Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   v4 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New version of v4 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5284)

Old Coach February 10, 2012 02:25

Thanks. That fixed the issue. I actually had to put the # in front of lines 901 and 902, which are the svals for the scrolls of *Enchant Weapon* and *Enchant Armor*. That fixed all the graphics issues. I am not sure what will happen when those scrolls are generated on the floor. I assume I will just see the ? symbol looking very tiny.
Not sure if this is unique to my version or if it is a bug in the latest build that needs to be fixed.

Thanks again!
Fred

buzzkill February 10, 2012 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Coach (Post 66758)
Thanks. That fixed the issue. I actually had to put the # in front of lines 901 and 902, which are the svals for the scrolls of *Enchant Weapon* and *Enchant Armor*.

It would be my guess that the *enchants* were probably removed from the game.

Magnate February 10, 2012 21:51

Ok, just posting some known bugs in this current version, to save people reporting them. They'll be fixed when the archery fixes are released.

1. Inspecting ammo damage shows you loads of slays that neither the launcher nor the ammo have. This is because it's erroneously applying all the melee slays from weapon, rings, etc. Your missile attacks do not actually have these slays.

1b. Inspecting ammo says "It brands your melee attacks with..." or "It causes your melee attacks to slay ..." - this is caused by a single missing parenthesis, which somehow slipped past the compiler.

2. Melee attacks sometimes say "you burn" or "you freeze" when you don't actually have those brands. This is because the monster has HURT_FIRE or HURT_COLD, and it's not checking for the brand. (Ooops.)

3. Rings of the dog have <+0> in their description, when their pval is actually -2. The new pval display code displays only the highest pval (and a short ellipsis if there's more than one) - but it assumes that the highest pval isn't negative. Ooops.

Old Coach February 12, 2012 02:09

Down at DL 20 with a warrior of lvl 20. Combat seems to be pretty well balanced so far, except for a problem with scorpions. With an artifact longsword, (+100, +120) poison brand an a bunch of other flags, gloves of slaying, and 18/10 str and dex, I average 53 damage per swing and 2 swings per round. However, I can only actually damage a yellow scorpion about 1/3 of the times I connect, and the damage is minimal. Took about 100 swings to take out one of these suckers. Is absorption found in the monster.txt file? I could not track it down.

Also, I found this artifact longsword on lvl 10, and it has a TON of flags (+1 to every stat, speed, resistances, light, see invis, free action, a couple slays, and a lot more). How does the RAND_Art generator work? Should I be seeing something this awesome at such a low level?

Also, the sword has "aggravates nearby monsters". I have never used a weapon with this attribute before, but I can't really tell much of a difference with my dwarven warrior of the monster behavior when I am wielding it. How does aggravate actually work?

Thanks!

Derakon February 12, 2012 05:50

IIRC randarts are still buggy because the power calculations are keyed towards the old +to-hit/dam system. So they see e.g. Narthanc with (+40, +60) and think it's Godslayer, generating an equivalently powerful randart in its place.

Absorption is in monster.txt, though it looks like fizzix didn't update the docs at the top of the file. The I: line in each entry has, in order, the following fields: speed, HP, vision range, evasion, absorption, alertness. Giant yellow scorpions have absorption of 15, so you should have been damaging them consistently with 53 average damage/blow.

Aggravation, assuming it hasn't been changed recently, simply means that all monsters are always awake. There's also an aggravation spell, which wakes up everything near you and hastes all monsters in line of sight, but that's different.

Magnate February 12, 2012 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 66821)
IIRC randarts are still buggy because the power calculations are keyed towards the old +to-hit/dam system. So they see e.g. Narthanc with (+40, +60) and think it's Godslayer, generating an equivalently powerful randart in its place.

That's fixed in the version Old Coach is playing (the one announced in this thread). The randart generator is arthritic, but it now copes with all of fin/prow, pval slays and multiple pvals. Coach's randart is quite tame for one that has aggravate.
Quote:

Absorption is in monster.txt, though it looks like fizzix didn't update the docs at the top of the file. The I: line in each entry has, in order, the following fields: speed, HP, vision range, evasion, absorption, alertness. Giant yellow scorpions have absorption of 15, so you should have been damaging them consistently with 53 average damage/blow.
Not without critical hits he won't have been. The 53 includes crits, and I think non-critical base damage is quite a lot lower. I am thinking that crits might need to be capped after all.

Magnate February 12, 2012 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 66788)
Ok, just posting some known bugs in this current version, to save people reporting them. They'll be fixed when the archery fixes are released.

1. Inspecting ammo damage shows you loads of slays that neither the launcher nor the ammo have. This is because it's erroneously applying all the melee slays from weapon, rings, etc. Your missile attacks do not actually have these slays.

1b. Inspecting ammo says "It brands your melee attacks with..." or "It causes your melee attacks to slay ..." - this is caused by a single missing parenthesis, which somehow slipped past the compiler.

2. Melee attacks sometimes say "you burn" or "you freeze" when you don't actually have those brands. This is because the monster has HURT_FIRE or HURT_COLD, and it's not checking for the brand. (Ooops.)

3. Rings of the dog have <+0> in their description, when their pval is actually -2. The new pval display code displays only the highest pval (and a short ellipsis if there's more than one) - but it assumes that the highest pval isn't negative. Ooops.

1b, 2 and 3 are all fixed in 9feb8de, which will be available from the buildbots soon. #1 is actually very tricky, because of the way that slay pvals either affect archery (launchers and ammo) or melee (everything else). Still working out how to fix this, and it's tied up with the overall archery fixes - whether archery is going to use any different mechanics etc. Sorry for the ongoing delay.

PowerWyrm February 13, 2012 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Coach (Post 66816)
Also, I found this artifact longsword on lvl 10, and it has a TON of flags (+1 to every stat, speed, resistances, light, see invis, free action, a couple slays, and a lot more). How does the RAND_Art generator work? Should I be seeing something this awesome at such a low level?

Also, the sword has "aggravates nearby monsters". I have never used a weapon with this attribute before, but I can't really tell much of a difference with my dwarven warrior of the monster behavior when I am wielding it. How does aggravate actually work?

Thanks!

The response is in your second part. Sometimes the randart generator generates a really powerful randart, and adds aggravation to balance it. If it was an artifact long sword, then it was probably based on Ringil's template, which already has a high power.

Derakon February 13, 2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 66847)
If it was an artifact long sword, then it was probably based on Ringil's template, which already has a high power.

Base types for randarts have nothing to do with the standarts they were built from (with the exception of jewelry, I think). You can find Bladeturner in bow form or Ringil as a pair of boots.

Magnate February 13, 2012 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 66850)
Base types for randarts have nothing to do with the standarts they were built from (with the exception of jewelry, I think). You can find Bladeturner in bow form or Ringil as a pair of boots.

... and in modern versions (3.2.0 onwards IIRC) inspecting a randart will tell you what it's based on.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.