Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Idle chatter (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favorite recent music (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8345)

Pete Mack April 10, 2017 03:26

Favorite recent music

I don't much like what goes for pop music these days, but I recently discovered "alt country", which seems to do it. Spent today listening to Star Anna, Matthew Perryman, and Devotchka (which I actually discovered years ago.)
Anyone else have new favorites?

HugoTheGreat2011 April 10, 2017 03:31

I don't have any 'new' favorites. But, I do listen to quite a bit of heavy metal, a big-time staple in my videos - if you watched my playthroughs, you'd know what I mean! :)

My current all-time favorite bands with accompanying masterpieces:
Manegarm - En Fallen Fader
Kalmah - Heroes to Us
Ensiferum - Victory Song
Equilibrium - Blut Im Auge
Finntroll - Skogsdotter
King of Asgard - Brethren of the North
Amon Amarth -Twilight of the Thunder God

Pete Mack April 10, 2017 03:51

Does that mean you prefer axe-master characters?

T-Mick April 10, 2017 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 119820)
Does that mean you prefer axe master murder characters?

Yes, he does.

HugoTheGreat2011 April 10, 2017 04:18

Yes, surely. Though, I generally prefer the Sword wielding characters the most. Heck, there's a even a Folk Metal song called In My Sword I Trust by Ensiferum.

Since melee is the name of my game....there's also Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth

Pete Mack April 10, 2017 04:31

If you play ToME you can worship Eru to music:

In 'a gahden of Eden baby,
Don't you know that I love you-u-u-u
Don't you know that I'll always be true
duh duh duh-duh-duh duh duh duh
duh duh duh-duh-duh duh

HugoTheGreat2011 April 10, 2017 04:49

if you want a *TRUE* masterpiece for any kind of roguelike / RPG gameplay, go look up:
Ensiferum - The Longest Journey

Pete Mack April 10, 2017 11:13

One thing I've discovered, from YouTube playlists: Psychedelic rock is back. Pink Floyd is showing up unexpectedly, and there are a number of very new bands.
Junip
Dandy Warhols
The Walking Who
Church of the Cosmic Skull (who have the funniest band website I have ever seen.)

Of course trance music isn't all that different. "Dead Can Dance" would have fit in fine at Woodstock. Any Floyd fans should really be happy with the revival. Bit I wouldn't call it 'new'. It's very much retro.

BTW: if you DO want to find interesting new music, Seattle has a phenomenal streaming radio station: KEXP public radio. They are a major reason Seattle is on the map, musically. They have half hour live performances almost every weekl from touring bands who want to get the news out locally. Pearl Jam plays there often, natch. (And no, they are not new. They started in 1990.)

Estie April 10, 2017 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 119823)
If you play ToME you can worship Eru to music:

Don't you know that I love you-u-u-u
Don't you know that I'll always be true
duh duh duh-duh-duh duh duh duh
duh duh duh-duh-duh duh

If you ever wondered why the elves left middle-earth....:D

(j/k, I love that classic)

nikheizen April 11, 2017 06:25

Avec la soleil sortent de sa bouche's (sp?) new release, "Pas Pire Pop I <3 You So Much" is an eclectic masterpiece.

Clap! Clap!'s A Thousand Skies is some fantastically funky african inspired electronic stuff.

Sega Bodega's ESS B EP was a real surprise this year. Another EP I greatly enjoyed was DADRAS' Nature Boy EP.

I've also found a lot of enjoyment with Nicolas Jaar's Nymphs (the collection) and Sirens, which are both from last year.

For heavier stuff, I really enjoyed Gnod's new release "Just Say No the the Psycho Fascist Capitalist Industrial Death Machine" (lol), which is some delightfully drony punk.