Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Least Favorite Monster (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1798)

Zikke April 27, 2009 22:33

I was going to say vortices but they don't usually spawn together in large clusterf*ck packs of doom :(

HallucinationMushroom April 28, 2009 00:56

Any mimic, followed very closely by those stationary skelly druj mage things.

Phoenix21692 April 28, 2009 01:16

My vote goes to Gravity Hounds. But, that's just me. :)

Nick April 28, 2009 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix21692 (Post 18322)
My vote goes to Gravity Hounds. But, that's just me. :)

No, it's not.

Daniel Fishman April 28, 2009 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zikke (Post 18304)
I was going to say vortices but they don't usually spawn together in large clusterf*ck packs of doom :(

Hounds show up on telepathy, though, so can be easily avoided. Vortices don't.

Never understood the hatred of magic mushroom patches: they're easy enough to ignore, since they can't run after you.

In fact there aren't really any monsters I hate. ToME water hounds, I suppose, since they stun, destroy potions, and cause significant damage, and generally appear on watery, and hence open, levels.

My least favourite / most hated unique has to be the Mouth of Sauron: spells powerful enough to kill many characters, and if you let him get to melee range he has disenchant and drain-charges attacks.

Mondkalb April 28, 2009 08:53

Hm, it depends on depth.

First nasty ones are basic element hounds because they can destroy (expensive and useful) parts of your inventory or damage your armor.
Well, I just tend to ignore the armor damage and struggle my way to deeper levels since soon enough acid resistant armor will show up.

Then there are some early uniques and monsters that can disenchant which really can be painful if a powerful weapon gets disenchanted.
All the undead that drain stats are similiar naughty.

Later on when you are powerful and may have resistance to disenchantement and even immunities to some elements you have to fight monsters that drain charges from your precious speed and healing staves.

And the game has monsters to attack you with powers beyond any resistance (most hated are plasma and gravity) or where resistance is very hard to get like nether (which can cause immidiate death).

Even with hold life and sustain stats you fall victim to time breathers.

What a cruel game! ;)

ehertlein April 28, 2009 14:37

I see I have so much to look forward to. I have been more successful lately then ever before and it seems that success will be rewarded with more monsters I will avoid like the plague! :)

Arphod April 29, 2009 01:26

Black Reavers. Won't even go near them.

Whelk April 29, 2009 02:07

Filthy street urchins. I fancy a quick trip to the general store for some apple juice and I get jumped by a million and a half of the little cretins. Thank goodness for ball-spell activators.

Omnibus April 29, 2009 04:40

Those darned 'Z' hounds. Nothing else causes me more aggravation.

Also, time vortices. "Time" is such a cheap mechanic. "So you worked hard to get all your sustains, and hold life? Well, they DON'T work!"

Also, Time Hounds, because they're an unresistable disenchant away from being the Perfect Storm of "cheap".