Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post your last instadeath (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4170)

Nick March 2, 2011 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 49328)
I'm pretty sure S/O also use attenuated breath damage.

Yes, as does FA.

NotMorgoth March 2, 2011 08:07

I think you are also less likely to end up in an instadeath situation when you go downstairs/recall/tele-level in S.

While I have occasionally gone down stairs and found myself in LOS of a monster, I have never come down in the middle of a pack of hounds, for example.

camlost March 2, 2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMorgoth (Post 49350)
I think you are also less likely to end up in an instadeath situation when you go downstairs/recall/tele-level in S.

While I have occasionally gone down stairs and found myself in LOS of a monster, I have never come down in the middle of a pack of hounds, for example.

I think a number of variants, S included (NPP? O?) try very hard to tuck stairs away in halls to help with this.

Derakon March 2, 2011 18:15

Isn't that tied to 4GAI? Since monsters are in general more deadly with the advanced AI, appearing in a room surrounded by them is in turn more unfair in games with 4GAI than those without.

camlost March 2, 2011 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49358)
Isn't that tied to 4GAI? Since monsters are in general more deadly with the advanced AI, appearing in a room surrounded by them is in turn more unfair in games with 4GAI than those without.

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I've heard nppangband mention it for the epynomous variant, and it seems familiar from O.

Timo Pietilš March 3, 2011 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49358)
Isn't that tied to 4GAI? Since monsters are in general more deadly with the advanced AI, appearing in a room surrounded by them is in turn more unfair in games with 4GAI than those without.

I'm pretty sure that is the reason. Appearing in a room with pack of gravity hounds or similar in 4GAI that would mean that all of them would use the deadliest weapon they have as first move against you.

LostTemplar March 3, 2011 14:54

Quote:

all of them would use the deadliest weapon they have as first move against you.
Not as a first move, but when they got a roll for ranged attack. Not every monster uses ranged attack every turn, in fact only few monsters do this, in O, FA, S, a bit more in NPP.

camlost March 3, 2011 21:23

My last instadeath was around dlevel 60 and ~350hp. A player ghost existed a wall and brain smashed me twice before I had a chance to react.

Detect monster doesn't catch ghosts :( But at that depth with those HP, I shouldn't be surprised.

Derakon March 3, 2011 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 49395)
My last instadeath was around dlevel 60 and ~350hp. A player ghost existed a wall and brain smashed me twice before I had a chance to react.

You gave the ghosts the old Wand of Wall Building from Moria? You are cruel.

I miss that wand. :(

Bostock March 4, 2011 11:24

I have a hunch he meant to wrote "exited," and was simply referring to a wallwalking player ghost... Sangband, I would guess -- or does some other variant also have brainsmashing damage of that caliber?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.