Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Movement Speed? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10623)

Pete Mack July 7, 2021 17:39

Use Rest. And make a macro (like 's') that explicitly rests 10 turns or so while the monster comes into sight. But mostly, huge movement speed is only possible with randarts, and is utterly lethal with +shots. Find a modest sized vault to run around, and Morgoth will never get a single spell off.

NCountr July 7, 2021 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_47569 (Post 154231)
Thanks for the confirmation and also the info about Moria - the main exception there being poison resistance. That wasn't available in either permanent or temporary form. Therefore the AMHD was an unavoidable instakill if it breathed poison as characters didn't get much over 400hp with stats capped at 18/100. Now THAT would be something to complain about if it was in modern Angband!

Since about 19-Always, Townies used to drop stuff. We also used to haggle over prices with the shop owners. And, yes, the Ancient Multi-hued D used to be something to be feared and revered... which is why we had wands of Wall Building. Poison breath attacks were nightmares and players had to be crafty about bouncing attacks off walls to damage such mobs before they had Line of Sight on the character. Well, we grew out of that and drops from Townies dissipated as well.

I don't know why or what's wrong with players who want to spend inordinate amounts of time with townies and their meager drops, but somewhere, someone decided they didn't want players hanging around town. Now we have to set a birth option just to be allowed to sell stuff to the shop keepers.

My original gripe is about the Game Designer(s) that have wanted to ratchet up Powerful Base Elemental attacks in another attempt to infuse hardship for the player. Yes, Stat Damage has been in the game in versions prior. But, my counter, so has a lot of other stuff that has been 'ruled out': like Townie drops. You can't go cherry-picking your historical references to rebut my charges. They have no value, like a lot of Level 0-1 potions. We used to get shopkeepers to buy and ID them on the cheap---that was a useful strategy back in the day.

Oh... but, but, but... . Yeah, right. Give me back shards of pottery and we'll talk.

NCountr July 7, 2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 154258)
Use Rest. And make a macro (like 's') that explicitly rests 10 turns or so while the monster comes into sight.

Too many keystrokes needed here. And macros, I've never been a fan of. Call me old-fashioned .. fine.

Quote:

But mostly, huge movement speed is only possible with randarts, and is utterly lethal with +shots. Find a modest sized vault to run around, and Morgoth will never get a single spell off.
I can see that now. Not sure how that would even be a challenge to kill off the final Uniques with such an advantage.

Pete Mack July 7, 2021 18:01

Here you go:
keymap: s
string: R10[Enter]$
Here [Enter] is the result of the enter key.
And not a macro, so no weird side effects. It's only certain games that still need them, like Tome (to toggle stance) and Sil (to toggle fire arrows)

Ancient Yeek July 7, 2021 19:31

Morgoth breathes time now? Oh crap lol looking forward to that.

I've had a few stat drops from breath attacks really doesn't bother me. I'm used to patching that stuff up with Mushrooms or whatever else I can find. My current character has 2 rods of restoration at the moment. If it was permanent stat loss I'd probably whine about it.

About shops I dunno why you guys have selling off by default. I love selling stuff. I miss ripping off the shop keepers with 20 unidentified rings of escaping as well that was hilarious if a little dumb haha.

Thanks for explaining speed and movement speed Nick that seemed quite straight forward - it got through my tiny brain anyway. I have two questions about speed I'd love to know the answer though to.

If you have extra energy say 120 when you move. Will the movement take 100 or do you lose any bonus energy after 100?

My next question is what is the maximum speed that will have an effect? I want at some point to create a max speed character just for the lols. I'm thinking maybe a druid as I think they have speed spell at the moment? Would +90 be max speed? So 10 +90=100 every turn. I'm assuming movement speed wouldn't make any difference at that point as you'd always fill the 100 limit.

Would need Cubragol Ringil, Feanor and rings of speed.

Nick July 8, 2021 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCountr (Post 154259)
Since about 19-Always, Townies used to drop stuff. We also used to haggle over prices with the shop owners. And, yes, the Ancient Multi-hued D used to be something to be feared and revered... which is why we had wands of Wall Building. Poison breath attacks were nightmares and players had to be crafty about bouncing attacks off walls to damage such mobs before they had Line of Sight on the character. Well, we grew out of that and drops from Townies dissipated as well.

I don't know why or what's wrong with players who want to spend inordinate amounts of time with townies and their meager drops, but somewhere, someone decided they didn't want players hanging around town. Now we have to set a birth option just to be allowed to sell stuff to the shop keepers.

My original gripe is about the Game Designer(s) that have wanted to ratchet up Powerful Base Elemental attacks in another attempt to infuse hardship for the player. Yes, Stat Damage has been in the game in versions prior. But, my counter, so has a lot of other stuff that has been 'ruled out': like Townie drops. You can't go cherry-picking your historical references to rebut my charges. They have no value, like a lot of Level 0-1 potions. We used to get shopkeepers to buy and ID them on the cheap---that was a useful strategy back in the day.

Oh... but, but, but... . Yeah, right. Give me back shards of pottery and we'll talk.

So basically what you're complaining about is anything you personally don't like, and your scope is the entire development of Angband from when it forked from Moria (or maybe before) until now, and also how other people play.

This clarifies things for me :)

NCountr July 8, 2021 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154271)
So basically what you're complaining about is anything you personally don't like, and your scope is the entire development of Angband from when it forked from Moria (or maybe before) until now, and also how other people play.

This clarifies things for me :)

Partially correct. I'm complaining about how the YesMen often resort to it's always been like wxyz, go split off yer own code and stick a Fork in it!. But, when I give counter arguments destroying the It's-Always-Been-That-Way argument, I suddenly get the rebuttal you just pushed -- "Yer an old foggie who can't accept change!" -- argument.

You cannot have it both ways. Either you accept that you've made changes and I can therefore critique them, or you look extremely weak otherwise. And it's the entourage of YesMen that push you into these weak positions.

I would rather hear you come back and say, "hmmm.. that point has some merit, let's look into this", "yeah, I might have over committed on that one", or, "no, I don't agree - here's why ... ", and discuss the points logically.

But, no, immediately, the YesMen circle like Time Hounds and defend the Commander with trite quips and uninspired back-talk. All-in-all a weak showing.

Mage's are too powerful moan the cliche'd crowd of YesMen. Followed quickly with the uneducated reasoning of, Dimension Door has wrecked the game!.

I recant the real reason behind what has "wrecked" the game and I see nothing but belly-aching and rants about how I don't know jack-Moria. Fine. Sit in your cubicles of Yes-ness and believe that Dimension Door is why the game is where it is.

NCountr July 8, 2021 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 154263)
Here you go:
keymap: s
string: R10[Enter]$
Here [Enter] is the result of the enter key.
And not a macro, so no weird side effects. It's only certain games that still need them, like Tome (to toggle stance) and Sil (to toggle fire arrows)

Thank you. Someday, I'll figure out how to remap keys. I think it is in the ? help.

Nick July 8, 2021 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCountr (Post 154279)
Thank you. Someday, I'll figure out how to remap keys. I think it is in the ? help.

The ? help has been gutted, and the extensive help files are now online - keymap help is here.

wobbly July 8, 2021 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCountr (Post 154278)
and discuss the points logically.

The trouble is you are asking for a kind of respect you aren't prepared to give yourself. If you want discussion based on logic, start arguing based on logic rather then rambling about the Illuminati of YesMen. People only brought up "the way it is always have been-ith" because you suggested changes were introduced.

Shrug. The thing is I enjoy nonsense for its own sense, so I'll post it just for the kicks. You sound like you actually want to get a game change in. Try halving the nonsense and sticking to the actual point. At the moment I'm not sure what your point even is?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.