Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting levels (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7138)

Angrist January 11, 2015 10:59

Getting levels

What is your way of getting new levels? In the beginning, middle, end of the game.
In the beginning I just kill all the monsters encountered on my way. If I'm lucky - I live up to 30th level, where kill all the dragons in a row. Then I kill packs of Vrock's etc.
. And then, after 40 cLvl begin the difficulty of obtaining a new level.

Tibarius January 11, 2015 19:22

making xp

It depends on what class i Play. My mages cannot wade through everything they Encounter, specially in the low Levels. The 1st and 2nd Level is carefully choosing simple Targets to get at least 5-6 SP. After that i can pick on harder Targets that give good xp for that Level, mostly 'R's and 'F's. Then Comes frost bolt at char-level 7 ... that brings my mages usually to around Level 25 always picking single Targets and always ready to flee. Then i seek Young Dragons and mature Dragons up to Level 30/35. My last chars didn't last much longer :)

My half-orc melee ranger just killed everything he saw until char-level 30 and dung-Level 40 or so. Then a great Crystal Drake breathed two times in a row ... even tho i was fast(+6) already. Was wondering if the Drake usually moves quickly.

Ingwe Ingweron January 11, 2015 19:27

It really depends on the class/race and equipment at the time. Also on whether I'm focused on turncount. Generally, I scum DL1 until I kill Maggot, then begin to descend as fast as I'm able, which as I said really depends. I kill what I think will give drops, or what I must, or what I'm able. Level progression just comes as a natural side-effect. I don't think I focus on "leveling-up" so much until I'm all the way to DL98. At that point I evaluate whether I need more to take on the bosses or whether I can go after them straight away.

Derakon January 11, 2015 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibarius (Post 98047)
My half-orc melee ranger just killed everything he saw until char-level 30 and dung-Level 40 or so. Then a great Crystal Drake breathed two times in a row ... even tho i was fast(+6) already. Was wondering if the Drake usually moves quickly.

Great Crystal Drakes, like all 'D' enemies, move quickly, so they can absolutetly double-turn you. Unfortunate that he chose to breathe twice in a row though.

Tibarius January 12, 2015 07:40

must have been the curse

Must have been that damned cursed crown. I saw the big D pushing his way through all the smaller Monsters around several corners from a quite far spot. So maybe he was aggragated - by this cursed crown. There was plenty of time to flee, and if my Monster Memory about the D not have been blank i probably would have choose to do so ... now i know (and will remember) that Ds are quick :)

Sose January 12, 2015 07:58

I like to play risky and dive fast in the beginning, that way it won't feel so boring. Of course that's hard to do on a mage for example. Later I try to focus on loot: vaults, uniques and dragons and let levels just come as a side effect.

Although I do of course go for juicy exp-only monsters aswell. Mumakil are one, come in packs, melee only and give like 2k exp a pop. Early U packs too, like VRocks that were mentioned already.

Khuzdul January 13, 2015 09:26

Early Game: Get a explosive breeder in a secure room with a door, and farm them. Close and heal when you need to.

Middle Game: Something out of your comfort zone that doesn't come in packs. Ancient Dragons or Wyrms are ideal, but a Balrog or another hard dlvl 50ish monster will do.

Late Game: Whatever comes. JUST KILL EVERYTHING. If you butcher everything you see, hard and easy, levels will come surprisingly easily. Also, POTIONS OF EXPERIENCE! I know that they are not very reliable or renewable, but whenever you can get one GET IT.

Hope it helps.