Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Current master post 4.2.0 (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9659)

Nick March 28, 2020 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 143993)
What about dropping normal elves a couple points of INT and raising a couple points of WIS?

Races all got left the same in 4.2, essentially because I'd done a massive shakeup of classes and monsters, and races as well would have been a bridge too far.

For my personal take on races, see here.

DavidMedley March 28, 2020 23:12

Yeah, that makes sense for sure.

DavidMedley March 30, 2020 00:17

Where are we with thrown weapons? I see that the thrown damage is shown upon inspection, but it seems really low compared to shooting.

fph March 30, 2020 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMedley (Post 144012)
Where are we with thrown weapons? I see that the thrown damage is shown upon inspection, but it seems really low compared to shooting.

I think thrown weapons have potential, but I find myself never using them.

If I have a good throwing weapon I am unwilling to throw it at a dangerous unique for fear that I have to run away and leave it on the ground. And, for non-dangerous monsters, why using my throwing spear when I can kill them easily even without it...

Maybe it is just my hoarding instinct kicking in though.

Nick March 30, 2020 12:28

Throwing for rogues at least should be competitive. The thing I really ought to do is allow thrown weapons in the quiver, but I haven't got to that yet.

wobbly March 30, 2020 12:43

Possibly allow them to gen in stacks too? 1 throwing hammer of lightning isn't that useful.

fph March 30, 2020 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 144026)
Possibly allow them to gen in stacks too? 1 throwing hammer of lightning isn't that useful.

That would sound good to me. The possible objection is "realism", though.

We all know that Angband characters can browse a book while holding a bow, a greatsword, a shield and a lantern. And that they can carry an insane amount of gear and potions in their inventory. So at this point having a reserve of 10 throwing hammers and throwing them at monsters one per turn like a machine gun doesn't sound like a stretch. :)

Nick April 1, 2020 09:58

New builds are up on the nightlies page and angband.live (source is here) with the following changes:
  • Digestion rate fixed (thanks PowerWyrm)
  • New data file chest_trap.txt and overhaul of chest traps (thanks to a comment by tangar)
  • Removal of obsolete treatment of gold graphics (thanks moosferatu)
  • Massive effort of plugging memory leaks from (naturally) backwardsEric

PowerWyrm April 1, 2020 18:11

Need to check latest V build, but I ported the chest changes today and when I try to open a "locked" chest, my game crashes with trap->effect = NULL...

EDIT: in latest V build, opening a "locked" chest results is "bad effect passed to effect_do() please report this bug".

Nick April 1, 2020 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerWyrm (Post 144104)
Need to check latest V build, but I ported the chest changes today and when I try to open a "locked" chest, my game crashes with trap->effect = NULL...

EDIT: in latest V build, opening a "locked" chest results is "bad effect passed to effect_do() please report this bug".

Thanks, fix pushed.