Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tracking Change from Frog Knows Forward (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8797)

moonsdad January 19, 2018 09:37

Tracking Change from Frog Knows Forward
 
Hello all!

A couple years ago I began comparing the source code for Angband releases beginning with Frog Knows. I've been systematically committing changes on github at https://github.com/moonsdad/angband and tagging the releases as they are reached. I took a short break to finish my masters degree and now am back at it.

My purpose was mainly to see how the code has evolved over time, but I eventually want to catch up to current progress and use it for contributing development. I also want to compare select variants, but In the process, another objective may be reached.

I'm currently trying to recreate 2.7.0-3 based on a comparison of 2.7.4 with 2.6.2 and am thinking of attempting to create a save-file converter which could bring characters saved from old releases into new ones--if possible.

Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone has any save files from back then stashed away?

I also have a few questions about when certain changes occurred, but I'll save them 'til someone self-identifies as someone who may know such things.

Thanks for your time!

Nick January 19, 2018 12:34

You should have a look at the Angband Variant Repository, which has done the history thing for lots of variants. That may already answer some of your questions.

takkaria January 20, 2018 01:57

Ben wrote savefile convertors so you could import the 2.7.x series into 2.8 and probably up into 2.9.3. They would be a good place to start.

rephial.org itself has quite a detailed history section, which was pieced together from newsgroup posts over years. It might be worth checking out.

moonsdad January 20, 2018 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 127599)
You should have a look at the Angband Variant Repository, which has done the history thing for lots of variants. That may already answer some of your questions.

Thank you, That looks like a good breadth of work gathered together. I'll definitely make use of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by takkaria (Post 127611)
Ben wrote savefile convertors so you could import the 2.7.x series into 2.8 and probably up into 2.9.3. They would be a good place to start.

I didn't know about the savefile converters, are they part of the released source for those versions? I'm currently focused on the changes prior to 2.7.0 but it will still probably help pick apart the missing versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by takkaria (Post 127611)
rephial.org itself has quite a detailed history section, which was pieced together from newsgroup posts over years. It might be worth checking out.

Yeah, that is my secondary source after the code itself. It's been immensely helpful--I should probably check out the newsgroup archive itself as well.

Thanks for the replies!

takkaria January 20, 2018 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsdad (Post 127612)
I didn't know about the savefile converters, are they part of the released source for those versions? I'm currently focused on the changes prior to 2.7.0 but it will still probably help pick apart the missing versions.

Yeah, look at (I think) load1.c in 2.9.3. It might be load2. Anyway, one of them is for 'modern' savefiles and the other attempts to import ancient ones.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:33.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.