Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Animeband - The worst variant ever (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=49)

phaethon_h May 19, 2007 08:30

subversion

I arranged for a SVN (Subversion) repository for animeband (it's like CVS, but less clunky):

http://svn.icculus.org/animeband/
http://svn.icculus.org/animeband/trunk

for web-based views of the source tree.

Code:

svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/animeband/trunk animeband
for the more developmentally-oriented.

Commit access can be granted rather painlessly (unlike CVS).

We also have animeband as part of icculus.org's buzilla bug-tracking system: http://bugzilla.icculus.org/

(for what it's worth, bugzilla is the bug-tracking system originally created for and used by Mozilla/Firefox development, available as a standalone system)

The bugs database is shared with a number of other projects; animeband is one of the projects ("Product"="Animeband").

I can delve into a few primers on svn and bugzilla in this thread if needed.

Let the coding commence.

ehuangsan May 19, 2007 08:36

Oh excellent. Thanks a lot! :)

phaethon_h May 24, 2007 12:14

I added code which I think fixes one of the Replacement Technique bugs, where you teleport out of a multi-hit attack and end up teleporting into the middle of another multi-hit attack ("monster1 hit 1 of 3, teleport, monster2 hit 2/3, monster2 hit 3/3").

My idea was basically to implement "phasing out" for the duration of the turn (cf Shadowcat, Gouki/Athena teleport), so the monsters try all the motion but end up doing nothing to you (literally attacking empty air).

The one gotcha is that the teleport expends "action energy" (akin to a RPG "turn gauge/meter")... on the next turn, if you're "tired" enough, the monster you teleported next to may get a chance to attack before you get a chance to move. This is what happens with regular angband teleporting, but Replacement Technique is supposed to escape danger -- so I don't know if the "phase-in" should happen at the start of the turn (before you move, as it is now) or just as you get to move (complete escape, but godly-priority cheap).

ehuangsan May 24, 2007 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaethon_h (Post 667)
I added code which I think fixes one of the Replacement Technique bugs, where you teleport out of a multi-hit attack and end up teleporting into the middle of another multi-hit attack ("monster1 hit 1 of 3, teleport, monster2 hit 2/3, monster2 hit 3/3").

My idea was basically to implement "phasing out" for the duration of the turn (cf Shadowcat, Gouki/Athena teleport), so the monsters try all the motion but end up doing nothing to you (literally attacking empty air).

The one gotcha is that the teleport expends "action energy" (akin to a RPG "turn gauge/meter")... on the next turn, if you're "tired" enough, the monster you teleported next to may get a chance to attack before you get a chance to move. This is what happens with regular angband teleporting, but Replacement Technique is supposed to escape danger -- so I don't know if the "phase-in" should happen at the start of the turn (before you move, as it is now) or just as you get to move (complete escape, but godly-priority cheap).

Actually I didn't care much about that scenario as I did about this:

Monster 1 hits you, Monster 1 hits you, you teleport, Monster 1 hits you, Monster 1 misses you.

If you try making it so that it can interrupt an attack at anytime, funky things happen. Honestly, if you teleport and Monster 2 happens to hit you, I say oh well, that's just silly luck.

phaethon_h May 26, 2007 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehuangsan (Post 671)
Actually I didn't care much about that scenario as I did about this:

Monster 1 hits you, Monster 1 hits you, you teleport, Monster 1 hits you, Monster 1 misses you.

If you try making it so that it can interrupt an attack at anytime, funky things happen. Honestly, if you teleport and Monster 2 happens to hit you, I say oh well, that's just silly luck.

hrm. That particular scenario didn't happen to me in 060a2. The scenario I posted did happen, though: A-hit1/3, teleport next to B, B-hit2/3, B-hit3/3. But then again it was a large horde of vicious Hello Kittys (Kitties?),: if I teleported next to another HK, I got hit by the remaining number of hits from a HK, but if I ended up in the clear, no remote hits. So I assume it was the other HK getting in the last hits.

ehuangsan May 26, 2007 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaethon_h (Post 690)
hrm. That particular scenario didn't happen to me in 060a2. The scenario I posted did happen, though: A-hit1/3, teleport next to B, B-hit2/3, B-hit3/3. But then again it was a large horde of vicious Hello Kittys (Kitties?),: if I teleported next to another HK, I got hit by the remaining number of hits from a HK, but if I ended up in the clear, no remote hits. So I assume it was the other HK getting in the last hits.

That's because my dumb solution was to only make the replacement technique work on first monster hit. If you tried to make it interrupt a string of hits coming from one monster, then the problem occurs.

ehuangsan May 30, 2007 06:52

Did you manage to replicate the previous solution? I think I should have an old beta version lying around somewhere that has it.

phaethon_h June 1, 2007 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehuangsan (Post 783)
Did you manage to replicate the previous solution? I think I should have an old beta version lying around somewhere that has it.

um... no?... o_O

ehuangsan June 2, 2007 03:47

Ah, I think I remember how to replicate it.

Change the "break" statement in melee1.c where the replacement code is to "continue". Otherwise, replacement only works on the first hit of the monster melee. I don't understand why that happens though.

phaethon_h June 2, 2007 10:50

I think I'm going to need a log/messages dump of right and wrong (fabricated or not) to understand what you're trying to get at :confused: