Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What do you really think about *identify* in variants? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=1854)

PaulBlay May 10, 2009 22:56

What do you really think about *identify* in variants?

Identify scrolls tell you it's (+3, +5), but you don't know it's got aggravate until you *Identify* it. :confused:

I am currently re-constructing an old Angband variant and although I want to be quite true to the original version in most respects there's little point in bringing back *Identify* if everybody is going to hate it. So please, don't hold back, what do you really think about the old "two tier" identification system?

Donald Jonker May 10, 2009 23:15

I think all forms of identify are tedious and unnecessary (although Un makes a compelling case). So my position on *identify* in particular can be inferred. :)

I believe it's a fitting piece of fat to cut, with minimal loss to nostalgia.

Nick May 10, 2009 23:48

I got rid of *ID* from FA. However, I am now introducing a new system of curses which are not detectable by regular ID, so I've brought *ID* back. Mind you, you do learn curses by use; *ID* can just guarantee you haven't missed one.

Moral of the story, I guess, is you you need to think what purpose it's serving. Or that I'm fickle.

Nolendil May 11, 2009 02:03

Well, the first time I learnt how *id* worked, I found it was nice to keep some informations secrets and I found pleasure in waiting to discover the powers held by artifacts and ego items.
However, once you know the game better and start to haul dozens of ego items at each trip in the dungeon and only find one *id* scroll in the black market (if you find any), you quickly get tired of it.
So the pleasure provided by *id* lasts for only a very short time compared to the pain it gives later. If sources of *id* where common enough (and affordable) once you start finding lots of things that needs it (maybe around dlvl 25-30?), it might be acceptable.
Nevertheless, I don't miss them at all since they were removed from V.

Atarlost May 11, 2009 02:23

In ToME *ID* is commonly available from the alchemist and is a store service in some towns.

It's still obnoxious.

andrewdoull May 11, 2009 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Jonker (Post 18807)
I think all forms of identify are tedious and unnecessary (although Un makes a compelling case).

Un makes a compelling case for it being tedious and unnecessary?

Andrew

Donald Jonker May 11, 2009 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdoull (Post 18812)
Un makes a compelling case for it being tedious and unnecessary?

Un makes a compelling case for identify being, on the contrary, interesting and worthwhile. :)

...I have to say, though, that it's the only game that has ever made me think so.

buzzkill May 11, 2009 03:48

I chose option 3, though I feel egos should be ID'd by (standard) ID.
ID to ID almost anything.
*ID* only for extra info on artifacts and heavy curses.
Entorbands use of *ID*, throughly annoying.
That's my 2 cents (at least until someone comes up with a better idea).

Atarlost May 11, 2009 04:29

There's no point to *ID* for fixed artifacts. It's something that's only important to new players who don't read spoilers. *ID* for randarts is at least not pointless, but the limited availability makes it painful.

takkaria May 11, 2009 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBlay (Post 18806)
Identify scrolls tell you it's (+3, +5), but you don't know it's got aggravate until you *Identify* it. :confused:

I am currently re-constructing an old Angband variant and although I want to be quite true to the original version in most respects there's little point in bringing back *Identify* if everybody is going to hate it. So please, don't hold back, what do you really think about the old "two tier" identification system?

I don't like *ID*, but it seems a bit redundant posting it. Unless you make it useful and not irritating by its absence, keep it come. (I'd like to make ID a lot rarer too and make people test-by-use more, but that's a way off...)