Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Choosing between Ego Shooting Weapons (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9379)

Sparrow the Dunadan April 14, 2019 01:06

Choosing between Ego Shooting Weapons

Right now I possess a-

Light Crossbow of the Haradrim (x4) (+8, +12) <+1>

+1 Shooting Power
+1 Shooting Speed

Cannot be harmed by acid or fire
-

But I am wielding a-

Short Bow of Lothlorien (x4) (+8, +9) <+5, +2>

+5 Dexterity
+2 Shooting Power

Provides protection from Stunning.
Cannot be harmed by acid or fire.
Prevents Paralysis.
---

I think what I'm wielding is ultimately better based on the protections it gives me, and the fact that it has a higher boost to shooting power, and the DEX stat is pretty significant. But then there's the fact that Haradrim gives a shooting speed increase, and has +3 more to the to DAM stat. However, Haradrim is a crossbow, which means it's heavier (at 11 lbs.), vs Lothlorien, which is only 3 lbs.

So am I right in choosing Lothlorien over Haradrim? Or wrong, and why?

Derakon April 14, 2019 01:23

Depends on what version you're running. In 4.1 that +1 shooting speed doubles your damage output; in 4.2 it increases it by 10%.

+5 DEX is pretty nice for getting you extra melee blows though, so if you aren't shooting much either way I'd go with the Lothlorien. Keep the Haradrim around though; with some good bolts it'll put out a lot of damage.

Sparrow the Dunadan April 14, 2019 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 137693)
Depends on what version you're running. In 4.1 that +1 shooting speed doubles your damage output; in 4.2 it increases it by 10%.

+5 DEX is pretty nice for getting you extra melee blows though, so if you aren't shooting much either way I'd go with the Lothlorien. Keep the Haradrim around though; with some good bolts it'll put out a lot of damage.

Wait! 4.2 is out?! But I just got 4.1.3 a few months before I came here! *Looks for download, but can't find it.* :/

Well considering I'm running 4.1.3 , and I've got Foragsil as my melee weapon, with rings of Fire and Lightning (plus carrying a ring of Digging +5, for nasty stone types and other monsters hurt by digging [stone to mud] damage) I think I'm okay.

But yeah,... I have Haradrim in my home right now.

Derakon April 14, 2019 02:09

4.2 is still in development -- the dust hasn't settled. You can play it but it's not quite balanced yet. It's perfectly reasonable to stick with 4.1 if you don't want to deal with that, or with any prior version for any reason you like, for that matter.

Adam April 14, 2019 14:19

In the other threads you posted screenshots about a ranger so I assume that's the same character.
I think 4.1.3 still gives rangers +1 shot at level 20 and another +1 at level 40 - but only with bows, not crossbows.

Sparrow the Dunadan April 15, 2019 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 137712)
In the other threads you posted screenshots about a ranger so I assume that's the same character.
I think 4.1.3 still gives rangers +1 shot at level 20 and another +1 at level 40 - but only with bows, not crossbows.

Yeah, right now I'm focusing on my Dunadan Ranger.

Gwarl April 19, 2019 18:12

The shortbow is much superior here.

Ingwe Ingweron April 23, 2019 04:20

My shortcut "rule of thumb" for launcher comparison is to wield the launchers in question and compare their damage with bog-standard ammo by "looking" in the general store (which you can do from the dungeon). It isn't perfect, as slays, etc., ammo have different numbers when "might" is involved, but it's close enough for me.

Sparrow the Dunadan April 25, 2019 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 137950)
My shortcut "rule of thumb" for launcher comparison is to wield the launchers in question and compare their damage with bog-standard ammo by "looking" in the general store (which you can do from the dungeon). It isn't perfect, as slays, etc., ammo have different numbers when "might" is involved, but it's close enough for me.

That's a bug as far as I know. I've never been able to browse stores of any kind while I'm in the dungeon in any version of Angband, including the 4.1.3 version I'm running.

Sparrow the Dunadan April 25, 2019 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwarl (Post 137868)
The shortbow is much superior here.

Yeah, it seemed superior as far as the number of positives it grants.