Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   [Frog] Mint Leaves and Blue Mage Question (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10440)

Rune December 2, 2020 23:16

[Frog] Mint Leaves and Blue Mage Question
 
Hello! I got the quest 'Djinni's Cavern' and the quest giver states "I've heard rumours that the djinni might become friendly again if offered peppermint leaves; so if you have any that could be an alternative way to deal with it." But I've never seen mint leaves or anything of the sort in game before. Is this an actual thing or just a King's Quest joke? And if they are in the game, how do I give them to the djinn?

Another thing: how the hell are you supposed to get a Blue Mage off the ground? I tried several times but I don't even know where to get low level spells. I tried waiting for novice mages or something outside Outpost, but it was fruitless. I just keep end up playing a sub par melee guy who dies quickly. Is Blue Mage a bad class or am I missing something? Thanks.

Sideways December 2, 2020 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune (Post 149726)
Hello! I got the quest 'Djinni's Cavern' and the quest giver states "I've heard rumours that the djinni might become friendly again if offered peppermint leaves; so if you have any that could be an alternative way to deal with it." But I've never seen mint leaves or anything of the sort in game before. Is this an actual thing or just a King's Quest joke? And if they are in the game, how do I give them to the djinn?

It's just a King's Quest joke, there are no mint leaves anywhere in the game. Well done recognizing what it references :)

Quote:

Another thing: how the hell are you supposed to get a Blue Mage off the ground? I tried several times but I don't even know where to get low level spells. I tried waiting for novice mages or something outside Outpost, but it was fruitless. I just keep end up playing a sub par melee guy who dies quickly. Is Blue Mage a bad class or am I missing something? Thanks.
Novice mages are a good starting point, but another enemy you can be on the lookout for is... snagas! Snagas shoot, and you can actually learn that as a spell.

Offensive wands will also help you in the early going; you start with -MagicMissile and that's better than nothing, but once you have a bit of money you can buy a wand of Frost Bolts from the magic shop. If you really struggle to get a blue mage going, you can try picking the Noble personality just for the additional starting money.

I would suggest exploring Warrens, maybe even Hideout, rather than the wilderness; more cover if things go wrong, and more random money lying around for you to buy supplies with. In the wilderness it's harder to pick your fights until you can teleport around at will.

Squeak December 2, 2020 23:52

Blue mage is my favorite class in Frog. The beginning is difficult. I usually buy at least a couple of teleportation scrolls and try to find a novice mage or archer in the wilderness. The magic missile wand is useful against crows, ravens and wild cats. If anything else chases me , I retreat to the town moat as most non flying monsters cannot swim. This is also a good place to learn magic missile from the novice mages as it can take several hits to learn the spell and it helps if they are unable to melee you.
Once I've learned magic missile or shoot I usually complete the thieves quest and then the mercenary quest.
The next important spells to learn are frost bolt, Fire bolt, Or lightning bolt. I usually learn these from wormtongue, a gnome mage, or a druid. You can usually find them in the hideout dungeon. This would also be a good opportunity to learn breaths, although the damage from these is quite low in the beginning.
The next big spell to learn is Throw boulder. You have to be very careful about this as the damage is high. You want to make sure to have enough hp to survive an attack and also have a way of healing and escape. Sound and shard resistance are helpful but not absolutely necessary. I usually look for giants or do the Olog quest in order to learn this. Knowing Throw boulder is a huge boost for blue mages as it does a great deal of damage and also stuns most monsters. I usually wait for Throw boulder to do the Tengu and Mimic quests, as they are much easier with this.
Other helpful spells are confuse or blind, although carrying a wand of confusion achieves the same effect. Once you have resist confuse, it is very helpful to learn breath confusion from a bronze dragonfly as it allows you to confuse multiple monsters at once.

I have no insight into the peppermint leaves. I assume it's a joke.

Squeak December 3, 2020 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 149727)
I would suggest exploring Warrens, maybe even Hideout, rather than the wilderness; more cover if things go wrong, and more random money lying around for you to buy supplies with. In the wilderness it's harder to pick your fights until you can teleport around at will.

I would choose Hideout over Warrens. In the Hideout you have a higher chance of finding monsters from which you can learn lightning, fire or ice bolt.

wobbly December 3, 2020 08:08

I'd start with a sling. You'll want a frost bolt wand as soon as you can get it but wands run out of charges quicker then you run out of iron shots. When you have the hps to survive hound breathes you can head to orc cave. Bring enough moonbeam wands to deal with the orcs.

Rune December 3, 2020 21:42

Thank you for all the tips and answers my fellows. I was going to go for a joke about killing the girl from I dream of jeannie, but I realize there's no way to say it without sounding like a crazy person so we're not doing that. But yeah, no thanks all.

budswell December 5, 2020 08:51

So I'm trying a blue mage.
I had learning on when a novice midcrafter case slow and confuse on me, but did not learn those spells. Did I do something wrong, or are these types not learnable? Or does it take a few times?

Sideways December 5, 2020 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by budswell (Post 149787)
So I'm trying a blue mage.
I had learning on when a novice midcrafter case slow and confuse on me, but did not learn those spells. Did I do something wrong, or are these types not learnable? Or does it take a few times?

Learning spells often takes a few attempts. It is true, though, that Confuse is somewhat tricky to learn - it might leave you too confused to learn :) But Confuse is learnable; nearly all spells directed at the player are.

budswell December 9, 2020 03:06

So this post got me to try a blue mage. Best frog char yet (a failure by all your standards, but great for me).
Blue mages are definitely powerful. Summon monsters/demons plus throw boulder is a great combo. Fun to play, starting with slow monster wands and regen mushrooms to kite spell casters around trying to learn spells. Then the combo above for killing later on.

Saru December 22, 2020 08:53

Blue mages are quite fun. Only thing I remember being disappointed with was boulder throw outclassing mana bolt in almost every way for pretty much the whole game despite being lower level and more common. :confused:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.