Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Idle chatter (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Xcom (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5726)

Magnate October 14, 2012 07:56

Xcom
 
I just discovered that this was released a few days ago - it's apparently a remake of the original UFO Defence / Enemy Unknown game from 1994. Has anybody here tried it? What often happens with these reboots is that the graphics and sound are updated to give it that cinematic feel, but the gameplay is either wholly dumbed-down or so faithfully reproduced that it still has all the irritating quirks of the original. Interested in anyone's view of how they've managed this issue. The original was one of my all-time favourite games.

Derakon October 14, 2012 17:24

I have a bunch of friends who were huge fans of the original; several of them are playing the remake and I haven't heard any rants about how they Ruined It Forever, so so far so good...

zaimoni October 28, 2012 01:39

I'm going to be avoiding it until the first bugfix release (there are some awful ones), but for the most part the re-imagining has designed out the game mechanics that allowed you to shoot yourself in the foot.

Gorbad October 28, 2012 03:21

Having a lot of fun with it, but I have my doubts on longer term replayability.

The main good point that is kept from the original is the tension. Every time you open a door, walk a tiny bit too far for comfort or have to decide whether you want cover on your front or side facing you dread that sound that aliens have been spotted...

Timo Pietilš October 29, 2012 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 73916)
I just discovered that this was released a few days ago - it's apparently a remake of the original UFO Defence / Enemy Unknown game from 1994. Has anybody here tried it? What often happens with these reboots is that the graphics and sound are updated to give it that cinematic feel, but the gameplay is either wholly dumbed-down or so faithfully reproduced that it still has all the irritating quirks of the original. Interested in anyone's view of how they've managed this issue. The original was one of my all-time favourite games.

There is a playable demo that you can download from their website. I suggest you try that before making any decision to buy. To me it looks like they have changed the strategic-portion of the game to eye-candy cinematics which would be very strong "no buy" for me. However I have not actually tried that yet.

I'm fan of xcom series, but have been too busy playing CIV 4 these few weeks to try that demo. CIV is scary, you lose your track of time completely with it. Luckily game can show you clock and you can set alarms to stop you from playing. Really bad case of "one more turn".

Magnate October 29, 2012 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 74419)
There is a playable demo that you can download from their website. I suggest you try that before making any decision to buy. To me it looks like they have changed the strategic-portion of the game to eye-candy cinematics which would be very strong "no buy" for me. However I have not actually tried that yet.

I'm fan of xcom series, but have been too busy playing CIV 4 these few weeks to try that demo. CIV is scary, you lose your track of time completely with it. Luckily game can show you clock and you can set alarms to stop you from playing. Really bad case of "one more turn".

Thanks for the tip about the demo. You're playing Civ IV rather than V? I have to say I *really* liked the move to hexes in Civ V, and I didn't notice any significant steps backwards from Civ IV. Are you playing on an older machine, or do you actually prefer Civ IV?

Timo Pietilš November 2, 2012 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 74422)
Thanks for the tip about the demo. You're playing Civ IV rather than V? I have to say I *really* liked the move to hexes in Civ V, and I didn't notice any significant steps backwards from Civ IV. Are you playing on an older machine, or do you actually prefer Civ IV?

Older machine, but also I don't own Civ V which makes playing it a bit hard. What I have heard about the game makes me a bit reluctant to try it at least until it has got a few "service packs". It actually sound to me like two completely different games. OTOH Civ IV and Civ 2 are also two completely different games.

klassik December 2, 2013 22:47

i'm looking for some copy of the 1994 game. modern games don't hold my interest. they seem to focus too hard on being "modern" or "hardcore" of whatever classification current game makers are striving for. "ahem" ummm....
I am pointing at commercial game makers "cough, cough, ahem, cough, cough".

LostTemplar December 3, 2013 08:19

It have a problem running on a modern computers, in particular even if all animation options are set to slowest possible, it is still instant, so it is impossible to see what happens on enemy turn.

Magnate December 3, 2013 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostTemplar (Post 87359)
It have a problem running on a modern computers, in particular even if all animation options are set to slowest possible, it is still instant, so it is impossible to see what happens on enemy turn.

Isn't that what DosBox is for?

LostTemplar December 3, 2013 20:39

Dosbox say it support x-com so maybe now it works. I dont't remember what emulator I used, but making it slow had broken all sound. Well, it worked but not as nice as needed.

caruso December 4, 2013 19:08

A few years ago I heard about UFO: Alien Invasion and while looking for it, I also just discovered OpenXcom. I haven't tried either of these, but both projects are alive and kicking.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.