Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   AAR (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Diary of Pentaxis, Ironman Hobbit Mage (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9271)

Wanderlust January 28, 2019 10:38

The Diary of Pentaxis, Ironman Hobbit Mage

This style of playing and keeping a diary was inspired by this thread by Moving Pictures. Thanks!

Pentaxis landed in the world of Angband 4.1.3 with randarts, ironman settings, and know all flavors on birth as a hobbit mage. 8 points went into STR and 6 points each into INT and CON. STR = 12, INT = 18/30, CON = 16. 7 HP, 2 SP. This is her diary.

L0. In town, I purchase a cloak, food, torches, a quiverful of 1d5 bolts, a copy each of the first 2 spell books, a wand of magic missiles, and a handful each of CLW potions and phase door scrolls. I learn my first spell: Magic Missile.

L1. 2-1. With no weapon, Magic Missile is my main attack. My first kill is a fruit bat, slain with a single magic missile. A large brown snake takes me to CL 2 (15 HP, 4 SP). I learn Detect Monsters and Phase Door. A small kobold takes me to CL 3 (18 HP, 6 SP) and I learn Light Area. I pick up a pair of [1,+0] leather sandals, doubling my AC.

L2. 2-?. I'm leveling up quickly now, gaining experience from kills and also from casting new spells. A large yellow snake falls to 3 magic missiles and brings me to CL 4 (26 HP, 8 SP). I learn Find Traps, Doors & Stairs, which now becomes part of my exploration ritual, along with Detect Monsters. A blubbering icky thing takes me to CL 5 (31 HP, 10 SP), and I learn Stinking Cloud and Confuse Monster. An acolyte takes me to CL 6 (39 HP, 11 SP); I learn Lightning Bolt. A [2,+0] wicker shield found on the floor doubles my AC again.

Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog, meets me in a large open room. 3 magic missiles and he's dead. In the room are two daggers: one is (+1,+5); the other is (+3,+2) with +1 wisdom and unknown runes. Both kind of useless, but I equip the second. At least I might learn a new rune. Just before leaving the level, a blubbering icky thing takes me to CL 7 (42 HP, 13 SP), and I learn Spear of Light, useful for preparing illuminated attack corridors.

L3. 2-1. At CL 7, I'm overpowered for this depth, but still exploring carefully in hope of collecting consumables for later, especially since I'm running low on food. Not much of use here, though. I swap my sandals for a pair of [2,+0] leather boots, which brings my AC to 5. A pack of cave spiders brings me to CL 8 (48 HP, 15 SP); I learn Disable Traps, Destroy Doors.

L4. 2-2. Fang is running around near my entry point here; like his brother, he loses his life to 3 magic missiles. I equip a (+5,+6) short bow found on the floor; too bad my quiver is full of bolts and pebbles only. There are 3 poltergeists haunting the area, they show me one of the runes on my dagger is slay undead.

A small team of soldiers and apprentices falls to a barrage of magic missiles, taking me to CL 9 (51 HP, 17 SP). I learn Cure Poison and Teleport Self. I find a pair of [1,+1] leather gloves of free action, but they're cursed with slow recovery and who knows what else. No good to wear them like this but I'll take them with me; maybe I can remove the curses later.

L5. 2-3. I'm running low on food, as I've only found a single ration since entering the dungeon. In a room near my entry point I kill a skeleton kobold and pick up a set of [8,+8] leather armor with unknown runes, raising my AC to 21. A blue jelly IDs the rune on my armor: resist cold.

In a room with a few snakes and kobolds, I find a lantern and achieve CL 10 (56 HP, 19 SP). I choose not to learn any spell in case I come across the third spell book which has the much-needed Satisfy Hunger spell.

L6. 2-3. There's only a single ration in my pack, so finding something to eat is my top priority right now. But as I'm fighting a group of gallants and scouts, I feel something touch me. I immediately read a scroll of Detect Invisible; it's a green glutton ghost and it eats my last ration before I can react. But the Great Goddess RNG provides. The next room is full of bats, eyes, icky things, snakes, and worms, and 4 rations on the floor.

Digging through rubble as I explore the last corner of this level, I find a pair of [1,+4] leather gloves of free action. I don this pair, discarding the cursed set. AC is now 26. As a final bonus, I find 23 (+8,+3) {??} arrows in an empty room. Now I have a decent non-magical ranged attack: these will do 23.2 average damage/round with my good short bow.

Wanderlust January 28, 2019 14:30

L7. 9-1. Omens of death haunt this place, and it might have something to do with the ogre pit near my entry point: 20 ogres and 35 black ogres. Avoid. I earn CL 11 (61 HP, 20 SP) in battle with a small team of cave orcs and snagas in a small room, learning Hold Monster. Smeagol is here; I hit him with a magic missile and 2 charges from my wand of wonder, but he steals a few coins and disappears before taking any real damage.

L8. 3-?. I spot Wormtongue sleeping in a large room with a rat and a jelly. Unloading all 8 charges from my wand of wonder barely scratches him, but when I try my bow, I discover the arrows I'm carrying are arrows of venom that do 58 damage/round. 3 arrows ends Wormtongue's life. He drops a pair of cursed [1,+6] leather sandals of free action. They have chilled to the bone and other unknown runes. I decide to wear them anyway for at least a bit. A giant white dragon fly is my ticket to CL 12 (68 HP, 22 SP). I soon discover another curse on my sandals: poison.

Bullroarer the Hobbit meets me in a hallway. I try to get a little distance with phase door but my cursed sandals prevent me; they have teleportation ban to. Plan B: I blast him 5 times with magic missiles from close range; he scores a few hits before he dies, dropping a new pair of [1,+4] {??} leather sandals (for which I swap out the cursed ones) and a (+4,+5) {??} tulwar that doesn't seem worth the bother.

L9. 3-1. A mixed team of cave orcs, hill orcs, and snagas is waiting near my entry point. Killing them takes me to CL 13 (69 HP, 24 SP); I learn Frost Bolt. I meet Smeagol again; this time I hit him with 7 frost bolts, 2 arrows of venom, and 5 magic missiles, which finally kill him. He drops only a scroll of treasure detection, which I add to my pack.

L10. 3-2. Grishnakh is camped out near my entry point with 11 snagas and 8 hill orcs. Engaging his party takes me to CL 14 (77 HP, 26 SP). 4 arrows of venom and 2 frost bolts take care of Grishnakh, who drops only a useless war hammer, but takes me to CL 15 (85 HP, 28 SP). I pick up a [+12] ring of protection, which raises my AC to 41. Just for the heck of it, I learn Wonder before going down the stairs, thus completing my knowledge of the book Conjurings and Tricks.

L11. 3-2. Wandering around, I pick up some junk: an amulet of resist acid {??}; a main gauche (+6,+10) {??} to replace the dagger I found on L2; and a ring of the mouse (0,-11) <+4,+2>, which raises my stealth rating to "excellent".

L12. 3-3. A small band of black orcs and snagas takes me to CL 16 (91 HP, 29 SP). My frost bolt spell is now down to 5% fail chance, my maximum level of mastery at this point, so frost bolt becomes my main attack. I find a long bow of power (x3) (+3,+15); my arrows of venom now do 62.1/124.2 damage/round. Finding a stack of Identify Rune scrolls, I learn my sandals are slow descent. With 12 STR, I can't carry too much. My main gauche is useless anyway, so I drop it to lighten my load by 3 lb.

Pete Mack January 28, 2019 17:21

I dunno about dropping that dagger. Did it have See Invisible? That is hugely important.

Grotug January 28, 2019 18:37

I'll give you my +4 INT Bastard Sword of Bregol for your main gauche. Ohh... nevermind, I forgot my Half-Troll Warrior died to a poison attack by a 7 headed hydra.

Wanderlust January 28, 2019 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 135670)
I dunno about dropping that dagger. Did it have See Invisible? That is hugely important.

Good point! I hadn't considered that, because I just assumed that if I couldn't immediately detect the effect of the rune, then it couldn't be very important for a non-melee @. Now I see dropping the dagger was a mistake ... one of many, I'm sure.

Wanderlust January 28, 2019 21:04

L13. 3-?. A cave bear takes me to CL 17 (94 HP, 31 SP). There's a staff of mapping in the bear's room, so I drop my shield to carry it without a speed penalty. I could really use a little more STR at this point, 12 just isn't cutting it.

Golfimbul and Lagduf are both here, with teams of hill orcs and snagas respectively. Golfimbul falls to 3 arrows (sadly, he resists venom) and 4 magic missiles, dropping a spear of slay demon (useless to me), a heavy crossbow of power <+4> (+10,+17) which is tempting but it weighs 20 lb so no, and a long bow of accuracy (+15,+10) which might be an interesting alternative to the long bow of power I'm wielding now, considering how I seem to miss as many times as I hit. Well, there's no substitute for experience, so I trade bows just to find out which one is better. I test it out on the remains of Golfimbul's hill orc team and the bow of accuracy hits a lot so I keep it. The hill orcs drop a ring of lightning [+8] which I swap for my ring of protection, which drops my AC down to 35, but in compensation it gives me an 85-damage ball attack.

Lagduf falls to 2 arrows of venom and 3 magic missiles, dropping only a useless cutlass, but one of his snagas drops what I'm sure must be a lantern of true sight, since it grants pBlnd and see invisible, the latter especially very welcome right now.

L14. 3-2. I kill a whole row of cave orcs in a hallway with 2 spears of light, and they drop an amulet of infravision <+1>, which I choose to wear instead of my amulet of resist acid. Fighting cave orcs, I gain CL 18 (99 HP, 33 SP).

On the floor in a chessboard room, I find a copy of Incantations and Illusions, the 3rd spell book. I learn Satisfy Hunger, Turn Stone to Mud, Polymorph Other, Identify Rune, and Slow Monster.

L15. 3-4. I reach CL 19 (102 HP, 35 SP) while fighting Orfax, son of Boldor's yeek entourage. I hit Orfax with 4 frost bolts and he dies, dropping a See Invisible scroll and a pair of boots, neither of which interest me.

L16. 3-3. I wander around, learn Fire Bolt, and go down the stairs.

L17. 3-1. A small pack of light hounds bring me to CL 20 (109 HP, 37 SP). I spot Nar the Dwarf sleeping in a large room with various dungeon vermin. He wakes up at an awkward moment and I teleport—landing right next to Ulfast, son of Ulfang and a small team of easterling warriors. 10 frost bolts kill Ulfast, who drops a set of gauntlets of agility [3,+10] <+2>. Nice, but I'm sure the gloves of free action I'm wearing are better.

I find a leather shield of resist fire [8,+4] and equip it. To manage the weight I drop my 4th copy of Magic for Beginners and all my remaining phase door scrolls.

Fighting a nest of forest trolls, I reach CL 21 (114 HP, 38 SP). Before leaving the level, I re-engage with Nar, but I quickly realize I can't seem to damage him fast enough to kill him before he heals himself. I teleport away and hope to meet Nar again later, when I have more power.

L18. 3-?. On the floor I find a ring of the mouse (0,-11) <+1,+4> and wear it as an upgrade, discarding my old ring of the mouse. This improves my stealth rating to "superb". A cutpurse drops a robe of resist cold [2,+7] and I take it as a swap over my leather armor of resist cold, which drops my AC 6 points to 37, but also frees up 6 lb of carry capacity.

I spot Brodda the Easterling squatting in a corner and dispatch him with 6 frost bolts. He drops a pair of steel shod boots [7,+5] but they're heavy and I don't really need AC.

L19. 4-2. A team of black ogres takes me to CL 22 (120 HP, 40 SP). My fire bolt is now down to 6% fail rate, ready to use. I learn Reveal Monsters, which I'll begin using, especially on more dangerous-smelling levels.

L20. 7-4. I meet Mughash the Kobold Lord with his support squad. Mughash dies after taking 4 frost bolts. His drop is a quiverful of (+5,+1) bolts, useless to me. As I explore this level, I don't see much to explain the dangerous feeling until I come across an ant pit, which I avoid. A brigand takes me to CL 23 (124 HP, 42 SP). Fire bolt now becomes my main attack, with 5% fail rate.

L21. 7-7. I spot a naga pit near my entry point and decide it looks like a worthwhile target considering nagas drop treasures and are hurt by cold. I kill a bunch of nagas until things get out of hand, then I get chased around the level by a couple spirit nagas until I teleport away—landing right next to Ufthak of Cirith Ungol and his support team consisting of 8 black orcs and 5 cave orcs. 7 fire bolts kill Ufthak, who drops nothing worth mentioning. Finally I return to finish off the naga pit. One of the nagas drops a potion of intellect, which tragically reduces my strength to 11. Another drops a pair of leather gloves of free action [1,+8], which I take as a slight upgrade to the similar gloves I'm wearing. A ninja takes me to CL 24 (128 HP, 46 SP).

This level also has two mini-vaults, both lightly guarded and easily cleared. The first mini-vault contains a mattock of earthquakes that grants +2 strength, but it weighs 25 lb, which more than offsets the bonus. The second mini-vault contains a spear of *slay troll* (+12,+9) <+1> which I wield, as it gives a very slight net bonus to carry capacity after all is said and done.

Wanderlust January 30, 2019 06:53

L22. 2-2. On the floor I find a long bow of power (x3) (+7,+15), which I take as an upgrade to the long bow of accuracy I've been using since L13.

L23. 5-3. A potion of intellect found on the floor raises my INT to 18/50 and pings my DEX. SP rise to 49 and minimum spell fail rate drops to 4%. An easterling champion drops a potion of toughness, which increases my CON to 17 and reduces my DEX yet again, which I don't mind at all. HP rise to 134. Yet another potion of intellect lowers my CON back to 16, dropping HP back to 131, but increasing INT to 18/89 and SP to 76. Before descending, I learn the remaining spells from Incantations and Illusions: Lesser Recharging and Acid Bolt (now down to 5% fail, making it quite practical). An elven priest takes me to CL 25 (131 HP, 76 SP).

L24. 5-?. Carry weight is a major annoyance at this point; I'm discarding CLW potions one by one as I find new items. Camped out near the entrance are Angamaite and Sangahyando of Umbar, and separately Lugdush with a bunch of uruks, orc captains, half-orcs, wargs, and other nasties. I also find a rod of treasure location on the floor of a double-cube room near my entry point; exploration will be a lot easier now.

Lugdush is encamped in a complicated special room and I work my way in, killing his minions as I go with bolts of frost, fire, and acid. Along the way I find a stack of CCW potions and I discard the last of my CLW. Now I'll have to find something else to throw away unless I want to be slow. A few well-placed stone to mud enchantments open a corridor between me and Lugdush; he takes 11 acid bolts in the chest as he runs toward me, then he drops junk only. I foolishly awaken Angamaite before recovering SP, so I teleport into an empty room at the opposite corner of the level.

Angamaite meets me in a hallway as I'm working my way back. He confuses me twice, but 2 phase doors and 13 acid bolts later he's running for his life and I finish him off with a single magic missile. He drops a scythe and a good iron crown, but these items are useless for me.

Back to the room where Sanghayando is still hanging out; 1 phase door and 15 acid bolts kill him. He drops only junk.

L25. 4-2. I find a scroll of remove curse and remove the worst of the 3 curses on the sandals of free action I've been carrying since L8. Are they still worth keeping? I think so, because I might need another source of free action in case I find better gloves. A team of black orcs are my ticket to CL 26 (133 HP, 79 SP).

Khim, son of Mim is in a strangely-shaped room. I open a corridor toward him with stone to mud and blast away. It takes 27 acid bolts to kill him because he keeps healing himself, but he can't hurt me except for one disenchant attack on my spear. His drop: junk.

Mim's other son, Ibun, is waiting nearby. He hits me with 2 fire bolts, but I hit him with 16 acid bolts and he's dead, dropping a pair of good boots, which I don't need.

To save on weight, I drop the sandals of slow descent sandals I've been wearing. Those cursed sandals of free action are still in my pack.

L26. 4-1. My 4th spell book, Sorcery and Evocations, is found lying on the floor. Its contents are mostly too advanced for me right now, so I add it to my pack without actually learning the spells, except Haste Self, which will be useful even with a 47% fail rate. To compensate for the weight of the book, I drop my long bow and its ammo.

Adam January 30, 2019 09:46

Although it's boring, but you can stash some of your items somewhere and explore the level carrying less stuff to avoid speed problems. Then pick up the rest before taking the stairs. You probably don't need all the copies of the books, all the staves of mapping, all potions etc. This also makes them safe from burning/shattering. Items with unknown runes are also worth carrying down if your inventory is not full (at your level you already have the spell, so not relevant for this game but in general). The risk is that you fall into a trap door or a monster teleports you from the level so don't leave critical objects on the floor.

Wanderlust January 31, 2019 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 135760)
you can stash some of your items somewhere and explore the level carrying less stuff to avoid speed problems. Then pick up the rest before taking the stairs.

That's exactly what I should have done, but I never thought of it because in both life and Angband I tend to ignore short-term optimization strategies. Thanks for pointing this out, next time in a situation like that I'll just stash the bow and ammo next to the stairs, the same benefit without actually losing the stuff.

PowerWyrm January 31, 2019 08:27

I never do that because 1) there are trap doors and 2) you can ID by use Teleport Level and 3) sometimes you need to bail out of dangerous situations without having the time to go to stairs and 4) I would probably forget what I drop half of the time :)

Wanderlust January 31, 2019 08:34

L27. 4-3. A mage drops a potion of brawn, STR goes up to 13, WIS suffers, lucky.

L28. 5-5. A small and weakly-defended vault takes me to CL 27 (136 HP, 82 SP). Interesting treasures inside: a pair of randart amulets and a pair of Arkenstones, each set with partly overlapping properties.

The first amulet: the Jewel of Alfindair grants +3 STR, +2 infravision, +1 light, resists lightning, fire, cold and sound, slow digestion, and free action. 16 STR will help a lot with my weight problems. The second amulet: the Amulet of Eredrie with +3 intelligence, +4 wisdom, acid immunity, resist fire and free action. Interesting choice. Boiling it down, at the moment I need strength, but in the long run +3 INT might be worth more. I wear Alfindair and put Eredrie into my pack.

Next, the Arkenstones. the first is 'Ciredhron', which offers 3 light, +3 constitution, resist fire and has a great activation which maps the whole level, sensing objects. Next to it is the Arkenstone of Aranen, which gives 3 light, +3 wisdom, sustains STR, and has the exact same activation. Well, WIS does very little for me while +3 CON increases my HP almost 20% to 163, so Ciredhron goes around my neck while Aranen remains on the floor where I found it. Only problem is, by switching light sources I can no longer see invisible. So I keep my true sight lantern in my pack. This "mini-enlightenment" activation is going to make exploration a lot easier and safer from now on, and free up inventory.

After the dust settles, I learn Teleport Other, which is now down to 33% fail rate, low enough to be useful in some situations.

Beorn the Shape-Changer is hanging out with a bunch of grizzly, cave, and were-bears, but I meet him as he runs to greet me while I'm exterminating a room full of black ogres and lemures. 1 speed potion, 1 fire bolt and 31 acid bolts kill him. He drops only a useless lochhaber axe.

Before leaving, I take advantage of my increased strength by picking up a short bow of power (x2) (+3,+15) to replace the long bow I dropped 2 levels ago.

L29. 3-6. This is a mini-maze level and Boldor, king of the yeeks, is hanging out near my entry point with a squad of master, brown and blue yeeks. I back into a corridor to minimize the yeek summoning and dispatch Boldor with 7 fire bolts. He drops the set of leather gloves 'Niangion' (+1,+2) [1,+11], which give +1 light, and resist light and poison. They'd be great, but they seem to mess up my casting a little too much, so on the floor they stay.

L30. 9-7. Omens of death haunt this place; Alfindair's activation shows why: 2 decent-sized vaults on this level.

The smaller vault consists of 4 independent chambers. The toughest monsters inside are a doombat and a young red dragon, so it looks like easy pickings. Inside I find studded leather armor of resistance (-1) [12,+5], which I put on since rAcid hasn't been covered until now, and a potion of toughness that raises my CON to 18/20 and HP to 170 while pinging WIS.

On the way to the larger vault, I find a brawn potion on the floor: STR now 17, WIS pinged again, down to 8.

The larger vault has a wide open area and 8 small chambers. 4 nexus hounds guard the entrance, so I open a side entrance. The hounds die to acid bolts. In the process they manage to breathe on me several times, but nothing really bad seems to happen. How dangerous are these things really? I have no clue. Is permanent nexus stat scramble still a real thing in Angband?

Inside the vault, a young multi-hued dragon drops a potion of STR which brings my STR to 18/21. Now we're talking. A potion of brawn takes my STR up to 18/44 but pings INT, lowering SP to 68. A chaos drake drops the leather gloves of Aragon [1,+24], which give +2 WIS, +4 DEX, and rElec. Honestly I prefer my gloves of free action, so I leave these. The toughest defender of the vault is Thuringwethil, the Vampire Messenger. I haste self, line up, teleport him away. In his chamber is a large metal shield of Elvenkind [12,+13] with +1 stealth and resists to all 4 base elements and nexus; an excellent upgrade to my shield of resist fire.

When the dust settles, I realize somewhere along the way I achieved CL 28.

L31. 8-6. I enter right next to a a large "crown-shaped" vault filled tough things like an AMHD. Avoiding this for now, I check out the rest of the level. A young blue dragon drops a potion of strength, which takes my STR to 18/62.

The vault actually isn't so tough; I'm able to kill everything with a combo of haste self and various elemental attacks except a cloud giant and the AMHD, which I teleport away. In the vault:

a) the jewel 'Siandi': +4 constitution, resist light and poison, protects from fear and blindness. I'd leave it here since I already have 2 more interesting randart amulets, except for the fact this is my only source of rPois right now. In the pack it goes, along with the other.

b) a fur cloak of the Magi [3,+11], +1 and sustains intelligence, +2 stealth. Wearing this brings INT to 18/89 and SP to 85; stealth is still superb. A keeper.

c) a morning star of *slay animal* that grants +2 intelligence, which I swap in place of the *slay troll* spear I've been carrying around; SP now 113.

d) a copy of Resistances of Scarabtrices. I learn Resist Cold, Resist Fire, Resist Poison, and Resistances.

e) a robe of resistance [2,+18] which is a straight upgrade to the studded leather armor of resistance I picked up just upstairs.

f) a short bow of power (x2) (+9,+25) which is a nice upgrade to the one I picked up a few levels ago, along with some arrows of venom (+8,+10). These arrows can now do 75.7/189.3 damage/round, my most powerful attack.

Sphara January 31, 2019 09:24

Nice Wanderlust! Keep it going! I like reading these journals. Your diary here inspired me to write one of my own. :)

I did choose Kobold Mage, added semi-aggressive diving to ironman challenge and started writing. Oh, and I did it in current developing version, where Mage has a somewhat different spell set.
Died in 2500 ft to a neekerbreekered master mystic, 100% my own fault, though bad luck was involved. My character was nowhere near as strong as yours. After like 2000ft, I could barely kill anything anymore. Just dive deeper and see how things turn out. Well, it ended to a master mystic's fist :D

You do have a great character there. Two Arkenstones by D:28! Even one of those artifacts basically nullify a need of any detection items besides for monster location (and for that you do have spells).

Wanderlust January 31, 2019 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphara (Post 135800)
Nice Wanderlust! Keep it going! I like reading these journals. Your diary here inspired me to write one of my own.

That's great! I hope you have a great time with it. So far this has been making my experience with Angband more fun and rewarding, though slower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphara (Post 135800)
I did choose Kobold Mage, added semi-aggressive diving to ironman challenge and started writing. Oh, and I did it in current developing version, where Mage has a somewhat different spell set.
Died in 2500 ft to a neekerbreekered master mystic, 100% my own fault, though bad luck was involved. My character was nowhere near as strong as yours. After like 2000ft, I could barely kill anything anymore. Just dive deeper and see how things turn out. Well, it ended to a master mystic's fist

Too bad! When you could barely kill anything at 2000 ft, you dove deeper quicker? That's exactly when I would probably have been exploring every nook and cranny, looking for any little edge.... Is that kind of a "double or nothing" strategy?

Wanderlust January 31, 2019 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grotug (Post 135672)
I'll give you my +4 INT Bastard Sword of Bregol for your main gauche.

Well, I had to drop that main gauche, although it was a nice one ... would you be interested in a morning star of *slay animal*?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grotug (Post 135672)
Ohh... nevermind, I forgot my Half-Troll Warrior died to a poison attack by a 7 headed hydra.

Ouch! Hydras can be really dangerous.

Grotug January 31, 2019 16:28

I had 193hp so I guess he *just* killed me. I often forget how dangerous 7 headed hydras are. I've died from that monster many times. You'd think I'd learn!

Things are certainly looking up for your mage, there! If I's was you, I'd swap in the +4 CON/rPois amulet over the +3 STR one. Do you become overburdened if you do that? Dying to Drolems, AMHDs and Greater Basilisks is a thing you know. :P

Derakon January 31, 2019 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 135792)
I never do that because 1) there are trap doors and 2) you can ID by use Teleport Level and 3) sometimes you need to bail out of dangerous situations without having the time to go to stairs and 4) I would probably forget what I drop half of the time :)

I have absolutely done this. Indeed I have flat-out forgotten my stash and just merrily climbed down the stairs, only to immediately realize I just lost a lot of useful consumables.

Sphara January 31, 2019 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderlust (Post 135813)
Too bad! When you could barely kill anything at 2000 ft, you dove deeper quicker? That's exactly when I would probably have been exploring every nook and cranny, looking for any little edge.... Is that kind of a "double or nothing" strategy?

I wanted to try a low turncount in addition to ironman challenge. I had high enough stealth to manage but my HP and offenses were just not good enough. Also the death scene was a very sloppy play.

I did post the morgue here. I can post the journal in other thread too if somebody really wants to read bad english and few curse words :)

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22274

Adam January 31, 2019 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grotug (Post 135821)
I had 193hp so I guess he *just* killed me. I often forget how dangerous 7 headed hydras are. I've died from that monster many times. You'd think I'd learn!

Things are certainly looking up for your mage, there! If I's was you, I'd swap in the +4 CON/rPois amulet over the +3 STR one. Do you become overburdened if you do that? Dying to Drolems, AMHDs and Greater Basilisks is a thing you know. :P

Well, when someone has 136 HP-s (or a few more with the 1 more CL as he wrote), AMHD and Greater Basilisk are bad news anyway and biggest problem is probably not thinking about the poison resistance :)
The point is valid, but as a mage you simply need to detect and always need to know what you will face (and you can switch if needed). At that depth/HP combo there are more monsters i try to avoid if possible (i hate ethereal drakes...).

Wanderlust February 1, 2019 08:18

L32. 5-2. Shagrat the Orc Captain takes 6 frost bolts and drops a ring of speed +8, a great replacement for my ring of lightning. A doombat takes me to CL 29 (182 HP, 117 SP). On the floor is an iron helm of intelligence [7,+9] <+1>, which brings INT to 18/119 and SP to 131. Before leaving, I learn Frost Ball, now down to 2% fail rate.

L33. 5-5. Nothing of interest here except a potion of constitution that grants CON 18/30, 189 HP.

L34. 5-8. A young black dragon drops the ball-and-chain 'Nindi' (+6,+17): slays undead, demons, animals, resist lightning and nether, protection from confusion and stunning, regeneration. Nice, but I prefer my +2 INT morning star, so I leave Nindi where the dragon dropped it. An ogre shaman drops 2 potions of intellect that ping my wisdom and dexterity, but increase my intelligence to 18/152 and my SP to 189, same as my HP, which I take as another good omen.

Draebor, the imp is waiting in a corner room with a few manes. He summons and teleports, but dies after taking 7 acid bolts. His drop includes the bastard sword 'Cirnilith' (+11,+15), which offers +1 intelligence, +3 infravision, +2 attack speed, free action, and a couple slays. I just can't see myself using this weapon, so I stubbornly keep my morning star of *slay animal*, which has +2 intelligence.

All that's left here is a large vault, packed with dark elves of all kinds, led by Nar. It doesn't seem to dangerous, so I just walk in. When Nar comes for me, I'm at +18 speed so I hit him with 7 acid bolts before he can really respond. His drop is just more dungeon junk.

But in the vault:

a) a potion of augmentation; constitution increases to 18/52, 203 HP.

b) a potion of toughness that pings wisdom and brings CON to 18/82, 240 HP.

c) a golden crown of the Magi: +1 intelligence, rBase, sustain intelligence, ESP. A straight upgrade from the +1 helm of intelligence I picked up a couple levels ago. ESP will help a lot from now on.

d) a potion of intellect that pings my strength and raises INT to 18/171, 218 SP.

e) the Phial of Braglin: 3 light, +3 wisdom, rDisenchant, free action. I'd take this if I didn't have the Arkenstones.

f) a +3 ring of intelligence. At this point, my stealth is still superb even without the ring of the mouse, so I ditch the mouse ring and take this one. This brings me to 18/201 INT and 233 SP.

L35. 5-3. Azog, king of the Uruk-Hai, and his kid Bolg are camped out with a whole bunch of mixed orc-types near my entry point. None of them resist acid nor have +18 speed. Azog takes 15 acid bolts but Bolg only takes 8. Their drop includes leather sandals of speed [1,+7] <+4>, excellent since my feet are currently bare. My base speed is now +12. This level is infested with bats of Gorgoroth; one drops a potion of constitution that takes me to 18/98 CON and 254 HP.

L36. 5-3. A pack of mumakil nets me over 12,000 experience and CL 30 (266 HP, 241 SP).

L37. 4-4. A cave level, all narrow twisty passageways. Lokkak, the ogre chieftain is sleeping right down the hall from my entry point with a large band of assorted ogres. I back up down the hallway, accelerate to +22, and let loose with acid bolts. It takes 25 acid bolts and 1 phase door to kill him. He drops the ring of Mindinim, which offers +2 DEX, +4 CON, +4 speed, resists lightning and shards, and free action. Is this better than my new +3 ring of intelligence? Yes, I think so. SP go down from 241 to 226, HP go up from 266 to 326, base speed goes from +12 to +16.

Gorbag, the orc captain takes 7 acid bolts and drops nothing I can use.

Wanderlust February 3, 2019 06:32

L38. 5-3. Lorgan, chief of the Easterlings is hanging out in a room with 6 easterling champions. Killing Lorgan is no simple matter. A little experimentation demonstrates he resists all my elemental attacks. He summons demons, vampire lords, wraiths, mature dragons, fast-breeding worms, and more. It takes 19 arrows and 37 magic missiles to kill him. His only drop is leather armor of resistance that's worse than the robe of resistance I'm already wearing. But killing all the things he summons takes me to CL 31 (334 HP, 233 SP).

L39. 5-4. Just passing through. Where are the stairs?

L40. 5-4. Nothing to report except potions of intelligence and constitution dropped by wandering monsters, that take my intelligence 18/171 to 18/176 and increase my constitution to 18/151. Now 365 HP.

An ancient green dragon reminds me that my amulet set-up is probably embarassingly suboptimal at this point, so I dump 2 randart amulets (Alfindair, a strength booster, and Eredrie, +3 INT) and wear Siandi for +4 CON and—finally—rPois. This improves my HP from 365 to 474.

L41. 5-4. A master yeek drops a copy of Raal's Tome of Destruction. I learn Shock Wave, Explosion, Cloud Kill, and Acid Ball. Perfect for engaging with the Queen Ant and her entourage, who are hanging out in a small room nearby. What with 4 new area-effect spells, multiple ant summons almost every turn, and teleports/chasing across the level, the resulting scuffle is too chaotic to keep track of who's getting hit with what, but eventually the Queen Ant dies. She drops the short bow of Silost (x4) (14,+30), which has +2 shooting power, resistance to acid, fire, cold, and poison, and paralysis prevention. Now I have a way to deliver real damage—for example, my arrows of venom now do 177.4/310.6 damage/round.

I come across a rapier of Gondolin and finally replace the morning star of *slay animal* (+2 INT) I've been carrying for the last 10 levels, just to have a permanent source of see invisible instead of carrying a lantern of true sight as a swap. My SP drop from 233 to 202 as a result. Honestly I'm not really sure whether or not this is a good choice. How important is see invisible when you have ESP?

Wanderlust February 3, 2019 11:48

L42. 5-4. A bunch of dreads are waiting near my entry point when I arrive. I'm a little careless with them, my strength takes 2 hits; suddenly I'm 17 lb overweight, and my base speed is "only" +15. But in compensation, 2 potions of constitution found on the floor bring my CON to 18/202 and my HP to 520.

I spot Rogrog the black troll in a large room with escort. 2 castings of stone to mud bore through a wall to create an extra-long attack corridor and hit him with 34 acid bolts while he charges toward me throwing boulders. He takes me to CL 32 (534 HP, 209 SP, STR restored), and drops some magic arrows, ammo for my new randart bow.

L43. 4-5. A tiny maze level with pack of dreads, tricky to deal with in these restricted corridors. Lucky I still have a few arrows of slay undead that do 303 damage/round. One of them drops a potion of intelligence that takes me to INT 18/161, 225 SP. Another drops the long sword of Eluin (+13,+23), which gives +4 stealth and rAcid; doesn't really seem like what I'm looking for, so I leave it behind.

L44. 8-6. Medusa the gorgon is sleeping just next to my entry point. I try to sneak away, but she wakes up and summons 9- and 11-headed hydras and an assortment of multicolored nagas. She also does serious damage with spell attacks. I teleport away and approach again from a different angle. This time I prepare a special space for the fight, which is a good thing because eventually I'm forced to retreat into an anti-summoning corridor. Medusa falls to 16 arrows and 5 frost bolts, but not before burning up a bunch of nice arrows and 2 of my spell books. She drops nothing of interest.

There's a small vault here, guarded by Khamul, the black easterling and a drolem, with friends. Khamul comes charging out of the vault and gets teleported away; I don't want to deal with him yet. Turns out the drolem isn't so dangerous when double poison resist is turned on; it dies after 25 frost bolts and 1 arrow. The only thing of interest in the vault is a potion of strength that takes my STR to 18/40 and boosts my carry capacity. Also, this vault takes me to CL 33 (549 HP, 232 SP).

L45. 5-2. At this point I'm relying heavily on stealth and stone to mud to sneak through the dungeon disturbing as little as possible, unless I choose to engage a particular target, such as the great crystal drake that fell easily to 8 arrows of venom and an acid bolt. Speaking of those arrows of venom, I'm now carrying 2 quivers of arrows, since archery is by far my fastest way to deliver damage.

Wanderlust February 3, 2019 11:53

I posted the character dump to the ladder: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22282

Sphara February 3, 2019 18:12

This is ridiculously beefy mage considering it is going through an ironman game. 549 HP at dlvl45 as a hobbit mage is almost hard to believe :D

I wouldn't carry Restore Life Levels potions with innate HoldLife. Also both constitution rings are junk atm unless you really feel you need to sustain CON. With character having this many CSW potions to back up CCW:s, I wouldn't carry rods of curing either. Finally, those higher 5-8 spellbooks are indestructible so no need to carry extra copies.

Your body armor could use improvement. You can totally wear heavier armor atm. You should also try attack wands. Wand of fireballs, for example, does ridiculous damage in hands of a hobbit mage. Can recharge it many times, because wands rarely explode from mage's recharge spell. Annihilation wand is a final-fight-wand for a mage.

Best of luck for incoming encounters :)

Adam February 3, 2019 18:42

The books can be stolen, so 2 of it is not too much in my opinion.
The weapon could also be changed to a better one, you were not lucky on that part. You could have found a defender which can add up to +4 stealth and the regen which you miss.
Sphara is right on the attack wands, they are really good ;)

Pete Mack February 3, 2019 19:42

Pretty sure Rogrog is immune to acid. And books getting stolen is almost impossible as mage at +16 base speed It has happened to me once, ever, as a normal-speed rogue. At +26 speed you will be faster than the only moderately dangerous thief.

Adam February 3, 2019 21:46

You are absolutely right about having books be stolen from a mage is not a usual thing (though it happened to me more than once :)).
However since the OP dedicates a slot to rods of probing in an IM game, i thought it is a good idea to point out this possibility.
Sometimes I also tend not to pay enough attention to some monsters which are not dangerous just annoying. So not only Harowen is dangerous to me from this aspect :D

MattB February 5, 2019 16:40

Once you achieve Dex of 18/50, I think I'm right in saying, it is flat out impossible to have anything stolen. I might be wrong about the exact number though...

Derakon February 5, 2019 18:17

It's 18/150, or was the last time I checked, which was admittedly many years ago.

Wanderlust February 6, 2019 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphara (Post 135919)
You should also try attack wands. Wand of fireballs, for example, does ridiculous damage in hands of a hobbit mage. Can recharge it many times, because wands rarely explode from mage's recharge spell. Annihilation wand is a final-fight-wand for a mage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 135920)
Sphara is right on the attack wands, they are really good ;)

That is very useful information, I had no idea. I've always squelched attack wands as soon as I got the equivalent spell book attack or better. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 135921)
Pretty sure Rogrog is immune to acid.

I thought 34 acid bolts seemed excessive! I was probably half-asleep when I fought him, it's a miracle @ survived.

Wanderlust February 6, 2019 16:29

L46. 7-4. Uldor the Accursed consumes 15 frost bolts. Scatha the Worm is killed by 6 arrows of venom soften and 10 acid bolts. He takes me to CL 34 (565 HP, 239 SP) and drops an artifact I don't like. Mim, betrayer of Turin seems to resist everything so I just kill him with 50 magic missiles.

L47. 6-5. A vampire lord drops a potion of augmentation that maxes both my strength at 18/50 and my intelligence at 18/170. Now I have 256 SP.

L48. 4-3. A tiny maze level, nothing of interest.

L49. 5-3. A vrock takes me to CL 35 (580 HP, 263 SP). Eol, the dark elf is hanging out here. It takes a couple hastily-crafted antisummoning corridors, 20 arrows, and 8 acid bolts to kill him. I lose lots of arrows because he and his summons keep burning them up. He drops the maul of Amion, which gives +2 strength, +3 intelligence, +4 dexterity, +1 light, resistance to acid, fire, cold, light, and shards, see invisible, and free action. Finally a helpful weapon: with this I have 18/200 INT, 281 SP, and 0% fail rate on my best spells. I learn a few spells I haven't bothered with so far: Fire Ball, Shield, Ice Storm.

L50. 6-7. On the floor is my new weapon, the mattock of Gilomast, offering +4 constitution, +8 speed, and see invisible. mostly this drops my INT back to 18/170 and my SP back to 263, while increasing my base speed to +24. Seems like a pretty good upgrade.

L51. 5-5. Itangast, the fire drake dies to 7 arrows of venom and 3 acid bolts. He drops a pair of +6 boots of speed, a minor upgrade for the +4 sandals of speed I've been wearing since L35; my base speed is now +26.

L52. 4-7. Nothing but a useless artifact on the floor.

L53. 6-5. It takes 3 arrows of venom and 23 acid bolts to kill Smaug the Golden. He takes me to CL 36 (599 HP, 271 SP). His drop:

a) Tenser's Transformations. I immediately learn Greater Recharging and Elemental Brand.

b) The alchemist's gloves of Methir. +2 strength, +3 intelligence, +3 wisdom, rLightning, regeneration, free action. I'm still wearing the gloves of free action that naga dropped on L21, so I take these. They raise my INT to 18/200 and my SP to 289.

L54. 5-5. Not much of interest here. Moving on.

L55. 5-6. Shelob, Spider of Darkness dies after taking 7 arrows of frost, 5 mithril arrows, and 13 fire bolts.

Tom, Bill and Bert the stone trolls are camped out here. Tom dies after taking 18 acid bolts, Bert takes 17, and Bill only 16.

It takes 43 acid bolts to kill Quaker, master of Earth and 10 mithril arrow and 18 fire bolts to kill Ariel, queen of Air. Adunaphel the quiet dies after taking 7 mithril arrows and 11 acid bolts.

A pack of mumakil takes me to CL 37 (615 HP, 297 SP). I learn Rift and Meteor Swarm.

On the floor I find the metal cap of Tandi, offering +5 intelligence, +4 constitution, resistance to acid, cold, dark and nether, see invisible, and free action. My crown of the Magi is still indispensable because it's my only source of ESP, but I put Tandi in my pack as a swap in case I need resist nether.

L56. 4-6. On the floor in the inner chamber of a triangle-shaped room is the iron helm of Wenath. It gives +5 intelligence, +4 wisdom, resists acid and chaos, protects from blindness, and ESP, my new helmet.

L57. 6-6. A master mystic drops a pair of steel shod boots of elvenkind with +4 stealth and +7 speed, a nice upgrade for the +6 sandals of speed I'm wearing. A little storage closet contains a copy of Mordenkainen's Escapes; I pick it up, dropping my teleport level scrolls to make room, and learn Door Creation, Stair Creation, Teleport Level, and Rune of Protection. Actually, I guess Stair Creation and Teleport Level are redundant at this point.

A vampire pit takes me to CL 38 (631 HP, 305 SP).

Wanderlust February 8, 2019 15:46

L58. 5-4. A tiny maze level, home to the Balrog of Moria. 6 arrows of venom, 3 of frost and 7 acid bolts kill it.

L59. 5-5. I kill Ar-Pharazon the Golden with 13 acid bolts, 11 seeker arrows of frost and 1 explosion.

L60. 3-3. A cave level. An ethereal drake takes me to CL 39 (649 HP, 313 SP).

L61. 5-4. Not much of interest here.

L62. 6-7. There's a small vault here; 3 time hounds and an AMHD get teleported away, everything else dies. Inside: the mithril gauntlets of Beolair. +3 infravision, fire immunity, resist cold and nexus, regeneration, and a 160-point frost ball activation. The gloves I'm currently wearing give +2 strength, +3 intelligence, resist lightning and free action. It's tempting to make the swap for the fire immunity, but losing that intelligence would drop my SP from 313 down to 234. I keep my current gloves.

L63. 6-7. A small vault, guarded by Ren the Unclean and Saruman of many colors. I teleport Ren out of harm's way for now; It takes 15 arrows of acid and one acid bolt to kill Saruman. He takes me to CL 40 (664 HP, 321 SP) and drops an amulet of trickery: +3 dexterity, +1 stealth, +5 searching, +5 infravision, +2 speed, resists poison and nexus, sustains dexterity. Up to now I've been wearing the jewel Siandi, found on L31. Siandi's most important property is the +4 constitution, but CON is well maxed even without it. Therefore switching to trickery is a straight upgrade. My stealth goes to 'heroic', base speed to +29.

Before I leave this level, Ren dies to 5 acid-brand arrows and 14 acid bolts, dropping nothing of interest except a slightly better robe of resistance that gives me 5 more AC points.

L64. 9-9. A decent-sized vault dominates the center of this level, chock-full of uber-powerful uniques.

In the non-vault part the level, Castamir the Usurper dies to 17 acid bolts, destroying a few potions in the process. He drops the leather shield 'Sulutureg': +1 light, +5 strength, resist all base elements plus light and dark. On the other hand I'm now using a shield of elvenkind that has +1 stealth and resist nexus. Sulutureg's +5 STR just doesn't make much difference but I don't currently resist light and dark. On the other hand, stealth is incredibly tactically important right now and I notice that +1 makes the difference between 'superb' and 'heroic'. I have no idea what that means in terms of the probability of waking things up, but it's clearly a good omen, so I discard the artifact and stick with my trusty shield of elvenkind.

Opening this vault is probably a bad idea. On the other hand, it's the kind divided into separate chambers, so hopefully I can control the situation.

I teleport away a Great Wyrm of Thunder; the Phoenix; the Cat Lord (5 times, she keeps coming back); Glaurung, father of dragons; a great swamp wyrm; Lungorthin, the balrog of white fire; a nightcrawler; Hoarmurath of Dur; Gothmog, high captain of the balrogs; and Khamul, the black easterling.

Ji Indur Dawndeath is killed by 8 mithril arrows of acid and 5 acid bolts. He drops the studded leather armor 'Elfaugros', which offers +2 wisdom, resists dark, sound and chaos, protects from blindness and confusion, and see invisible. I'm still wearing a robe of resistance, so this is a welcome upgrade. The weight of my armor begins to encumber my movement, but the only effect I can see from this is my SP drops slightly from 329 to 326.

Uvatha the Horseman dies after taking 4 arrows of acid and 5 acid bolts, dropping junk only.

Kavlax the Many-Headed gets hit by 8 arrows and 6 magic missiles.

Everything else inside dies, bringing me to CL 41 (683 HP, 329 SP). In the vault is a slightly better amulet of Trickery with an extra stealth point. How does stealth really work? Is it like constitution, where the very last points are the most powerful? Or is it more like speed, where there's no real benefit after a certain point?

Wanderlust February 9, 2019 09:29

L65. 7-4. Ulwarth, son of Ulfang dies. A vault full of plasma hounds takes me to CL 42 (701 HP, 334 SP).

L66. 6-3. I take a couple exploratory shots at Ungoliant the Unlight, but she's just too tough; I teleport her away and move on.

L67. 7-7. Wandering around, Harowen the Black hand dies after taking 34 acid bolts. Fundin Bluecloak has 5000 HP and resists everything; I decide not to bother him.

There's a small vault guarded by Ungoliant the Unlight, Glaurung, and Tselakus the dreadlord. After brief experimental engagements with Tselakus and Glaurung, all 3 uniques get teleported away, as well as Khamul (summoned). 2 multi-hued hounds also get teleported after they destroy a pile of treasures. There's only one thing here I really like: an elven cloak of the Magi with +2 intelligence, +4 stealth, +1 speed which is a straight upgrade to the cloak of the Magi I picked up on L31.

L68. 8-7. I attempt to tangle with the Cat Lord but her summons block my spells and she does lotta damage in melee, so I teleport her away again.

In a tiny vault, Vargo, tyrant of Fire, freezes and shatters after taking 19 cold bolts. Nothing of interest in the vault.

Tiny vault #2. Ungoliant gets teleported away, the Phoenix dies after 2 seeker arrows of frost, 6 seeker arrows of wounding, 27 frost bolts, although he gets me down to 32 HP before I duck around a corner to heal.

I notice there's been little of interest for a while now, but actually a lot of danger. I think it's time to start diving faster.

L69. 7-8. A potion of experience found on the floor takes me to CL 43 (718 HP, 344 SP).

Baphomet the minotaur puts up a tough fight. I hit him with 2 acid bolts and 10 arrows of venom before he whittles my HP down to the point where I'm forced to teleport him away. But I soon find him; he dies after taking 5 more arrows and 4 more acid bolts.

In a small vault, killing Dwar, dog lord of Waw requires 15 acid bolts, 1 fire bolt, 7 arrows of flame, 3 explosions. Ankhorahil the blind needs 4 arrows of flame 9 acid bolts. Hoarmurath of Dir 14 acid bolts, 10 arrows of flame, all administered while teleporting his various undead summons away. In the vault is a +10 ring of speed (base speed now 32) and enough stat potions to bring my DEX up to 18/169, I guess handy now that I'm using so much archery?

L70. 7-7. I arrive near 2 small vaults, with Ulfang the Black in my LOS. 13 acid bolts kill him. Omarax, the eye tyrant gets teleported away. I engage Glaurung, father of dragons, but it looks bad when he starts summoning, so away he goes. Ungoliant the Unlight gets teleported. Neither vault contains anything noteworthy.

L71. 5-5. At this point I must face the fact that exploring these levels is more likely to result in my early death, or at least destruction of valuable end-game consumables, rather than any significant power boost. I explore only briefly, then descend.

L72-76. 5-7. Exploring briefly, descending, pausing only briefly to kill Tselakus, the dreadlord with 16 mixed arrows and 19 acid bolts. I reach CL 44 (733 HP, 352 SP).

Adam February 9, 2019 11:56

You don't use meteor swarm or rift at all just acid bolting the uniques? If you are concerned about their resist (Fundin) or summons blocking your spells (Cat Lord) then maybe you could try these out. I know that acid bolt has higher damage/mana but these spells do 2.5x the damage in one round, both affecting multiple monsters and rift also having a chance for teleporting them.
You can calculate if your mana is enough to kill them, i think you can deliver about 4500-5000 hp damage with meteors if you have full mana (which means you need to replenish mana for the top 10-15 monsters if you want to kill them or also use archery/wands).

Wanderlust February 12, 2019 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 136073)
You don't use meteor swarm or rift at all just acid bolting the uniques? If you are concerned about their resist (Fundin) or summons blocking your spells (Cat Lord) then maybe you could try these out. I know that acid bolt has higher damage/mana but these spells do 2.5x the damage in one round, both affecting multiple monsters and rift also having a chance for teleporting them.
You can calculate if your mana is enough to kill them, i think you can deliver about 4500-5000 hp damage with meteors if you have full mana (which means you need to replenish mana for the top 10-15 monsters if you want to kill them or also use archery/wands).

Yes, I've started to rely on these spells since the last update, they are excellent!

Wanderlust February 12, 2019 08:05

L77. 7-6. Gorlim, betrayer of Barahir drops an interesting set of randart armor: the metal scale mail 'Morthor', which I take as an upgrade, though it's much heavier than my old armor. Basically this armor trade closes resistance gaps in light, nether and disenchantment, but opens a gap in sound. I lose protection from confusion but gain protection from life force drain. My stealth goes from heroic to legendary. I gain an inventory slot since I no longer need to carry a swap item for nether resistance. And I lose a few SP (from 352 to 337) because of encumbrance. I also drop a bunch of not-so-essential stuff to compensate for the extra 15 lb weight, but it'll probably still cost me a speed point or 2, which I don't think is a problem at this point.

Clearing an undead pit nets CL 45 (750 HP, 345 SP), an assortment of useful potions and scrolls to replace some of the ones that have gotten destroyed in fighting recently, and a new randart shield that provides a new source of confusion protection at cost of 1 stealth point.

L78-82. Little to see here, just passing through.

L83. 6-6. I kill Draugluin, sire of all werewolves with a barrage of archery and magic. Along with the hounds he summons, this takes me to CL 46 (766 HP, 359 SP). Maeglin, traitor of Gondolin dies to a combination of archery and Rift, dropping a useless randart.

L84. 6-7. A large vault dominates the middle of this level, very easy to clean this out with legendary stealth. Everything dangerous or annoying gets teleported away; everything else dies. I pick up a few attack wands, a few scrolls of *destruction*, a potions of experience, healing, restore mana, a few more speed rings that bring my base speed up to +38, hmm that seems almost excessive. What seem like swarms of high-powered uniques keep getting summoned in, but I teleport almost all of them away, especially ones that can destroy consumables, as they are too tough to kill in the confines of the vault. But I do kill a few: Thuringwethil with a combo of rift, meteor storm, and a little archery. Atlas the titan with meteor storm. Feagwath takes me to CL 47 (782 HP, 367 SP).

L85. 5-5. A time hound breathes on me, lowering all my statistics! Oh well, only 600,000 XP to go before the next level.

Khamul the black easterling dies to a barrage of arrows and one Rift.

L86. 7-9. There's a wonderful little vault here with individual compartments so I can let the monsters out one at a time. I kill Fundin Bluecloak and Pazuzu, lord of air. I put on the band of Einendor (dropping a speed ring), which has a whole spectrum of stat bonuses and resistances, capped by fire immunity.

L87. 6-6. Kronos and Polyphemus are both waiting in a small treasure room near my entry point. Kronos has frost breath so I avoid engagement, but Polyphemus dies quickly. A red dragon pit brings me to CL 48 (799 HP, 375 SP).

L88. 6-7. Waldern, king of Water is killed easily but destroys a few healing potions.

A spiral vault. It's very easy to walk through, clearing entire corridors with a single Rift spell.

Osse, Herald of Ulmo nearly kills me with a nether bolt that takes me down to 70 HP. Since I resist nether, I was not expecting this and still don't quite understand how it happened. Anyway I managed to teleport him away, heal, then kill him when he came back.

I leave the Tarrasque alone because of its potion-destroying frost breath, but kill the Mouth of Sauron with meteor swarms, rift, and archery.

Adam February 12, 2019 16:11

Damage reduction is random between certain limits in case of high resists. As i remember in worst case only 1/7 of the damage is resisted (at least in 4.1.3, i remember seeing a proposal of this being changed on the feature branch).
Edit: if you don't want to switch from the iFire band you can drop the extra books (15 lbs less to carry).
Your ring in the backpack also looks nice... wielding that instead of the RoS would still leave you at base 20 (30 if hasted), and providing 3 immunities... iCold would help you to preserve potions. Also your helmet slot could be used for anything else if you find something.

Wanderlust February 12, 2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 136124)
Your ring in the backpack also looks nice... wielding that instead of the RoS would still leave you at base 20 (30 if hasted), and providing 3 immunities... iCold would help you to preserve potions. Also your helmet slot could be used for anything else if you find something.

That is very tempting. How much speed is actually enough?

Adam February 12, 2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderlust (Post 136126)
That is very tempting. How much speed is actually enough?

30 speed is enough against anything. Morgoth has that speed and you don't want to give him a chance to double move you (so you should not let haste self wear off if you have that setup).
Above 30 each point of speed gives you less benefit but I can't give you the exact formula.
You also want to have max int but as I see you could even take off the helmet and be at 18/***.

Pete Mack February 13, 2019 20:06

Stealth maxes at legendary--and no monsters will ever wake up. Stealth increases by a multiple of cube root of 3 with each point up until then. With legendary stealth, you can walk safely between a sleeping Huan and Tarrasque.

MattB February 15, 2019 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 136151)
Stealth maxes at legendary--and no monsters will ever wake up.

Gosh, never knew that. Thanks.

Wanderlust February 15, 2019 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 136128)
30 speed is enough against anything. Morgoth has that speed and you don't want to give him a chance to double move you (so you should not let haste self wear off if you have that setup).
Above 30 each point of speed gives you less benefit but I can't give you the exact formula.
You also want to have max int but as I see you could even take off the helmet and be at 18/***.

Great, thank you. These hints allowed me to shuffle up my equipment very nicely, with +20 base speed, 3 immunities, and 1 more inventory slot.

Wanderlust February 16, 2019 17:22

L89-91. Little of interest here, I pass through quickly.

L92. 6-6. In a tiny vault I find the hard leather cap of Gulion, which is unremarkable except the fact it grants cold immunity, which enables me to engage Huan, wolfhound of the Valar without risking potions. However, it turns out it only works when you actually wear it. I learn this when he gets close to me and destroys 2 restore mana, 1 healing, 1 life and 2 CCW all in a single round.

An undead pit brings me up to CL 49 (817 HP, 383 SP).

L93. 7-7. In the hallways, I kill The Lernean Hydra; Gothmog, high captain of the balrogs; and Omarax the eye tyrant. Amidst all the fuss, I reach CL 50 (831 HP, 391 SP).

I seriously consider leaving the level because it's gotten very dangerous with massive numbers of awakened and summoned monsters wandering around. There's still a small vault unexplored though, so I clear a path there with a lot of teleport other and inside I discover my last spell book, Kelek's Grimoire.

L94. 7-7. Having CL 50 and mass banish completely changes my attitude, in general I've transcended the need to kill things. And when I do want to kill things, it's a lot easier with Mana Storm. Carcharoth, the Jaws of Thirst and Qlzqqlzuup both die.

L95-98. It's an eerie feeling walking through the dungeons in absolute silence. Nothing wakes up. There's no need to kill anything. As I pass by, I pause only to kill a few uniques: The witch-king of Angmar. Glaurung, father of dragons. Ancalagon the black. Lungorthin, the balrog of white fire.

L99. 4-3. Wandering around looking for Sauron, I meet and kill the Tarrasque, Cantoras the skeletal lord, and Radagast the Brown.

When I finally find him, Sauron is super-easy to kill. Mana storms and a bunch o' banishing.

L100. 7-?. Morgoth doesn't really have a chance. No need for destruction, anti-summoning corridors, or really tactics of any kind. I just hit him with mana storms, banish or teleport away whatever he summons, heal or teleport him temporarily away when I need some breathing room. He dies. My quest is complete.

Grotug February 17, 2019 00:12

It is my humble belief the game should start out easy, become progressively harder, and by the time you are on DL90 and deeper and CL50 it should be dangerous and ... not easy. But I have been playing the new Angband a little bit, and it's definitely a lot harder. (I die much easier in new angband than the latest official release. I have yet to even make it to the midgame).

Adam February 17, 2019 11:15

Congrats ;)

Side node: Since you were wearing the Ring of Armen you did have iCold. I would assume Huan destroyed your potions with a shards breath.

I agree with Grotug, but I think in all fantasy games mages become more and more powerful as they progress. In Angband 0% fail banish and TO makes the late game less interesting. Maybe magic resistant/immune monsters or anti-magic locations (vaults/special rooms) would make that change.

MattB February 17, 2019 13:54

Gratz on your win, Wanderlust! And nice write-up too.

Wanderlust February 18, 2019 16:10

Thanks to all who provided hints, tips, and encouragement. This was my second Angband win and first ironman win. But it was less satisfying than I thought it would be ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grotug (Post 136221)
It is my humble belief the game should start out easy, become progressively harder, and by the time you are on DL90 and deeper and CL50 it should be dangerous and ... not easy. But I have been playing the new Angband a little bit, and it's definitely a lot harder. (I die much easier in new angband than the latest official release. I have yet to even make it to the midgame).

This run became almost trivially easy at a certain point; there was very little danger after L50. I'm glad to hear the new Angband is harder, surely that will make the game better.

Pete Mack February 18, 2019 19:48

'Trivially easy' is likely a result of randarts. Yes, sometimes they make the game harder. But on average, they make it much easier.

PowerWyrm February 19, 2019 08:11

If you find regular Angband trivial, I suggest playing an online version which is real time instead. You'll find it... less trivial. :p

Wanderlust February 19, 2019 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 136269)
'Trivially easy' is likely a result of randarts. Yes, sometimes they make the game harder. But on average, they make it much easier.

I didn't know that, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 136276)
If you find regular Angband trivial, I suggest playing an online version which is real time instead. You'll find it... less trivial. :p

No version of Angband has ever felt easy (let alone "trivially") for me—I have hundreds of dead characters and only 2 winners including this one. But the last half of this run was different. By the time I had all the key resistances, was faster than anything else (base speed was 48 for a while), heroic/legendary stealth, and 0% casting including all the teleport flavors ... it seemed nothing could really hurt me unless I was stupid careless (which I was, several times, but got lucky).

Anyway, turn-based is what I love, but next time, I'll choose the latest dev build and standarts.