Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Least Favorite Monster (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1798)

Atarlost April 29, 2009 20:54

I'm kind of fond of death molds.

There used to be a point in a mages life when he could crack a jelly nest and splatter everything but the death molds with fireballs. Then he could get a few thousand exp using magic missile on the deathmolds since they have no ranged spells and don't move. That was when Ben Harrison was maintaining, though, and things have changed a lot since then.

My most hated is probably the hummerhorn. I had a traumatic experience with them as a child. Well, early teen. Boolean status ailments allways feel somehow unfair to me.

Djabanete April 29, 2009 21:58

Hounds.

First it's annoying blinding ones, then the annoying ones that wreck your kit, then the ones that can kill you, then the ones that can wreck your kit and kill you at the same time, then the ones that kill you and you can't resist it and you just want to genocide all of them all the time but you can't because you're a warrior.

/wrists

Zikke April 29, 2009 22:04

I forgot to mention Storms of Unmagic.

Undetectable by telepathy, burrows through walls, and has God-knows-what shooting out of them..

Fenrir April 30, 2009 01:30

The Tarrasque! :mad:

... followed closely by Dreads and the higher level hounds.

Chaos Hounds are particularly high in my "least favourite monsters list"; reminds me of one game where I got to Chaos hound depth at about level ten and one breath later I was at experience level zero and dead. It was hilarious to be at about level ten and that deep in the dungeon! :D

saarn April 30, 2009 15:28

I second the hummerhorns. . . breeding and confusing. Can't phase door out, and get nibbled to death in a corridor 200 turns later.

Solarn April 30, 2009 17:19

Anything that breeds explosively, especially on early levels. You can encounter lice as early as level 3 or 4 I believe, and if you don't have a line of sight to a stairway, you might as well just give up.

Later they can be annoying, but on low levels, explosive breeders are deadly.

Pete Mack May 1, 2009 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solarn (Post 18441)
Anything that breeds explosively, especially on early levels. You can encounter lice as early as level 3 or 4 I believe, and if you don't have a line of sight to a stairway, you might as well just give up.

Later they can be annoying, but on low levels, explosive breeders are deadly.

You just need to leave the level. Breeders are annoying, but you can get away.

The reason people all mention time hounds is that:
1. If there are several in LOS you are dead.
2. They move "very quickly", so they can always run you down.
3. Even a single breath can have really nasty side effects

Mondkalb May 1, 2009 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 18415)
The Tarrasque! :mad:

/signed

Just got killed by the damn thing. How much fire damage can it breathe? Even with resistance I lost ~600 points with one single breath.

Solarn May 1, 2009 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 18451)
You just need to leave the level. Breeders are annoying, but you can get away.

The reason people all mention time hounds is that:
1. If there are several in LOS you are dead.
2. They move "very quickly", so they can always run you down.
3. Even a single breath can have really nasty side effects

Yeah, I know, but breeders have an annoying habit of getting between you and stairways. And as I said, they are only annoying on higher levels, but in the beginning, they hit as hard as anything else, so early on they are the worst thing that can happen to a character. I don't even know how many new characters I lost to giant white lice.

Of course, once the really broken hounds start showing up, you'll cry for the times when all you had to worry about were lice or worm masses.

Nick May 1, 2009 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 18461)
Just got killed by the damn thing. How much fire damage can it breathe? Even with resistance I lost ~600 points with one single breath.

With single resist, it'll keep doing 533 fire or cold damage per breath until you have it down to 5 stars. Double resist or immunity or run away.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.