Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The future of Oangband? (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=4551)

CJNyfalt June 20, 2011 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 55413)
Basically the player gets RDark and +3 stealth, plus when not wielding a light
  • Vision radius 2;
  • Terrain bonus of ac/8 + 10 (for melee) when on an unlit grid;
  • Damage reduction of 1/4 (against spells) when on an unlit grid;
  • no_lite is always false (so you can read in the dark)
  • Additional +3 stealth when on an unlit grid

Well, the only things that differs are the vision radius and the stealth.
I fixed the stealth bug, leaving the vision radius issue.

Considering that I improved infravision so that it is usable, I will probably just have unlight grant more infravision, instead of using your dark vision.

EDIT:
I decided to have unlight add +2 to infravision. Maybe that is too much considering that I did improve infravision?

CJNyfalt June 21, 2011 21:24

Ran into a strange bug: Turning on PRIVATE_USER_PATH removes colors from inventory. :confused:

Otherwise, I am progressing nicely with adding the new file handling functions. What is causing issues however, is the x-char stuff because it is such an ugly hack that I'm having problems to stomach adopting it.

Nick June 21, 2011 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJNyfalt (Post 55560)
What is causing issues however, is the x-char stuff because it is such an ugly hack that I'm having problems to stomach adopting it.

Agreed - I do like the results, though. The V devteam is working on UTF-8 support, so if you wait a bit there'll be a correct solution available.

CJNyfalt June 22, 2011 21:20

A bit of update of on the ports:
- main-x11: Almost updated, only key handling and moving over to the new file-handling version.
- main-gcu: Progressing.
- main-win: Some progress, looks doable.
- main-crb: The diff is so big, that I can't really change this file gradually. It looks like the best best is to copy over the vanilla version, and hope for the best.

camlost June 22, 2011 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJNyfalt (Post 55421)
I decided to have unlight add +2 to infravision. Maybe that is too much considering that I did improve infravision?

Not all races will have infravision innately, and it's really cool to see walls appearing 10 squares away. You still can't see cold-blooded monsters in the dark. I say +2 INFR is fine.

CJNyfalt June 23, 2011 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 55321)
Now that would be interesting. Please post if you find an alternative.

Well, I am intending to test out cmake, and I just started writing the config file for it. Looks promising so far.

AnonymousHero June 24, 2011 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJNyfalt (Post 55796)
Well, I am intending to test out cmake, and I just started writing the config file for it. Looks promising so far.

There are may be a few somewhat tricky/non-obvious bits when detecting SDL. Feel free to be 'inspired' by http://gitorious.org/tome2/tome2/blo...CMakeLists.txt

CJNyfalt June 24, 2011 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonymousHero (Post 55813)
There are may be a few somewhat tricky/non-obvious bits when detecting SDL. Feel free to be 'inspired' by http://gitorious.org/tome2/tome2/blo...CMakeLists.txt

Thanks! That will be useful.

CJNyfalt June 25, 2011 20:28

I decided to try out the next competition character to get a feel of things that needs fixing, and it clearly stands out that the early game is too annoying.

Not because of hard monster, no. It is because of lack of consumables and how hard it is to get enough money stocked up to start diving. The main problems seems to be identify and word of recall. Lack of identify stops me from clearing out stuff from inventory/home, while lack of WoR keeps me from going deeper than dlvl 3.
I have to consider different solutions to these problems. For example:
- Like I mentioned earlier: study the vanilla identification model.
- Just make the scrolls really cheap and always in stock.
- A Diablo II approach of using scroll books. Making these unsellable and give players a decent stock at start would speed up gameplay while preventing them from being abused for money.

I am also open to other ideas.

buzzkill June 25, 2011 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJNyfalt (Post 55928)
Not because of hard monster, no. It is because of lack of consumables and how hard it is to get enough money stocked up to start diving. The main problems seems to be identify and word of recall. Lack of identify stops me from clearing out stuff from inventory/home, while lack of WoR keeps me from going deeper than dlvl 3.

I couldn't agree with you more. My characters have experienced the same pain with ID and WoR. That said, I haven't played nearly enough O to give a solid opinion on what needs fixing and what doesn't, but I view these things as challenges that should be overcome by the player (if possible), not a maintainer. I've walked back to the surface from as deep at DL12, not the worst fate with detect doors and stairs and a bunch of un-ID'd flavors still to be discovered. Plus you find a lot of Potions of Speed that way.

Unless the comp character simply has horrible pseudo-ID skill, having stronger pseudo-ID, or simply fixing pseudo-ID, would help immensely.

WoR isn't necessary at all (in the early game) if you're willing to abuse the elevator-staircase mechanic (playing with connected stairs).

If you want to do some maintainer work, yank CLW form the mage spellbook, add low level potions of restore mana that just restore 10 SP or 10% or something so mages don't have to rest all the time. Resting sucks!