Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why no potions of resist lightning/acid? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9896)

PowerWyrm March 12, 2020 20:04

Why no potions of resist lightning/acid?

Facing high level monsters that can breathe lightning or acid for 1600 damage is really harsh without double resistance. Why do we have potions of resist fire/cold but no potions of resist lightning/acid?

Note: most variants do have these, or at least potions of resistance.

Ingwe Ingweron March 12, 2020 21:26

Just waiting for the inevitable post from Nick - FA has this! :)

Pete Mack March 12, 2020 22:05

Because people wouldn't bother carrying them. Acid damage is effectively capped at 800 because of armor reduction, and has 1/6 CHP damage. It is the weakest element of the 5. Powerful electricity breath is pretty rare. So why waste inventory slots? Fire and Cold, on the other hand, are dangerous and common.

Edit: and the game is more interesting with a hole for one element.

Derakon March 12, 2020 22:05

Acid at least you get a halving as long as you're wearing armor in every slot. Electricity...just be careful I guess! :)

tangar March 13, 2020 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 143580)
Because people wouldn't bother carrying them. Acid damage is effectively capped at 800 because of armor reduction, and has 1/6 CHP damage. It is the weakest element of the 5.

is it hardcoded? Cause projection.txt got:

Quote:

code:ACID
name:acid
type:element
desc:acid
player-desc:acid
blind-desc:acid
lash-desc:acid
numerator:1
denominator:3
divisor:3
damage-cap:1600
msgt:BR_ACID
obvious:1
color:Slate

wobbly March 13, 2020 07:30

Tangar acid is halved if you have armour in every slot, so its effectively half that.

Mondkalb March 13, 2020 09:49

Are there artifacts that activate for resistance?
Would be nice to have those after the spells have been removed.

PowerWyrm March 13, 2020 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 143587)
Tangar acid is halved if you have armour in every slot, so its effectively half that.

Is it actually halved every time.. not only when armor is damaged? I need to check that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondkalb (Post 143588)
Are there artifacts that activate for resistance?
Would be nice to have those after the spells have been removed.

The cloak 'Colluin'. But you're not sure to find this every time, and in the multiplayer variant which we play only one player will be able to get it, unless you're lucky with a randart.

Sphara March 13, 2020 11:03

There are Rings of Lightning but I'd rather ignore powerful elec-breathers, than carry one those to the deep end of the game.

For me it's Colluin, immunity or no fight at all. Potion of Resistance as a deep item doesn't sound a bad idea at all.

Pete Mack March 13, 2020 11:32

@PowerWyrm -- acid damage is halved so long as the armor isn't degraded all the way to 0 AC.