Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Moments of "whoa" (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5915)

David B February 24, 2013 04:45

Moments of "whoa"

Not "woe", where you died unexpectedly, but "whoa" when you realize you did something possibly a little awesome.

Like encountering that Ancient White Dragon at 1600, and using only a potion of speed (ok, also armed with the Main Gauche of Maedhros, doing 5.8 attacks/rd), wiped him out without taking any significant damage.

Of course, I'm advancing downward *really slowly* so perhaps I should take this as a sign that I should maybe head down a little further...

David B February 24, 2013 04:50

And then, sitting in a pile of rubble, in a level that read "may not be much interesting here" is the Long Sword Anduril.

What, this old thing? No, not interesting at all.

Mondkalb February 24, 2013 07:49

Hey, that is the latest thing in Angband. Recently I dug away a pile of rubble on dlevel 5 or so and found the Phial.

Don't underestimate the power of the pebble! ^^

Chud February 25, 2013 19:27

If I remember correctly (and it's completely possible that I do not), things in rubble are generated at the time you dig them up, so they are not included in the level feeling calculation.

David B February 26, 2013 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chud (Post 77505)
If I remember correctly (and it's completely possible that I do not), things in rubble are generated at the time you dig them up, so they are not included in the level feeling calculation.

Like monster drops - makes sense. Still, a very pleasurable moment of "whoa".

fizzix February 26, 2013 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 77513)
Like monster drops - makes sense. Still, a very pleasurable moment of "whoa".

In later versions, the monster drops are created at the level beginning but they don't impact the level feeling. I'm not sure about rubble items and chests though, I think they are still created at digging/opening.

David B February 26, 2013 17:05

D'oh. What I meant to say was "Drops from monsters that appear after you've been on the level for too long." Which I think are not computed into the level feeling.

Anyway, awaiting new moments, since a pack of Gravity Hounds did in this last character.

robbiodobbio February 27, 2013 17:25

I also just found the phial on dungeon level 6 just lying on the floor. Whoa!

Cutestory February 28, 2013 08:27

Found a Ring of Speed <+9> lying on the floor on dlvl1 (50'). Whoa!

Mondkalb February 28, 2013 09:25

With the new game, you can try everything out, without having to fear too heavy drawbacks (except later on - there are still the curse armor and curse weapon scrolls ...).
In older versions of the game there were potions of stat drain and cursed items. I preferred to sell early items for id, wich led to some swearing over sold robes of permanences and such. ;)