Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   back porting O-variants? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8966)

wobbly July 3, 2018 04:15

Some progress. Got a super rough racial list, mostly placeholders so I can test & see how the numbers change things. I went with a compromise on xp penalties: 100% base race, 110% strong race, 125% high elf... About 1/10 of the way through a 1st pass on the monster list. The 1st list is going to be a massive mishmash of things while I test every gimmick I can think of to learn what everything does. I'll try & get iconic O monsters to spawn more regularly then visitors at least & do a more authentic list when the mechanics look more similar.

Some weirdness. Capitalization is inconsistent (monster are lower-case, but they are capitalized in friends: ) . However the game wants to spit the dummy if I use Desc instead of desc, figures. Seems almost every non-unique humanoid is marked as male. Puzzled as to the reason, so started removing the flag to see if anything breaks.

Edit: I saw nothing on silver jelly to make it do what it does. Somewhere else? Lighting code?
Edit2: I tried using the kobold shaman(not in O) as mini-boss kobolds & they still mob-gen in pits. I assume that's sets elsewhere?

wobbly July 4, 2018 09:17

Hmm so worked out what doesn't work. I'm going to have to convert the old list by hand unless someone has a better suggestion? V and O have a non-linear relationship between AC.

At depth 1:approx. 1.5x
Depth 10: 2 - 2.5x
50:3-3.5x
90+:3x

Morgoth's hp doubled. Most of the other big guys it's about 1.33x

wobbly July 9, 2018 11:37

From player attack.c:

/* Power competes against armor */
return randint0(chance) >= (ac * 2 / 3);

I can't find ac used anywhere else, was this just a hack to scale all of the monsters at once or is ac used somewhere else? It's (*2/3) not in O but it lines up the ACs for the bottom part of the monster list. Maybe this is good news? Maybe I can use Vanilla ACs & just adjust the top half of the list?

Pete Mack July 9, 2018 15:29

@wobbly--i don't know when that was added. It was certainly present in 3.0

wobbly July 13, 2018 13:52

Ok worked it out. I'm using FAs monster list for now. I've converted the format to V & stripped out the monster mana. I'll add them in to a V list 10 dlvls at a time & remove broken flags & spells. Bronze worms will be flagged BR_WALL for now. Vs hydra will come across, I'll make them rare & see if that'll mostly spawn them in pits. All the humans will likely be replaced with Vs version because they're already flagged. Compos's silver worm (breathe inertia) will come across & a bunch of things with tails (like giant salamander, young+ dragons) will gain a tail-slap in melee. I'll just keep a pure copy before I add anything in.

wobbly July 13, 2018 16:02

After feedback on whether to keep any of the following;
  • N:260:Woe
  • N:261:Aggravation
  • N:262:Weakness
  • N:263:Stupidity
  • N:302: DOOM
  • N:322:Curse Armor
  • N:323:Curse Weapon
  • N:333:*Identify* (reconverted to id all runes)
  • N:368:Elemental Attacks(this was broken in FA, don't know about O)
  • N:395:Ruination
  • N:396:Weakness
  • etc

with vanilla id. I'm keeping Vs mouse ring. It's a nice design

Edit: Also a good candidate monster to drop ?recall
Edit2: Perhaps healers & master rogues? Maybe master rogue should leave level when it steals? Is there an easy way to do that?

Derakon July 13, 2018 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 131899)
  • N:322:Curse Armor
  • N:323:Curse Weapon
  • N:333:*Identify* (reconverted to id all runes)
  • N:368:Elemental Attacks(this was broken in FA, don't know about O)
  • N:395:Ruination
  • N:396:Weakness
  • etc

with vanilla id.

Unequivocally bad equipment and consumables make ID-by-use too risky to attempt. That's why modern Vanilla's cursed gear is mixed-blessing instead. I'd leave the bad gear out. *Identify* and Elemental Attacks might possibly be worth keeping. The use case for *Identify* is a little odd -- you'd want to use it on an item with a lot of unknown runes, I guess. Elemental Attacks I assume brands your melee with an element? That used to be on Vanilla's Rings of Acid/Fire/etc. and was removed because it made certain weapons (particularly the Glaive of Pain) much too powerful.

Quote:

Edit2: Perhaps healers & master rogues? Maybe master rogue should leave level when it steals? Is there an easy way to do that?
You can find the code that handles the EAT_GOLD hit effect, and change it to invoke the Banishment effect on the monster after gold is stolen. I believe this simply amounts to deleting the monster from the level.

Nick July 14, 2018 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 131899)

If you're talking about O, and keeping V-style curses, ditch them. FA jewellery works kind of like randarts, so you'd have to decide whether to do that or not; the simple way would be just to keep V jewellery.

wobbly July 16, 2018 18:23

I'll use Vs for now & just remove a few that don't fit.

I think I have a clearer idea what I'll do with the specialties. Nick swapped rogue & ranger hps. Instead I'll bring back athletics and you can choose to have hps on either. So with athletics paladin hps=old warrior rogue/ranger=old paladin, but that'll be a choice vs a spell realm. Rogues will pick necromancy for the old assassin & I'll use blackguards. So will need something to differentiate bookless paladins and warriors. Rogues and rangers still have natural niches.

wobbly July 16, 2018 21:40

So Sangs combat code seems to be Os with a bunch of extra stuff. So I'll see if I can bring bits of stuff from that across even if I don't use it. It's got a bunch of stuff for bookless paladin at the least