Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Angband player's age (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9977)

mrfy April 14, 2020 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 144525)
Not that quickly, I actually have some months, but it's close enough that I had to think which bracket I was in. Which probably says something itself...

Oh yeah, I'll jump to the next bracket in about 6 months. I try to forget about that, stopped having birthdays, but that trick didn't seem to work.

tangar April 14, 2020 08:16

Damm.. Just noticed I'm jumping next bracket quite soon too :eek:

Quote:

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Gauss April 14, 2020 10:16

I think this poll reflects well how graphics influence young people on videogame opinion. I'm on the 18-24 bracket and all my mates who i showed the game hoping to recruit more players, had the same reaction. They can't understand how a game with such crappy graphics(in my opinion they are beautiful) can have such an interesting and deep gameplay.

Monkey Face April 14, 2020 18:36

Sounds like this poll would have much different results in the not too distant future. I jump brackets in less than 3 months.

fph April 14, 2020 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gauss (Post 144535)
I think this poll reflects well how graphics influence young people on videogame opinion. I'm on the 18-24 bracket and all my mates who i showed the game hoping to recruit more players, had the same reaction. They can't understand how a game with such crappy graphics(in my opinion they are beautiful) can have such an interesting and deep gameplay.

Just to be curious: did you show your mates the game with tiles, or with ASCII graphics? Is it just the graphics that they hate, or something else as well (for instance the complex controls or the permadeath)?

DavidMedley April 14, 2020 18:55

Yeah, that's weird. I jump brackets in November as well.

Squeak April 14, 2020 20:52

I switched brackets a few months ago.

It seems like most people currently playing angband and its varients are in their late 30s to early 50s. I remember there was a similar age survey a few years ago. Were the age ranges the same or is the angband population just getting overall older?

EpicMan April 15, 2020 04:23

I started playing in the <12 bracket (not much less though) and this past year jumped into 35-44 bracket.
So playing for around 24 years, off and on again. Started with Moria, then some old version of Angband, then Oangband (which ran on an old secondary computer for about 11 years), then I moved on to TOME2 & Hengband. Now I mostly play poslikes.

Driftwood April 17, 2020 01:08

32 here. Been playing for about 10 years or so though ever since I found Angband on a PC Gamer demo disc I swiped from one of the magazines at the store I worked nights at. I'm still playing 3.2.0 because I only just learned there were newer versions. Once I'm done my so far so good game I may go for the update.

DavidMedley April 17, 2020 01:17

Welcome back! I also returned after a decade-plus away in October.