Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current master post 4.2.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9659)

Nick February 20, 2020 21:45

New builds up on the nightlies page and angband.live (source is here) with the following changes:
  • Fix to the weird visual effect when there's a panel change while running, showing two players (thanks Diego)
  • Added back sounds for food changes (thanks PowerWyrm)
  • Stairs get torchlit (PowerWyrm)
  • Logic in monster fleeing from damaging terrain corrected (PowerWyrm)
  • Trap immunity and aggravation runes are now learned correctly (#4195)
  • Problems with door openeing and running with trap immunity fixed (#4235)
  • Upgrades to readme (thanks cameron ball and fruviad)
  • Change to scalable tiles in macOS port (hurrah!), and some display code correction (thanks backwardsEric)

mrfy February 21, 2020 07:09

Sound is no longer working on MacOSX with the latest build.

Nick February 21, 2020 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfy (Post 143148)
Sound is no longer working on MacOSX with the latest build.

bacwardsEric is all over this, fix coming soon.

Sphara February 21, 2020 14:12

This is already in stable 4.2.0. but I'm curious how 'monsters learn from their mistakes' actually work. Does the monster need to be intelligent to learn what type of damage doesn't hurt player or what?

The Tarrasque breathed zero-damage fire through Narya at least thrice so it definitely did not learn anything during the long fight.

Pete Mack February 21, 2020 14:20

Sphara--it is correct for the occasional immune breath because you might have changed your equipment. It should be rare though, more like 1/5 to 1/10 the normal rate. Tarrasque usually breathes fire 1 in 6 turns (1/3 of spells and 1/2 of turns casting.) Was this the case?

Sphara February 21, 2020 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 143153)
Sphara--it is correct for the occasional immune breath because you might have changed your equipment. It should be rare though, more like 1/5 to 1/10 the normal rate. Tarrasque usually breathes fire 1 in 6 turns (1/3 of spells and 1/2 of turns casting.) Was this the case?

Never switched the equipment. Narya was wielded throughout the fight. I think it breathed cold twice through Eonwe too (ImmCold).

Edit: For all I know, unless there isn't any 'intelligence' factor, only reasonable thing that caused it to breath through immunity I can come up with, was because it was stunned by Explosion spell. Otherwise, the mechanic didn't work at least the way I expected.

Pete Mack February 21, 2020 14:47

But how many times did it breathe disenchantment? Presumably many more than 2 or 3. That would mean it *did* learn that you have immunity, but "checked" that you didn't take it off. And yes, stunning might have an effect too. Don't know about that.

Sphara February 21, 2020 14:56

Pete - It did use Disenchantment the most. I did hockeystick it quite many times before I allowed him to do the first breath. The first one was fire breath and the ratio of Disen - Fire - Cold was about 6 - 3 - 2.

The reason I posted was that I thought it would NEVER try breathing through immunity twice.

wobbly February 21, 2020 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphara (Post 143152)
This is already in stable 4.2.0. but I'm curious how 'monsters learn from their mistakes' actually work. Does the monster need to be intelligent to learn what type of damage doesn't hurt player or what?

The Tarrasque breathed zero-damage fire through Narya at least thrice so it definitely did not learn anything during the long fight.

Code:

/* Not allowed to learn */
        if (!OPT(p, birth_ai_learn)) return;

/* Too stupid to learn anything */
        if (monster_is_stupid(mon)) return;

/* Not intelligent, only learn sometimes */
        if (!monster_is_smart(mon) && one_in_(2)) return;

/* Analyze the knowledge; fail very rarely */
        if (one_in_(100))
                return;

Pete Mack February 21, 2020 19:09

Wobbly--does this mean you can take of Narya once the monster learns your immunity (and presumably doesn't hit you in melee with the same element)?