Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FAangband 2.0beta (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10172)

Arralen May 7, 2021 18:46

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 153093)
"The Ghoul is frozen to the spot!" is not a bug. That happens frequently when any monster is knocked down by a significant amount to 1 or 2 stars.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!
:p

This time, the ghoul has 3 stars left (see the pic!).
And I am pretty sure it happens way more often than the few cases where I knock a monster down to nearly dead with one bolt ... using a light crossbow of acc. now (to be able to hit anything at all) and mildly enchancted bolts.
Will put more attention to this and see if it happens even with the 1st star lost (felt like that at least).

At least it is highly irritating if you are using a frost branded weapon, and you really freeze people right and left at the same time... .
Shouldn't this effect rather be something like "is stunned by the impact" instead?



... and ... really? Really???

Pete Mack May 7, 2021 20:05

Arrelen--
The monster is actually frozen with fear, I believe.

Nick May 7, 2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 153099)
Arrelen--
The monster is actually frozen with fear, I believe.

Yes, this is a recent change in V where a monster which is fleeing and has nowhere to run becomes held instead. The effect of this is that an attack will break the hold. I'm still not 100% sure I like the change, partly because of the confusing messaging.

Pete Mack May 7, 2021 22:17

In a big line of orcs or trolls it gives a useful respite for paladin or priest healing spells.

Arralen May 8, 2021 18:26

2 Attachment(s)
coin pickup fails:
Sometimes(?), doing a "5" move on a stack of coins results in "You have no room for xx gold pieces worth of yyyy", while you can pick them up using "g" just fine.

Arralen May 9, 2021 06:53

2 Attachment(s)
Resizing the Term-0 makes messages and UI callbacks ("you really want?") tick through.
Maybe because I'm running with "mouse_movement"=yes ?
Will test further.


Ring that I am not ignoring nearly got "k"illed by ... what? Savegame corruption?

Found my first stack of ID scrolls.
IDed my last partly unknown item by reading from the ground.
Tried to read the 2nd scroll, said "nothing to ID".
Left the game.
Reloaded savegame, was greeted by the UI callback "you really wanna kill ring?"
EDIT: !%&%!!! The amulet I am using and the 2 amulets in my home gotten an additional inscription "ignore" as well - check the save game ...

Arralen May 13, 2021 12:12

Help pls !!!
(why is there no *blink* tag in the BB code ;) ??)

Seems it does not originate from the save file, as it appears even with a save that predates the first occurences. Must be a pref thingy! Any way to fix the prefs and "save" my savegame?

Nick May 13, 2021 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153253)
Help pls !!!
(why is there no *blink* tag in the BB code ;) ??)

Seems it does not originate from the save file, as it appears even with a save that predates the first occurences. Must be a pref thingy! Any way to fix the prefs and "save" my savegame?

I'll need your randart file as well - it should be in the archive directory in your user directory, and it should be called randart_03c9245a.txt.

Arralen May 13, 2021 18:46

1 Attachment(s)
.. here's the file ... what happened?

Pete Mack May 13, 2021 18:51

Arralen--
Your point comes across fine without needing to look like a Web 1.0 pizza joint page. Really, those colors distract; they do not emphasize. (Same with the *shudder* blink tsg.)

Nick May 13, 2021 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153253)
Help pls !!!
(why is there no *blink* tag in the BB code ;) ??)

Seems it does not originate from the save file, as it appears even with a save that predates the first occurences. Must be a pref thingy! Any way to fix the prefs and "save" my savegame?

I can open your savefile with no problems. If you have a Relca.prf file in your user directory, try renaming that; if there's a problem with that file, your game should open fine.

Arralen May 15, 2021 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153264)
I can open your savefile with no problems. If you have a Relca.prf file in your user directory, try renaming that; if there's a problem with that file, your game should open fine.

Thanks for trying this out, but the problem is not that I can't load the save, but that seemingly random items got (get?) inscribed with "!d" on reloading (ring in slot d, amulet in e and some amulets in my home), the game wants to drop them at every opportunity and I can't reverse this.

E.g. uninscribing the ring in slot d) seems to work, but if I save+reload the game immediatly ask if I really want to drop and ignore the ring, and it's inscribed with "{!d, ignore}" again.

If I check the auto-inscription setup, there's nothing shown for rings or amulets.
I do ignore scrolls (aggrav. monst., darkness, summon monst.), wands (haste monst., wonder), priest books (novice, cleans. pw.) etc., some average weapons+armour etc. .


UPDATE:
Things are getting even crazier: I left the game (w. saving) and reloaded again. Now the ring in slot d) was fine and the game didn't ask if I want to drop anything, even with the amulet in slot e) was inscribed with "!d".

Left and reloaded again - and the game inscribed slot c,d with "!d, ignore" again (and e still with "!d"), and asked if I want to drop c) and d) ...

Cuboideb May 16, 2021 19:45

- Every tile over open floor is crossed by a stick.

https://i.ibb.co/MNyFxGB/strange.png

- Travelling merchant doens't have a tile in shockbolt dark.

Also in Vanilla: knight shield doesnt have a tile in shockbolt (light, dark?).

Nick May 16, 2021 22:09

OK, my recommendation for jewellery is do not ignore any, and turn off any auto-ignore you do have.

Tiles have many problems, I basically haven't done anything from V allocations.

EDIT: OK, on re-checking, ignore is now completely disabled for jewellery in the latest builds. So things getting {!d, ignore} is definitely weird - and is not happening for me with that savefile. Do you have the latest build?

Arralen May 18, 2021 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153300)
EDIT: OK, on re-checking, ignore is now completely disabled for jewellery in the latest builds. So things getting {!d, ignore} is definitely weird - and is not happening for me with that savefile.

That would be ...

Release 2.0beta1-196-g2a7de9af
Remove ignoring for rings and amulets, resolves #142


I am running ...
FAangband-2.0beta1-196-g2a7de9af
:eek:

I 7zipped up the whole folder and uploaded it. Needs 2 monitors and this: 196gForNick
D/L here: https://c.gmx.net/@32808082942931770...RWyq8JH7TN0WBg

Nick May 19, 2021 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153283)
Things are getting even crazier: I left the game (w. saving) and reloaded again. Now the ring in slot d) was fine and the game didn't ask if I want to drop anything, even with the amulet in slot e) was inscribed with "!d".

Left and reloaded again - and the game inscribed slot c,d with "!d, ignore" again (and e still with "!d"), and asked if I want to drop c) and d) ...

OK, I get the same inscription behaviour when running on Windows with the folder you gave me, but the game doesn't ask me about dropping. Running the latest version, the problem seems to have gone. Maybe try the latest version?

Arralen May 21, 2021 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153328)
OK, I get the same inscription behaviour when running on Windows with the folder you gave me, but the game doesn't ask me about dropping. Running the latest version, the problem seems to have gone. Maybe try the latest version?

Asking about dropping, as the auto-inscribe, does not happen consistently. Tried several times, sometimes removing the inscription before quitting, sometimes not ... and I couldn't discerne any pattern.

Copied the save and the rndart.txt to 226.
Everything was fine, but I had to play with tiles, too much "zoomed in" and on 1 monitor.

So I copied over the faangband.INI ... and the inscribing+dropping started immediately even with 226.

Several tries later, the problem seems to has magically fixed itself, just as it appeared !?!?! And no, I have not accidently started the 196 version ... that savegame in that folder is still from 2021-05-16.

Some "creeping" save file corruption that is written to another point in the file on each save?

Nick May 21, 2021 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153378)
Some "creeping" save file corruption that is written to another point in the file on each save?

I dunno. Let's just keep it in mind.

Nick May 23, 2021 01:01

Latest updates fix artifact devices (I hope) and themed levels - take note MITZE :)

MITZE May 23, 2021 02:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153398)
Latest updates fix artifact devices (I hope) and themed levels - take note MITZE :)

Thanks; I just need to knock out some things I'm already working on IRL before I get back to playing (and to ask Gwarl to delete my FAA save on the webserver, I think there's weirdness attached to it, like my consistently not getting the proper flavor text for arts).

You want Warrior, Mage, or Priest to be given a once-over next?

Nick May 23, 2021 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 153401)
You want Warrior, Mage, or Priest to be given a once-over next?

I don't really mind - they're really not much different from their V versions. Not to say you won't find something that's broken about those, like you did for rangers...

Arralen May 29, 2021 19:47

1 Attachment(s)
Now I am gretting crashes when leaving the options menue (2nd hit of "ESC") while setting up the subwindows ... started with v226 and happens with v259 as well.
Everything is fine until I try to put PLAYER(EXTRA) on any Term.

... and STATUS doesn't seem to do anything?!?

Nick May 30, 2021 00:48

Latest update should fix this, thanks to backwardsEric and Cuboideb.

Arralen May 30, 2021 06:35

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153492)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153484)
Now I am gretting crashes when leaving the options menue ...


FIXED.

But ...

Now I can't leave the "Help file 'commands.txt'" ... SPACE took me to the 2nd page, ESC did not work, screen was only flickering as if trying to do something, then refreshing the help screen.
ESC did work on the subwindows option screen, though. ;)

UPDATE: I tried to close FAA2 using the X button. Little window came up said "you must close all windows". Ok, tried ESC again - and it worked "down" to the main window.

UPDATE2: Can't recreate this. Sadly, can't remember which "exotic" key combination I used that didn't work so the game prompted me to use "?" which I did, what got me stuck in the help screen ...


... aaaand another one:

3-headed hydras aren't supposed to be invisible, right?
Yet, after encountering a "Q", things have started to (not) show up in a strange way. At first I had some small things gnaw at me, that a staff of "Detect Invisible" couldn't detect.
Now I had a Hydra standing right next to me and bite me 2x, and I didn't see it until I used a Rod of Detection?!
The detected invisible monster should be the Mystic "p", right?
I hit it, and it turned invisible again "You miss something. You freeze something (46)". A hydra. Right next to me!?!?
https://smilies.4-user.de/include/So..._sonst_027.gif https://smilies.4-user.de/include/So..._sonst_031.gif ... taptaptaptap ... taptaptapsmack :cool: GROAARR!!! https://smilies.4-user.de/include/Br...ilie_b_352.gif

Is this some new kind of curse? If not, dear devs, you do not need to take note, really ...

Yes, I tried to make a living from this. Didn't work out. Considering the working conditions in the computer gaming industry today, I guess that is a good thing ...

Nick May 30, 2021 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153506)
3-headed hydras aren't supposed to be invisible, right?
Yet, after encountering a "Q", things have started to (not) show up in a strange way. At first I had some small things gnaw at me, that a staff of "Detect Invisible" couldn't detect.
Now I had a Hydra standing right next to me and bite me 2x, and I didn't see it until I used a Rod of Detection?!
The detected invisible monster should be the Mystic "p", right?
I hit it, and it turned invisible again "You miss something. You freeze something (46)". A hydra. Right next to me!?!?

This does seem odd. Do you have the savefile (and randart file if it's not the same character as before)?

I couldn't reproduce the help issue either.

Arralen May 30, 2021 14:35

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153508)
This does seem odd. Do you have the savefile (and randart file if it's not the same character as before)?

It is.
I have attached the savefile.

Quote:

I couldn't reproduce the help issue either.
No problem, I couldn't either.
Must have been some SHIFT-letter combination .. let me try some ...

OMG!
The auto-ignore-inscription is back! And again the game does not ask every time if I want to drop that ring in the d)-slot.

Did not notice the inscription before I reloaded the save and tried the keys ... and after using SHIFT-K it's gone again?!?!
Why does using SHIFT-K inscribe (and partly uninscribes) slot d) or e) jewelry with "ignore" or "!d, ignore" ... isn't it supposed to do nothing?

Must have been some other key combination that send me to the ?-files, though.

And the Hydra still vanished on the next turn ...

Arralen May 30, 2021 14:46

1 Attachment(s)
.
And the next one!
At least this one seems to be reproducable from the savefile:
Just ignore the Hyrda and step south-east on the broken door ...
Does not happen on the northern broken door, though.

Nick May 30, 2021 22:14

OK, here's what I have on these ones:
  • If you used release 265 or 266, there was a bug introduced which would explain the crash; fixed in 268.
  • The hydra being invisible I cannot reproduce.
  • 'K' is supposed to make all the already ignored things visible; my guess here is that there's something leftover in your ignoring settings from before I removed the possibility of ignoring ring and amulet types, and now there's no way to remove it...

MITZE May 30, 2021 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153515)
invisible hydra

Not sure if it's the same thing, but there were situations during my Ranger game where I seemed to be having problems directly seeing monsters (but could see them just fine with detects)--I figured it was lighting problems, and never looked into it enough to determine whether it was a bug or not.

To that end, if it's not implemented already, I would suggest explicitly marking any monster that projects unlight as doing so in monster memory, to make ruling such out (or not) easier (I'd just check my monster memory to see if it was implemented, except I seem to have deleted it).

Nick May 30, 2021 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 153519)
To that end, if it's not implemented already, I would suggest explicitly marking any monster that projects unlight as doing so in monster memory, to make ruling such out (or not) easier (I'd just check my monster memory to see if it was implemented, except I seem to have deleted it).

It is implemented already - I will keep on eye out for this problem, though.

Arralen May 31, 2021 18:56

1 Attachment(s)
D/L v272, did not transfer any save or cfg file.
Tried to start as an Ent ...

Nick May 31, 2021 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153532)
D/L v272, did not transfer any save or cfg file.
Tried to start as an Ent ...

Thanks, I have the same thing.

Arralen May 31, 2021 22:11

1 Attachment(s)
Can't drop 2 (or more) things now.
Tried to drop 8 of 9 rations, and the game does not let me ENTER or ESC out of the dialogue.

!)%&%!, can't even close (X) the game, says I should exit open menues first ... now it worked.
Don't ask how, something with the NUM key, SPACE and finally, when there was no number or * visible, ESC worked ...

Something is definitly not working ok with the standard key set on Win8.1.

Nick May 31, 2021 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153537)
Can't drop 2 (or more) things now.
Tried to drop 8 of 9 rations, and the game does not let me ENTER or ESC out of the dialogue.

!)%&%!, can't even close (X) the game, says I should exit open menues first ... now it worked.
Don't ask how, something with the NUM key, SPACE and finally, when there was no number or * visible, ESC worked ...

Something is definitly not working ok with the standard key set on Win8.1.

I can't reproduce any of that (apart from the game will not close with menus open by design).

On the plus side, build 273 is now up which allows Ents to play.

Arralen June 3, 2021 08:40

Running v272 now.
Started a new toon.

Entered a level, saw what must have been a malachite amulet on the ground and in the objects list.

Upon stepping on it, it vanished.

No message, no ignores or auto-inscribes set by me, or visible in the options.

Savefile not available ... can't save every 2 min. in case something strange happens ...

Arralen June 3, 2021 09:00

3 Attachment(s)
still v272

Now I can't step on a pile of copper coins, because "a wall is in the way".

Some steps away I found a katana where "a wall is in the way" (see snip).
"T"unneling into it says "... granite wall" ...
"Shatter Stone" spell worked on it, and I was able to retrieve the katana.

Arralen June 3, 2021 10:19

How do I get daggers into the quiver?
(I am supposed to, right, to be able to throw them?)

"w"ielding 1 of 3 daggers replaced the weapon I was wielding, and dropped that to the ground, because of pack overflow... .

When I dropped the dagger I was wielding then, and the other 2 on top of it, the game did an out-pickup as if I still had them in inventory ("auto-pickup" for items in already in the inventory is enabled).

So I had to step away to drop the daggers on the next tile, then step back to pick up my first weapon ...

Nick June 3, 2021 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arralen (Post 153610)
still v272

Now I can't step on a pile of copper coins, because "a wall is in the way".

Some steps away I found a katana where "a wall is in the way" (see snip).
"T"unneling into it says "... granite wall" ...
"Shatter Stone" spell worked on it, and I was able to retrieve the katana.

This is a known bug - thanks for the savefile. The vanishing amulet may be related.

The way to get throwing weapons into the quiver is to inscribe them with @v0, or @v1, etc.

EDIT: The objects in walls bug should be fixed now.

Nick June 14, 2021 13:12

2.0beta2 is now up, it breaks savefiles from the previous nightly version. I'll be deploying it to angband.live soon.

I believe there is little gameplay-wise to be done before releasing 2.0 now; the remaining issues are completing things like tiles and documentation, plus a couple of possible bugs. Please let me know if you know of anything else which should be done before a 2.0 release.

Cuboideb June 14, 2021 14:55

Great work!

A couple of compiler (mingw) warnings:

ui-player.c:945 - Index out of bounds (Wrong index I think).

ui-entry-renderers:801 - "val" may be unitialized.

Nick June 14, 2021 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 153805)
ui-player.c:945 - Index out of bounds (Wrong index I think).

ui-entry-renderers:801 - "val" may be unitialized.

Thanks Diego :)

wobbly June 14, 2021 23:50

Mitze killing his own player ghost:

mon-msg.c:299: get_message_text: Assertion `race->base != NULL' failed.

Nick June 15, 2021 03:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 153814)
Mitze killing his own player ghost:

mon-msg.c:299: get_message_text: Assertion `race->base != NULL' failed.

Hm, thanks.

Nick June 15, 2021 13:42

Latest version should have the crash bug fixed, along with player ghosts not dropping anything and monsters summoning neutrals.

MITZE June 19, 2021 20:14

Potential RFE: Rework The Wand of Beguiling?
 
I know wands of dragon's breath, etc. use something new that lets the player choose what effect they actually do now; is this something that could be imparted onto The Wand of Beguiling too, and if so, would it be too OP to do so?

MITZE June 19, 2021 21:18

Device Skill = Yes
 
1 Attachment(s)
Is the solid block of color at sufficiently high device/skill levels intended (device skill is actually 143, according to text highlighting)?

Attachment 2019

EDIT: Equipped Maeglin's gauntlets and now it's a black space.

Nick June 20, 2021 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 153894)
Is the solid block of color at sufficiently high device/skill levels intended (device skill is actually 143, according to text highlighting)?

Attachment 2019

EDIT: Equipped Maeglin's gauntlets and now it's a black space.

Fantastic, it seems your device skill is actually so high you have broken the game. Fix in the works.

Cuboideb June 21, 2021 13:27

1 Attachment(s)
I got a 1-9 level feeling but I don't see any valuable object. It can be triggered by an amulet of DOOM ?

The scrolls of indentify rune were created with wizard mode.

Nick June 21, 2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 153901)
I got a 1-9 level feeling but I don't see any valuable object. It can be triggered by an amulet of DOOM ?

The scrolls of indentify rune were created with wizard mode.

No, that'll be the cursed ring of Combat, which has a huge negative value - and object feelings are based on the squares of value.

Cuboideb June 21, 2021 14:24

Thank you!

Cuboideb June 22, 2021 03:34

The key for beorning shapeshift is wrong in the S command. Small bug

Nick June 22, 2021 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 153916)
The key for beorning shapeshift is wrong in the S command. Small bug

Thanks, fixed in development.

Also, the latest version has copied the new V feature of re-generating randarts if the file is missing, so you shouldn't have to attach that as well as a savefile in future.

MITZE June 22, 2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 153898)
Fantastic, it seems your device skill is actually so high you have broken the game. Fix in the works.

Not actually entirely fixed; I put on some more device stuff and it turned into a solid green block again at skill 175; yet even more stuff and it goes back to being a white number at skill 194.

Cuboideb June 23, 2021 02:10

The game crashed twice in two days, after khazad.dum. When using down stairs (west) in a plain level. In the second crash I killed a player ghost before that. It was rabii

MITZE June 23, 2021 22:47

Sorry to tell you this, but Magic Mastery *still* isn't quite fixed; I spent some time in wizard mode rolling up excellent objects that can generate Magic Mastery as a property, and it turns out that with an ideal kit and character it's still theoretically possible (but probably not practically possible unless you spend enough time grinding that you'll probably have died from carelessness or boredom) for you to break the Magic Device skill display on the character sheet. As it is now, it's still happening somewhere from 219 to 224, inclusive.

MITZE June 24, 2021 23:34

Special Levels
 
So it's occurred to me that I didn't see any special levels at all during my mage run, and Zabutor hasn't seen any recently either; I don't think Rolanako or Saquatch have said anything about them as well.

This is just a hunch, but maybe the problems with the level transition crashes and hang-ups are because the game's trying to generate a special level and can't because there's a problem somewhere?

EDIT: Nevermind, finally found one again; the edain encampment, East Beleriand 18.

Cuboideb June 30, 2021 18:45

How the map view works?

If I go down to Valley Level 40 and continue in that direction I can't go up, and things get a bit weird.

https://i.ibb.co/CWm9p59/wilderness-map.png

Ingwe Ingweron June 30, 2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 154112)
How the map view works?

If I go down to Valley Level 40 and continue in that direction I can't go up, and things get a bit weird.

https://i.ibb.co/CWm9p59/wilderness-map.png

Once in the valley, the only way to go is down.

Pete Mack June 30, 2021 21:22

Then there's an error in the map. The connector should be
Code:

  |
  V

(And terminal symbols ><^ for different map directions.)

Sacksquatch June 30, 2021 23:33

Hey!

I want to pitch the idea of giving Warrior some things from Medley's new BG. I'm thinking specifically of leap and whirlwind. They could be implemented as U abilities instead of spells. I'm also thinking Warrior should get them even earlier than BG, if not level 1 because well... they're friggin warriors! :D

I've been thinking of ways to make playing Warrior more fun, and those two abilities certainly made BG fun for me.

What do you fellow kids think?

Pete Mack July 1, 2021 00:34

Yeah, those spells are amazing, and help make blackguard more fun than warrior. But warrior gets usable archery, which actually more powerful.

MITZE July 5, 2021 00:30

Preset Player Ghosts?
 
Bugtesting offline, trying to find those crashes/lockups that keep happening.

No luck so far, but it's occurred to me that I don't think anybody has seen one of the preset player ghosts, which makes me wonder now if those are tied together.

So, in an attempt to see if so, I think I'm gonna go hunt for the preset player ghosts; I just want to know what the lines in the bones file mean.

Cuboideb July 5, 2021 00:51

New bones are generated with 0 bytes in android. I have to test if its something related to android.

Nick July 5, 2021 01:15

Yeah, player ghosts involve both writing and reading from files, and attempt to do it across platforms and on single install multiple player systems like live. So there are like a million things that can go wrong.

The format of bone files is:
Code:

Name
Race index
Class index
String index: String

where the string index is 0 for no string, 1 for string as something the ghost says, 2 for string as a description.

MITZE July 5, 2021 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154164)
player ghosts

Bah, was hoping some of that stuff would include like a depth, to give me a lead where to look in-game.

FWIW testing offline I am finding no player ghosts, but no crashes/lockups either (OS Windows 10 Home v10.0.19042, on a Surface Go 2 tablet).

Nick July 5, 2021 02:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 154168)
Bah, was hoping some of that stuff would include like a depth, to give me a lead where to look in-game.

Oh, I see. I failed to mention that the file name gives the depth - bone.060 is level 60, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 154168)
FWIW testing offline I am finding no player ghosts, but no crashes/lockups either (OS Windows 10 Home v10.0.19042, on a Surface Go 2 tablet).

Good (well, mostly). I have been struggling to find crashes/lockups as well, and at some point have to decide to release with some herd-to-find bugs still present.

Cuboideb July 5, 2021 03:43

In ui-death.c, line 353. file_close should be outside the infinite loop. If the user answers N that line could not executed. Perhaps the loop should be closed at line 337. I will test a fix in android tomorrow.

Nick July 5, 2021 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 154170)
In ui-death.c, line 353. file_close should be outside the infinite loop. If the user answers N that line could not executed. Perhaps the loop should be closed at line 337. I will test a fix in android tomorrow.

Oops. Thanks :)

MITZE July 5, 2021 03:53

Wilderness Transition Crashes
 
Okay, so not sure whether this is good news or bad news, but I've gone back to bugtesting on the webserver, and am having plenty of luck scumming for the wilderness transition crashes now.

Like the issues already submitted on Git about it seem to reflect, I suspect there are two separate issues (or perhaps one issue with two failure points?) here; one causes a crash that deposits you on the level you were trying to transition to, and the other deposits you on the level you were trying to leave. The latter seems to be rarer than the former.

As far as I can tell, the crash that deposits you on the level you were trying to enter seems to have something to do with player ghosts; as far as I've noticed, every time it's happened there's been a player ghost when I've reloaded the game. In case this is valuable information for debugging, I've been scumming for these crashes going between Amon Rudh 15 and West Beleriand 16; the player ghosts I've confirmed involved when the crash happens are 'BEEFCAKE', 'Dex', 'Judias', 'Klassik', 'Rythil', and 'WildKhaine'.

As for the crash that deposits you on the level you were trying to leave, it's only happened to me once or twice during my bugtesting time, and it hasn't been replicatable; I've been making a habit of saving before attempting to make a transition during this, and when this crash happened it didn't occur when I tried the transition a second time--not sure if saving screwed with the RNG or what.

EDIT: Confirmed the crash that deposits you on the level you were trying to leave is not replicatable; spammed wilderness transitions without saving for a while and found it again, but it still didn't occur when trying the transition a second time.

Sacksquatch July 5, 2021 05:28

My warrior BEEFCAKE still wrecking shit in the afterlife!

Nick July 5, 2021 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 154172)
As far as I can tell, the crash that deposits you on the level you were trying to enter seems to have something to do with player ghosts; as far as I've noticed, every time it's happened there's been a player ghost when I've reloaded the game. In case this is valuable information for debugging, I've been scumming for these crashes going between Amon Rudh 15 and West Beleriand 16; the player ghosts I've confirmed involved when the crash happens are 'BEEFCAKE', 'Dex', 'Judias', 'Klassik', 'Rythil', and 'WildKhaine'.

As for the crash that deposits you on the level you were trying to leave, it's only happened to me once or twice during my bugtesting time, and it hasn't been replicatable; I've been making a habit of saving before attempting to make a transition during this, and when this crash happened it didn't occur when I tried the transition a second time--not sure if saving screwed with the RNG or what.

EDIT: Confirmed the crash that deposits you on the level you were trying is not replicatable; spammed wilderness transitions without saving for a while and found it again, but it still didn't occur when trying the transition a second time.

This is all really useful information. I suspect (well, hope) finding the first issue won't be too hard now, as it's almost certainly related to ghost generation, and apparently after level generation. The second one is happening during level generation, so may be harder to find.

Did you get any instances of the game hanging?

MITZE July 5, 2021 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154174)
Did you get any instances of the game hanging?

No lockups for me, though there were a few instances of the transition taking a non-negligable amount of time to happen; this may or may not be a webserver consequence rather than a game issue though.

(Incidentally, I had been wondering if Rolanako's lockup had just been him coincidentally running into connection issues at the same time--no way to tell now, though.)

Nick July 5, 2021 12:59

OK, I've found a memory error in wilderness and updated - see if that makes a difference.

Cuboideb July 5, 2021 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 154170)
In ui-death.c, line 353. file_close should be outside the infinite loop. If the user answers N that line could never be executed. Perhaps the loop should be closed at line 337.

I tried this fix. Bone files are properly generated now in android.

MITZE July 5, 2021 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154178)
OK, I've found a memory error in wilderness and updated - see if that makes a difference.

Both crashes still happen.

Nick July 5, 2021 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuboideb (Post 154180)
I tried this fix. Bone files are properly generated now in android.

Thanks, I've done an overhaul of that code which includes your fix, and I think it now works properly.

Crashes I will get to another time.

MITZE July 8, 2021 05:11

Bug Spotted?
 
Perhaps a stupid question (because I really don't know newFA code), but should line 719 in mon-make.c be false rather than true?

As far as I understand it, the entire function it's in is returning true or false based on whether it's successfully created a player ghost, but that particular line is part of a check to determine whether the monster is supposed to be a player ghost at all?

Nick July 8, 2021 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 154276)
Perhaps a stupid question (because I really don't know newFA code), but should line 719 in mon-make.c be false rather than true?

As far as I understand it, the entire function it's in is returning true or false based on whether it's successfully created a player ghost, but that particular line is part of a check to determine whether the monster is eligible to be a player ghost at all?

I think you're right, and I'll change it, but in practice it shouldn't make a difference because that check is also done before the prepare_ghost() function is called.

MITZE July 12, 2021 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154277)
[08:50] Nick: OK, let's hope it's just ghosts then
[08:52] Nick: Start of level with ghost, reloading with ghost, encountering ghost, or something else?

Continuing the webserver conversation, but it's still the same problem: there are relatively frequent crashes when you go to transition to a new level (only in the wilderness? I should probably check that.).

After the crash happens, reloading the game will put you on the level you were trying to transition to, and as far as I've noticed there's always a player ghost on said level.

Nick July 12, 2021 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 154356)
Continuing the webserver conversation, but it's still the same problem: there are relatively frequent crashes when you go to transition to a new level (only in the wilderness? I should probably check that.).

After the crash happens, reloading the game will put you on the level you were trying to transition to, and as far as I've noticed there's always a player ghost on said level.

OK, I'll do some testing offline too, and if it keeps not happening we'll blame Gwarl (or probably the interaction of player ghosts with multiuser setup, actually).

Nick July 13, 2021 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZE (Post 154356)
After the crash happens, reloading the game will put you on the level you were trying to transition to, and as far as I've noticed there's always a player ghost on said level.

Is it always a preloaded ghost, or always an actual player ghost, or some of both?

MITZE July 13, 2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154372)
Is it always a preloaded ghost, or always an actual player ghost, or some of both?

As of this reply, I'm getting it with both player ghosts and maintainer ghosts.

clouded August 6, 2021 15:18

1 Attachment(s)
Non ghost related crash trying to enter Belegost. Attached savefile is next to the stairs.

Couple other things: first couple of items I came across were amulets of insight that were ignored and hidden, they are both useful so that seems undesired.
Would be nice if running delay was an option, not sure why someone would want a regular movement delay but slowing down the running animation would help keep track of yourself.

Nick August 7, 2021 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouded (Post 154716)
Non ghost related crash trying to enter Belegost. Attached savefile is next to the stairs.

Savefile works fine for me, so no idea what's going on there. Which version are you playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouded (Post 154716)
first couple of items I came across were amulets of insight that were ignored and hidden, they are both useful so that seems undesired.

As of now a while (a few weeks ago?) there is no ignoring of any jewellery, so I suspect this is a hangover from previous games if you're using the same savefile.

With this and the last one it could be a result of major development changes over the life of your savefile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clouded (Post 154716)
Would be nice if running delay was an option, not sure why someone would want a regular movement delay but slowing down the running animation would help keep track of yourself.

The original movement delay was introduced for if you want to play on a laptop using only the cardinal direction arrow keys, so you can press down then left to go south-west. Point about running noted, I've filed an issue.

clouded August 7, 2021 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154723)
Savefile works fine for me, so no idea what's going on there. Which version are you playing?

I downloaded this version from a few days ago. Win10, I don't have a dev enviroment set up any more so I'm not building myself. Just downloaded "Release 2.0beta2-181-g4873dabae" and put my savefile in it, still crashes. I suspect it has something to do with houses as the last time I was there I moved my house there. Haven't tried going to other towns yet, I'll try later today.

Edit: testing further, going to another town and setting my home there then returning to that town causes a crash. Birth options are standard wilderness, no_recall on and connect_stairs off. (By the way, connect_stairs off doesn't actually result in disconnected stairs in the wilderness, I could have sworn that someone mentioned this in the thread already but I couldn't find it while searching.)

On jewellery, not sure but those first couple of amulets were ignored. Now when I toggle ignoring on or off they don't get affected, so I guess it only happens when you have zero runes known or something? Edit: Spoke too soon, when I resumed and picked up another item, the amulet of insight in my inventory got squelched again.

Nick August 18, 2021 04:57

In the lead-up to releasing 2.0, I have put the main repo at the old FA repo site, https://github.com/NickMcConnell/FAangband. New code is on the main branch, old on the oldmain branch.

I'll be deleting the repo at https://github.com/NickMcConnell/FirstAgeAngband in due course.

EugeneLesnov August 18, 2021 17:15

Hello, Nick!
It might be a good idea to add the names of cities (and locations) on the global map..Maybe it will be good for roleplaying... or just to understand where you are going to go :)

EugeneLesnov August 18, 2021 20:17

Also there is a little bug report.
I don't really know what happens exactly, but seems like after killing some boss level I got crash (At least 5 times of 5).

My terminal output:
```faangband: mon-msg.c:299: get_message_text: Assertion `race->base != NULL' failed.```

Nick August 18, 2021 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneLesnov (Post 154830)
Hello, Nick!
It might be a good idea to add the names of cities (and locations) on the global map..Maybe it will be good for roleplaying... or just to understand where you are going to go :)

Do you mean the map of the local area that shows what types of levels are nearby?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneLesnov (Post 154833)
Also there is a little bug report.
I don't really know what happens exactly, but seems like after killing some boss level I got crash (At least 5 times of 5).

My terminal output:
```faangband: mon-msg.c:299: get_message_text: Assertion `race->base != NULL' failed.```

Thanks for the report. Are you playing the latest development version? It's possible this is fixed already.

EugeneLesnov August 19, 2021 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 154838)
Do you mean the map of the local area that shows what types of levels are nearby?

Yes, here's screenshot to clarify:
https://imgur.com/a/4AhUObf

EugeneLesnov August 21, 2021 17:18

Another idea..What if we make towns as in the tome, for example.
As far as I understand, towns are randomly generated... we can generate them static with patterns. Just to feel them more..alive and real, I suppose.

Nick August 21, 2021 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneLesnov (Post 154871)
Another idea..What if we make towns as in the tome, for example.
As far as I understand, towns are randomly generated... we can generate them static with patterns. Just to feel them more..alive and real, I suppose.

I do plan to have towns more customised, and some of them (like Belegost) need to be underground. But I want some degree of randomness from game to game still. So my current vague plan is to have some sort of template to build the different towns from which gets filled in differently each time.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.