Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   History of angband (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8279)

Pete Mack February 23, 2017 21:06

History of angband

Was there ever one written? This project has been kept alive for an astonishingly long time, so it'd make sense to have a real history written down, lest we forget.

Nick February 23, 2017 21:15

The release details an rephial (start here and go forward) almost qualify; there's also the Angband chapter in Dungeon Hacks. But yes, it would be a good thing to have.

Pete Mack February 23, 2017 22:02

Yikes. A whole lot has happened (not all of it good, of course) since 2.5, which was rather my point. Maybe we need a FrogKnows competition?

debo February 24, 2017 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 118442)
Yikes. A whole lot has happened (not all of it good, of course) since 2.5, which was rather my point. Maybe we need a FrogKnows competition?

We did one not so long ago (relatively speaking.) Despite the apparently large number of posters who thought this was a good idea, only 2 people participated, probably because the requirements to get it running were awful. The general feedback was "this is kinda fun but the UI is too terrible to for us now and I probably wouldn't do it again."

http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=146

PowerWyrm February 24, 2017 13:39

Quote:

Maybe we need a FrogKnows competition?

FrogKnows is unplayable. Drops are garbage and monsters take too long to kill.

takkaria February 24, 2017 16:29

Quote:

I think Nick was referring to the list of versions on the right hand side. If you follow through from one version to the next, there is some history of the events and discussions around the major releases, pieced together from newsgroup posts at the time. This includes releases we don't have the source code for in some cases.

rhutson May 15, 2017 06:24

Yikes! So there's no copies available of the early 2.7.x source code?

I'm almost sure that I have the 2.7.3 source code since that's my Linux executable-only release on rephial.org. I may have the 2.7.2 source code as well. The surmountable problem is that they would be on a Linux box with no Wi-Fi card which is currently being used as an end table.

rhutson May 15, 2017 08:51

That was actually fun in a reminiscent way. This monitor does not support my custom designed video resolutions, the root file system was corrupt, I got to quickly recall how to use fdisk and correct the cylinder size, but with the most disturbing finding being the floppy diskette drive being flagged by BIOS as broken.

While I did retain the 4.2 BSD source code along with proprietary Sun source code, I did not retain the missing Angband source code as I would have assumed that someone else would have done so.

I did find all encrypted emails both from and to Ben, Charles, and many other game players before, during and after that transition period. I would say that translated history of that transition is "close enough".

Nick May 15, 2017 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhutson (Post 120801)
Yikes! So there's no copies available of the early 2.7.x source code?

I'm almost sure that I have the 2.7.3 source code since that's my Linux executable-only release on rephial.org. I may have the 2.7.2 source code as well. The surmountable problem is that they would be on a Linux box with no Wi-Fi card which is currently being used as an end table.

Getting hold of that would be good. The relevant bits of the commit history on the Angband Variant Repository show that it's pretty slim pickings in the early 2.7s.

rhutson May 15, 2017 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 120804)
it's pretty slim pickings in the early 2.7s.

Our posts likely overlapped, but I have discovered that I have no such source code to share.

I thought that older source code was on phial.org, but phial is gone. Ben would surely have source code copies of his Angband releases, but they have disappeared, for reasons unexplained.

I obviously cannot discuss certain internal dyanmics, but Ben and I both recognized that Angband was once very buggy. That bothered us both, very much.