Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Angband on the Nintendo DS (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1330)

Immir January 19, 2009 12:02

Angband on the Nintendo DS

This picture hopefully says it all:

http://immir.com/nds/img/dsi.png

Well, perhaps I can add a little more...

I've started a page for releases of various versions of Angband on the DS:

http://immir.com/nds

On this page you will find an initial port of 3.1.0beta to the DS, including the current competition character installed as the save game. This is early days, but it's playable (my Elen is currently level 28 and diving).

As usual, thanks go to lots of people other than myself; Andi and Nick in particular...

Comments / suggestions / complaints to this thread, which I'll try and keep track of.

Cheers,
Immir

(um, Michael)
[AKA Nick's silent partner]

tigpup January 19, 2009 12:23

This looks pretty good. Hope to d/l and give it a try later this week.

Kudos for the effort so far.

-Neil.

Dragonboneman January 19, 2009 13:37

Wow. That R4 I ordered yesterday has paid for itself already. Thanks so much for doing this!

Nick January 19, 2009 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immir (Post 13921)
As usual, thanks go to lots of people other than myself; Andi and Nick in particular...

Everyone has a talent. Mine just happens to be taking other people's spare time.

Donald Jonker January 19, 2009 20:10

Awesome stuff, as expected. I especially like what you've done with the upper screen, splitting it into multiple parts - I was about to file a feature request for something like that for the faangaband DS port. The ability to go into the =options menu through the 'enter' command menu is also very nice.

A couple of issues that you probably already know about:

1. The contextual buttons from character generation stick around after the game starts.
2. When the game is exited/ended, the program hangs instead of turning off the DS, which is a little unnerving.
3. Hitting the @ executes the "rest" command. Resting is a common enough activity that I think it deserves a permanent button, especially given how difficult it is to hit the @ in regular play.
4. Other obvious stuff from the faangband port like the appearance of context-specific buttons (">" when you're over a staircase, &c).

Anyway, great work, and I'll provide more feedback as I continue to play. Make sure to keep posting as you update! Cheers.

edited for content.

Immir January 20, 2009 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Jonker (Post 13938)
1. The contextual buttons from character generation stick around after the game starts.
2. When the game is exited/ended, the program hangs instead of turning off the DS, which is a little unnerving.
3. Hitting the @ executes the "rest" command. Resting is a common enough activity that I think it deserves a permanent button, especially given how difficult it is to hit the @ in regular play.
4. Other obvious stuff from the faangband port like the appearance of context-specific buttons (">" when you're over a staircase, &c).

Thanks for the feedback Donald. Yes, aware of all that.

1. Just fixed (update soon).

2. Shows that end-game is treated differently in vanilla vs fa (like start game was, took me while to figure that change out).

4. I'm just starting to look at (basically, whatever is bugging me most whilst playing gets worked on...),

3. I've tried to make configuring controls as easy as possible --- just go L+R then double click a button to edit it --- if you want rest bound to L+A just enter "R\r" or "R&\r" or something... I do this all the time while playing (say, when I run out of id scrolls and need to switch to staffs, I just remap my "id-" key from "r0-a" to "u0-a").

I'll add a section of issues that I'm aware of to my page. Notably: lots of places information displayed out of bounds of small width screen. I've sort of fixed the menu-driven stuff, but it's not used everywhere (yet). Probably need to copy lots of mods from FA/O...

Cheers,
immir.

Immir January 20, 2009 05:58

Quick note to self; sort out character dump when dying... my comp character bit the dust at char level 29 dungeon level 31, but sadly no dump [lucky finding Nimthanc on floor dlvl 7, then Cambeleg dropped shortly thereafter... sigh].

Update: Okay, this is more serious than I thought. On dying, the program stops updating the main term (to show the tomb, etc) but debug statements are still working... this might take a while. *sigh*

Dragonboneman January 20, 2009 19:28

At risk of looking like a complete halfwit (I only got my R4 version 2 today!) I tried running this but only got a pair of black screens.
What am I doing wrong?

Donald Jonker January 20, 2009 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonboneman (Post 14004)
At risk of looking like a complete halfwit (I only got my R4 version 2 today!) I tried running this but only got a pair of black screens.
What am I doing wrong?

Don't know about R4's but this site has manual patching for them... That's where I got my patcher for my POS DS cart (not an R4), and it works. Might want to check around with people who actually know their business about that kinda thing first, though.

Dragonboneman January 20, 2009 20:48

Did the thing with the Win32 GUI patcher and R4-specific patch, got the "Patch successful" message, no joy though.
The same thing happens with Doom DS, though I have got the Tetris Attack clone running.

Donald Jonker January 20, 2009 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonboneman (Post 14014)
Did the thing with the Win32 GUI patcher and R4-specific patch, got the "Patch successful" message, no joy though.
The same thing happens with Doom DS, though I have got the Tetris Attack clone running.

A lot of things have to go right for these things to work... took me forever, at least. I'd suggest giving a shot at the other DS roguelikes: nethack, POWDER, faangband, I think there's one for rogue as well, emulation, &c, and see what works.. as well as R4 sites and stuff. Individual games will have people whining on their forums about specific cards not working and people troubleshooting, and that's how I eventually got mine working. Nick will probably come around with ideas as well.

Dragonboneman January 20, 2009 21:11

Thanks Donald. I had no idea DS homebrew was so finicky. However, I have managed to get C64 emulation working, so have Wizball and the like to tide me over til I get my head round this. ;)

Nick January 20, 2009 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonboneman (Post 14004)
What am I doing wrong?

I don't think I have a good answer, I'm afraid. It does look like it's a patching issue. You could try a different patching tool, maybe. Sorry I haven't any better ideas.

Dragonboneman January 20, 2009 21:30

Idiotic question - how long should this version of Angband take to load?

Donald Jonker January 20, 2009 21:44

Around 5 seconds on my cart.

Dragonboneman January 20, 2009 21:59

Well, that's not it then. ;)

Immir January 21, 2009 05:54

New version (2.65)

Hi all.

I've updated the page. End game now allows dumping char etc, a bit too late for my comp char :-(

--- this took quite some effort to track down (stack overflows usually do). So only minor additional changes for the moment...

Dragon Bone Man: I've added 4 different additional DLDI patched programs for R4 cards in general. If you are feeling adventurous enough, you might find one of these works for you --- in which case let me know which one and include precise details of your card (product name, revision number, production date, everything you can find), and I'll make sure I produce similar patched versions in future.

Cheers,
Michael.. err, Immir.

Dragonboneman January 21, 2009 14:15

Michael/Immir,

I have tried all four of the patched versions, but haven't been able to start any of them. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about my R4. It says on the back of the box that it supports DLDI auto-patching and the firmware it is running os Moonshine(is that the right name?) 1.18. But the product itself is unlabeled. The storage is a 2 gig Kingston Micro SD card and appears to be working perfectly.
As I pointed out I am extremely new to DS homebrew so the problem could well be user error.

I have downloaded all the NDS files you put up, put them in Angband's NDS folder, and tried loading each one in turn. I have also tried running them from the Angband folder (I remember some GP2X stuff being fussy about directories.
Do I need to have everything on the root of the card?

Nick January 21, 2009 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonboneman (Post 14069)
Moonshine(is that the right name?)

Moonshell?

Quote:

I have downloaded all the NDS files you put up, put them in Angband's NDS folder, and tried loading each one in turn. I have also tried running them from the Angband folder (I remember some GP2X stuff being fussy about directories.
Do I need to have everything on the root of the card?
You have angband.nds, and angband (which is a directory). angband needs to be at the root of the card. angband.nds can I think be anywhere; I'v never tried it within angband, though.

Donald Jonker January 21, 2009 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 14097)
angband.nds can I think be anywhere; I'v never tried it within angband, though.

On my system, angband.ds it has to be at the root of the card, outside the angband folder.

Dragonboneman January 21, 2009 20:53

It worked! :)

The directory structure on my card was indeed to blame. Moving the Angband directory to the root sorted it out. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Pete Mack January 24, 2009 02:11

Shouldn't this go on the "news" page?

Nick January 24, 2009 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 14234)
Shouldn't this go on the "news" page?

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I've submitted a news item now.

Donald Jonker January 24, 2009 15:30

Feature request:

When browsing inventory and other menus that you can scroll with the d-pad, have d-pad-right act as [return] and d-pad-left act as [esc] as in faangband port. Makes things run incredibly smoothly.

Immir January 25, 2009 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Jonker (Post 14245)
Feature request:

When browsing inventory and other menus that you can scroll with the d-pad, have d-pad-right act as [return] and d-pad-left act as [esc] as in faangband port. Makes things run incredibly smoothly.

Good idea. Will do...

Note, I'm in the middle of transitioning the code to the latest devkitpro and libnds, which turns out to be quite a non-trivial process (but ultimately worth the effort). This'll take a little while, so don't hold your breath for an update for a week or so. [good opportunity to refactor the codebase... again...]

Michael.

Orillian January 25, 2009 19:54

Well would you look at that. :)

See what happens when a person is away for a while, I come back to Angband after about 6 months hiatus, we have a new 3.1 version and a wonderful DS port all at the same time! Woot for me.

Keep up the great work This will definitely waste many hours of work time for me! :)

Note: I have an original R4DS and a SuperCard DS1, I'll give the port a try on both a let you know what happens.

O.

Donald Jonker January 25, 2009 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orillian (Post 14279)
Note: I have an original R4DS and a SuperCard DS1, I'll give the port a try on both a let you know what happens.

To that end, Michael, it may not be a bad idea to compile a list on your site of DS carts which are guaranteed to successfully run *bands on the DS. It would probably be useful for people who get these things for the express purpose of DS banding, which I'm guessing will be more than a few.

For my part, I use a Datel Max Media Dock.

MrCba January 28, 2009 15:41

Hello,
I tried your game on a supercard ds one it works well.

I ve got some suggestion to make :
  • When, I start a new game, I can't see my character stats during rolling phase. It is the blue square, that hide this stats. Perhaps putting this square on the bottom on the screen or having the possibility to scroll
  • I ve got some problem with scrolling. I wish I could scroll using the stylus but I can't. It would be interested when zoom is activated. (Perhaps I miss how to do it)
  • Keyboard seems not very sensitive some times. For example, when starting a game, when I am witting my name.
  • And a tools to send your character to angband.ook.cz's ladder :D

But, It is a great Job. Bravo ! :)

Nolendil January 29, 2009 20:42

Awesome, just what I needed. Thanks a lot!
No problem to run it on my R4DS.

chunter February 2, 2009 18:22

small issue with screen switching

1 Attachment(s)
Great work with the ds port Immir.

Got a small issue with the screen switching. What happens is the bottom screen (map) goes to the top, and the bottom goes all strange and then back again every 3 seconds. Attached a photo to give an example.

Look forward to future updates :)
(Using a R4 DS card v1.18. And it is a DS Lite)

Thanks Christiaan

Serith February 9, 2009 00:49

I'm glad to see another roguelike on the DS. It looks great so far, the only problem I have is that I have the same problem as chunter. The screens switch as if I had pressed the L-trigger, automatically, every few seconds. The card I am using is the DSTT, and I have seen the problem occur on two separate DS lites, and one original DS.

Immir February 9, 2009 07:46

Oops, sorry a devel version snuck onto the site without me realising. I've turned off the periodic swap screen (long story...). Should be good to go again. Working on improving interface now...

Immir.

Orillian February 10, 2009 03:28

Well, finally had some time to play over the weekend and I tested it on both my cards and as mentioned earlier it does work properly on both the SCDS1 and the R4DS. :) I'm looking forward to all your interface work, it's really hard to roll characters atm without knowing what their stats are, I played a Half-Troll Mage yesterday just for fun who had a max int of 14. :P that was fun!

O.

Immir February 10, 2009 12:48

I find that once the savefile/prefs have the compact stats displayed in the top pane, the roller changes are reflected up there. Your mileage may vary?

Donald Jonker February 11, 2009 05:37

I'm running into a bug in the most recent version up - 2.68: the main screen goes white at odd intervals. First the splash screen at startup, then the space between the user and preconfigured buttons. Then whenever L is held down the whole map goes white - it fills back in normally according to whatever's in the @'s LOS, or if you do a screen refresh.

brent February 14, 2009 06:03

Thanks for the great port.

You mentioned in your noted that some of the screens weren't formatted for non wide screens yet, so you're probably already aware but I thought I should make a post anyway.

The Equipment screen (e) is mostly cut off and unreadable.

Looking forward to the next version and thanks again.

Nolendil May 22, 2009 16:14

Any news about this wondeful project?

modisch December 2, 2009 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolendil (Post 19367)
Any news about this wondeful project?

^^^^

What he said.

-m

AngelicPenguin April 16, 2010 20:25

Anybody playing this? How do you get around the equipment screen being cut off?

Also, what's the "Y" button for? It does the command "y" which I don't know does anything in Angband. I remapped it to Ctrl I since that seemed handy, but I thought maybe I was missing something.

AngelicPenguin April 27, 2010 20:28

Is the maintainer of this still around? If not, I'm a programmer and wouldn't mind giving a shot to fixing some of the screens that are too wide if I could get the source.

Nick April 27, 2010 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicPenguin (Post 32830)
Is the maintainer of this still around? If not, I'm a programmer and wouldn't mind giving a shot to fixing some of the screens that are too wide if I could get the source.

By all means make any improvements you like. The maintainer's schedule is a little, um, variable - I don't know if he'll be back around to this any time soon.

AngelicPenguin April 28, 2010 00:30

Ahh - any idea where I can get the source?

Pete Mack April 28, 2010 04:57

The source is included as part of the angband src.
http://trac.rephial.org/browser/trunk/src/nds

in trac. You will probably want an svn enlistment.

timolien May 4, 2010 10:22

Compiling for NDS

I attempted to compile an NDS build, but get stuck on the fact that the current NDS code requires old (no longer available) libnds version (everything from 1.4.0 upwards does no longer compile because the IPC struct is no longer supported in 1.4.x).
Sadly older versions 1.3.X are no longer downloadable.

Does anyone still have libnds 1.3.x (and possibly other required components to go together with old libnds version like older devkitpro : I don't know whether I can just drop in an old libnds into a recent devkitpro) ?

Updated NDS code which actually compiles with libnds 1.4.x would offcourse even be better.

Please let me know : I can download it or provide a place to upload to if necessary.

Regards,

Gert

Nick May 4, 2010 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by timolien (Post 33105)
Does anyone still have libnds 1.3.x (and possibly other required components to go together with old libnds version like older devkitpro : I don't know whether I can just drop in an old libnds into a recent devkitpro) ?

The original versions of everything I downloaded for DS development about 3 years ago (some of which is unnecessary) are now available from the FA extra downloads page. The libnds archive has an extra copy of libfat-nds in it that accidentally got put in during an argument between VMWare Fusion and Nautilus, but that can be ignored.

timolien May 4, 2010 13:43

Missing a file

Thanks very much for the files.

The devkit itself is not downloadable :

"The requested URL /faangband/devkitARM_r23-1686-linux.tar.bz2 was not found on this server"

Could you still provide it ? Or is it not necessary and will the latest version do ?

Regards,

Gert

Nick May 4, 2010 14:22

Sorry, bad link. Should work now.

SaThaRiel May 4, 2010 17:53

Sorry for being a bit off-topic here. Im planning to buy myself an ebook reader (looks like it will be a PocketBook 302). Natively its running linux. So i was thinking if its a good idea porting angband to such devices? Actually it has a touch screen with possible support for character input. Well, you wont have colors but who needs them anyway? ;)

Everyone ever though about it?

Foehammer June 16, 2010 16:14

Back On Topic...

...I downloaded this for the DS, and apart from lines being cut off, my main gripe is the difficulty of configuring buttons.

I've tired using the 'in-game' button configuration, but there seems to be bugs where buttons disappear and/or end up moving to the lower left corner of the config screen and becoming inactive.

In an effort to try to side-step this, I've been editing (in notepad) the buttons.DEF, DEFa, DEF~, but running into problems as I don't quite appreciate how these files are set up.

It seems clear enough that the user-defined buttons, and the keys on the DS are referenced, along with screen co-ordinates, names, and functions. I'm struggling to understand i) how the game knows when the name of a button ends and the functionality of a button begins, and ii) how these three files relate to one another and the game.

If anyone can help me with some more info on this it would be really appreciated. I'm not much of a programmer, but fairly technically able, so if there is some way to poke around with the files to avoid the good-but-buggy UI that would be a great help.

Best,

Mark

ArgentStar June 28, 2010 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunter (Post 14766)
Great work with the ds port Immir.

Got a small issue with the screen switching. What happens is the bottom screen (map) goes to the top, and the bottom goes all strange and then back again every 3 seconds. Attached a photo to give an example.

Look forward to future updates :)
(Using a R4 DS card v1.18. And it is a DS Lite)

Thanks Christiaan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serith (Post 15171)
I'm glad to see another roguelike on the DS. It looks great so far, the only problem I have is that I have the same problem as chunter. The screens switch as if I had pressed the L-trigger, automatically, every few seconds. The card I am using is the DSTT, and I have seen the problem occur on two separate DS lites, and one original DS.

I'm having the same problem as these two. I've downloaded the latest release from FileTrip, but the screen keeps shifting as described above roughly every 2-3 seconds. Which unfortunately makes it unplayable.

I'm using a DSi XL (in the UK) and a DSTWO card with a 2GB MicroSD. Any idea what I could do to fix this? I've tried the backup>format>restore route a couple of times with no luck. I loved playing Angband on the PC and was ecstatic when I found out it was ported to the DS. :) I've got the NetHack port working fine, but I'd reallyl ike to give this a try if possible.

Many thanks. :)

moosferatu February 21, 2020 01:02

I saw someone was making updates to the NDS build as recently as last October. Is it currently in a working state?

I compiled it and tried to run it on my system but it fails when it tries to load the kbd.bin (yes, I have the /angband/nds directory in place).

Nick February 21, 2020 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosferatu (Post 143144)
I saw someone was making updates to the NDS build as recently as last October. Is it currently in a working state?

I compiled it and tried to run it on my system but it fails when it tries to load the kbd.bin (yes, I have the /angband/nds directory in place).

It is not functional. In case you haven't seen it, here is the pull request that resulted in the recent changes, with some comments that describe the state of the port.

moosferatu February 21, 2020 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 143145)
It is not functional. In case you haven't seen it, here is the pull request that resulted in the recent changes, with some comments that describe the state of the port.

Thanks! I had not seen the PR.

moosferatu February 27, 2020 04:26

Well, I decided to mess around trying to get it to work. This evening I was able to get it to work up until the end of character creation before it blew up loading the main game.

I was interested in playing on the NDS after playing the excellent new Android port but not liking how cramped my hands get playing games on the phone. While the NDS is much easier on the hands, what kills it for me is the screen resolution. In order to fit on the 256x192 display, the font has to be 3x8, making it ugly and hard to read. So, sadly, I don't think I'm going to continue to try to make it work.

As an enterprise Java coder, messing around with C and embedded hardware was fun though. I'm new to Angband, and, at this point, I think I may have spent more hours trying to figure out how to get the NDS port to work than playing the actual game...