Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current master post 4.2.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9659)

wobbly February 21, 2020 19:26

No idea. I haven't yet found where the routine is called from or what it actually does with the knowledge yet. I'm struggling to understand how most of the spell code actually works. My experience playing was that it isn't doing anything. Also breathe weapons have switched to "innate" & I'm not sure what difference that actually makes. Heck maybe it sets the monster to know your resist & then just ignores the knowledge.

Nick February 21, 2020 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 143163)
Wobbly--does this mean you can take of Narya once the monster learns your immunity (and presumably doesn't hit you in melee with the same element)?

In principle, kind of; monsters do have a chance to forget the current player state occasionally, and how much notice they take of their knowledge depends on how smart they are (smart monsters take more notice, so are actually easier to fool the way you describe).

Checking this stuff out has made me aware of a huge hole in the system, though - monsters don't learn from breath attacks. Something will have to be done.

Pete Mack February 21, 2020 22:58

Not very smart then. It should keep trying occasionally just to keep you honest, at around 10%-20% odds.

Nick February 23, 2020 11:55

New builds up on the nightlies page and angband.live (source is here) with the following changes:
  • More improvements to macOS port from backwardsEric, including re-fixing sound;
  • Finally incorporated a patch from molybdenum allowing fancier color-cycling for multicolored monsters;
  • Made the throw command start on the inventory instead of the quiver;
  • Several class changes foreshadowed here:
    • Re-introduced the device damage boost, at half its former value;
    • Reduced duration of Mana Channel to 5+d5, and increased its mana cost;
    • Make Cover Tracks (ranger spell) more effective, and make monsters generally a bit less psychic about where the player is;
    • Blackguards get crowd-based regeneration and damage reduction, a spell to make monsters more likely to rush the player instead of breathing or casting, more hitpoints, ability to wear more armour without impairing spellcasting, permanent aggravation, and melee splash-damage to adjacent monsters.
Some big changes, especially to blackguards; very interested to hear how they play.

Nick February 23, 2020 12:37

Looks like blackguards are digesting way too fast, will have to track that down.

EDIT: Bug found and fixed, new builds will be up shortly.

Diego Gonzalez February 23, 2020 13:15

Probably a stupid thing, but...

z_info->move_energy * 3 / 4

Should be

3 * z_info->move_energy / 4

Years ago the 3/4 part could be optimized to 0. I remember angband coders being careful about that.

Nick February 23, 2020 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego Gonzalez (Post 143197)
Probably a stupid thing, but...

z_info->move_energy * 3 / 4

Should be

3 * z_info->move_energy / 4

Years ago the 3/4 part could be optimized to 0. I remember angband coders being careful about that.

Cool, thanks.

qaz February 24, 2020 16:44

?

I started playing around 1993? - 2.5.1 - 2.7.9 - 2.8.1 - 2.8.3 was pretty stable. The 3s never worked well on Macs and I stoped playing games in 2000. I like 4.0.5 but I don't think artifacts on the ground should be destructible as that does not make sense traditionally after all and if it were posable monsters would have destroyed them by acid or intention a long time ago. Destruction can destroy an Artifact - you must be kidding; I was shocked. Not possible in 1990's so why now. Maces of Disruption always *slay* undead; not now; that's what made them so great. I am not completely sure about all I have said!

Nick February 24, 2020 21:37

New builds are now up with refinements to the changes to blackguards and rangers.

Derakon February 24, 2020 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qaz (Post 143223)
I started playing around 1993? - 2.5.1 - 2.7.9 - 2.8.1 - 2.8.3 was pretty stable. The 3s never worked well on Macs and I stoped playing games in 2000. I like 4.0.5 but I don't think artifacts on the ground should be destructible as that does not make sense traditionally after all and if it were posable monsters would have destroyed them by acid or intention a long time ago. Destruction can destroy an Artifact - you must be kidding; I was shocked. Not possible in 1990's so why now. Maces of Disruption always *slay* undead; not now; that's what made them so great. I am not completely sure about all I have said!

Note that artifacts are not lost in this process unless you have identified them; they can get regenerated later. The reason this was added was to eliminate a tactic of walking up to vaults, using Destruction to remove the enemies, and then picking through the rubble for the artifacts. It was a zero-risk, high-reward strategy, and such things tend to get targeted by game developers because otherwise every game ends up looking the same. As I recall, the main alternative considered at the time was to make vaults Destruction-proof; I don't recall the finer points of the debate though.

I don't think Maces of Destruction had *Slay* undead, just the regular slay. But I admit it's been a long time so I could be wrong.