Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poll: Favorite weak amulet (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7998)

Pete Mack September 27, 2016 23:23

Poll: Favorite weak amulet

What is your favorite weak amulet? Obviously lightning/acid resistance until you have a useful armor or shield. But after that there are 3 choices: Regen, Infravision, and Wisdom. I occasionally see non-priest casters using Wisdom...which I don't even bother to pick up.
So really:
Infravision, for early warning and better archery when you don't have ESP
Regen, for getting back in the battle quickly with fresh mana/hp

Derakon September 28, 2016 00:48

Regeneration is better than all of them for non-holy casters, IMO. Next would be Infravision, since knowing what's in a room can save your life sometimes. Distant third is Wisdom.

The thing about regeneration is that it ups the pace of your game tremendously. Beefy characters practically no longer need to rest, which is nice, but it's far more useful for caster characters, who go from regenerating 1SP per every few turns, to regeneration 1SP every single turn. Not only does this mean a lot less time spent resting, it also greatly improves the number of spells they can cast in a fight. These are solid, reliable benefits that you get no matter how you play, whereas infravision is situational and WIS boosts are tiny saving-throw bonuses at best.

Of course, if I've somehow made it to the depths where elemental resists are really critical and I don't have a better option yet, I'll wear the resist amulets. But I'll grumble about it.

I once made a patch that split physical and magical regeneration into separate flags. As I recall, it never made it in due mostly to issues with the detailed character information page...

MattB September 28, 2016 15:28

I didn't vote because I wear Slow Digestion until I get Trickery. But that's because I'm really lazy.

Ingwe Ingweron September 28, 2016 15:49

No vote from me either, because it depends on the race and class. If I'm playing a Half Troll Warrior, for example, then Slow Digestion will be my weak amulet of choice. A Human any class, I might need Infravision for awhile, a Priest, might need Wisdom, etc.

wobbly September 28, 2016 15:57

I went with infravision, but yeah it depends. If your human it of course skewers things because you don't have it in-built. Besides anything else it's good for whatever Smeagol drops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 113065)
I occasionally see non-priest casters using Wisdom...which I don't even bother to pick up.

Probably a case of wisdom or nothing? Hey maybe it pushes you up to that extra 1% save..

AmyBSOD September 29, 2016 11:12

How's regeneration "weak"?! My early game characters would go out of their way to get their hands on that amulet, and/or spend all of their savings if one pops up early in the Black Market. Granted, I'd swap it out as soon as an amulet of Telepathy shows up, but you don't usually see those early on... But anyway, fast HP *and* SP regeneration? Why would you ever wear something like +2 wisdom over that???

PowerWyrm September 29, 2016 14:08

Amulet of teleportation. It's not even sticky cursed now, so there's no reason to not wear one to speed up the process of exploring levels.

MattB September 29, 2016 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 113105)
Amulet of teleportation. It's not even sticky cursed now, so there's no reason to not wear one to speed up the process of exploring levels.

It doesn't even teleport you in the nightlies. So that's why I don't wear them - seems like cheating...

PowerWyrm September 30, 2016 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattB (Post 113108)
It doesn't even teleport you in the nightlies. So that's why I don't wear them - seems like cheating...

I think rings are cheezy in the nighlies because they give free +2 speed, the amulet simply does nothing. But once this is fixed, they are a viable choice.

Pete Mack October 1, 2016 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 113132)
I think rings are cheezy in the nighlies because they give free +2 speed, the amulet simply does nothing. But once this is fixed, they are a viable choice.

Sure. But by the time you find 3 of them, it's very likely (97%) you can get at least one uncursed. They make starting play much easier for a mage, since you don't have to worry about inventory management before finding STR. It's equivalent to STR+4 or 5.