Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bug? The Cat Lord is not an animal. (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1447)

CunningGabe February 5, 2009 03:10

Bug? The Cat Lord is not an animal.

This is sort of random, but I noticed just now that the Cat Lord, unlike all other 'f' monsters, is not an animal (i.e. doesn't have the ANIMAL flag). Is that intentional or an oversight?

Donald Jonker February 5, 2009 03:33

I can only presume it has something to do with the Andrew Lloyd Weber production, and must therefore be expunged and forgotten, forthwith.

Zikke February 5, 2009 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Jonker (Post 14945)
I can only presume it has something to do with the Andrew Lloyd Weber production, and must therefore be expunged and forgotten, forthwith.

The Jellicle Cats do not appreciate your insubordination.

zaimoni February 5, 2009 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by CunningGabe (Post 14943)
This is sort of random, but I noticed just now that the Cat Lord, unlike all other 'f' monsters, is not an animal (i.e. doesn't have the ANIMAL flag). Is that intentional or an oversight?

Intentional; I think it's an early AD&D'ism. Also true in ADOM.

fyonn May 9, 2010 12:33

Sorry to raise a really old thread, but shouldn't the cat lord be an animal? it's a feline after all..

I'm just melee'ing him now with the whip of gothmog which has slay_animal and (in my mind) ought to be smiting this chap...

dave

PowerDiver May 9, 2010 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyonn (Post 33363)
Sorry to raise a really old thread, but shouldn't the cat lord be an animal?

I have no idea what a cat lord is, but I agree that it should either be an animal or else should not have the letter of an animal. Make it a 'p' or an 'h' if it is a person.

fyonn May 9, 2010 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerDiver (Post 33371)
I have no idea what a cat lord is

err.. monster number 516? :)

ekolis May 9, 2010 20:53

It's a guy who travels through cat in a telephone booth, of course!

Nemesis May 9, 2010 22:43

I always pictured the Cat Lord as a bipedal catman, and that would probably not count as an animal. One could argue that all living beings are animal, but then we're not taking Eru's intelligent design in consideration, he probably intended Elves and Dwarves and Men to be the crown of creation, in his image. Then Morgoth created/modified Orcs and Trolls and such to be in his image. And then Dragons were also an exception. And suddenly there weren't that many animals left who were animals.

fyonn May 9, 2010 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 33380)
I always pictured the Cat Lord as a bipedal catman, and that would probably not count as an animal.

then wouldn't it be an 'H' for hybrid?

I think if it remains as 'f' for feline, then it should be classed as an animal and thus vulnerable to slay_animal. not that it matters for my current guy who took him down with gothmog anyway, but I think the point stands :)

dave