Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Half-burned torches for sale!" (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=472)

Zero January 7, 2008 01:33

"Half-burned torches for sale!"
 
"Get your certified pre-owned torches right here!"

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that the general store vendors will sell torches with 6000 turn capacity at 3000 turns remaining? Whenever I find myself buying torches, the first thing I do when I get out of the store is combine them into a stack of n/2, where n is the number I bought. I think for the sake of convenience and flavor the torches should be 6000 when bought.

Narvius January 7, 2008 16:30

And, after all, it's unrealistic as hell to combine torches. At least without any glue.

takkaria January 25, 2008 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 4719)
"Get your certified pre-owned torches right here!"

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that the general store vendors will sell torches with 6000 turn capacity at 3000 turns remaining? Whenever I find myself buying torches, the first thing I do when I get out of the store is combine them into a stack of n/2, where n is the number I bought. I think for the sake of convenience and flavor the torches should be 6000 when bought.

Maybe I should fix the maximum capacity of torches to 4000 and nuke this "combining" thing altogether.

AR_chie January 25, 2008 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narvius (Post 4733)
And, after all, it's unrealistic as hell to combine torches. At least without any glue.

use your imagination - try bend them together with a rope :)

Zero January 25, 2008 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by takkaria (Post 5062)
Maybe I should fix the maximum capacity of torches to 4000 and nuke this "combining" thing altogether.

Up to you. The maximum value doesn't matter as much as the fact that each torch weighs 3.0 lbs. That's mainly why I combine them. If you're playing a low STR character like a mage the weight of three or four torches becomes significant.

How much code modification would be required to make the weight a function of the number of turns remaining? So, for example, you could take a 3 lb torch with 3000 turns and combine it with another 3 lb torch with 3000 turns and get a 6 lb torch with 6000 turns? I realize that this change would involve much more code modification than simply adjusting the weight of torches, or their maximum turns.

It might be best to specify a base weight, and then turns per 0.1 lb. For example, an empty lantern could weigh 5 lbs, but a lantern with 15000 turns could weigh 7 lbs. 30000 turns would be 9 lbs. Don't overfill your lantern, or you could end up waiting a really long time. :)

takkaria January 25, 2008 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 5071)
Up to you. The maximum value doesn't matter as much as the fact that each torch weighs 3.0 lbs. That's mainly why I combine them. If you're playing a low STR character like a mage the weight of three or four torches becomes significant.

How much code modification would be required to make the weight a function of the number of turns remaining? So, for example, you could take a 3 lb torch with 3000 turns and combine it with another 3 lb torch with 3000 turns and get a 6 lb torch with 6000 turns? I realize that this change would involve much more code modification than simply adjusting the weight of torches, or their maximum turns.

It might be best to specify a base weight, and then turns per 0.1 lb. For example, an empty lantern could weigh 5 lbs, but a lantern with 15000 turns could weigh 7 lbs. 30000 turns would be 9 lbs. Don't overfill your lantern, or you could end up waiting a really long time. :)

It wouldn't be too hard, but I think it might just be a bit pointless, and a little confusing -- no-one else does this. Perhaps a solution would be wand/rod-style stacking of lanterns+torches. That makes combining (the horrible idea that it is) removable, but replaces it with a nastier hack. Hmm.

camlost January 26, 2008 01:52

Quote:

Maybe I should fix the maximum capacity of torches to 4000 and nuke this "combining" thing altogether.
This would make Ego torches suck really bad.

Quote:

It wouldn't be too hard, but I think it might just be a bit pointless, and a little confusing -- no-one else does this. Perhaps a solution would be wand/rod-style stacking of lanterns+torches. That makes combining (the horrible idea that it is) removable, but replaces it with a nastier hack. Hmm.
I think I pitched this to Leon in Sangband, and I think he came back correctly to shoot it down. I'd vote to just have all torches show up with full fuel and call it a day. It works pretty well in Iron, right?

K.I.L.E.R January 26, 2008 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by takkaria (Post 5062)
Maybe I should fix the maximum capacity of torches to 4000 and nuke this "combining" thing altogether.

Better yet, introduce glow sticks.

roustk January 26, 2008 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by takkaria (Post 5062)
Maybe I should fix the maximum capacity of torches to 4000 and nuke this "combining" thing altogether.

You probably should also consider the interaction between such changes and reduced light radius. Under current settings (reduce at 1500, iirc), this means that each torch will give only 2500 turns of bright light, as opposed to the 3000 now.

Non-refillable ego torches would be interesting, and not necessarily in a bad way. It would be quite reasonable to use a burned out Torch of True Sight (if those can be enabled) and a helm of Light while waiting for the Phial.

Kevin

takkaria February 1, 2008 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 5077)
I'd vote to just have all torches show up with full fuel and call it a day. It works pretty well in Iron, right?

Done:

Code:

- Make torches always be found at 5000 turns
 - Make lanterns always be found at 7500 turns



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.