Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Competition (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Comp 194 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8016)

debo October 6, 2016 03:06

Comp 194

Comp 194 is up. It's a Vanilla half-troll mage.

This is a short one, and is using a ruleset that is different and a bit more intense that how we normally play these. If it doesn't work out -- oh well, we've wasted at most a week!

GLHF

debo October 6, 2016 12:11

Uh, I apparently set birth_no_recall by accident. Given it's a week-long comp and that we'll probably do more of these, I'm inclined to keep it this way and see how people creatively work around it :p

Ingwe Ingweron October 6, 2016 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 113332)
Uh, I apparently set birth_no_recall by accident. Given it's a week-long comp and that we'll probably do more of these, I'm inclined to keep it this way and see how people creatively work around it :p

The no-recall isn't a problem; I'm just glad it isn't forced-descent! :D

dos350 October 11, 2016 16:02

let me be the first to say i died in town while trying 2 kill maggot

Nick October 11, 2016 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos350 (Post 113533)
let me be the first to say i died in town while trying 2 kill maggot

Nice - I nearly did too :)

debo October 13, 2016 12:48

Congrats to Ingwe for a clutch win, Powerwyrm for a close runner-up, and to ranger jeff for rounding out the top 3.

ranger jeff October 14, 2016 00:43

Oh, I forgot to say, I died of boredom a little while after the last dump. Player, not character. So much tedious grinding and don't think I got any great drops to accelerate my dive. Hardly any stat gain, no melee really given that most tough monsters would take 40+ rounds to kill, given little damage and that I miss a lot. And no missile for lack of missiles. Starting to get some mp but no good damage spells yet so everything tough takes 20+ acid bolts or whatever. And no motivation to try for a win since I'd rested way too much to possibly be in the running.

Or perhaps I just don't like to play mages...

debo October 14, 2016 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger jeff (Post 113601)
Or perhaps I just don't like to play mages...

The current competition is about as far away from a mage as you can get. You should give it a shot.

Pete Mack October 14, 2016 04:24

@ranger_Jeff
Try a different one with high stealth and good INT. Despite the EXP penalty, High Elf really is ideal: The big boost to early mana lets you dive ridiculously fast. Zero fail on TO (and more powerful escapes) lets you pick your fights to an extreme degree. You can find stat potions in deep vaults. You do need to be willing to use devices, archery and lots of buffing to finish off big-HP monsters

Derakon October 14, 2016 04:49

If you want an "optimized" mage class, Gnome is really the go-to. No significant XP penalty, decent stats especially INT, and the best base magic device skill in the game. Free Action is also IMO a better intrinsic than See Invisible, albeit not by much. They are weaker and more fragile than High-Elves, which is annoying, but I'll take the improved XP penalty as more than compensation.