Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Comp 204 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8352)

debo April 17, 2017 14:12

Comp 204
 
Competition 204 is up. It's a PosChengband 6.0.4 Leprechaun. This way, if you decide you don't like the how all the new shooting stuff works, you can just blast things with devices.

glhf

Pete Mack April 21, 2017 21:12

Can't open the starting save file from the dev branch. Has there already been a savefile change since 6.0.4? What is the right git location to sync to get an actual 6.0.4 build?

HugoVirtuoso April 21, 2017 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 120230)
Can't open the starting save file from the dev branch. Has there already been a savefile change since 6.0.4? What is the right git location to sync to get an actual 6.0.4 build?

What OS are you using to run PosChengband?

debo, is it okay for us all to use PosChengband 6.0.5 for Compo 204? Just asking for confirmation sakes, even though I'm assured this won't be an issue.

Pete Mack April 21, 2017 22:57

Windows. I even tried downloading it with different techniques, to make sure it was 8-bit clean. No dice.

debo April 22, 2017 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 120234)
Windows. I even tried downloading it with different techniques, to make sure it was 8-bit clean. No dice.

git checkout the 6.0.4 tag and compile that. Although, I'm pretty sure that at the time I made this savefile, head and 6.0.4 were the same.

debo April 22, 2017 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 (Post 120233)
debo, is it okay for us all to use PosChengband 6.0.5 for Compo 204? Just asking for confirmation sakes, even though I'm assured this won't be an issue.

Sure, if 6.0.5 works for you then go ahead.

nikheizen April 22, 2017 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 120230)
Can't open the starting save file from the dev branch. Has there already been a savefile change since 6.0.4? What is the right git location to sync to get an actual 6.0.4 build?

Built it from commit 6b61d8b and it works fine with the savefile.

HugoVirtuoso April 22, 2017 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 120234)
Windows. I even tried downloading it with different techniques, to make sure it was 8-bit clean. No dice.

Windows 10? 64-bit? ?

Pete Mack April 22, 2017 03:46

I got it done. My initial problem was that I'd been using git fetch instead of git pull. Then I discovered that old .o files weren't get recompiled in my hacked together build environment, though I don't know why--it may be because there's no explicit %.o : %.c rule in Makefile.win from angband. (That's all done in Makefile.inc.)

Pete Mack April 23, 2017 07:08

Man this is a drag. Had to bail on Old Man Willow quest for the first time ever--couldn't handle the sabretooth tigers and vorpal bunnies.
Main weapons are a rod of fire bolts and a wand of Acid Balls, both purchased from the black market. Other than that, it's a Sling +7. Without a real bow, this character is just helpless.
Not sure where to head next. Just finished the Death Swords quest, then closed the game in frustration.

GenericPseudonym April 23, 2017 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 120278)
Man this is a drag. Had to bail on Old Man Willow quest for the first time ever--couldn't handle the sabretooth tigers and vorpal bunnies.
Main weapons are a rod of fire bolts and a wand of Acid Balls, both purchased from the black market. Other than that, it's a Sling +7. Without a real bow, this character is just helpless.
Not sure where to head next. Just finished the Death Swords quest, then closed the game in frustration.

If you only want an enchanted bow you can just pay for it with your leprechaun pot of gold.
You can pay the archer's guild (in any town except Outpost) to enchant bows and arrows, with the max enchantment based on your level. You can get yourself a +7 bow, and you might as well enchant up any ego ammo you have as well.

Pete Mack April 23, 2017 07:33

All I've found is a shortbow, so I might as well stick to the sling. The bow only would do about 13% more damage, since arrows have significantly fewer criticals than shot.

debo April 23, 2017 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 120280)
All I've found is a shortbow, so I might as well stick to the sling. The bow only would do about 13% more damage, since arrows have significantly fewer criticals than shot.

This is the poschengband grind. Almost every character hits it at some point, most of the non-OP builds hit it around CL25-30. I think clouded said it best, poscheng is all about how quickly you can start killing wyrms.

clouded April 23, 2017 14:19

For a character like Leprechaun the quickest and least painful way to progress is to dive deep (DL60), scour the levels for devices and then start killing high level hounds (plasma, nether, time) with wands of dragon fire/frost, those give something like 7k xp each so it's really effective. If you don't want to try and get into the dragon cave then dive down in Angband and purposefully fail the guardian quests, tanking your fame doesn't matter if you don't want to spend any money on reforges, Leprechauns need that for greed power. Dungeons like the castle and graveyard have more of certain types of monsters in them so they really aren't preferable. Once you've gained a bunch of levels, then you can go down deeper and find staves of healing, then maybe you can actually kill some dangerous stuff!

Pete Mack April 23, 2017 15:01

Yeah, after finishing Azog, I started diving in Angband. Quickly found a sling of accuracy(+23,+18), which helps.
How does the greed mechanic work, beyond granting essentially infinite mana (not that it helps much, with such limited spellcasting.)

clouded April 23, 2017 15:05

You get scaling bonuses to a lot of stuff like blows, shots, life rating, device skill. It maxes out at 10M gold, later on you get a passive ability to get gold whenever you destroy and item (with the autodestroyer) and you get bonus gold drops from monsters.

Pete Mack April 24, 2017 21:25

Cool. How long does the gold-for-destroyed-objects take? Obsessive selling is getting old fast--and I'm only at 240K GP (dl 40 angband.) The Craven personality doesn't help with this either :/

debo May 12, 2017 02:45

Congrats to Roch, murphy, and nikheizen for valiant efforts. But, to be honest, you all kind of sucked this time.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.