Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Issues on current master (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8363)

Pete Mack May 10, 2017 09:00

@PowerWyrm--oh wow. I could not figure out how a mage could go something like 20 rounds of melée with a horned reaper with no heals. I was pecking away at around 100 damage/turn, with Barukheled and terrible hit ratio. Yes, it was intended as a demonstration, so the character took significant damage. But it should be essentially impossible, except with something like Deathwreaker. And the stun duration was just forever from Ice Storm.

takkaria May 10, 2017 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 120646)
Looking at mon-timed.h, the STUN_DAM_REDUCTION value is supposed to be "Percentage reduction in damage". But in mon-attack.c, the code is:

Code:

if (stunned) damage = (damage * STUN_DAM_REDUCTION) / 100;

Ah, that's an embarrassing basic maths error. I'll fix that later today and we can see how it plays...

Sky May 10, 2017 10:23

i agree with the stun being overpowered; i was meleeing mobs with a 300 dmg weapon and can take on stuff like Glaurung and the Tarrasque. However, i would like to see this effect lessened, not removed. The idea is right, it just needs tweaking.

Gwarl May 10, 2017 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 120646)
Ok don't do that. For what I've seen, stuff like Slow and Confuse are still marginally useful because not really powerful, so it's ok to leave them without saving throw.

No! There are profound philosophical objections to disallowing monster saving throws, it's not just a matter of working through the cascade of smaller issues the change causes. I can go through this one again.

PowerWyrm May 10, 2017 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 120649)
i agree with the stun being overpowered; i was meleeing mobs with a 300 dmg weapon and can take on stuff like Glaurung and the Tarrasque. However, i would like to see this effect lessened, not removed. The idea is right, it just needs tweaking.

Well the point is that stun was not overpowered... it was bugged :)

Nick May 10, 2017 13:11

The latest builds on the nightlies page now have
  • saving throws and fixes for status effects and
  • fixes to the randart generation crash, and the DL99->DL100 crash

So we would like to hear about balance for both the status effects and the randart generation algorithm.

Sky May 10, 2017 14:46

yass!
i can finally into morgoth.

PowerWyrm May 10, 2017 16:11

Looking at the new changes for confuse monster, the duration was changed for "confuse monster" (wand + spells) and "confuse monsters" (staff), but not for other effects using MON_CONF: Totila activation (MON_CONFUSE) + Bedlam spell.

Gwarl May 10, 2017 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 120652)
The latest builds on the nightlies page now have
  • saving throws and fixes for status effects and
  • fixes to the randart generation crash, and the DL99->DL100 crash

So we would like to hear about balance for both the status effects and the randart generation algorithm.

Gah I still have a character alive from the last build. I just found two scrolls of deep descent though so I'll see about fixing that

PowerWyrm May 10, 2017 16:34

"Farmer Maggot looks for his dogs. . Farmer Maggot tells you to get off his land.."

Adding damage for melee attacks didn't take into consideration FM's moaning when dealing with punctuation. Similar issue should also happen with Orfax and co's insults.