Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which do you think is the best version of Angband? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5112)

Nick November 18, 2011 05:54

Which do you think is the best version of Angband?

There's been ongoing discussion about directions for some time now. Let's get some data.

andrewdoull November 18, 2011 06:36

NPP 0.5.3

And some chars...

will_asher November 18, 2011 06:43

I can't vote because 3.0.9 isn't an option. why?

Antoine November 18, 2011 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdoull (Post 63685)
NPP 0.5.3

+1

Nice sunny evening here

A.

Nick November 18, 2011 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by will_asher (Post 63686)

Wow, metacriticism.

Everyone: If I didn't include your favourite version, please write in, as will_asher has done.

For more information than you need (much of it correct) about Angband and variant version history, see this page.

Timo Pietilš November 18, 2011 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 63684)
There's been ongoing discussion about directions for some time now. Let's get some data.

That's a very difficult question. I would vote for Frog-knows if it had current vanilla macros and better targeting. However it has severely worse UI than current vanilla has.

2.8.3 is the one I remember playing a lot. Once played game thru with one sitting playing that. But it doesn't have some of the more interesting vaults for example.

2.9.x is pretty much same as 2.8.3, I don't recall what prompted the version change.

Was it resistance scheme change? Chaos -> Nether being most destructive? No more confusion prevention from Chaos? I hated that.

3.0.x is where JLE changes came in. That made game easier. I enjoyed some of the monsters, but didn't like the new items that much (except the few improved amulets, though at the long run Trickery has proven to be too powerful)

3.1 squelch. I like.

3.2 -> 3.3 ID by use, gain one lose one potions, lots of tweaks in rarities. Not yet what I hope it should be. Easiest versions this far.

So, every version has something improved, but also something that did go wrong. I think I vote for 2.8.3. It isn't perfect, but there is nothing really wrong in it either.

Antoine November 18, 2011 09:39

> at the long run Trickery has proven to be too powerful

It seems like Trickery should lose either speed or Rpois?

A.

Timo Pietilš November 18, 2011 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 63701)
> at the long run Trickery has proven to be too powerful

It seems like Trickery should lose either speed or Rpois?

A.

To put it simple, yes. Which one is the tough question.

Magnate November 18, 2011 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 63696)
Wow, metacriticism.

Everyone: If I didn't include your favourite version, please write in, as will_asher has done.

For more information than you need (much of it correct) about Angband and variant version history, see this page.

For actual information about what changed in each version, people might like to go here instead.

I vote for 2.9.6

Nomad November 18, 2011 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by will_asher (Post 63686)

3.0.9b was the first version I played, and it probably had the best difficulty level, although the UI has been improved so much since then that it's hard to vote for it unreservedly.