Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No Sell - I am convinced (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4550)

dos350 June 21, 2011 20:19

i saw some blah blah about other monsters in room losing a turn if it were to be fixed,

please~ dont bother!

the conseqeunces that can happen are punishment for lozer!

Jazerus June 21, 2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 55543)
I thought everybody avoided being burned by Summon Monster (or Summon Undead) by making sure they were standing on a staircase before reading any untried scrolls. One day d_m will fix monster energy so that summons are guaranteed not to move before @ gets a turn, and then all will be fine ;-) (at the moment it only happens about 2-5% of the time anyway).

99% of the time I find Summon Monster quite early and it produces a centipede or something else innocuous, so I've never really developed the stairs habit. The 1% of times when I'm a bit deeper and still haven't found it are the ones that are (very, very occasionally) fatal, or at least harrowing.

Magnate June 21, 2011 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazerus (Post 55549)
99% of the time I find Summon Monster quite early and it produces a centipede or something else innocuous, so I've never really developed the stairs habit. The 1% of times when I'm a bit deeper and still haven't found it are the ones that are (very, very occasionally) fatal, or at least harrowing.

Wow, you are lucky. I developed the standing-on-stairs technique after losing dozens of chars to OOD monsters in the first few dlevs - baby dragons being particularly difficult for low level chars to get away from or defeat.

Max Stats June 21, 2011 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekolis (Post 55464)
Or do you mean that the volume of selling that a player does at a shop is greater than the volume of buying, so eventually the merchant would theoretically bankrupt himself with a large amount of unsalable stock? I suppose that can be explained by saying that the timed restocks of shops represent NPC transactions...

The timed restocks happen when a traveling merchant caravan happens though town. They buy all that valuable stuff that the shopkeeper bought from you, and he uses the proceeds to keep him stocked up on his essentials. Occasionally they happen by with a nice enchanted item for the keeper to stick into his stock. The Black Market guy just knows the best caravans to trade with, and bribes them to keep them from trading with the regular keepers, hence the need to charge the exorbitant prices he does.

Antoine June 21, 2011 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos350 (Post 55548)
i saw some blah blah about other monsters in room losing a turn if it were to be fixed,

please~ dont bother!

the conseqeunces that can happen are punishment for lozer!

MAGNATE here's your new sig. "PUNISHMENT FOR LOZER"

A.

Derakon June 21, 2011 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Stats (Post 55559)
The timed restocks happen when a traveling merchant caravan happens though town. They buy all that valuable stuff that the shopkeeper bought from you, and he uses the proceeds to keep him stocked up on his essentials. Occasionally they happen by with a nice enchanted item for the keeper to stick into his stock. The Black Market guy just knows the best caravans to trade with, and bribes them to keep them from trading with the regular keepers, hence the need to charge the exorbitant prices he does.

And the caravans are terrified of the townsperson-slaughtering PC, hence why the stores don't restock until you go into the dungeon!

Antoine June 21, 2011 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 55563)
And the caravans are terrified of the townsperson-slaughtering PC, hence why the stores don't restock until you go into the dungeon!

By the way, the Berserker in Quickband actually has to slaughter townsfolk

(To get his rage up so he can use his 'Shrewdness' ability to get better shop prices)

A.

dos350 June 21, 2011 22:42

excuse me, i feel i am being abused by this angband community! , and it hurts ~!~!~!

i raise serious issues, everytime u are thinking its a joke , please no rage~

Max Stats June 21, 2011 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos350 (Post 55568)
excuse me, i feel i am being abused by this angband community!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhXnZUCAu8c

(Oh, BTW-- ;))

Netbrian June 21, 2011 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazerus (Post 55465)
Shopkeepers buy for less than they sell for, and presumably they sell all the ego items you sell to them "off-camera" for a very large amount of money, making them by far the wealthiest people in Middle-earth.

It's a nice job if you can get it.

If I were a shopkeeper, I'd poison Potions of Life. Everyone saves them for the end anyway, and if Morgoth goes down, I'd be out of business.