Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Z+Angband and ASCII. Something massive in my head changed and I love it! (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4133)

Jude February 17, 2011 20:51

Oddly, I can only play *bands with ASCII, but Dwarf Fortress I find completely impossible to play without graphics sets. Not sure why; probably because there's SO many more objects in DF, and many of them are quite simple and can be easily represented with small tiles (barrels, tables, levers, doors, and so on). Whereas in *bands you have all manner of bizarre things to draw - pulsing flesh mounds and hydras with various amounts of heads, for a start.

pampl February 17, 2011 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by stv2049 (Post 48779)
For me it's all about simplicity and ease of use.

Identifying threats is far easier for my brain to process when looking at an array of colored letters rather than graphics.

Yeah, I think this is the main reason I like ASCII graphics as well. That said, it's possible for tiles to do this - in Crawl, it's actually easier to identify threats when you're using tiles, at least for low level threats(demon strength is more clearly conveyed in ASCII IMO).

I guess I understand the point the "text = imagination" people are making, but it's never really resonated with me. I'll stop and try to imagine a unique every once in a while but when I'm killing an orc pit or whatever I just see an "@" symbol making "o"s disappear. That kind of rote task isn't very immersive in a graphical game either, because my brain is 'turned off', but it's probably more immersive for me than text. Even when it comes to those uniques I stop and imagine, it's less impressive in my imagination than it is with a relatively modern graphical display, the same way a fireworks display is more impressive to me than reading a description of fireworks, even a description of really big fireworks. A picture is worth a thousand words so 60 pictures per second equates to an awful lot of descriptive text.

relic February 19, 2011 11:49

I have never used tiles, mainly because on the computers that I have had, there has only been small (8X8, or maybe 16X16) tiles available and that is too small pictures for me. Also, if I would start using tiles now, I'd have to learn what all those pictures represent which is too much work (I think :)).

buzzkill February 19, 2011 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 48897)
I have never used tiles, mainly because on the computers that I have had, there has only been small (8X8, or maybe 16X16) tiles available and that is too small pictures for me. Also, if I would start using tiles now, I'd have to learn what all those pictures represent which is too much work (I think :)).

They're recognizable pictures. The king cobra looks like a king cobra. A white dragon looks like a white dragon. That probably covers about 1/2 the tile set. It gets a bit more complicated with yeeks and demons etc, but (almost) every tile is unique, so once you know it, you know it. No more wondering if that o is violet, light purple or dark purple, or light dark, or light slate (is "light dark" a typo in monster.txt).