Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Preparing for 4.2 release (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9455)

Nick July 12, 2019 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voovus (Post 139102)
(d) Keep track of the number of items carried by unique monsters. In other words, each time an item is stolen the total number of drops decreases in all future incarnations of this unique. So if you've already stolen from Wormtongue, then he will have an empty inventory forever after. (This feels clunky, but does not have side effects for other @s.)

This (after looking at how compos does it) is now the plan. In full, then:
  • Stealing to become a bit easier
  • New mushrooms of shadows to increase stealth temporarily
  • Unique thefts will be tracked and their drops reduced

These changes will be in the next build, which will break savefiles.

gtrudeau88 July 13, 2019 23:10

One miniscule suggestion: could high elves, at character generation, not be 8 ft tall?

Thraalbee July 14, 2019 10:42

Feedback
 
I've been trying for a while to score an ironman win with a ranger gnome, kobold and hobbit. Still no win, but enjoyable games. I find the game clearly more difficult than previous version but not in a stupid way. Mostly, I die from attrition. It's not one fight that kills, it's the lack of free consumables. Also I am very happy about the Create Arrows spell. It means I can concentrate on bows after the initial 30 levels(ish).

Two things:
* In 20+ games I think I've found one (1) scroll of teleportation.
* Wand of darkness - does it really hurt foes? how would I know? lore has no knowledge about resistance for darkness

Nick July 14, 2019 13:05

New builds now up on the nightlies page and angband.live, with the following changes:
  • Fix to looking at targeted monsterd so a single space shows the item the monster is standing on (if any), rather than potenitally several
  • Overhead and minimap views now work properly
  • Fixes to stealing suggested by Voovus:
    • Stealing is a bit easier
    • New (deepish) object, Mushroom of Shadows, which gives a +10 stealth boost for a short time
    • Thefts are tracked throughout the game, and stealing successfully from uniques will reduce their drops when killed
As forewarned upthread, this build breaks savefiles.

Pete Mack July 14, 2019 13:36

What'd be really cool is if examined squares just showed a list of everything on the square.
Code:

a d A young red dragon
It is on
b ! 2 potions of resist cold
c , 3rations of food
d | a rapier
on
e #lava

Then pick a letter to see details of the object/monster/(terrain or trap)

Edit:

To do this, you would have to make special purpose listing code that packaged things into proper objects:
Static arrays of:
* Function pointers for suitable lore
* Printing object/monster/etc description (and color)
The menu list would be structs consisting of pointers into the table plus a pointer to the object itself. (You'd really only want to make the function table a singleton object.)

Voovus July 14, 2019 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 139176)
New builds now up on the nightlies page and angband.live, with the following changes:
  • Fix to looking at targeted monsterd so a single space shows the item the monster is standing on (if any), rather than potenitally several
  • Overhead and minimap views now work properly
  • Fixes to stealing suggested by Voovus:
    • Stealing is a bit easier
    • New (deepish) object, Mushroom of Shadows, which gives a +10 stealth boost for a short time
    • Thefts are tracked throughout the game, and stealing successfully from uniques will reduce their drops when killed
As forewarned upthread, this build breaks savefiles.

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Just finished off a Morgoth, so it's perfect timing too. ;)

Spotted two minor bugs:
"Witch" has wrong plural form ("2 witchs").
Wand of darkness appears to do no damage, while claiming that it does (unless it's meant for particular types of monsters that are specifically vulnerable to darkness damage, a la light damage).

Thraalbee July 14, 2019 13:45

Boo hoo - nasty savefile standart/randart bug
 
Tired of losing all my games, I loaded my last (dead) character, said NO to immediate restart, then changed settings from randarts to standarts and then started. And for sure, things went better all the way and just now I had managed to get a short bow of power AND a nice artifact cutlass. Except it was a random artifact! I verified that the =setting was for standards (y) then quit the game to zip the savefile and the randart file for a bug report. Hmmm, there is no randart file. Odd. Restart the game and... crash due to not finding the randart file. Back to rolling up another weak ironman ranger...

Nick July 14, 2019 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voovus (Post 139178)
Spotted two minor bugs:
"Witch" has wrong plural form ("2 witchs").
Wand of darkness appears to do no damage, while claiming that it does (unless it's meant for particular types of monsters that are specifically vulnerable to darkness damage, a la light damage).

First one is actually fixed in the latest build too. Second I need to check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thraalbee (Post 139179)
Tired of losing all my games, I loaded my last (dead) character, said NO to immediate restart, then changed settings from randarts to standarts and then started. And for sure, things went better all the way and just now I had managed to get a short bow of power AND a nice artifact cutlass. Except it was a random artifact! I verified that the =setting was for standards (y) then quit the game to zip the savefile and the randart file for a bug report. Hmmm, there is no randart file. Odd. Restart the game and... crash due to not finding the randart file. Back to rolling up another weak ironman ranger...

OK, will follow this up.

Voovus July 14, 2019 20:33

Newest build seems to have a save game bug: unique monsters appear to come back from the grave when loading a game (all marked as alive in monster memory). :eek:

Got suspicious after killing Maggot's fifth dog...

Nick July 14, 2019 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voovus (Post 139186)
Newest build seems to have a save game bug: unique monsters appear to come back from the grave when loading a game (all marked as alive in monster memory). :eek:

Got suspicious after killing Maggot's fifth dog...

Yep, confirmed. Will get a fix out when I work out what's gone wrong.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.