Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   [Announce] PosChengband 3.5.0 Released (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7432)

wobbly September 29, 2015 07:16

If you're a doppelganger & you mimic a beastman & get polymorph, after polymorphing it still displays [beastman] on your character sheet. Eventually after polymorphing enough times the game crashed, at a guess I polymorphed in to a draconian & hit the draconian polymorph bug but I'm not sure.

Rydel October 4, 2015 22:35

I started playing this version, and I've been getting some odd rings. Do far, I have a Ring of Protection with no AC bonus, and a "Ring." I've identified both, but not *Identified* them. Do they do anything I'm not aware of?

debo October 4, 2015 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydel (Post 105101)
I started playing this version, and I've been getting some odd rings. Do far, I have a Ring of Protection with no AC bonus, and a "Ring." I've identified both, but not *Identified* them. Do they do anything I'm not aware of?

Yes, this is normal. Plain rings are used for reforges (also plain amulets), so those are good to collect. Rings of protection often come with no AC bonus, but may still have an elemental or status resist of some kind.

hjklyubn October 5, 2015 00:14

Unfortunately most of these ring (or amulet) properties don't show up unless the item is *id*ed. Basically think of every non-plain ring as a randart, except that the ring's item type restricts what attributes the ring can have. For example Rings of Protection get miscellaneous attributes like free action, see invisible, warning, etc. Rings of Elemental Protection get elemental resistances, and so on.

In town it's usually cheaper to price-*id* or sell-*id* rings than using the town service to *id* them, because of the fact (bug?) that ided objects always sell at their full value as though they were *id*ed. This means you can both get a pretty good idea of how good a ring is from its sale price, and also know about how much you will lose net to buy the ring back if it turns out you actually want it (the ring will be *id*ed automatically once you actually sell it). If you sell everything worth less than your current rings you'll save a lot of money even if you end up buying back a few useful rings. Of course if the ring sells for more than 10000 or so you probably want to spend an *id* on it!

For deciding what loot to bring back from the dungeon to sell, assuming you have no scrolls of *id*, you just have to guess based on how good the ring item type is on average...

Rydel October 5, 2015 02:14

Well, the selling tips won't help me, since I'm playing with No Selling. Turns out, this version has actual No Selling instead of sell for 0, so I can't sell ID.

While waiting for a response, I was trying out a Death Sword, and found myself dying really quickly. Any survival tips early on? Also, how can I become something stronger than a Broken Sword?

Thanks!

wobbly October 5, 2015 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydel (Post 105107)
Well, the selling tips won't help me, since I'm playing with No Selling. Turns out, this version has actual No Selling instead of sell for 0, so I can't sell ID.

Not sure if it works with rings but dropping items in the home often gives you there value.

debo October 5, 2015 03:05

No-selling in poschengband is garbage. It's really much better just to turn on selling.

HugoTheGreat2011 October 5, 2015 05:10

Yep, no-selling is not fun at all. If you find low-tier Rings of Speed...e.g., Ring of Speed (+1), you're in for nice big payoffs. ;)

MarvinPA October 5, 2015 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydel (Post 105107)

I made a quick and lazy fix for that a while ago for my own convenience, here. Probably more useful for quickly identifying consumables in the very early game rather than for *ID* on expensive things, though.

hjklyubn October 5, 2015 23:18

The real problem with no-selling in poschengband is that gold pile sizes aren't increased by nearly enough to make up for the lost income from selling loot: for which there is another mpa-poschengband patch https://github.com/MarvinPA/mpa-posc...9176bb044bc8da.