Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Angband 64 x 64 pixel tileset (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4012)

Rizwan January 22, 2011 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockbolt (Post 47350)
*laughs* I already did add glitter to the artifacts :D

lol :) So does that make us great minds? :)

zaimoni January 23, 2011 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerN (Post 47382)
Alas, I have failed in record time.

I quickly found out that GDI+ can only be used in C++ projects.

But the Windows API can be used in C. In recent versions (think threshold is XP but do a doc check first), the same Windows function that opens *.BMP also opens *.PNG (just change an incoming parameter to signal *.PNG).

Shockbolt January 25, 2011 12:54

more mixed tiles:

http://www.digitalartwork.no/Angband/Mixed_tiles_08.jpg

dos350 January 25, 2011 14:28

very nice tiles still,ee i hear talking of png ??? some blah about no windows c++ etc watever please, im not expert mastercraft but i am thinking sdl extension sdl_img supports png good, no need c++,this could be good default for win?? not to say dont go c++!~!~ goodluck. keep up goodtimes!

RogerN January 25, 2011 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaimoni (Post 47423)
But the Windows API can be used in C. In recent versions (think threshold is XP but do a doc check first), the same Windows function that opens *.BMP also opens *.PNG (just change an incoming parameter to signal *.PNG).

If you can recall where you saw this documented then please share! Everything I've found so far indicates that the standard LoadImage function only supports .BMP, .ICO, and .CUR files.

Quote:

more mixed tiles:
Keep up the amazing work! I'm sure the beauty of your tiles is a major motivator for the devs here :)

BTW - The wall tiles you posted earlier appear to be using a pseudo-isometric style rather than the pure overhead style used by Angband's existing tile system. It sure would be nice if Angband had support for variable tile heights so that we could paint those nice looking walls in an overlapped fashion... it would require some work but it's very doable.

Also, I would guess that support for the different wall types and connectors could probably be handled by the display code without modifying the game code. Internally the game would still use the wall features we already have (Inner, Outer, Extra, etc...) and the display code could just look at the surrounding tiles in order to map each internal wall feature to an appropriate tile as needed.

Shockbolt January 25, 2011 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerN (Post 47544)

BTW - The wall tiles you posted earlier appear to be using a pseudo-isometric style rather than the pure overhead style used by Angband's existing tile system. It sure would be nice if Angband had support for variable tile heights so that we could paint those nice looking walls in an overlapped fashion... it would require some work but it's very doable.

Also, I would guess that support for the different wall types and connectors could probably be handled by the display code without modifying the game code. Internally the game would still use the wall features we already have (Inner, Outer, Extra, etc...) and the display code could just look at the surrounding tiles in order to map each internal wall feature to an appropriate tile as needed.

Have a look at ToME. You'll see how my wall tiles are being used within that game :)

zaimoni January 26, 2011 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerN (Post 47544)
If you can recall where you saw this documented then please share! Everything I've found so far indicates that the standard LoadImage function only supports .BMP, .ICO, and .CUR files.

Ahem...blinded by low-level format specifications. I recalled that the *.BMP info headers were extended to indicate both PNG and JPEG image encoding, but it turns out this is for specialized uses .

Basically, load the image as raw binary data and feed it to SetDIBitsToDevice with a suitable BITMAPINFOHEADER . Whether this works, depends on how much the screen looks like a printer....

desmondch January 30, 2011 20:21

Man - I've been waiting sooo long for a pretty Angband - I still pick up TomeTik for a couple of months every few years.

Are these amazing tiles actually in use in any of the variants? I was sad to see ToME move away from chez Tolkein: and graphics + ascii set for players & monsters? Yuk. Fuglyband to my mind.

Shockbolt January 31, 2011 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by desmondch (Post 47850)
Man - I've been waiting sooo long for a pretty Angband - I still pick up TomeTik for a couple of months every few years.

Are these amazing tiles actually in use in any of the variants? I was sad to see ToME move away from chez Tolkein: and graphics + ascii set for players & monsters? Yuk. Fuglyband to my mind.

I'm painting this tileset these days, still a long way before they're complete. Though angband currently don't support png or tiles somewhat hidden behind other tiles(top of walls partially hiding the player/creatures/items), I hope it will in the future. Meanwhile my tiles are being used to upgrade ToME which already support these features and more, with the option of switching the ASCII symbols and instead play using my 64x64 tiles.

Shockbolt February 12, 2011 18:05

It's been a little while, got a few projects running but the tiles are still being painted for Angband/ToME:

http://www.digitalartwork.no/Angband...ader02grey.png