Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Idle chatter (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ringil for sale (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=326)

Dragonboneman October 24, 2007 19:49

Ringil for sale

I was mooching around the internet and found this site selling replicas of Ringil.
Interesting, but I don't think it would be legal in the UK. Nonetheless, it might be of interest to some of you.
http://www.swordsofhonor.com/highelvensword.html.

Daven_26d1 October 24, 2007 21:00

They are perfectly legal. You can own real katana and waikazashi too - the law simply requires that the edges of blades over a certain length are blunt, and that sharp blades under that length have a functional use. (ie "slays orcs nicely" won't do it!)

The companies that make those kind of swords usually manufacture them with non-lethal edges. The real travesty is when a collector imports antique folded steel from the east and basically takes the edge to a belt-grinder for 15 minutes. That makes me cry a little bit.

Dragonboneman October 24, 2007 21:10

This particular sword is described as being "RAZOR SHARP!", and "fully battle-ready" whatever that means.

EDIT: There's a note at the foot of the page explaining that "battle-ready" means the sword is made from high carbon spring steel.

pav October 24, 2007 22:41

LOL :D

I never understood what folks see on this insanely designed fantasy weaponry, when they can get a perfectly fine, 100% historically accurate sword for a fraction of the price.

Also for the law, I don't think there is any requirement for blunt edges here in CZ. Just you're required to carry the sword in the scabbard is that a word? I rely on my dictionary here on public places.

Oh and BTW the hilt must be the same piece of steel as the blade. Otherwise it will fall apart on the first blow. That elven thing linked above looks like a piece of polished brass glued to the blade :)

Dragonboneman October 24, 2007 23:37

My main problem with the sword is that it looks far too ordinary to be Ringil.
Ringil, as I imagine it, would be impossible to forge in the real world because it would be so obviously magical. You know, glowing and stuff.

Oh, and yes, you used the word "scabbard" correctly.

tigen October 25, 2007 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pav (Post 3423)
LOL :D
Oh and BTW the hilt must be the same piece of steel as the blade. Otherwise it will fall apart on the first blow. That elven thing linked above looks like a piece of polished brass glued to the blade :)

Well, it says "the full tang runs through the pommel and is peened (hammered flat)". The tang is the hilt portion.

I don't really see what about that sword is Ringil though, it just looks like a sword.

pav October 25, 2007 00:04

Does it really need to look special? :) I expect elven designs to be mean and lean, elegant, no-bullshit minimalistic. That sword is all that, but I admit it's a tad plain and low-end looking.

Personaly I wasn't all hip about the elven designs used in the LotR movies. Too curly. You?

Djabanete October 25, 2007 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by pav (Post 3428)
Personaly I wasn't all hip about the elven designs used in the LotR movies. Too curly. You?

I thought everything relating to elves in the movies looked like bullshit.

Daven_26d1 October 25, 2007 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonboneman (Post 3421)
This particular sword is described as being "RAZOR SHARP!", and "fully battle-ready" whatever that means.

EDIT: There's a note at the foot of the page explaining that "battle-ready" means the sword is made from high carbon spring steel.

I guess it means it doesn't shatter if you hit something with it. EDIT - (the blade, at least)

Obviously something would have to be done about the "Razor-Sharp!" thing before it could be imported. I'd much rather have Glamdring anyway!

Big Al October 25, 2007 02:25

I'm almost certain that elves didn't have access to carbon-steel. I would imagine that your 'razor-sharp' blade would be rather dull after a couple hits to anything metal.