Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   [Announce] PosChengband 3.5.0 Released (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7432)

chris August 14, 2015 17:05

[Announce] PosChengband 3.5.0 Released

In case it isn't obvious, I no longer have Internet access at home. So, if something is really, really broken, your best option is to post an issue on the github site (I will miss remarks in character dumps and forum posts, though I'll do my best to keep up).

This doesn't mean I've stopped working on PosCheng. In fact, I just uploaded a new release. Alot has changed, and a full source diff is available, as usual. But some of the main highlights are:

* Draconians have been redesigned with subraces just like Demigods. They even get a special power at CL35. I added an in game helpfile to show the choices (available during the birth process).

* Tonberries have also been redesigned, and are absolutely crazy at the moment. But they have some big time drawbacks as well.

* I added spell damage. You'll see this on the various mage egos (rings, amulets, crowns).

* There is a new shop in Zul. You might want to check it out!

* The Craft Realm got some slight alterations. This is the absolute last time I'm changing it, I promise. Check out the Crafting spell. Also, it might not be obvious, but Elemental and Mana Branding both affect archery as well as melee.

* There is a new personality: Hasty

* Demigods have their skills adjusted depending on subrace. For example, Zeus is good at everything, Athena rocks with devices, etc.

* Character Dumps are improved with Monster Kill statistics and a count of random artifacts found.

There's more, and many minor game balance changes.

Enjoy, and please remember that releases will be much less frequent from now on.

Edit:
* Vampire Light Vulnerability is much more important these days. (The same applies to Ents and Androids).

Arjen August 14, 2015 18:24

Good to hear from you again Chris. :)

debo August 14, 2015 18:52

I am going to make a Hasty Ent. Posthaste.

krazyhades August 14, 2015 18:58

Ah, exciting new release! Thanks!

AnonymousHero August 14, 2015 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 103691)
I am going to make a Hasty Ent. Posthaste.

You should name it Hastur.

debo August 15, 2015 02:48

Note to returning players: if you pick a race with a "vulnerability", it won't show in your resists chart anymore because it works differently now.

Instead of just setting you back a pip of resistance, it nerfs any resists you accumulate in that category. So, you're never at -50% anymore, but it's hard to get a high resistance % in your weak spot.

HugoTheGreat2011 August 15, 2015 03:14

No matter how many times I fade into hiatus, these PosChengband updates never disappoint!! I'll have to give this 3.5.0 update a shot.

P.S. Debo, make the next compo based on PosChengband 3.50!

HugoTheGreat2011 August 15, 2015 05:18

Alright guys, I did some play testing. The v3.5.0 Draconians have a mega-bug that will crash the game if you're temp-polymorphed, e.g, Zombie and you press 'C' for the character sheet! [Note I was playing a female Crystal Draconian Chaos-Warrior named Hasta whose most stats were 18 or better, except for STR [17] and WIS [16]. :) I was polymorphed into different forms by that Variant Maintainer in the wilderness north of Outpost. After killing the dude, I thought it was time to get the chardump...and it didn't happen for now due to the annoying aforementioned bug!]

This is reproducible. But, I cannot do a chardump because my current temp-polymorph form (Yeek) crashes the Character Sheet screen (i.e., 'C' command)

So far, I only noticed this with the v3.5.0 Draconians. I cannot be sure that this mega-bug won't happen with the v3.50 Demigod subraces.

I already emailed Chris my v3.5.0 savefile + screenshot :)

As a workaround, I think it is possible to just wait for the temp-polymorph to wear off and then do 'C' and the chardump. I think I'll do that and attempt to post the chardump later. Or wait until chris fixes this awful bug ASAP!

The worst thing that can happen is to have high-level high-powered characters unable to have chardumps upon death due to this^ bug! ;)

getter77 August 15, 2015 12:57

Great to see another robust update---congrats and keep up the fine work even if the updates are on the side of every now and then!

HugoTheGreat2011 August 15, 2015 15:50

I already filed an issue about the v3.5.0 Draconian on PosChengband's github. Check it out!

On another note, a bug with Mimics/Possessors:
Most mimicked/Possessed forms tend to override birth-chosen-female genders with the male gender. And I'm referring to non-unique and non-naga monster forms! :)

wobbly August 16, 2015 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 (Post 103701)
Alright guys, I did some play testing. The v3.5.0 Draconians have a mega-bug that will crash the game if you're temp-polymorphed, e.g, Zombie and you press 'C' for the character sheet! [Note I was playing a female Crystal Draconian Chaos-Warrior named Hasta whose most stats were 18 or better, except for STR [17] and WIS [16]. :) I was polymorphed into different forms by that Variant Maintainer in the wilderness north of Outpost. After killing the dude, I thought it was time to get the chardump...and it didn't happen for now due to the annoying aforementioned bug!]

This is reproducible. But, I cannot do a chardump because my current temp-polymorph form (Yeek) crashes the Character Sheet screen (i.e., 'C' command)

So far, I only noticed this with the v3.5.0 Draconians. I cannot be sure that this mega-bug won't happen with the v3.50 Demigod subraces.

I already emailed Chris my v3.5.0 savefile + screenshot :)

As a workaround, I think it is possible to just wait for the temp-polymorph to wear off and then do 'C' and the chardump. I think I'll do that and attempt to post the chardump later. Or wait until chris fixes this awful bug ASAP!

The worst thing that can happen is to have high-level high-powered characters unable to have chardumps upon death due to this^ bug! ;)

From what I can tell this is worse if you play with the character sheet open in a term window. I now can no longer load my Drac who was fighting the variant maintainer.

Arjen August 16, 2015 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 103716)
From what I can tell this is worse if you play with the character sheet open in a term window. I now can no longer load my Drac who was fighting the variant maintainer.

You cant just close that window before you load your game? Or is that a too easy fix?

wobbly August 16, 2015 12:49

Tried that already.

HugoTheGreat2011 August 16, 2015 16:05

Now, that's bad...whether it's the Variant Maintainer or any temp-polymorphing monster. wobbly, you should email that "buggy" savefile to chris and see what he can do.

wobbly August 25, 2015 08:20

A minor bug with weak pseudo-id. I'm over lvl 35 so stepping on an ego immediately gives <excellent>. However if I get mind blanked when pseudo-id kicks back in it shows as <enchanted>.

Number Thirteen August 31, 2015 21:04

Is it possible to bring saves from an older version (3.4.5) into 3.5? Or is it time to start over?

debo August 31, 2015 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number Thirteen (Post 104014)
Is it possible to bring saves from an older version (3.4.5) into 3.5? Or is it time to start over?

Generally the smart thing to do is to just close out your character on your current release. You can always make a backup of your savefile and just try it on 3.5.

Number Thirteen August 31, 2015 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 104015)
Generally the smart thing to do is to just close out your character on your current release. You can always make a backup of your savefile and just try it on 3.5.

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick reply.

wobbly September 4, 2015 10:31

A couple of comments & a request.

The new Ent fire resistance makes it very hard to fire protect gear, not sure it's intended. My guess is it's going to take around 7 layers of rfire though I haven't got close enough to know for sure. In a way it makes sense as it's hard to protect your gear if you're on fire, but it does seem pretty harsh.

I've just checked & the (death) ego doesn't count as blessed for a death priest. My request is for this to be changed. Even better if it checks the 2nd realm as currently a chaos priest with a chaos patron can't actually use a chaos blade.

Flauterfiddle September 7, 2015 11:43

Thanks so much for another release! Absolutely my favorite variant.

An off-topic question about Possessors if anyone can help:

I'm currently running a low-level Naga Possessor. I notice this monster has slots for a weapon but when I wield something I get this attack only and lose the crush and spit attacks.

Is this intentional nerfing or a bug? Or do I simply require greater dex? Seems odd to lose spit because you're wielding a sword, though. Wearing a shield doesn't have any effect, for example.

Haven't tried using bows with a naga yet, but I assume this wouldn't affect melee attacks.

Arjen September 7, 2015 12:45

If you mimic/posses a naga and use weapons, the innate attacks are moved to the second page. I made a quick mimic to try it out, I've a sword and extra attacks with insane crappy stats. ;)

Code:

Hand #1: a Long Sword (2d5) (+0,+0)                        Accuracy
 Weight : 13.0 lbs                                          AC Hit
 To Hit : 0 + 3 = 3                                          25 74%
 To Dam : 0 + 4 = 4                                          50 51%
 Blows  : 1.66                                              75 29%
 Damage                                                    100  6%
 Crits  : 1.05x (3.8%)                                      125  5%
 Normal : 16 (9-23) [1.05x]                                150  5%
                                                            175  5%
                                                            200  5%

Attack : Your Crush (2d6)                                  Accuracy
 Weight : 20.0 lbs                                          AC Hit
 Profic : Unskilled (-20 To Hit)                            25 74%
 To Hit : 2 + 1 = 3                                          50 51%
 To Dam : 3 + 3 = 6                                          75 29%
 Blows  : 0.50                                              100  6%
 Damage                                                    125  5%
 Crits  : 1.06x                                            150  5%
 Normal : 6 (4-9)                                          175  5%
                                                            200  5%

Attack : Your Spit (1d8)                                  Accuracy
 Weight : 1.0 lbs                                            AC Hit
 Profic : Unskilled (-20 To Hit)                            25 10%
 To Hit : -18 + 1 = -17                                      50  5%
 To Dam : 0 + 3 = 3                                          75  5%
 Blows  : 0.50                                              100  5%
 Damage                                                    125  5%
 Crits  : 1.00x                                            150  5%
 Normal : 3 (2-5)                                          175  5%
 Acid  : 6 (2-9)                                          200  5%

Flauterfiddle September 7, 2015 13:37

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I found the extra weapons page but what I meant was, is that I don't actually get my special attacks any more. I can see the stats but when I combat monsters, I only use the wielded weapon.

I just get 2x hits and that's it. No crush, no spit (with a naga).

Or is that as intended?

wobbly September 7, 2015 15:55

Are mimics meant to get in-built restore life? If I'm drained by a black while mimicing I get the xp back when I return to true form.

Arjen September 7, 2015 22:24

@Flauterfiddle

Hmm, that's new. They did get those attacks in older versions, no idea if it was intended as a nerf.

@wobbly

They always have had that... It's a great 'power'. :)

krazyhades September 7, 2015 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flauterfiddle (Post 104213)
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I found the extra weapons page but what I meant was, is that I don't actually get my special attacks any more. I can see the stats but when I combat monsters, I only use the wielded weapon.

I just get 2x hits and that's it. No crush, no spit (with a naga).

Or is that as intended?

Yes, this was an intended nerf

Flauterfiddle September 8, 2015 07:16

Thanks for the replies -- figures, I guess.

Still love the Possessor class, the fact you can play uniques is just hilarious fun.

Arjen September 8, 2015 07:52

If you want to play with a lot of different types, play mimic. You can mimic everything you see, but forget the form most of the time a few turns after you loose sight of it (or kill it).

krazyhades September 9, 2015 01:33

clarification: You can still use a possessed form's inherent attacks, just not while wielding a weapon

HugoTheGreat2011 September 9, 2015 03:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyhades (Post 104267)
clarification: You can still use a possessed form's inherent attacks, just not while wielding a weapon

^ In the pre-3.0 days Giants used to be able to shatter AND use weapons at the same time...until chris saw me taking advantage of that once wholly overpowered dual-melee-ability. :D

Avenger September 9, 2015 03:44

Huh. I've been playing 3.5.0 since May, and it just now has a release announcement?

Edit: Derp. I've been playing 3.4.5 since May. Disregard me, I shall download immediately.

wobbly September 10, 2015 05:02

Got round to playing a blood knight & the targeting on blood spray behaves oddly. If I haven't targeted an enemy it balls around me without asking for a target. If I target an enemy 1st it balls around them. Only discovered I can use it at range by accident.

Quick question, does regen stack? Will a half troll blood knight get double regen?

krazyhades September 10, 2015 05:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 104305)
Got round to playing a blood knight & the targeting on blood spray behaves oddly. If I haven't targeted an enemy it balls around me without asking for a target. If I target an enemy 1st it balls around them. Only discovered I can use it at range by accident.

Quick question, does regen stack? Will a half troll blood knight get double regen?

Yeah, this is a bug I've noticed as well, able to target Blood Spray from range when you shouldn't be able to.

Yes, regen stacks, but it also increases hunger stacking. Not sure if it's a doubling.

krazyhades September 10, 2015 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 (Post 104269)
^ In the pre-3.0 days Giants used to be able to shatter AND use weapons at the same time...until chris saw me taking advantage of that once wholly overpowered dual-melee-ability. :D

yeah I was thinking of mentioning that the nerf was your fault but decided against it :P

caruso September 16, 2015 19:51

Are there magic schools that allow you to buff or heal your allies? I know you can also spoiler: throw potions and use wands of Haste Monster etc., /spoiler but I'd like to have a more reliable source.

krazyhades September 16, 2015 23:57

Trump realm gives access to summons, Haste Monster and Heal Monster, and gives you a spell that swaps your position with a monster's. Crusade has some summons but its buffs are all self-only. Demon, Necromancy, and maybe others can turn their pets into magical suicide bombs.

wobbly September 17, 2015 02:02

Magic eaters have heal, haste & animate.

HugoTheGreat2011 September 17, 2015 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyhades (Post 104308)
yeah I was thinking of mentioning that the nerf was your fault but decided against it :P

I also noticed that Mimics (probably Possessors, too) now no longer get a Ring of Combat upon completion of the Wargs quest. I guess chris had it with me posting chardumps with me getting Rings of Combat with > 10 on its damage modifier. :D

krazyhades September 17, 2015 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 (Post 104541)
I also noticed that Mimics (probably Possessors, too) now no longer get a Ring of Combat upon completion of the Wargs quest. I guess chris had it with me posting chardumps with me getting Rings of Combat with > 10 on its damage modifier. :D

That I think was in the recent 3.5. The warg quest rewards got nerfed to utter uselessness for many builds.

caruso September 17, 2015 11:28

Thanks folks! :)

wobbly September 29, 2015 02:39

Just tried to reforge an artifact onto a poison needle. "You are presented with nothing", that's a bit scummy isn't it? Why not just prevent selecting a poison needle.

wobbly September 29, 2015 07:16

If you're a doppelganger & you mimic a beastman & get polymorph, after polymorphing it still displays [beastman] on your character sheet. Eventually after polymorphing enough times the game crashed, at a guess I polymorphed in to a draconian & hit the draconian polymorph bug but I'm not sure.

Rydel October 4, 2015 22:35

I started playing this version, and I've been getting some odd rings. Do far, I have a Ring of Protection with no AC bonus, and a "Ring." I've identified both, but not *Identified* them. Do they do anything I'm not aware of?

debo October 4, 2015 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydel (Post 105101)
I started playing this version, and I've been getting some odd rings. Do far, I have a Ring of Protection with no AC bonus, and a "Ring." I've identified both, but not *Identified* them. Do they do anything I'm not aware of?

Yes, this is normal. Plain rings are used for reforges (also plain amulets), so those are good to collect. Rings of protection often come with no AC bonus, but may still have an elemental or status resist of some kind.

hjklyubn October 5, 2015 00:14

Unfortunately most of these ring (or amulet) properties don't show up unless the item is *id*ed. Basically think of every non-plain ring as a randart, except that the ring's item type restricts what attributes the ring can have. For example Rings of Protection get miscellaneous attributes like free action, see invisible, warning, etc. Rings of Elemental Protection get elemental resistances, and so on.

In town it's usually cheaper to price-*id* or sell-*id* rings than using the town service to *id* them, because of the fact (bug?) that ided objects always sell at their full value as though they were *id*ed. This means you can both get a pretty good idea of how good a ring is from its sale price, and also know about how much you will lose net to buy the ring back if it turns out you actually want it (the ring will be *id*ed automatically once you actually sell it). If you sell everything worth less than your current rings you'll save a lot of money even if you end up buying back a few useful rings. Of course if the ring sells for more than 10000 or so you probably want to spend an *id* on it!

For deciding what loot to bring back from the dungeon to sell, assuming you have no scrolls of *id*, you just have to guess based on how good the ring item type is on average...

Rydel October 5, 2015 02:14

Well, the selling tips won't help me, since I'm playing with No Selling. Turns out, this version has actual No Selling instead of sell for 0, so I can't sell ID.

While waiting for a response, I was trying out a Death Sword, and found myself dying really quickly. Any survival tips early on? Also, how can I become something stronger than a Broken Sword?

Thanks!

wobbly October 5, 2015 02:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydel (Post 105107)
Well, the selling tips won't help me, since I'm playing with No Selling. Turns out, this version has actual No Selling instead of sell for 0, so I can't sell ID.

Not sure if it works with rings but dropping items in the home often gives you there value.

debo October 5, 2015 03:05

No-selling in poschengband is garbage. It's really much better just to turn on selling.

HugoTheGreat2011 October 5, 2015 05:10

Yep, no-selling is not fun at all. If you find low-tier Rings of Speed...e.g., Ring of Speed (+1), you're in for nice big payoffs. ;)

MarvinPA October 5, 2015 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydel (Post 105107)

I made a quick and lazy fix for that a while ago for my own convenience, here. Probably more useful for quickly identifying consumables in the very early game rather than for *ID* on expensive things, though.

hjklyubn October 5, 2015 23:18

The real problem with no-selling in poschengband is that gold pile sizes aren't increased by nearly enough to make up for the lost income from selling loot: for which there is another mpa-poschengband patch https://github.com/MarvinPA/mpa-posc...9176bb044bc8da.

Rydel October 6, 2015 03:24

I'm doing normal selling in the Death Sword game. For the Weapon Master, I can't change it mid game and don't want to start over, since I'm doing rather well.

BTW, is there a good online spoiler for PosChengband, like https://code.google.com/p/chengband/w/list for Chengbang or the (now dead) Hengband spoiler page? The Google page and the GitHub page don't have one.

I'm mostly interesting in seeing more about the different races and classes, since a lot of them have changed from Chengband.

EDIT: And then I found this: http://pastebin.com/ZLZZz45j, though it has less detail than the Chengband spoiler and doesn't give much on classes.

jevansau October 7, 2015 23:54

Does anyone know if anything affects the power of the artifact created by reading a scroll of artifact creation?
I've had a quick look at the source, and it didn't look like it, but I'd be happy to get some more knowledgeable feedback.

wobbly October 11, 2015 13:01

Not sure if it's necessary for balance but the fact a ninjas explosive rune blowing up on the other side of the map reveals his position feels a bit weird.

Having just fought Utgard-Loke again I possibly should mention his vulnerability to monster confusion scrolls makes an otherwise tough fight very easy to cheese.

debo October 11, 2015 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevansau (Post 105194)
Does anyone know if anything affects the power of the artifact created by reading a scroll of artifact creation?
I've had a quick look at the source, and it didn't look like it, but I'd be happy to get some more knowledgeable feedback.

The depth you're at when you read the scroll affects the quality. (This is hardwired into artefact generation, iirc.)

HugoTheGreat2011 October 11, 2015 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly
Having just fought Utgard-Loke again I possibly should mention his vulnerability to monster confusion scrolls makes an otherwise tough fight very easy to cheese.

Utgard-Loke can only get confused for so long. And once he stops getting confused, TELEPORT!!

wobbly October 18, 2015 21:22

If you *id a wand to find out the damage then it stacks with another wand it loses *id.

Raccoon October 28, 2015 20:31

I'm giving this variant a try for the first time. I like it quite a bit, but the virtues aren't so fun. I don't like that my virtues are harmed by things that are entirely beyond my control, like having fear and confusion spells cast on me.

Also, if killing fleeing/sleeping enemies is dishonorable, maybe intelligent monsters should try to surrender or something, like in Incursion? I don't know, but it feels like virtues get punished overly much because there's not many options in place to avoid doing 'bad' things.

Arjen October 28, 2015 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 105654)
I'm giving this variant a try for the first time. I like it quite a bit, but the virtues aren't so fun. I don't like that my virtues are harmed by things that are entirely beyond my control, like having fear and confusion spells cast on me.

Also, if killing fleeing/sleeping enemies is dishonorable, maybe intelligent monsters should try to surrender or something, like in Incursion? I don't know, but it feels like virtues get punished overly much because there's not many options in place to avoid doing 'bad' things.

You can turn Virtues off somewhere in options. They do not affect the playgame a lot (if it does at all).

Raccoon October 29, 2015 00:50

Is it intentional that cone breath attacks can go through solid walls? This is going to make hounds really horrible to fight!

wobbly October 29, 2015 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 105663)
Is it intentional that cone breath attacks can go through solid walls? This is going to make hounds really horrible to fight!

Not sure what you mean. There's a 2 radius ball at the end of the cone. If they can see a square within that distance of you they'll hit you whether you can see them or not.

ThunderToads November 6, 2015 01:11

Should I be dual-wielding as a Rogue, or is it better to go sword&board or two-handed?

debo November 6, 2015 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderToads (Post 105896)
Should I be dual-wielding as a Rogue, or is it better to go sword&board or two-handed?

I think dual-wielding is pretty garbage unless you're a berserker, warrior, or ninja (and even the latter two cases probably want genji gloves?)

wobbly November 6, 2015 03:38

I like dual-wield on a rogue unless I need to plug a resistance hole with a shield. If you want to compare damage output for the serpent it's AC 180, so you can take your 2nd weapon out & compare the to-hit percentages. I usually start dual wielding daggers early as the 2 weapon skill takes a while to build up.

Raccoon November 6, 2015 20:22

Feature request: Add descriptions to equipment!

I keep finding things like "Collar of Fang (+1)" and "Amulet of Devotion (+1)" and "Barbarian Talisman (+1)" and I have no idea what these things do without lots of trial and error and closely scrutinizing which stats they change when I equip/unequip

Edit: and then I figured out you're supposed to *Identify* these items. And now I feel stupid.

HugoTheGreat2011 November 6, 2015 23:39

Hugo's suggestion for PosChengband 4.0.0:
For the love of god, replace the Haunted House and the blasted Royal Crypt (especially!!) quests with something more intriguing!!!

debo November 7, 2015 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 105930)
Feature request: Add descriptions to equipment!

I keep finding things like "Collar of Fang (+1)" and "Amulet of Devotion (+1)" and "Barbarian Talisman (+1)" and I have no idea what these things do without lots of trial and error and closely scrutinizing which stats they change when I equip/unequip

Edit: and then I figured out you're supposed to *Identify* these items. And now I feel stupid.

You're not the stupid one. *identify* is stupid.

Rydel November 9, 2015 18:34

So, PosChengband has Ewoks as an enemy.
The Sindarin word for Middle Earth is "Endor."
Coincidence?

JohnCW9 November 10, 2015 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 105654)

it is birth option about half way down the page.

HugoTheGreat2011 November 21, 2015 08:19

Telmora Arena bug:
Game says you've been beaten by opponent you haven't yet fought (very next one). In particular, my Hugoul 8015's chardump says I was beaten by Barney the Dinosaur when I, in fact, defeated the Vampire Lord yet succumbed to wounds inflicted by that Vampire Lord (i.e. my HP dropped to < 0 before I coud exit that arena) before I even prompted to challenge Barney the Dinosaur (the next dude after the Vampire Lord).

qwe November 27, 2015 04:11

When walk through a door in dark,it will be a door follow the player,though it is only a small bug.

chris November 30, 2015 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 105948)
You're not the stupid one. *identify* is stupid.

You can just identify jewellery in 4.0.0 ... Gosh, I haven't had to *id* jewellery since August!

wobbly December 16, 2015 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderToads (Post 105896)

Playing a rogue at the moment & it seems the effectiveness of dual-wielding is very dependent on backstab. I had a 5.0lber & a 10lber with only begineer dual-wield which I was using as stat sticks for the Smaug fight. When I ran out of ammo I started swinging. I was hitting 1 from 7 till he started fleeing. Then I backstabbed 3 from 3 (with the 5lb spear).

So if you have the stealth to take things down asleep, or can get them to run (horrify from death realm) or can confuse them (bronze drac) it's a lot more effective. Otherwise you'll need things like Genji-gloves, high skills, hit boosters, light weapons etc. etc.

If I had 2 good light weapons, for instance quickthorn & dagger of fiona I'd be dual-wielding. If I need to use a shield to cover an important resist I'd go sword & board.