Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post your last instadeath (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4170)

Timo Pietilš March 6, 2011 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 49486)
Just got killed by a nether wraith... on dungeon level five. Wasn't quite instant, but it was pretty dang fast. Got exp-drained out of nowhere, detected invisible expecting an OOD banshee that I could try to run from - death.

Guess that explains the 'superb' feeling...

That requires a vault somewhere nearby. At dlvl5 it is possible, just not likely.

buzzkill March 6, 2011 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 49486)
Just got killed by a nether wraith... on dungeon level five. Wasn't quite instant, but it was pretty dang fast. Got exp-drained out of nowhere, detected invisible expecting an OOD banshee that I could try to run from - death.

Guess that explains the 'superb' feeling...

Sucks to be you, but I think that kinda thing every once in a while is awesome. It would have been better if you were able to escape.

thapper March 7, 2011 19:04

The Phoenix after forgetting the I had switched out my =rFire.

Scraper March 8, 2011 11:01

Last "instadeath" was a priest who had just found telepathy. Thought I was on the gravy train by casting OoD from a long long corridor at an angel of some type (Cherub I think). It summoned a few things, they didn't look too dangerous, so I thought they would all just die in the OoD. Little green 'g's have now earned themselves a 1000 fold increase in respect.

The reason I mention the telepathy is that I (player) didn't know there was a drolem there. But, the tombstone definitely had drolem written on it, so I guess the character did.

The time before that was a HE mage. A death knight or black knight summoned what I thought was an ancient White dragon. Big white D. Turned out to be an ancient multi-hued. Boom! The unfortunate thing about it was that I got caught out to a stupid keyboard error that I make conastantly. When the screen burst with colour and letters, I immediately go for the "look direction" command. This has the effect of
a) clearing the -more-
b) makeing me attack again in the direction I had wanted to look in.

argh

Derakon March 8, 2011 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scraper (Post 49515)
The reason I mention the telepathy is that I (player) didn't know there was a drolem there. But, the tombstone definitely had drolem written on it, so I guess the character did.

The tombstone always showed what killed you, even if it's invisible and you don't have SI. Drolems can't be detected by telepathy.

Scraper March 9, 2011 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49517)
The tombstone always showed what killed you, even if it's invisible and you don't have SI. Drolems can't be detected by telepathy.

Thanks for that. That explains a lot. I literally sat staring at the tombstone for a couple of minutes trying to work out what happened. It wasn't until I looked up the info. that I found out about the non-detection by telepathy.

Timo Pietilš March 9, 2011 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scraper (Post 49534)
Thanks for that. That explains a lot. I literally sat staring at the tombstone for a couple of minutes trying to work out what happened. It wasn't until I looked up the info. that I found out about the non-detection by telepathy.

It is a golem, golems can't be detected by telepathy, they all have EMPTY_MIND -flag. It isn't evil either, so detect evil doesn't see it either. Detect/reveal monster and detection do.

PowerDiver March 9, 2011 08:29

I just lost a really powerful char to a pack of plasma hounds. I went to punt them, got knocked out and died before I knew what happened. It appears that rSound no longer prevents stunning from plasma breaths. Am I at least remembering correctly that rSound used to prevent stunning from plasma breaths?

Nick March 9, 2011 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerDiver (Post 49541)
I just lost a really powerful char to a pack of plasma hounds. I went to punt them, got knocked out and died before I knew what happened. It appears that rSound no longer prevents stunning from plasma breaths. Am I at least remembering correctly that rSound used to prevent stunning from plasma breaths?

It changed shortly after 3.2.0 was released; there is now a direct rStun, which prevents plasma stunning. I'm not sure if anything gives it yet, though...

Taha March 9, 2011 15:22

I'm playing the nightlies, and there is no rstun listed on the character screen. I would have expected it to be added there first.
________
Live sex