Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post your last instadeath (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4170)

ChodTheWacko March 1, 2011 01:21

Post your last instadeath

Azriel,Angel of Death - breathed nether. I had 530 hit points, so I just barely got killed. Pretty dissapointing - Lvl 39 ranger, I had artifact boots of speed (+13) and a ring of speed (+9), three immunities.

My last character wasn't -quite- an instadeath, but pretty close.
Something breathed confusion, and I couldn't use any of my escapes.
I tried my staff of teleport, failed, and was dead the next turn.

I always forget to dump my character log whenever I see a gravestone.

- Frank

Derakon March 1, 2011 01:27

Playing a warrior, no rod of trap detection found yet, trap door dropped me into a room with the only exit guarded by a group of novice paladins. Managed to phase into the corridor, but it led straight away from the room with no bends, so they cursed me to death as I fled.

HallucinationMushroom March 1, 2011 02:18

Living Dungeon, Oangband. Serious ouch... Didn't realize they could breathe seriously nasty acid. -400 or so final hitpoints, even with around 50% acid resistance.

Nick March 1, 2011 02:34

Waldern, Oangband. Walked toward me as I cast spells at him, then suddenly double-moved me, both casting storms. Dead from 586 HP.

Fendell Orcbane March 1, 2011 02:50

Wiruin, the maelstorm(FA) double moved me and I died. I'm not sure if I was double resisted and even if I was hasted he would have been able to double move me. I knew he was there too, but either my resistance faded or I forgot to double resist. But yeah I when from 824 to -406. This is actually the first time that I have been instakilled.

Pete Mack March 1, 2011 04:53

I don't remember the most recent, but I do remember the most dramatic.
Go down (disconnected) stairs at dl 75 or so in NPP. It's a small level with a hydra pit nearby, and no nearby stairs.
Teleport self.

Code:

The 11-headed hydra breathes plasma--more--the 12 headed hydra breathes inertia--more--
#########################
#                      #
# ##################### #
# #MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM# #
#@'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM# #
# ##################### #
#                      #
#########################

Derakon March 1, 2011 05:07

Wait, was that the entire level?

Pete Mack March 1, 2011 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49293)
Wait, was that the entire level?

No, that was the result of teleport self--there were a couple other rooms and quite a few hallways on the level. It was a bit of a surprise. Also funny.

Bostock March 1, 2011 10:44

Sangband, trying to get apparently the first-ever win without Spell Resistance. Level 100, fighting the big P. Slowed to +27 speed by mind-blasting from some greater undead. Morgoth shouts at you DIE! x2 in one turn. You die.

Timo Pietilä March 1, 2011 11:36

Vanilla 3.2 after getting really frustrated by using lot of time clearing CGV and getting pretty much nothing useful from it at stat-gain (phial IIRC was only thing found I used, and it might have been monster drop), I found a four-room special room with Kavlax. Knowing that it might be instant death I shoot, it breathes gravity, then nexus. RIP.

fizzix March 1, 2011 15:43

V has new mimics that don't show up on the monster list. Therefore my last instadeath was walking next to a trapper and it hitting me for 150 damage or so.

Other instadeaths:
It breathes gas
You die
Killed by a drolem (3 times, usually a priest or paladin)

Azriel, Angel of Death breathes nether
You die
Killed by Azriel, Angel of Death (3 times, usually after a failed attempt at TO, or him getting me from off-screen)

(cast teleport self)
The gravity hound breathes gravity
You feel gravity warp around you (repeat 10-20 times)
you die (2 times, teleported into room)

The crebain shrieks
You feel a stirring around you
The death knight casts a nether bolt
The death knight casts a nether bolt
You die (1 time)

I think those are my only causes of instadeath

LostTemplar March 1, 2011 18:50

It breaths acid, you have -400 hp now, by living dungeon.

NotMorgoth March 1, 2011 21:09

Hit a teleport trap on DL1, teleported into a disconnected region of the dungeon with no staircases. Starved to death.

I think instadeaths must be less common in Sangband than other variants, as I hardly ever have them - the above is the only one I can remember.

Bostock March 1, 2011 23:23

Does V breath dissipate with distance? If not, that would explain a lot.

PowerDiver March 1, 2011 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostock (Post 49325)
Does V breath dissipate with distance? If not, that would explain a lot.

Are there any variants besides NPP in which breath damage drops with distance?

Derakon March 1, 2011 23:47

V breath dissipates with distance in the sense that monsters will take less damage from breath attacks because they aren't at the epicenter. The player is always at the epicenter and takes full damage.

(V breath attacks are just ball spells with a different damage formula)

camlost March 1, 2011 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerDiver (Post 49326)
Are there any variants besides NPP in which breath damage drops with distance?

I'm pretty sure S/O also use attenuated breath damage.

Bostock March 2, 2011 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49327)
V breath dissipates with distance in the sense that monsters will take less damage from breath attacks because they aren't at the epicenter. The player is always at the epicenter and takes full damage.

(V breath attacks are just ball spells with a different damage formula)

Roughly as I thought.

Man, and I thought fighting the Tarrasque was tough in S! in V, it must be redonculous.

tprice March 2, 2011 01:06

V3.2 on android. About 5 min ago.

Zot the HE Mage level 17 at dl16. No egos beyound boots of stealth and a slay undead dagger so far but doing ok at hitting and running orc mobs as he moved down. Recall escaped a couple times from uniques.

Got a surpurb feeling. Detected traps and lit up room. Rested. The ancient white dragon came aound corrner, breaths, you die...

I hadn't even seen adult dragons yet! There must have been a vault I didn't spot iin that fist detect...

Thomas Price
Aka the bookworm

fizzix March 2, 2011 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostock (Post 49329)
Roughly as I thought.

Man, and I thought fighting the Tarrasque was tough in S! in V, it must be redonculous.

Tarrasque, Huan and Carcharoth are all very tough monsters. (as well they should be!)

Personally I think Huan is worse than Tarrasque because I'm often missing rshard.

Nick March 2, 2011 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 49328)
I'm pretty sure S/O also use attenuated breath damage.

Yes, as does FA.

NotMorgoth March 2, 2011 08:07

I think you are also less likely to end up in an instadeath situation when you go downstairs/recall/tele-level in S.

While I have occasionally gone down stairs and found myself in LOS of a monster, I have never come down in the middle of a pack of hounds, for example.

camlost March 2, 2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMorgoth (Post 49350)
I think you are also less likely to end up in an instadeath situation when you go downstairs/recall/tele-level in S.

While I have occasionally gone down stairs and found myself in LOS of a monster, I have never come down in the middle of a pack of hounds, for example.

I think a number of variants, S included (NPP? O?) try very hard to tuck stairs away in halls to help with this.

Derakon March 2, 2011 18:15

Isn't that tied to 4GAI? Since monsters are in general more deadly with the advanced AI, appearing in a room surrounded by them is in turn more unfair in games with 4GAI than those without.

camlost March 2, 2011 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49358)
Isn't that tied to 4GAI? Since monsters are in general more deadly with the advanced AI, appearing in a room surrounded by them is in turn more unfair in games with 4GAI than those without.

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I've heard nppangband mention it for the epynomous variant, and it seems familiar from O.

Timo Pietilä March 3, 2011 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49358)

I'm pretty sure that is the reason. Appearing in a room with pack of gravity hounds or similar in 4GAI that would mean that all of them would use the deadliest weapon they have as first move against you.

LostTemplar March 3, 2011 14:54

Quote:

all of them would use the deadliest weapon they have as first move against you.
Not as a first move, but when they got a roll for ranged attack. Not every monster uses ranged attack every turn, in fact only few monsters do this, in O, FA, S, a bit more in NPP.

camlost March 3, 2011 21:23

My last instadeath was around dlevel 60 and ~350hp. A player ghost existed a wall and brain smashed me twice before I had a chance to react.

Detect monster doesn't catch ghosts :( But at that depth with those HP, I shouldn't be surprised.

Derakon March 3, 2011 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlost (Post 49395)
My last instadeath was around dlevel 60 and ~350hp. A player ghost existed a wall and brain smashed me twice before I had a chance to react.

You gave the ghosts the old Wand of Wall Building from Moria? You are cruel.

I miss that wand. :(

Bostock March 4, 2011 11:24

I have a hunch he meant to wrote "exited," and was simply referring to a wallwalking player ghost... Sangband, I would guess -- or does some other variant also have brainsmashing damage of that caliber?

Mondkalb March 4, 2011 11:49

Just plain stupid:
Code:

> The Demilich magically summons an undead adversary!
> 3 Liches are destroyed.
> 3 Archliches grunt with pain.
> 3 Demiliches grunt with pain.
> The Black reaver grunts with pain.
> 2 Master liches grunt with pain.
> 3 Demiliches are immune.
> The Black reaver is immune.
> 2 Master liches are immune.
> 2 Archliches are immune.
> Feagwath, the Undead Sorcerer invokes a mana storm.
> The 71 gold pieces worth of silver is destroyed!
> The 123 gold pieces worth of gold is destroyed!
> The War Hammer is destroyed!
> You die.

Timo Pietilä March 4, 2011 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 49419)
Just plain stupid:
Code:

> The Demilich magically summons an undead adversary!
> 3 Liches are destroyed.
> 3 Archliches grunt with pain.
> 3 Demiliches grunt with pain.
> The Black reaver grunts with pain.
> 2 Master liches grunt with pain.
> 3 Demiliches are immune.
> The Black reaver is immune.
> 2 Master liches are immune.
> 2 Archliches are immune.
> Feagwath, the Undead Sorcerer invokes a mana storm.
> The 71 gold pieces worth of silver is destroyed!
> The 123 gold pieces worth of gold is destroyed!
> The War Hammer is destroyed!
> You die.

What happened here?

Mondkalb March 4, 2011 14:42

Tried out a Staff of Dispel Evil. Didn't notice, that someone stroke back. ;)

It would have been completely avoidable. If I only had teleported or healed. ^^

As I said: Plain stupid.

buzzkill March 4, 2011 15:04

It's an entirely misleading title. Maybe a disclaimer* is in order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The RNG

* This staff does not actually dispel evil. The chance of any evil creature actually ceasing to exist because of the effects of this staff is minimal. Multiple uses may be required for any noticeable effect. Not intended for use on dragons, demons, greater undead or uniques (or anything more powerful than your typical orc). Test effectiveness on an inconspicuous lone enemy before attempting to use on a large group. Use of this staff in a dungeon environment may result in serious injury or death.

Alternatively, the staff judged you to be evil.

Mondkalb March 4, 2011 15:22

In future it will be autoinscribed with {Staff of detect stupid}. ;)

Bostock March 4, 2011 15:44

Heh. Reminds me of the Bar Door spell (in Sangband only perhaps?) and door barring in general:

Do not expect this action to be worth the turns, let alone the mana, invested in it when it is used against monsters that can unlock doors, break down doors, or even just look disapprovingly at doors, or, more generally, anything worth the effort of trying to restrain behind a door in the first place.

Max Stats March 4, 2011 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostock (Post 49431)
Heh. Reminds me of the Bar Door spell (in Sangband only perhaps?) and door barring in general:

Do not expect this action to be worth the turns, let alone the mana, invested in it when it is used against monsters that can unlock doors, break down doors, or even just look disapprovingly at doors, or, more generally, anything worth the effort of trying to restrain behind a door in the first place.

Which is why my first item squelch in almost every game is spikes. I have never found them even the slightest bit useful. They aren't even worth lugging up to sell.

Therem Harth March 5, 2011 06:04

Quote:

Kavlax the Many-Headed wakes up.
Kavlax the Many-Headed says: ‘Take this, you sissy!'
Kavlax the Many-Headed breathes fire.
The Young black dragon cries out in pain.
Et tu, Brute! Then fall, Caesar!
That was... memorable. :D

PowerDiver March 5, 2011 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Stats (Post 49440)
Which is why my first item squelch in almost every game is spikes. I have never found them even the slightest bit useful. They aren't even worth lugging up to sell.

You can throw them for a tiny bit of damage. I've used spikes to kill floating eyes or to finish of fleeing foes, saving my oil and ammo for later.

Nomad March 6, 2011 15:52

Just got killed by a nether wraith... on dungeon level five. Wasn't quite instant, but it was pretty dang fast. Got exp-drained out of nowhere, detected invisible expecting an OOD banshee that I could try to run from - death.

Guess that explains the 'superb' feeling...

Timo Pietilä March 6, 2011 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 49486)
Just got killed by a nether wraith... on dungeon level five. Wasn't quite instant, but it was pretty dang fast. Got exp-drained out of nowhere, detected invisible expecting an OOD banshee that I could try to run from - death.

That requires a vault somewhere nearby. At dlvl5 it is possible, just not likely.

buzzkill March 6, 2011 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 49486)

Sucks to be you, but I think that kinda thing every once in a while is awesome. It would have been better if you were able to escape.

thapper March 7, 2011 19:04

The Phoenix after forgetting the I had switched out my =rFire.

Scraper March 8, 2011 11:01

Last "instadeath" was a priest who had just found telepathy. Thought I was on the gravy train by casting OoD from a long long corridor at an angel of some type (Cherub I think). It summoned a few things, they didn't look too dangerous, so I thought they would all just die in the OoD. Little green 'g's have now earned themselves a 1000 fold increase in respect.

The reason I mention the telepathy is that I (player) didn't know there was a drolem there. But, the tombstone definitely had drolem written on it, so I guess the character did.

The time before that was a HE mage. A death knight or black knight summoned what I thought was an ancient White dragon. Big white D. Turned out to be an ancient multi-hued. Boom! The unfortunate thing about it was that I got caught out to a stupid keyboard error that I make conastantly. When the screen burst with colour and letters, I immediately go for the "look direction" command. This has the effect of
a) clearing the -more-
b) makeing me attack again in the direction I had wanted to look in.

argh

Derakon March 8, 2011 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scraper (Post 49515)
The reason I mention the telepathy is that I (player) didn't know there was a drolem there. But, the tombstone definitely had drolem written on it, so I guess the character did.

The tombstone always showed what killed you, even if it's invisible and you don't have SI. Drolems can't be detected by telepathy.

Scraper March 9, 2011 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 49517)
The tombstone always showed what killed you, even if it's invisible and you don't have SI. Drolems can't be detected by telepathy.

Thanks for that. That explains a lot. I literally sat staring at the tombstone for a couple of minutes trying to work out what happened. It wasn't until I looked up the info. that I found out about the non-detection by telepathy.

Timo Pietilä March 9, 2011 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scraper (Post 49534)
Thanks for that. That explains a lot. I literally sat staring at the tombstone for a couple of minutes trying to work out what happened. It wasn't until I looked up the info. that I found out about the non-detection by telepathy.

It is a golem, golems can't be detected by telepathy, they all have EMPTY_MIND -flag. It isn't evil either, so detect evil doesn't see it either. Detect/reveal monster and detection do.

PowerDiver March 9, 2011 08:29

I just lost a really powerful char to a pack of plasma hounds. I went to punt them, got knocked out and died before I knew what happened. It appears that rSound no longer prevents stunning from plasma breaths. Am I at least remembering correctly that rSound used to prevent stunning from plasma breaths?

Nick March 9, 2011 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerDiver (Post 49541)
I just lost a really powerful char to a pack of plasma hounds. I went to punt them, got knocked out and died before I knew what happened. It appears that rSound no longer prevents stunning from plasma breaths. Am I at least remembering correctly that rSound used to prevent stunning from plasma breaths?

It changed shortly after 3.2.0 was released; there is now a direct rStun, which prevents plasma stunning. I'm not sure if anything gives it yet, though...

Taha March 9, 2011 15:22

I'm playing the nightlies, and there is no rstun listed on the character screen. I would have expected it to be added there first.
________
Live sex

bron March 9, 2011 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 49543)
there is now a direct rStun

This is great! I completely approve. I was always minorly annoyed by rSound standing in as a proxy for the non-existant rStun; glad to see it is being changed. I hope the other end of things (i.e. something that actually *gives* rStun) gets here soon.

bron March 9, 2011 22:15

A couple of days ago I had a very promising character for comp 99 insta-killed by a Vecna mana-storm. I had 540HP, immunity to fire, cold, acid, a decent weapon, and base speed +11. Since the end of the comp was coming up, I was pushing it a bit and entered a greater vault I would have normally passed on. I hasted myself (so speed now +21) and took down a granite wall with the intent of teleporting Vecna away. In the one turn Vecna had to act, he not only mana-stormed, but managed the relatively low-odds (for Vecna) feat of producing one of more than 540 hp. 542 to be precise.

I was so annoyed I didn't even bother to post the death on the comp ladder.

will_asher March 10, 2011 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 49543)
It changed shortly after 3.2.0 was released; there is now a direct rStun, which prevents plasma stunning. I'm not sure if anything gives it yet, though...

If there's a separate Rstun then what the point of Rsound? I thought Rsound WAS Rstun?

When I heard they were putting in an Rstun, I thought that meant that Rsound was going to be renamed Rstun.

Derakon March 10, 2011 02:08

rSound protects against sound breath, naturally. Gold dragons (and dragon flies), vibration hounds, law/balance drakes/great wyrms, Kavlax, aether foos, great wyrms of thunder, Kronos, and Huan all breathe sound.

Maybe shrieks for help could also deal some sonic damage as your ears bleed? ;)

will_asher March 10, 2011 03:32

But I thought it was an accepted thing about high resists that they were primarily for blocking side effects anyway.

Timo Pietilä March 10, 2011 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by will_asher (Post 49575)
But I thought it was an accepted thing about high resists that they were primarily for blocking side effects anyway.

Not anymore. There are separate "block effect from any source, but not damage" called protections, and high-resists are now "block effect and damage from this thing only".

Resists block the side-effects from their own attack types. Confusion was removed as attack type and moved to protections as well as fear and blindness. Item-wise those are now in same category with ESP, FA and See_Inv, so that items with random ability can have something else than just ESP that might interest you. Lothlorien with confusion, magi with ESP, Gondolin with blindness.

will_asher March 10, 2011 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä (Post 49583)
Not anymore. There are separate "block effect from any source, but not damage" called protections, and high-resists are now "block effect and damage from this thing only".

Resists block the side-effects from their own attack types. Confusion was removed as attack type and moved to protections as well as fear and blindness. Item-wise those are now in same category with ESP, FA and See_Inv, so that items with random ability can have something else than just ESP that might interest you. Lothlorien with confusion, magi with ESP, Gondolin with blindness.

Now that I actually think about it, I admit it makes sense, but I don't want it for DaJAngband.
That also makes random resists much less valuable since four (fear, conf, blind & stun) of the most valuable of them moved to random powers.

I still think there's isn't much point in having Rsound in the game when there's also Rstun which protects from all stunning.

Raxmei March 10, 2011 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerDiver (Post 49461)
You can throw them for a tiny bit of damage. I've used spikes to kill floating eyes or to finish of fleeing foes, saving my oil and ammo for later.

Yeah, last time I faced Smeagol it was in a room with a stack of iron spikes and I amused myself throwing them at him while waiting for him to get close. Not terribly efficient but in the end I did kill him. Of course practically speaking I would have killed him with little trouble anyway and I wouldn't have bothered if the spikes hadn't been right there at the time.

Most recent quick death was cracking a vault. An ancient multihued dragon, bile demon, and nine-headed hydra all breathed at me at the same time. I could have survived any two of those and healed back to full with no trouble. Considering my bad habit of fighting it out with greater undead I suppose it's a minor miracle I haven't gotten mana storm tag teamed by black reavers yet.

ulrichvonbek March 12, 2011 18:25

I'm trying to figure out what I should have done differently? I had just killed an Ancient Green, and I had the GDSM on for that. I saw Azriel coming, and I was planning on teleporting him away, but he had other ideas. Would wearing Hithlomir have made a difference? I was at something like -123 after he breathed on me.

Oh well, this was by far my most successful mage ever.

Code:

> You activate it.
> The Phial wells with clear light...
> You are surrounded by a white light.
> Azriel, Angel of Death breathes nether.
> You feel your life draining away!
> You die.

Killed by Azriel, Angel of Death.

[Character Equipment]

a) The Beaked Axe of Theoden (2d6) (+9,+10) (+3)
    +3 wisdom, constitution.
    Slays dragons.
    Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
    Slows your metabolism.  Grants telepathy. 

When aimed, it drains up to 120 hit points of life from a target c
    reature.
    Takes 124 turns to recharge at your current speed.
    Your chance of success is 96.5%

Combat info:
    2 blows/round.
    With an additional 2 strength and 0 dex you would get 3 blows
    With an additional 0 strength and 3 dex you would get 3 blows
    Average damage/hit: 40.9 vs. dragons, and 25.7 vs. others.

b) The Light Crossbow 'Cubragol' (x3) (+10,+14) (+10)
    +10 speed.
    Branded with flames.
    Provides resistance to fire.

c) a Ring of Intelligence (+4)
    +4 intelligence.
    Sustains intelligence.

d) a Ring of Constitution (+4)
    +4 constitution.
    Sustains constitution.

e) an Amulet of ESP (+8)
    +40% to searching.
    Grants telepathy. 

f) The Phial of Galadriel (charging)

When activated, it lights up the surrounding area, hurting light-s
    ensitive creatures.
    Takes 34 to 62 turns to recharge at your current speed.
    Your chance of success is 97.6%

Radius 3 light.
g) Green Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+22]
    Provides resistance to poison.

h) an Elven Cloak of Protection [6,+14] (+2 stealth)
    +2 stealth.
    Provides resistance to shards.

i) The Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, light, dark,
    blindness.

j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
    +2 intelligence, wisdom.
    +10% to searching.
    Provides resistance to blindness, confusion.
    Grants the ability to see invisible things. 

When activated, it detects treasure, traps, doors, stairs, and all
    creatures nearby.
    Takes 173 to 341 turns to recharge at your current speed.

k) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' (+5,+5) [1,+10]
    Provides resistance to light.
    Sustains constitution.
    Prevents paralysis. 

When aimed, it fires a magic missile with damage 3d4.
    Takes 6 turns to recharge at your current speed.
    Your chance of success is 97.3%

Radius 1 light.
l) The Pair of Leather Boots of Wormtongue (-1,-1) [2,+7] (+3)
    +3 intelligence, dexterity, stealth, speed.
    Feather Falling. 

When activated, it teleports you randomly up to 10 squares away.
    Takes 62 turns to recharge at your current speed.
    Your chance of success is 97.3%

[Character Quiver]

n) 16 Bolts of Venom (1d5) (+6,+4)
    Branded with venom.

Combat info:
    Hits targets up to 120 feet away.
    Average damage/hit: 194.6 vs. creatures not resistant to fire,
    194.6 vs. creatures not resistant to poison, and 64.9 vs. others.
    25% chance of breaking upon contact.

o) 9 Bolts (1d5) (+6,+9)
    Combat info:
    Average damage/hit: 241 vs. creatures not resistant to fire, and
    80.3 vs. others.

p) 22 Arrows of Wounding (1d4) (+9,+16)
q) 17 Bolts of Slay Giant (1d5) (+14,+13)
    Slays giants.

Combat info:
    Average damage/hit: 278.1 vs. giants, 278.1 vs. creatures not
    resistant to fire, and 92.7 vs. others.

r) 24 Mithril Arrows of Venom (3d4) (+7,+7)
    Branded with venom.
    Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.

s) 8 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+5)
    Combat info:
    Average damage/hit: 201.9 vs. creatures not resistant to fire, and
    67.3 vs. others.

t) (nothing)
u) (nothing)
v) (nothing)
w) (nothing)

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@1}
b) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@2}
c) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@3}
d) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@4}
e) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@5}

f) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Raal's Tome of Destruction] {@6}

g) 4 Books of Magic Spells [Mordenkainen's Escapes] {@7}

h) 19 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

i) 4 Potions of Healing

j) 2 Scrolls of Banishment
k) a Rod of Probing
l) 3 Rods of Cold Balls
m) a Wand of Drain Life (2 charges)

n) 3 Staves of Dispel Evil (6 charges)

o) a Ring of Speed (+9)
    +9 speed.

p) a Ring of Damage (+0,+11)
q) The Soft Leather Armour 'Hithlomir' [4,+20] (+4)
    +4 stealth.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, dark, nether.

r) a Wicker Shield of Preservation [2,+23]
    Provides resistance to blindness, disenchantment.
    Sustains strength, dexterity, constitution.
    Sustains your life force. 

s) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand (+9,+9) [6,+20] (+3)
    +3 strength, dexterity, constitution.
    Provides resistance to acid, cold, dark, nexus.
    Sustains strength, dexterity, constitution.
    Aggravates creatures nearby. 

t) The Main Gauche of Azaghal (2d5) (+12,+14)
    *Slays* dragons.
    Provides immunity to fire.
    Provides resistance to acid, fear.

Combat info:
    4 blows/round.
    Average damage/hit: 53.2 vs. dragons, and 28 vs. others.

u) The Rapier 'Careth Asdriag' (2d6) (+16,+12) (+1)
    +1 strength, dexterity, constitution, attack speed.
    Slays animals, orcs, trolls, giants, dragons.

Combat info:
    5 blows/round.
    Average damage/hit: 34.6 vs. animals, 42 vs. orcs, 42 vs. trolls,
    42 vs. giants, 42 vs. dragons, and 27.2 vs. others.

v) The Lucerne Hammer 'Turmil' (2d5) (+10,+11) [+8] (+4) (charging)
    +4 wisdom, infravision.
    Slays orcs.
    Branded with frost.
    Provides immunity to cold.
    Provides resistance to light.
    Blessed by the gods.  Speeds regeneration. 

When aimed, it drains up to 90 hit points of life from a target cr
    eature.
    Takes 124 turns to recharge at your current speed.

Combat info:
    3 blows/round.
    With an additional 5 strength and 0 dex you would get 4 blows
    With an additional 0 strength and 1 dex you would get 4 blows
    Average damage/hit: 38.1 vs. orcs, 38.1 vs. creatures not
    resistant to cold, and 25.3 vs. others.

Radius 1 light.

[Home Inventory]

a) 6 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@1}
b) 11 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@2}
c) 11 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@3}
d) 8 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@4}
e) 2 Potions of *Healing*
    It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.

f) 9 Potions of Restore Mana
g) a Potion of Restore Intelligence
h) 9 Potions of Restore Life Levels
i) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*
j) a Scroll of Mass Banishment
k) a Staff of *Destruction* (3 charges)

l) a Ring of Speed (+5)
    +5 speed.

m) Metal Scale Mail of Elvenkind [12,+22] (+3 stealth)
    +3 stealth.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, nether.

n) Metal Scale Mail of Elvenkind [12,+18] (+3 stealth)
    +3 stealth.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, shards.

o) Augmented Chain Mail of Elvenkind [16,+15] (+1 stealth)
    +1 stealth.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, confusion.

p) a Mithril Shield of Elvenkind [10,+27] (+1 stealth)
    +1 stealth.
    Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, confusion.

q) The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil [2,+10] (+2)
    +2 intelligence, wisdom.
    Provides resistance to blindness.
    Grants telepathy. 

r) a Pair of Steel Shod Boots of Stability [6,+14]
    Provides resistance to nexus.
    Feather Falling. 

s) The Halberd 'Osondir' (3d5) (+16,+12) (+3)
    +3 strength, wisdom, charisma.
    Slays undead, giants.
    Branded with flames.
    Provides resistance to fire, sound.
    Blessed by the gods.  Feather Falling.  Grants the ability to see
    invisible things. 

Combat info:
    3 blows/round.
    With an additional 4 strength and 0 dex you would get 4 blows
    Average damage/hit: 51.6 vs. undead, 51.6 vs. giants, 51.6 vs.
    creatures not resistant to fire, and 32 vs. others.

t) The Pike 'Til-i-arc' (3d5) (+10,+12) [+10] (+2)
    +2 strength, intelligence, speed.
    Slays demons, trolls, giants.
    Branded with flames, frost.
    Provides resistance to fire, cold.
    Sustains intelligence.
    Slows your metabolism. 

Combat info:
    3 blows/round.
    With an additional 7 strength and 0 dex you would get 4 blows
    Average damage/hit: 50.6 vs. demons, 50.6 vs. trolls, 50.6 vs.
    giants, 50.6 vs. creatures not resistant to fire, 50.6 vs.
    creatures not resistant to cold, and 31 vs. others.

u) The Flail 'Totila' (3d6) (+16,+12) (+2 stealth)
    +2 stealth, speed.
    Slays evil creatures.
    Branded with flames.
    Provides resistance to fire, confusion.

When aimed, it confuses a target monster.
    Takes 46 turns to recharge at your current speed.

Combat info:
    2 blows/round.
    With an additional 1 strength and 0 dex you would get 3 blows
    Average damage/hit: 43.1 vs. evil creatures, 54.6 vs. creatures
    not resistant to fire, and 31.7 vs. others.

v) The Mace 'Taratol' (3d4) (+12,+12)
    *Slays* dragons.
    Branded with lightning.
    Provides immunity to lightning.

When activated, it hastens you for d20+20 turns.
    Takes 313 to 620 turns to recharge at your current speed.

Combat info:
    2 blows/round.
    With an additional 3 strength and 0 dex you would get 3 blows
    Average damage/hit: 45.1 vs. creatures not resistant to
    electricity, 61.6 vs. dragons, and 28.6 vs. others.

w) a Long Bow of Lothlorien (x5) (+19,+14) (+2)
    +2 dexterity, shooting power.
    Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
    Prevents paralysis. 

Radius 1 light.
x) The Heavy Crossbow of Umbar (x7) (+18,+18) (+3)
    +3 strength, constitution, shooting power.
    Provides resistance to lightning, light, dark, blindness.
    Aggravates creatures nearby. 

When aimed, it fires a magical arrow with damage 150.
    Takes 65 to 124 turns to recharge at your current speed.
    Your chance of success is 92.4%

============================================================
                  CHAR.
|  TURN  | DEPTH |LEVEL| EVENT
============================================================
        1      0'    1  Began the quest to destroy Morgoth.
      3961    50'    2  Reached level 2
    22538    100'    3  Reached level 3
    41111    50'    4  Reached level 4
    65508    50'    5  Reached level 5
    93908    150'    6  Reached level 6
    100179    150'    6  Killed Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog
    101265    150'    7  Reached level 7
    112000    200'    8  Reached level 8
    116000    200'    9  Reached level 9
    124595    300'    9  Killed Fang, Farmer Maggot's dog
    131761    300'  10  Reached level 10
    144601    300'  11  Reached level 11
    153011    300'  12  Reached level 12
    179953    300'  12  Killed Bullroarer the Hobbit
    181584    350'  13  Reached level 13
    203885    350'  14  Reached level 14
    230354    450'  15  Reached level 15
    258047    500'  16  Reached level 16
    279877    550'  16  Killed Mughash the Kobold Lord
    310410    550'  17  Reached level 17
    322305    550'  17  Killed Orfax, Son of Boldor
    343460    650'  17  Killed Wormtongue, Agent of Saruman
    349586    650'  18  Reached level 18
    393200    700'  19  Reached level 19
    395200    700'  19  Killed Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief
    417518    750'  20  Reached level 20
    446264    800'  21  Reached level 21
    463444    850'  21  Found The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim'
    473003    850'  22  Reached level 22
    490975    850'  22  Killed Brodda, the Easterling
    496847    850'  22  Killed Ulfast, Son of Ulfang
    507606    850'  23  Reached level 23
    518941    900'  23  Killed Lagduf, the Snaga
    547379  1000'  24  Reached level 24
    549720  1000'  24  Killed Gorbag, the Orc Captain
    566988  1050'  25  Reached level 25
    575722  1050'  25  Killed Shagrat, the Orc Captain
    582549  1050'  25  Found The Metal Cap of Thengel (LOST)
    624400      0'  25  Killed Farmer Maggot
    633517  1100'  25  Killed Lugdush, the Uruk
    633517  1100'  26  Reached level 26
    696809  1350'  27  Reached level 27
    705920  1400'  27  Found The Lucerne Hammer 'Turmil'
    715494  1400'  27  Found The Flail 'Totila'
    762447  1600'  28  Reached level 28
    799067  1600'  28  Killed Nar, the Dwarf
    813799  1650'  28  Killed Ugluk, the Uruk
    815479  1650'  29  Reached level 29
    844915  1650'  29  Killed Bolg, Son of Azog
    877417  1650'  29  Killed Ufthak of Cirith Ungol
    915092  1700'  30  Reached level 30
    921183  1750'  30  Killed Bert the Stone Troll
    926360  1750'  30  Found The Leather Shield of Celegorm
    939828  1800'  30  Found The Pike 'Til-i-arc'
    974202  1800'  31  Reached level 31
  1014690  1800'  31  Killed Grishnakh, the Hill Orc
  1023662  1800'  31  Found The Phial of Galadriel
  1027121  1800'  31  Found The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach' (LOST)
  1034737  1800'  31  Found The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth'
  1046123  1850'  32  Reached level 32
  1047732  1850'  32  Found The Main Gauche of Azaghal
  1058858  1950'  32  Killed Boldor, King of the Yeeks
  1070417  1950'  32  Killed Ibun, Son of Mim
  1082292  2000'  32  Killed Ulwarth, Son of Ulfang
  1083675  2000'  32  Killed Angamaite of Umbar
  1083698  2000'  32  Found The Pair of Leather Boots of Wormtongue
  1099591  2100'  33  Reached level 33
  1104920  2100'  33  Killed Mim, Betrayer of Turin
  1111206  2100'  33  Found The Light Crossbow 'Cubragol'
  1125847  2150'  33  Killed Tom the Stone Troll
  1133970  2200'  33  Killed Beorn, the Shape-Changer
  1148805  2400'  34  Reached level 34
  1157464  2450'  34  Found The Mace 'Taratol'
  1159142  2450'  34  Found The Beaked Axe of Theoden
  1176981  2500'  34  Found The Soft Leather Armour 'Hithlomir'
  1182004  2550'  35  Reached level 35
  1192662  2600'  35  Killed Ren the Unclean
  1194925  2650'  36  Reached level 36
  1202536  2700'  36  Killed Itangast the Fire Drake
  1206806  2750'  36  Killed Sangahyando of Umbar
  1213111  2750'  37  Reached level 37
  1220633  2800'  37  Killed Waldern, King of Water
  1236418  2950'  38  Reached level 38
  1246037  2950'  38  Killed Lokkak, the Ogre Chieftain
  1246073  2950'  38  Killed Kavlax the Many-Headed
  1250022  2950'  38  Killed Scatha the Worm
  1250173  2950'  38  Found The Lochaber Axe 'Mundwine' (LOST)
  1250210  2950'  38  Found The Hard Leather Cap of Thranduil
  1260458  3000'  39  Reached level 39
  1261822  3000'  39  Killed Shelob, Spider of Darkness
  1268713  3000'  39  Killed Vargo, Tyrant of Fire
  1275177  3050'  39  Killed The Cat Lord
  1276976  3050'  39  Found The Halberd 'Osondir'
  1280202  3100'  39  Killed Azog, King of the Uruk-Hai
  1284402  3150'  40  Reached level 40
  1289102  3150'  40  Found The Set of Gauntlets 'Pauraegen' (LOST)
  1291129  3200'  40  Killed Harowen the Black Hand
  1321816  3350'  40  Killed Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings
  1321844  3350'  40  Found The Heavy Crossbow of Umbar
  1330413  3400'  41  Reached level 41
  1343991  3400'  41  Found The Rapier 'Careth Asdriag'
  1344617  3400'  41  Found The Steel Helm of Hammerhand
  1345408  3400'  41  Killed The Balrog of Moria
  1345525  3400'  41  Killed Khim, Son of Mim

[Options]

Maximize effect of race/class bonuses        : yes (adult_maximize)
Randomize some of the artifacts (beta)      : no  (adult_randarts)
Restrict the use of stairs/recall            : no  (adult_ironman)
Restrict the use of stores/home              : no  (adult_no_stores)
Restrict creation of artifacts              : no  (adult_no_artifacts)
Don't stack objects on the floor            : no  (adult_no_stacking)
Lose artifacts when leaving level            : no  (adult_no_preserve)
Don't generate connected stairs              : no  (adult_no_stairs)
Adult: Monsters chase current location      : yes (adult_ai_sound)
Adult: Monsters chase recent locations      : yes (adult_ai_smell)
Adult: Monsters act smarter in groups        : yes (adult_ai_packs)
Adult: Monsters learn from their mistakes    : no  (adult_ai_learn)
Adult: Monsters exploit players weaknesses  : no  (adult_ai_cheat)
Adult: Monsters behave more intelligently (broken): no  (adult_ai_smart)
Score: Peek into object creation            : no  (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation            : no  (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation            : no  (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else              : no  (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info            : no  (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death          : no  (score_live)

Derakon March 12, 2011 20:09

Hithlomir probably would have saved your life there. Azriel does 550 damage when at full health if you don't resist nether. The max damage he can do if you do resist is 471, but the resistance is random, so you had decent odds of taking even less.

Timo Pietilä March 12, 2011 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulrichvonbek (Post 49656)
I'm trying to figure out what I should have done differently? I had just killed an Ancient Green, and I had the GDSM on for that. I saw Azriel coming, and I was planning on teleporting him away, but he had other ideas. Would wearing Hithlomir have made a difference? I was at something like -123 after he breathed on me.

Maybe, maybe not. Worst case (one out of six) you would still be dead with -44 points. Or you would have with +15 or more up to +152 points left in 5/6 cases. I hope you were hasted, because you would not have survived double nether breath even with best case.

buzzkill March 12, 2011 20:15

Does this qualify as insta-death??? NPP. I ate an un-ID'd mushroom (of blindness + poison). 50 turns later I was dead.

I'd like to imagine it was a slow painful death, but until the very end she was unconcerned, certain that it would wear off soon. In retrospect it was probably more like a little numbness in the arm, followed by a massive stroke.

Deadly poison? Who knew?

EpicMan March 13, 2011 05:17

With rSound no longer having rStun it is merely rStunFromSoundBreaths. High resists are unreliable damage reducers at best. If we are decoupling the status effects from the elemental resistances (which makes more a more intuitive system and that is good IMHO) it makes the high resists all pretty much worthless as they can't be relied on to reduce damage by a meaningful amount.

Let's just make resistances cut damage to 1/3 regardless of whether it's a low or high or whatever element.

Timo Pietilä March 13, 2011 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicMan (Post 49683)
With rSound no longer having rStun it is merely rStunFromSoundBreaths. High resists are unreliable damage reducers at best. If we are decoupling the status effects from the elemental resistances (which makes more a more intuitive system and that is good IMHO) it makes the high resists all pretty much worthless as they can't be relied on to reduce damage by a meaningful amount.

Let's just make resistances cut damage to 1/3 regardless of whether it's a low or high or whatever element.

Only confusion and sound has been affected by this change. Everything else already did only protect from their own source (except chaos which still protects against hallucination against all sources I think).

I think 1/3 is too much. Having resist would render high element completely harmless then. More like make it fixed 5/6 or 3/4 or so. I'd prefer same insecurity I had before. I never trusted high elements before and used them only to prevent effects. I still would use confusion to prevent confusion and dark & light against blindness if I don't have real blindness resist. Stunning is not that common, plasma, gravity, impact maybe water caused it, so impact to gameplay is quite small.

Raxmei March 13, 2011 21:34

Once again mistook Gorlim for a novice ranger and got double mana bolted.

Timo Pietilä March 13, 2011 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raxmei (Post 49694)
Once again mistook Gorlim for a novice ranger and got double mana bolted.

Gorlim has different color. It should be easy to distinguish from everything else.

Raxmei March 14, 2011 04:27

Blue slate and light slate are similar enough not to be obvious outside a side by side comparison, and least with my eyes and display. Anyway I've customized his color since then because for me it was a recurring problem.

ChodTheWacko May 26, 2011 02:40

I use detect monster pretty frequently, so It was pretty stunning to kill a room of stuff, be at full health, take one step and *boom*

Breathed on by Tarrasque.

Getting instadeathed down to -1 hit points has to be the most annoying thing ever.

- Frank

Timo Pietilä May 26, 2011 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko (Post 53371)
I use detect monster pretty frequently, so It was pretty stunning to kill a room of stuff, be at full health, take one step and *boom*

Breathed on by Tarrasque.

Getting instadeathed down to -1 hit points has to be the most annoying thing ever.

- Frank

I'm not sure. Forgetting to wear FA in CGV fighting Dracolisk after nearly emptied said CGV and almost all of your gear upgraded might count even worse.

I think it was Pete who died to "orc leader, the orange "c"". Hilarious to rest of us, must have been rather irritating to him.

Raxmei July 9, 2011 23:13

Just had my first real instadeath in a long time. Adventuring on dlvl 30-something, turned a corner and got a double poison breath from a basilisk. First breath took me down to 45 hp, next one down to -170.

dos350 July 28, 2011 13:56

i was instakilled by a kobold shaman i couldnt see my first move after entering dlvl 3 on a dwarf priest, just now!

Napsterbater July 29, 2011 03:10

Not too long ago I hit the button to run down a long passageway, as a rogue, had done dvis right before hand. It was the last button I pressed. The passageway was longer than my detection range and I was instakilled by a hellhound.

Dughfo July 29, 2011 04:25

Not too long ago I learned in a very surprising way that the Lernean Hydra breaths poison. One minute wandering around, the next, tombstone.

Gockel August 8, 2011 00:04

the gates of heaven...

not a real instadeath but i still pretty nasty.
just started another game. warrior. first thing i see is maggot. drops an excellent main gauche (+3+5). perfect start.
i "dive". on dlvl 5 (?) i stay a bit because there's supposed to be something worthwhile.
i hit a trap door and crash into the ground of dlvl6. ouch...
a gang of snagas a few squares north of me. thanks god i'm very soft so i didn't make a sound when hit the ground. snagas are snoring happily. no problem, i'll just find a corridor to fight them one by one. i go south east, but there's only walls. no problem, let's try south west. only walls...
damn, a hiccough. snagas woke up. they're pissed. understandably. probably they were dreaming of a dark wet cave, only wake up in a dark wet cave. must be pretty annoying. they're coming uncomfortably close.
anyway, no problem, i have 12 scrolls of phase door, so let's just phase out of the room or find the exit.
i phase. north east corner. no exit. must be north west then. snagas are here. phase. south wall. blabla. after 4-5 phases i finally make it to the last, north west corner. no exit. damn. a small 8x8 room without exit...
still, with a bit of luck i'll find the darn secret door or one of the stupid phase door scrolls could be kind enough to simply get me out of here?
i search a bit and phase. search and phase. with my 3rd to last scroll i end up next to the south wall. and *pop*! a DOOR! how beautiful! let's walk out of this madhouse and KILL them snagas one by one!
-the door appears to be stuck-
and surprisingly enough the last two phases didn't get me out of the room either...

Narvius August 8, 2011 08:09

The Phoenix breathed me for 400 damage.
I had 398 max HP. -.-"

lotuseater August 26, 2011 05:12

Human Warrior @ ~1900' double moved by an eye druj who was way out of depth in a small vault. Had over 600hp, stepped into its line of sight and took a nether bolt in the chops and a couple more fancy magics and I was dead. It was a little shocking actually.

Been playing since the early 90's when I downloaded Angband off of a BBS somewhere.

Love the game, keep up the good work everyone.

edit'd for spelling

Jungle_Boy August 27, 2011 15:29

Smeagol sitting next to Tarrasque, sneak in kill smeagol, Tarrasque wakes up and double breathes me. 1k+ hp to dead in one turn.

Magnate August 29, 2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy (Post 59216)
Smeagol sitting next to Tarrasque, sneak in kill smeagol, Tarrasque wakes up and double breathes me. 1k+ hp to dead in one turn.

I love this thread. That's the third or fourth LOL it's given me.

Thanks Jungle Boy - that's a great story.

Jungle_Boy August 30, 2011 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 59276)
I love this thread. That's the third or fourth LOL it's given me.

Thanks Jungle Boy - that's a great story.

BTW this was on lvl 98 with an almost end game character, just needed some speed...

UglySquirrell August 30, 2011 03:42

Kobold warrior, clvl 42 dlvl 70 playing randart ironman. Found an axe that did 780 damage to evil and was branded with acid/fire, had killed all the uniques I saw, +20 speed, and all resists but nether. Was fighting angel of fire, going fine till I got the it breathes nether "you die" message. 600 +HP to dead, Well now I know who the big nether breather is :)

Timo Pietilä August 30, 2011 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by UglySquirrell (Post 59296)
Kobold warrior, clvl 42 dlvl 70 playing randart ironman. Found an axe that did 780 damage to evil and was branded with acid/fire, had killed all the uniques I saw, +20 speed, and all resists but nether. Was fighting angel of fire, going fine till I got the it breathes nether "you die" message. 600 +HP to dead, Well now I know who the big nether breather is :)

Nether has damage cap of 550. Uriel doesn't breathe nether, so I assume Azriel got summoned to join the fight at some point and they both did damage to you at same round.

UglySquirrell August 30, 2011 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä (Post 59301)
Nether has damage cap of 550. Uriel doesn't breathe nether, so I assume Azriel got summoned to join the fight at some point and they both did damage to you at same round.

Oh, ill make sure I choose a better place to fight next time, no room for friends popping in thx for the info :D

Starhawk August 30, 2011 16:42

Dunedain rogue with >1000hp, 600dps in melee and fully kitted with artifacts.

Had Sauron dead, and was scumming DL 98-99 for consumables to take on Morgoth.

I had a powerful Q phase away, summon a huge pack of monsters around itself, and then teleport me into the middle of everything. After the teleport-to, the rest of the monsters all breathed me to death before I could move. I'm not sure how that happened since I had +25 speed, but I assume that I just got really unlucky with the turn order.

Also, UGH. So much work down the drain.

Derakon August 30, 2011 16:49

At +25 speed, there's no way even an aggravated quylthulg could have triple-moved you, let alone his summons gone before you did. So something must have happened in the interim. Still, unfortunate.

UglySquirrell August 30, 2011 19:56

Had to post my funniest one. Just found a really nice dagger of Gondolin on my kobold rogue think it was on dlvl 45 clvl 32. Then the blind W dropped an amazing artifact black dsm with all but 3 resists covered. I promptly walked up to a great crystal drake, bopped him on the nose with my dagger, and he ate me :p

Max Stats August 30, 2011 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by UglySquirrell (Post 59333)
Had to post my funniest one. Just found a really nice dagger of Gondolin on my kobold rogue think it was on dlvl 45 clvl 32. Then the blind W dropped an amazing artifact black dsm with all but 3 resists covered. I promptly walked up to a great crystal drake, bopped him on the nose with my dagger, and he ate me :p

So can I take a guess what one of your uncovered resists was?

UglySquirrell August 30, 2011 20:39

Was missing sleep resist :) should of had a coffee. Still it made me laugh when I got mauled, think I saw drake and thought "Oh its just a little dragon".

lotuseater September 8, 2011 03:04

Level 33 HE Ranger
2000' (probably too deep, gotta love hind sight)
465HP max

> Something retches.
> You are hit by poison!
> You die.

My only poison resistance was spell based and obviously ran out before I took this in the grill. There was a fancy zoo with a bunch of things I probably should have run from but I was sneaking back when something I couldn't see hit me from a long way off.

I played this guy quickly though and thoroughly enjoyed him.

fruviad September 12, 2011 15:06

My instadeath this weekend was entirely unexpected.

My system started acting flaky, so I decided that maybe a shutdown was in order. (OOo has been weird of late.) I shut down Angband and a few other apps, and then decided that this didn't seem like a normal OOo flake-out. Investigated further and found that a recent download had reduced my system to 0% free drive space.

Freed up disk space, reopened Angband, and it complained that the savefile was corrupt. Looked at the savefile and saw it was a zero-byte file. Doh!!!

"The digital hound breathes. You die."

Magnate September 12, 2011 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruviad (Post 59875)
My instadeath this weekend was entirely unexpected.

My system started acting flaky, so I decided that maybe a shutdown was in order. (OOo has been weird of late.) I shut down Angband and a few other apps, and then decided that this didn't seem like a normal OOo flake-out. Investigated further and found that a recent download had reduced my system to 0% free drive space.

Freed up disk space, reopened Angband, and it complained that the savefile was corrupt. Looked at the savefile and saw it was a zero-byte file. Doh!!!

"The digital hound breathes. You die."

This is why I really don't like the "gruesome software bug" monster (from O and its descendents). Not only does it ruin the fantasy setting, it also used to make me worry that there was actually something wrong with my computer ...

UglySquirrell September 28, 2011 05:48

Barney the dinosaur sings "you feel, less intelligent"
Barney the dinosaur dances "you feel, more naive"
Barney the dinasaur breathes toxic waste "you die"

Not the most recent, but one of my favorite's.

buzzkill September 28, 2011 12:46

I can recollect watching a lot of, in retrospect, bad TV shows when I was a kid, but I can still look back upon those stupid shows and smile.

Does anyone have fond childhood memories of Barney? Don't think so.

Therem Harth May 26, 2013 17:18

Double nether breath from Azriel. It was in debug mode, but still... ouch.

Pete Mack May 26, 2013 18:20

Paralyzed by ghouls -- was attempting a "labyrinth" quest (first time ever) in NPP, and ?phased immediately adjacent one of them. Lesson: no labyrinth levels without Free Action and a ton of supplies.

Vertigo1 May 27, 2013 05:17

my human ranger just died testing scrolls on stairs.
got tele and got put straight into a room with about 30 blue elec hounds who ended the game instantly :<

Vertigo1 May 29, 2013 04:17

second instadeath in a row, BLARG

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2z8zqdh.jpg

Thraalbee May 29, 2013 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo1 (Post 80786)
second instadeath in a row, BLARG
... [trap summoning Scatha]..

That's a tough one. My last interesting instadeath was in NPP (I believe) where I managed to identify a potion of death. Never saw one before, they don't appear in Vanilla. I kept it for a while and then decided to throw it on a monster in the adjacent square in a fight going badly. It sort of worked, the monster died but unfortunately my character died too.

debo May 30, 2013 03:27

My favorite instadeath ever was the first time I played Quickband. I decided to play a mage (again, for the first time ever), thinking I'd try something really new. I think this was a competition character, too.

I bought some gear, went downstairs, took one brave step into DL1... and fell through a false floor... and died from the fall damage :)

donalde May 30, 2013 09:22

My last sort of instadeath was when my hT Mage teleported away from pack of demons + black reaver (holing the walls)... I landed on room in next to pack of plasma hounds: "plasma hound breathes hellfire -more- you are stunned -more- plasma hound breathes hellfire -more- you are more stunned -more- plasma hound breathes hellfire -more- you are knocked out!" .. and after that there was just pressing -more- until I looked tombstone... All they did was breathe on char, keeping it knocked out. It was huge pack, 20+ plasma hounds. :(

Narvius May 30, 2013 19:55

State: +10 Speed from being hasted. Single, temporary rPoison. Around 300 HP. 18/*** Intelligence, and capable of casting spells like Teleport Level or Teleport Other at 0% fail.

So what happened?

I stepped into the field of vision of a single Bile Demon, being confident that I could survive one breath (800 / 3 => 233, which is less than 300) and then teleport it away...

You no longer feel resistant to poison.
The Bile Demon breathes poison.
You die.

Murphy's Law at its finest.