inside your elbow-length metal gaunlets....

Ingwe Ingweron January 30, 2020 18:07

In the latest nightly: c38a249c4

Missing the (Y or N) choice prompt when creating a character in rebirth screen. Yeah, I know to press Y or N, but didn't it used to say that?

Missing the level feeling indicator on the status line. The level feeling indicator for Monster/Treasure by the numbers, e.g., 8-5, is gone. EDIT: Nevermind on this one. The problem was the new build changes the window sizing and the status line is "below the fold".

wobbly February 1, 2020 08:32

Took a look at new stair placement. I'm not convinced this does what you think it does. At least 3 adjacent walls discounting diagonals. That's corridor ends, 1 square rooms & pillar rooms.

I have an alternative proposal. If you want stairs next to a wall, ram them into a wall.

Find square
Look for adjacent wall (not a diagonal)
Check there isn't space on other side of wall
Check not within x distance of stairs
Place on wall

Huqhox February 3, 2020 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 142833)
Took a look at new stair placement. I'm not convinced this does what you think it does. At least 3 adjacent walls discounting diagonals. That's corridor ends, 1 square rooms & pillar rooms.

I have an alternative proposal. If you want stairs next to a wall, ram them into a wall.

Find square
Look for adjacent wall (not a diagonal)
Check there isn't space on other side of wall
Check not within x distance of stairs
Place on wall

That sounds like it would work well. I'd be happy if this was implemented. Down stairs at least should be easy to find to encourage diving; currently they can be a chore to find

luneya February 6, 2020 04:35

I still think the answer is to remove all restrictions on stair generation--let the stairs go to every tile within the connected dungeon area with equal probability.

The restrictions on stair generation were originally added as a hacky way to ensure that characters would enter a dungeon in a safe position. This was always a poor solution. The correct solution is to have player placement be entirely independent from stair generation.

Level generation would proceed as follows:
1. Generate the dungeon map.
2. Place stairs on the dungeon map at completely random positions.
3. Place the player at a "safe" entry location.
4. If connected stairs is enabled and the player entered the level via stairs, generate an additional stair of the appropriate type at the player position.

I'd build a solution myself and send a commit, except that I don't have enough C coding experience to pull it off without f***ing up.

Huqhox February 6, 2020 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by luneya (Post 142929)
I still think the answer is to remove all restrictions on stair generation--let the stairs go to every tile within the connected dungeon area with equal probability.

The restrictions on stair generation were originally added as a hacky way to ensure that characters would enter a dungeon in a safe position. This was always a poor solution. The correct solution is to have player placement be entirely independent from stair generation.

Level generation would proceed as follows:
1. Generate the dungeon map.
2. Place stairs on the dungeon map at completely random positions.
3. Place the player at a "safe" entry location.
4. If connected stairs is enabled and the player entered the level via stairs, generate an additional stair of the appropriate type at the player position.

I'd build a solution myself and send a commit, except that I don't have enough C coding experience to pull it off without f***ing up.

This would work as well, it's only the 'arriving' stair that was ever the problem, which can be dealt with separately anyway. What I like about placing the stairs next to a wall is that it's slightly easier to find them in dark rooms. And to encourage diving we should make them as easy to find as possible

Nick February 9, 2020 05:26

New builds are up on the nightlies page and angband.live (source is here) with the following changes:
  • Light radius 1 monsters are now illuminated correctly (thanks Powerwyrm)
  • Morgoth now destroys more walls - noticeable change meant to be in 4.2.0 (Powerwyrm again)
  • Code improvements - remove a bunch of possible null pointer dereferences
  • Several more macOS improvements from backwardsEric

PowerWyrm February 13, 2020 17:07

Nightcrawlers, "serpent of chaoses" (sic) and gorgons in "snake" pits feel out of place...

PowerWyrm February 14, 2020 16:40

Commit d10401c reduced the number of books and reverted colors, but also reverted the cool feature that was the reduction of "unwanted" books for casters. Would be nice to have that back so your mage doesn't find countless priest/nature/shadow books.